Recover emails from a broken PST file.

Hi, I am putting this request in from a friend who has the following issue:

I would like to know if anyone has access to
the draft of the .pst specification/standard that Microsoft has
promised to release early next year.

I need this so that I can recover emails from a broken pst file. This
file cannot be recovered with scanpst or linux tools such as those
within the libpff library nor libpst. This file was carved out from a
disk and perhaps not chained properly - i.e., may be not complete or
contain improper clusters. I receive multiple errors in regards to
wrong checksum as well as root nodes, etc. Without knowing how this
pst table is structured, there is no way I can retrieve emails from it.

Can anyone assist in this?
Many thanks, regards Peter.
0
Utf
12/1/2009 12:17:01 PM
outlook.general 7254 articles. 4 followers. Follow

3 Replies
779 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 10

You'll have to contact Microsoft directly about this. Contact details for 
signup are within the blog post;
http://blogs.msdn.com/outlook/archive/2009/10/29/outlook-pst-file-format-and-interoperability.aspx

-- 
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
http://www.howto-outlook.com/
Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more

http://www.msoutlook.info/
Real World Questions, Real World Answers

-----

"pmccrackan" <pmccrackan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:9C941857-6457-4E31-BCBA-43A9DA6DB3D9@microsoft.com...
> Hi, I am putting this request in from a friend who has the following 
> issue:
>
> I would like to know if anyone has access to
> the draft of the .pst specification/standard that Microsoft has
> promised to release early next year.
>
> I need this so that I can recover emails from a broken pst file. This
> file cannot be recovered with scanpst or linux tools such as those
> within the libpff library nor libpst. This file was carved out from a
> disk and perhaps not chained properly - i.e., may be not complete or
> contain improper clusters. I receive multiple errors in regards to
> wrong checksum as well as root nodes, etc. Without knowing how this
> pst table is structured, there is no way I can retrieve emails from it.
>
> Can anyone assist in this?
> Many thanks, regards Peter. 

0
Roady
12/1/2009 1:38:46 PM
Thanks for that. Will see we go.
Regards EPter.

"Roady [MVP]" wrote:

> You'll have to contact Microsoft directly about this. Contact details for 
> signup are within the blog post;
> http://blogs.msdn.com/outlook/archive/2009/10/29/outlook-pst-file-format-and-interoperability.aspx
> 
> -- 
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
> Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more
> 
> http://www.msoutlook.info/
> Real World Questions, Real World Answers
> 
> -----
> 
> "pmccrackan" <pmccrackan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:9C941857-6457-4E31-BCBA-43A9DA6DB3D9@microsoft.com...
> > Hi, I am putting this request in from a friend who has the following 
> > issue:
> >
> > I would like to know if anyone has access to
> > the draft of the .pst specification/standard that Microsoft has
> > promised to release early next year.
> >
> > I need this so that I can recover emails from a broken pst file. This
> > file cannot be recovered with scanpst or linux tools such as those
> > within the libpff library nor libpst. This file was carved out from a
> > disk and perhaps not chained properly - i.e., may be not complete or
> > contain improper clusters. I receive multiple errors in regards to
> > wrong checksum as well as root nodes, etc. Without knowing how this
> > pst table is structured, there is no way I can retrieve emails from it.
> >
> > Can anyone assist in this?
> > Many thanks, regards Peter. 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
12/2/2009 8:07:01 AM
You can try a  tool called Advanced Outlook Repair. You can download a
free demo version at  http://www.datanumen.com/aor/aor.exe . I think
it is a useful repair tool for you. It is easy to recover your PST
file by using its wizard. It is a powerful tool to recover messages,
folders and other objects from corrupt or damaged Microsoft Outlook
PST files.

Detailed information about Advanced Outlook Repair can be found at
http://www.datanumen.com/aor/

Wangdong
0
wangdong
12/3/2009 7:30:50 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Distribution Files for MFC in VS .net 2003
I have an app that was developed under Visual Studio VC++ 6.0 & MFC and deployed at our customer site. I have since installed Visual Studio .NET 2003 and rebuilt the application under the new development environment. I wanted to do a quick test of the executable and copied it up to a test machine and tried to run it. I got a series of "unable to find xxx.dll" errors. I realized that none of the new DLLs were installed on the test machine. Does anyone have a pointer to a good document on what distribution files are required? I know about the obvious ones like MFC71.DLL...

Save formatted text from RichEdit control to rtf-file
Hi , How can I save the text from Rich edit control (2.0) to *.rtf , *.txt , *.doc I tried to get the buffer and putting the buffer to file, then saving the file but the text in the file is something different. Please let me know what to do? Here is the Code I ma using: mFile.Seek( 0, CFile::begin ); CString cBuffer2; int iTotalTextLength = m_oChatMessageControl.GetWindowTextLength(); HWND focusWnd = ::GetFocus(); m_oChatMessageControl.HideSelection(TRUE, TRUE); m_oChatMessageControl.SetSel(iTotalTextLength, iTotalTextLength); cBuffer2 = m_oChatMessageControl.GetSelText(); LPTSTR...

file cloning
I was wondering. How come it is possible to clone a file (using right click copy/paste file), but not possible to do this for other documents (apps and clip-art etc)?. Could it be possible to have an add-in in excel to prevent people from copying documents on their desktop?? -- shnim1 You can copy files that way (rightclick|copy, rightclick|paste). But most windows applications are no longer just simple .exe files (like back in the old DOS days). They usually have tons of other stuff that gets installed with them--and that stuff gets scattered all over your harddrive (windows folder, wi...

Sending email messages without clicking the Send & Receive bu...
Is there a simple way to tell Outlook to send outgoing messages automatically when you click the "send" button? Sometimes I have to click the "Send and Receive" button after I click "send." On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:03:01 -0800, "NewUser" <NewUser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a simple way to tell Outlook to send outgoing messages automatically >when you click the "send" button? Sometimes I have to click the "Send and >Receive" button after I click "send." Since you don't say what vers...

how to build the netsample ipconfig to the exe file?
C:\WINCE500\public\common\oak\drivers\netsamp\ipconfig\ipconfig.cpp i want to make ipconfig.exe. and i could found the sample code. but it source code builded to the lib file. in ipconfig sources files, TARGETNAME=ipconfig TARGETTYPE=LIBRARY SOURCES= \ $(TARGETNAME).cpp the project is .lib file. but the source code has a _tmain() funciton in the source. it's looks possible to compile to the exe file. how can it compile to the exe file? You can add the SYSGEN_NETUTILS and you will have the ipconfig.exe integrated to your OS. Search ipconfig in the cat...

How do I export Lotus Approach files into an Excel spreadsheet?
I need to export data from Lotus Approach to Excel; please help. I am using an old version of Lotus SmartSuite 9.5 and I have Microsoft Office 2003 Basic. Well, I don't know Approach at all but is there a common file format that both use e.g. comma delimited. If so , save in that format from Approach and import into Excel. "LEWOLF" wrote: > I need to export data from Lotus Approach to Excel; please help. I am using > an old version of Lotus SmartSuite 9.5 and I have Microsoft Office 2003 Basic. ...

outlook can't receive exe files
A guy here at work can't get exe files through his outlook. Is there a check to uncheck somewhere to allow it to do this? He can receive normal attachments. ...

Catch all outgoing email on Exchange and send copy to specified account
Hi all. I have been asked to find out if there is anyway to configure our mail server to catch all outgoing email from certain email accounts on our Exchange 2003 Enterprise server and forward a copy of this email to a specified account, also on the Exchange server. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful. On 25 Oct 2006 04:10:54 -0700, googlegroups@tlbsolutions.com wrote: >Hi all. > >I have been asked to find out if there is anyway to configure our mail >server to catch all outgoing email from certain email accounts on our >Exchange 2003 Enterpr...

retrieving folders.old file
probably been posted before, but need some help. i was getting the "MSIMN has caused an error in directdb.dll" i found the solution by renaming the folders.dbx file to folders.old. here's the problem, i opened express back up and my sent folder was empty. my question is, how or can i retrieve that old sent message list?? ...

Need code snippet to read offline PST file
Hi friends, I have a PST file in my local hard disk and have requirement to read PST file and parse through all folders and then each message item in all folders and then segregate them to different folders based on subject line. Please kindly send the code for the above requirement. Thanks & Regards Ramesh -- ramserp You're going to have to write your own code. Do you know anything about Outlook programming at all? You can start out by looking at information and code samples at www.outlookcode.com. -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] http://www.slo...

Prioritize Internal Email
Is there a way in Exchange 2003 for me to set delivery of internal email to a higher priority than internet mail? -Patrick What specific issue are you trying to address? -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "Patrick" <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2FD55EB5-475C-46B6-AB3A-1C697E62DF72@microsoft.com... > Is there a way in Exchange 2003 for me to set delivery of internal email > to a > higher priority than internet mail? > -Patrick ...

Excel 2000 vs. Excel 2002
I am having troubles with a workbook that I created that is havin problems opening. I created it in 2002, and it opens fine in Excel 2002 for other people However, when I send it to someone who has Excel 2000, it takes over a hour to open. Now I also made a very similar report that works just fine whe trasferred to excel 2000. Here are a couple of stats on the workbook that is having problems: 1.5mb 500+ externel links 500+ subtotals 200+ simple calculations (a1+b1; a1/b1;etc..) 1 Worksheet in the book. 2 columns with conditional formatting Thanks, Joh -- Message posted from http://ww...

Any FREAKIN' way to import DBX files into Outlook 2003
I've tried: Importing via Outlook | Import from another Program or File Importing via Outlook | Import Internet Mail and Addresses Exporting from Outlook Express Tried Many, many times... Can Microsucks make this any more complicated... It's a FREAKIN' DBX file collection NO - No other Application has it Open. YES - The Files ARE there YES - the Internet Account IS there Yes - I've wasted more of my time IMPORTING into Outlook Express in VISTA just to RE-EXPORT back to Outlook. What a bunch of freakin' idiots... Another 2 hours wasted - because one Microsoft applica...

recieving emails
I get an error message while recieving my emails (send and recieve) and when I hit the button again it starts recieving from the begining again resulting in duplicate messages then it ends in an error like the beginning again. My email is Yahoo mail plus Dorisall wrote: || I get an error message Which is? -- Interim Systems and Management Accounting Gordon Burgess-Parker Director www.gbpcomputing.co.uk Dorisall <Dorisall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I get an error message while recieving my emails (send and recieve) > and when I hit the button again it starts reci...

Program Trying to Access Email Addresses #3
Outlook 2002. When I try to create new mail, forward, or reply I get a dialog box telling me: A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected, it may be a virus and you should choose "No". How do I determine what program is trying to access the Outlook addresses? I have up to date Norton Anti-virus definitions and have done a system scan, with nothing detected. Thanks for the help. ...

Can't receive EMail #5
Keep getting this pop up along with 'server did not connect within 60 seconfs, do I want to wait A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'Richard', Server: 'pop.east.cox.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19 Please reply using lmmurray@cox.net Thanks! Hi RASZ, please read this information from Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;813518 -- Ich habe nichts gemacht, gestern gings noch! Bitte in den Newsgroup antworten damit jeder etwas davon hat. Bravestar@Datenschutzminis...

Opening .prn files in XL2000
I am using a software that does not save data/reports in .csv or .xls formats; only in printed versions. Is there a way to save the printed report in a file and open the file in XL2000? If there is, how is the print file produced, where is it saved, etc? A friend suggested setting up a generic printer but didn't know how to go about it. You may want to give that other software just one more chance--look under File and see if there is a SaveAs option. You may find something upon further review. But if you want to add a generic printer, I think it'll depend on your version of win...

email icon
I have an email in my inbox in windows live mail and the envelope icon has a red or purple arrow pointing to the left. What does this mean? -- xgdude It indicates that you replied to that message. A green arrow pointing right indicates that you forwarded the message. Dave N. MS-MVP (Mail) Windows 7 Ultimate 64 http://download.live.com/wlmail "xgdude" wrote in message news:04BCD8E8-B64A-4385-B601-55095BC34F42@microsoft.com... I have an email in my inbox in windows live mail and the envelope icon has a red or purple arrow pointing to the left. What does this...

emails not showing up in deleted items until i do a find?
This just started happening a last week. A message comes in the Inbox and I click the delete key so delete it.. so far ok. then i go into the deleted items folder it's not visible. but if i do a find then they show up in the find box but still not in the folder. any ideas? this program makes me crazy sometimes *s* thanks starindy <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > This just started happening a last week. A message comes > in the Inbox and I click the delete key so delete it.. so > far ok. then i go into the deleted items folder it's not > visible. b...

some emails not coming through internally
Hello, I have a 3COM NBX phone system. It has the capability of sending an e-mail to a user with the voice message attached. That system is on my 10.1.x.x network. My exchange server is on my 10.3.x.x. network. There's a place in the NBX system to put the name of the SMTP server. I've tried both the email.mydomain.com and the IP address of the server. The messages do not come through. If I change the e-mail address for delivery to an account such as yahoo.com, it comes through no problem. I have a test exchange server at home. If I set it to go to that, goes no where. I ...

Only new email window?
Is there a way that I could have a shortcut on my desktop that does not open the whole application, but rather ONLY open my new email window? I send out a lot of email, and I also have a lot of other apps running. Please let me know if that is possible. Thank you, Steve Steve F. <sf@flintind.com> wrote: > Is there a way that I could have a shortcut on my desktop that does > not open the whole application, but rather ONLY open my new email > window? I send out a lot of email, and I also have a lot of other > apps running. Create a shortcut whose target is: "%Pr...

Re: Outlook wont send to emails hypered to from the net
No. I installed the Google Bar recently which does have one, but it isnt in use. I was having this problem beforehand anyway. (Google bar = 1 day old, Problem = since I got the PC). Amb "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <dianenws@poremsky.com> wrote in message news:OPXxDqeuDHA.2448@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > are you using a popup stopper? > > -- > Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] > Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours > Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) > > Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ > > Search for ans...

Launching URLs from email
URLs in my emails suddenly will no longer launch when clicked. I am using Office/Outlook 2000. Only recent change is the installation of Norton Internet Security, but I think I had ok launches since then. Any help would be appreciated. ...

Send Quote via Email
I have created a quote and would like to send it via email Is this possible without getting too technical! Hi Andrew, (1) In Outlook client using Mail Merge * Open the quote * File-->Format for Customer * Walk through the mail merge steps using "quote.dot" template This template could potentially be modified for more/less data. (2) Download the sample quote report by EdMar from CRM Sandbox The rdl file is at http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm under the Downloads section with title "Quote Sample Report". Download this file and import it to your reports s...

Inbound email being processed as folder under Inbox
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I got a database daemon error, and Entourage forced me to rebuild the database. <br><br>Once the database was rebuilt, I relaunched Entourage and my new messages were processed as folders with a .EML extension under the Inbox. If you click on them, there is no content in the folder. Entourage has also stopped receiving new mail messages entirely. <br><br>While my database was being rebuilt, I accessed my Exchange account via both Webmail and an Outlook client on Window...