Read receipts not returning

Hello,

We have a user who uses the read receipt option in Outlook 2007.  Recently
he has been complaining that he does not get as many read reciepts back
anymore.  He said they have dramtically stopped about a difference of 95%.
Nothing has been changed on the Exchange side so what else could be causing
the problem of him not recieving all of his read reciepts back?

Thanks!!

Sending a read receipt is controlled by the person receiving the e-mail.
If they elect to prevent the sending of them your user isn't going to
get them.

DC wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have a user who uses the read receipt option in Outlook 2007.  Recently
> he has been complaining that he does not get as many read reciepts back
> anymore.  He said they have dramtically stopped about a difference of 95%.
> Nothing has been changed on the Exchange side so what else could be causing
> the problem of him not recieving all of his read reciepts back?
>
> Thanks!!

0
Bob
2/24/2010 6:03:23 PM
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 12:03:23 -0600
Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> articulated:

> DC wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > We have a user who uses the read receipt option in Outlook 2007.
> > Recently he has been complaining that he does not get as many read
> > reciepts back anymore.  He said they have dramtically stopped about
> > a difference of 95%. Nothing has been changed on the Exchange side
> > so what else could be causing the problem of him not recieving all
> > of his read reciepts back?
> >
> > Thanks!!

> Sending a read receipt is controlled by the person receiving the
> e-mail. If they elect to prevent the sending of them your user isn't
> going to get them.

Personally, I have the auto reply to read receipts turned off in my
MUA. That, plus the fact that I routinely discard mail I receive via
BCC has helped reduce the amount of nuisance material I receive.

--
Carmel	|::::=======
	|::::=======
	|===========
	|===========

0
Carmel

> Sending a read receipt is controlled by the person receiving the e-mail. If
> they elect to prevent the sending of them your user isn't going to get them.

Not in an Exchange environment.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian
2/24/2010 7:00:37 PM
DC wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have a user who uses the read receipt option in Outlook 2007.  Recently
> he has been complaining that he does not get as many read reciepts back
> anymore.  He said they have dramtically stopped about a difference of 95%.
> Nothing has been changed on the Exchange side so what else could be causing
> the problem of him not recieving all of his read reciepts back?
>
> Thanks!!

Simple.  He has nuisanced his recipients with REQUESTS for read receipts.
The default configuration in their e-mail client issues a prompt when that
request is received (which is via a header in the e-mail).  This prompting
alerted them that someone wanted to spy on when they read their e-mails.  As
a consequence, the users became aware that tracking was a feature of their
e-mail client that they could TURN off - and they did.  So now all those
recipients that were nuisanced before have configured their e-mail clients
to IGNORE any such requests for a read receipt.  They got educated because
of the nuisance initiated by your "user".

Unless the recipients are within the same company and there also exists a
policy regarding the use of read receipts (when they may be used, that every
employee must leave tracking enabled) then your user has no way to force his
recipients to acknowledge a *request* to send a read receipt.  However,
while a company may require their employees to configure the tracking option
to Always send a read receipt (or it gets pushed by policies), the default
configuration for Exchange, I believe, is to strip that header from e-mails
that go to outside recipients or come from outside senders through the
company's mail server.  That is, the header gets stripped from any e-mails
sent outside the company and it gets stripped from e-mails coming into the
company from outsiders.

You should full well understand how read receipts work if this "user" is
relying upon you for their Outlook support.  My bet is this user's
recipients got alerted by the prompt that asks if they want to send a read
receipt; however, that prompt actually prodded them to DISABLE (by ignoring)
any such requests for a read receipt.
0
VanguardLH

need some help please, read inside, cheers!!
Hello Peeps! I am trying to work out a formula that can count multiple strings i.e. =COUNTIF($E$3:$E$40,"Setup") But not only have it count look for the word setup, have it look for another word to i.e!!! =COUNTIF($E$3:$E$40,"Setup", "Done") This doesn't work but u get the jist of what i need, any help would be much appreciated!!me! Thanks Alot Kami Wilson Use separate countifs: =COUNTIF($E$3:$E$40,"Setup") + COUNTIF($E$3:$E$40,"Done") Andy. "Wilson" <Lordwils@btopenworld.com> wrote in message news:78na00ppvvbsqt...

I cannot read forwarded messages. I only get an email address
For some reason, when someone forwards a message to me all that shows up is the email address of the person who originally sent the message. Any ideas? Change your View>Encoding setting. "Michelle10000" wrote: > For some reason, when someone forwards a message to me all that shows up is > the email address of the person who originally sent the message. Any ideas? ...

Reading raw messages
I'm having a spam problem (yes, I know, who isn't!!!) and I would like to read the raw message, as it comes in from the POP server. I want to examine the message headers, etc. I can either do this in Outlook 2003 or in Exchange 2003, as I own and run both. When I was running MDaemon, I could access the mailbox store and read the raw messages. Ms, in their wisdom, in Exchange 2003, make this very difficult and hide this "raw" information away. I reckon Exchange Server is the place to look - if you export messages from Outlook 2003, even in text mode, you only get the sanitis...

Send email without read access for queues
I got the problem that a user should be able to send emails with the webclient but he should not be able to see the defined queues. Thats not possible. In my opinion it does not make sense at all that you need read privileges on queues to send emails out of the web client. That should be changed. My suggestions are: 1. Let users send emails when they have the privilege to create activities. or 2. Define a new privilege for sending emails AND (I find that one pretty important) 3. Show only those items in the queue that a user has at least read privileges for. In my case the user doe...

Cash Receipts Apply to
Using IM to import cash receipts. The apply to exceeded the receipt amount and it was posted - is there a way to unapply part of this? If I go to the apply to window and try to unapply I receive an error. If I try to apply anything else for this customer I receive another error. Any suggestions? Thanks! ...

Return to Column A #2
There was a post almost a month ago on this subject. The question posed was a good one though the answers returned didn't really answer the need. It's easy to move to the right on enter but how do you move to the next row and first column if you are at the end of the first row. Yes one can hit down arrow/home or Home/down arrow but this is a little annoying. If a sheet is protected and cells are locked, isn't there an easier way to do this more elegantly? Thanks in advance for your thoughts, Greg Say you start with A1 selected. Type something in A1 and hit the Tab key...

reading file name from folder function
I am using Access 97. Just wonder if there is a fuction which can read all the file name from a folder and put it to a column in a table. Please let me know. Thanks. Hi. >I am using Access 97. Just wonder if there is a fuction which can read all >the file name from a folder and put it to a column in a table. Please see the getFileInfo( ) function in the tip, "How to compare the contents of two directories," on the following Web page for an example: http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/vba1.html HTH. Gunny See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs. See http...

(Advance Programming) Parameter Returned as Value
Hi, I wish some body could Help Me, I have being loocking for a solution for 2 days. I need to make a simple Query to check if the parameter values are in a Table. I want the Query to return "Founds" and "Not Founds". For Example: Table Definition: TName CREATE TABLE [dbo].[TName] ( [IdName] [bigint] IDENTITY (0, 1) NOT NULL , [Name] [nvarchar] (30) COLLATE Traditional_Spanish_CI_AS NOT NULL ) ON [PRIMARY] Values: Insert Into TName (Name) Values ('Paul') Insert Into TName (Name) Values ('Peter') Insert Into TName (Name) Valu...

Enter key will no longer return to begining of next row
From one worksheet to the next, the enter key will only activate the cell directly below the current cell. What Have I done to change the direction? Have checked the direction selection in Options and as suggested by MS Help made sure the Down was selected. Doesn't change a thing. Help! Sandy look in Tools | Options | and on the Edit tab check what's in "Move selection after Enter" Regards Trevor "Sandy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:212b01c3e06b$ac7afe50$a401280a@phx.gbl... > From one worksheet to the next, the ent...

Reading Outlook 2003 pst file in Outlook 2007
My computer recently died and has been replaced with a new one running Win 7 / Outlook 2007. Is there a way I can read my old Outlook 2003 emails without importing them into my current email folders? I don't want to clutter up my current inbox with old emails, but I still need access to them. I would like to import my contacts, however. Sure. Use file, open, outlook data file. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-r...

Reading Layout problem, and labels problem.
I am running XP Home Edition. I have Office 2003, Student and Teacher Edition, which has developed two Word problems. - The Reading Layout mode shows only one page instead of two. - When I define labels, there is no border around the labels on the screen. I only recently began creating labels, so I don't know when this came about. I have disabled System Restore, so that isn't an option. I reinstalled Office, but that didn't fix either of the Word problems. I used the Save My Settings Wizard for the reinstallation, and I wonder that that mi...

reading outlook file (email messages)
I would like to read outlook files from my previous computer that was saved onto a cd. How can I access or read these e-mail messages. Is it possible to retrieve attachement as well? Hearing you soon. SF You will need to copy the file to your hard drive, remove the read-only tick mark from the property page and use File->Open in Outlook to open the file. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and find...

Read Receipt Function in outlook
The read receipt option is no longer working in Outlook Small Business Edition for XP 2002. I have not made any recent changes to my outlook setup. Does anyone know how I can trouble shoot this? ...

Returned error.
The error message is: 551 Command RCPT User not local and relaying not permitted from you The computer with Outlook is going through a Win2K router. Does anyone no if I need to change any settings on the router or is there a setting in Outlook that I need to make. ...

Return only the numbers contained in a field
Hello, I would like some help please building a query that will return the numbers only contained in a field: Table "PurchaseOrder" has a "Memo" field that usually has the following data: "Sales Order 7540:" or "Sales Order 34:". How can I create a query that will show me all the Sales Orders and their linked Purchase Orders (PurchaseOrder.RefNumber) where the SalesOrder.RefNumber equals only the numbers in PurchaseOrder.Memo field? Thanks in advance, Brett Welllll. You can but it might not be pretty, accurate, or fast. Actually I'd expect ugly...

Socket probem,GetLastError returns 10038 (Invalid socket handle)
hi all I am implementing SMTP protocol in MFC using Sockets. I am using the CSMTPConnection v1.36 code provided by PJ Naughter at http://www.codeproject.com/internet/csmtpconn.asp The problem is while sending mails sometimes mails are not sent. 1)I am connecting ,sending mail and then disconnecting. The above step is repeated 6 times hence 6 mails should be sent.Sometimes only 4 or 5 mails are sent.But sometimes all 6 mails are sent!!! The problem seems to be while Sending the MAIL command in SendMessage()function The return value of GetLastError() was 10038 i.e Socket operation on ...

Reading Last Row of Data
Is this possible? I have an excel document with two worksheets in it. Worksheet #2 is just a bunch of data sorted by date. Worksheet #1 displays data from the last row of worksheet #2. Is it possible to have excel detect the last row of data on Worksheet #2 and display it on Worksheet #1? Right now I am manually changing the cell references on worksheet #1 as I add data in worksheet #2. Any help would be greatly appreciated! -- sslack ------------------------------------------------------------------------ sslack's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&...

I am using outlook 2003 on winxp pro machine I have some vba coding that I use to strip the attachments off my email and place them into a specific folder. This is running fine, but I would like to fine-tune it a bit. Not sure how to do it and cannot find anything in my 2003 outlook vba book or when I google it, so here I am again. Here is my question Can I mark these emails as having been read during/after I have stripped the attachment off of them. They have never been clicked on so they never get marked as having been read which can become a bit confusing when the number of e...

Strange Issues with Read Receipts Bouncing (Need expert help)
Hi, Currently migrating a company from NT 4 to Windows Server 2003, including an upgrade from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003. The excistingDNS name space for Dns and mail is user@comany.com (old domain)The Dns name space for Dns and mail on the new Domain and AD Server and Exchange is user@company.local. The Dns namespace @company.com is registered on Internet but @company.local is purely for internal addresssing, We are busy with the Exchange Migration. We have setup custom contacts on Exchange 2003 viewable in address book for all users on 5.5 using user@company.com,also with an ad...

How do you stop Macros opening read only files?
I've set up a standard form (form.xls) that copies certain cells values, opens up a database file (database.xls), pastes them neatly in the next avaliable row, saves then closes the database file. However if someone has database.xls open my macro still opens it, copies and pretends to save it without actually saving the data. Basically how can I write a couple of lines that stops the read only database file being opened? If ThisWorkbook.ReadOnly Then Do something End If HTH -- AP "Dave" <dave.woodgate@gmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:1141906746.277585.850...

need to change size of insert screen to read the name of image
I am trying to insert a picture into a word file, but the name of the image is so long, that I can't read the jpg number on the pictures. How do I change the size of the box that lists the photos I am inserting? Double click the "Title bar" of the "Insert picture" dialog box. flpower wrote: > I am trying to insert a picture into a word file, but the name of the image > is so long, that I can't read the jpg number on the pictures. How do I > change the size of the box that lists the photos I am inserting? ...

[Memory] Need help reading my DBCC MEMORYSTATUS
Recently (and, yes, finally) we upgraded our cluster from SP2 to SP3. In the past week we've had to restart the node twice due to memory conditions. Before I call MS, I'd like to see if I can figure out what's happening. SQL Server 2005, SP2, Active/Active cluster (the other active isn't seeing anything like this, but it has different traffic), 32gb of RAM, -g384, Max memory 29696, AWE on. We ran 2 queries when we saw the memory conditions: one to get VAS size, and DBCC MEMORYSTATUS (full results are posted below) At its worst (aka before we restarted and were g...

can't read attachments #2
I can't read email attchments in Outlook Express 6.0. message: OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail I tried the regedit as per the microsoft website but it didn't seem to fix the problem. I appreciate any help that can be offered. regards, Michael Try this site for information on removing the block: http://www.omegageek.com/OESecurity.htm A good website for information on OE is: http://www.tomsterdam.com/ This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different p...

Looking for an envelope template in pub w/return address on back
I would like to add my return address on the back of the envelope in Publisher. Does anyone have a template? ...

RMA should aloow returning of non-inventory items (defect sku)
Returning an non-inventory item (defect sku) Is there any way to enter an RMA on a service, misc., or flat fee item? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=805d90...