Outlook and Word 2003 editing and error problem

This is a problem happened on a company PC that IT controls the
updates (security, anti-virus) in the night. One day morning, I
started having the problems below. I didn't install anything before,
but was sure something was installed by company IT that early morning.
I turned off the PC and it was on the next day.

problems:
1. I can't use mouse to move the cursor to a specific location in the
editing window, but I can on the header (to:, subject). I have to use
arrow keys to navigate when editing.
2. I can't launch Word whenever Outlook is open. Once Outlook is quit,
Word opens.
3. Everytime I quit Outlook, I get "Microsoft Office Word has
encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
inconvenience." errorl. Reover my work and restart Microsft Word is
on. If I leave it on, it will open Word with a blank page. If I quit
Word, I get the same error message again and again unless I uncheck
that box.
4. Word has become much less stable. It crashes often (such as double-
clicking an image in Word doc) and sometimes has its own error
message.

Does anyone happen to know a solution to this?

thanks,

0
liu

Start by contacting your IT department.

liu wrote:

> This is a problem happened on a company PC that IT controls the
> updates (security, anti-virus) in the night. One day morning, I
> started having the problems below. I didn't install anything before,
> but was sure something was installed by company IT that early morning.
> I turned off the PC and it was on the next day.
>
> problems:
> 1. I can't use mouse to move the cursor to a specific location in the
> editing window, but I can on the header (to:, subject). I have to use
> arrow keys to navigate when editing.
> 2. I can't launch Word whenever Outlook is open. Once Outlook is quit,
> Word opens.
> 3. Everytime I quit Outlook, I get "Microsoft Office Word has
> encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
> inconvenience." errorl. Reover my work and restart Microsft Word is
> on. If I leave it on, it will open Word with a blank page. If I quit
> Word, I get the same error message again and again unless I uncheck
> that box.
> 4. Word has become much less stable. It crashes often (such as double-
> clicking an image in Word doc) and sometimes has its own error
> message.
>
> Does anyone happen to know a solution to this?
>
> thanks,

0
Bob
4/30/2010 4:22:37 PM
You can also check to see if Word is the email editor. Open Outlook, click
Tools>Options>Mail Format tab. Uncheck "Use Office Word to edit email
messages". Might get you by until you check with your IT. You could also run
a Detect and Repair from the Help menu. Check both options and click OK.

"liu" wrote:

> This is a problem happened on a company PC that IT controls the
> updates (security, anti-virus) in the night. One day morning, I
> started having the problems below. I didn't install anything before,
> but was sure something was installed by company IT that early morning.
> I turned off the PC and it was on the next day.
>
> problems:
> 1. I can't use mouse to move the cursor to a specific location in the
> editing window, but I can on the header (to:, subject). I have to use
> arrow keys to navigate when editing.
> 2. I can't launch Word whenever Outlook is open. Once Outlook is quit,
> Word opens.
> 3. Everytime I quit Outlook, I get "Microsoft Office Word has
> encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
> inconvenience." errorl. Reover my work and restart Microsft Word is
> on. If I leave it on, it will open Word with a blank page. If I quit
> Word, I get the same error message again and again unless I uncheck
> that box.
> 4. Word has become much less stable. It crashes often (such as double-
> clicking an image in Word doc) and sometimes has its own error
> message.
>
> Does anyone happen to know a solution to this?
>
> thanks,
>
> .

Start outlook in safe mode - does it work? To start in safe mode, close
outlook and hold Ctrl as you click the outlook icon to restart.

Check if word as enabled as the email editor. Disable it and see if it
works better.

Try Detect and Repair on the Help menu.

--
Slipstick

'Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center' (http://www.slipstick.com)

'Outlook Tips' (http://www.outlook-tips.net/)

--
http://forums.slipstick.com

0
Slipstick
4/30/2010 5:39:44 PM
Thank you all for the advice.

It runs fine like it used to be in Safe Mode. Don't know what features
are missing with safe mode though. Maybe I should just use Safe Mode.
Uncheck Word for editing works too. It appears the problem is the
Word. Detect and repair does not help.

I may ask them to upgrade to Office 2007.

Regards,
0
liu
4/30/2010 7:45:09 PM
liu;143576 Wrote:
> Thank you all for the advice.
>
> It runs fine like it used to be in Safe Mode. Don't know what features
> are missing with safe mode though. Maybe I should just use Safe Mode.
> Uncheck Word for editing works too. It appears the problem is the
> Word. Detect and repair does not help.
>
> I may ask them to upgrade to Office 2007.
>
> Regards,

It's either a problem with word or an addin and upgrading to 2007 may
not fix it (but 2007 is much nicer :)) - try a repair install or ask the
admin to do it if your account doesn't have the right permissions.

--
Slipstick

'Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center' (http://www.slipstick.com)

'Outlook Tips' (http://www.outlook-tips.net/)

--
http://forums.slipstick.com

0
Slipstick
4/30/2010 8:35:23 PM
Thank you all for the advice. I've turned the Word off as the editor
and it works fine for now. The editing is not as good as using Word
though.
0
liu

Question -Problem

AD Sync problem

WCF Client serialization problem

Insert one object to partially cover another in Word?
In older version of Word could simply drag one image to cover part of another. I could not do this with XP - it just moves to another position beside the image. Any ideas? hi PRCR, You need to format the image as something other than 'in-line with text' and possibly also to 'allow overlap'. -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "PRCR" <PRCR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44E2FF2E-147D-4DB3-AF9D-E69292A75342@microsoft.com... > In older version of Word could simply drag one image to cover part of > another. I cou...

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

Excel button problem

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

"Find" window not opening in word 2007
I have an issue with the "find" window not opening. It seems to be only affecting one computer on xp. As the find function works on that document if I edit on another PC. I have already tried deleting the normal.dotm file. It worked once then back to same issue. When I select ctrl + f or actually click on the find button on the home tab, word seems to gray out as if the find window is open somewhere, but I can find it. This is completely frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you start Word in Safe mode, then does it work? To start in Safe mode, hold C...

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

Document Viewer installer error

CSV Files and VLOOKUP error

will CRM load on a 2003 server?