OL 2000 way to slow to load

Initially, after booting my machine, Outlook 2000 takes about 2 minutes to
load. After it once loads, I can close it and reload it in a second or two.

Interestingly, after I double-click on the icon, nothing happens for the
entire time and then, a few seconds before it finally loads, the OL intro
window finally pops up.

While I'm waiting for it to load, I do a ctrl-alt-del to see what task
manager is showing but even TM doesn't respond until OL finally loads.

I've run malware S/W (superantispyware) and all is clean.

Any more clues I should look for as to why OL refuses to get out of bed?
--
Jim H.

Does it work quicker when you start Outlook in Safe Mode?
Start-> Run; outlook.exe /safe
(note the space in the command)

If so, it is probably caused by an add-in that you have installed.

For further troubleshooting steps see;
http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntstart.htm

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"Jim H." <JimH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Initially, after booting my machine, Outlook 2000 takes about 2 minutes to
> load. After it once loads, I can close it and reload it in a second or
> two.
>
> Interestingly, after I double-click on the icon, nothing happens for the
> entire time and then, a few seconds before it finally loads, the OL intro
> window finally pops up.
>
> While I'm waiting for it to load, I do a ctrl-alt-del to see what task
> manager is showing but even TM doesn't respond until OL finally loads.
>
> I've run malware S/W (superantispyware) and all is clean.
>
> Any more clues I should look for as to why OL refuses to get out of bed?
> --
> Jim H.

0
Roady

Windows 2000 server exchange 2000 and xp workstation
Ok, I got the snap in and everything but im missing the tab in user propertied that allow you to hide an email address in the global book, along with other protocal restrictions and such. any ideas? You got what snap-in? Did you install the Exchange 2000 Management Tools? Did you install the same SP that is on your Exchange server? Try enabling the Advanced view within ADUC. View, Advanced View. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

publisher version incompatibility issues (2000 & 2002)
I have several users running Publisher 2000. I upgraded a few of them to 2002. My mistake, I will never upgrade just some machines again!!! Is there any exhaustive, definitive reference available explaining all the quirks, incompatibility issues and work arounds for using PUBLISHER 2000 & 2002 together? 5th item from the bottom- http://www.publishermvps.com/Default.aspx?tabid=48 David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP] www.publishermvps.com www.davidbartosik.com "philbert68" <philbert68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0994C513-66C1-4A27-95D7-EAF076C6B93D@micros...

Outlook 2000/2002 rules ---> 2003 problem
Outlook 2000/2002 rules ---> 2003 problem Hi, Ok- 2002 has .pst file that we imported to 2003- and we exported rules from 2002 as well (we have LOTS of folders/subfolders/rules) When we import the rules they all get disabled and all the "move to specified" folder get reset to Inbox. it's like 2003 can't find the destination folders even though they are there. Any help with this issue would be GREAT- re-creating the hundreds of rules will be a bummer. Om if the folder path is not exactly the same - including the pst location (C:\Documents and Settings\username\Loc...

I want to start Excel in Print Preview. What's the quickest way?
I want to start Excel in Print Preview. What's the quickest way? Put the following in the ThisWorkbook code module of your workbook. Private Sub Workbook_Open() ActiveSheet.PrintPreview enablechanges:=True 'or false End Sub -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Newbie seeks quick answer!" <Newbie seeks quick answer!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0E08A1C-62F4-4A15-AA05-D3C9BB32152B@microsoft.com... >I want to start Excel in Print Preview. What's the quickest way? W...

The right way to update a tool bar
Hello newsgroup, I searched pretty hard, but I couldn't find some valuable piece of information about updating tool bars. I have an SDI application with a tool bar. If the user retrieves an image (e.g. by loading from file) I want to enable some buttons in this tool bar. I wrote an OnUpdate... handler for the button, that will check if an image is available (or if the document is "empty"). But I can't convince the tool bar to update (I even tried to invalidate the CToolBar window that displays the tool bar, but this doesn't trigger my OnUpdate... handler). Curiously enou...

Outlook 2000 will not print certain emails
A customer has a problem with Outlook 2000. Certain emails in her Inbox will not print, whereas others will. I cannot see a common factor for the ones that fail, in terms of format (TXT or HTML) or presence/absence of attachment. All emails display OK in Print Preview. The symptom is that when you do File | Print, which displays the Printing Emails dialog box, the (default) printer is greyed out, as are the Page Setup and Define Styles buttons. This is with the Memo Style layout selected; if I change to Table Style, the printer and buttons become enabled. If I press Print with Memo St...

Unable to Open Outlook 2000
All of a sudden, I can't open Outlook 2000. I've been using it for a couple of years. It locked up on Monday so I ended task. Now it won't open from my desktop. I tried to do a repair using the Office Professional 2000 CD that came with my computer. I am in a job search and need access to my contacts, calendar, important saved emails, etc. Can anyone help? Regards, John You may have a corrupted outcmd.dat file. This is the file that stores your toolbar customizations, and when it becomes corrupted, Outlook can't use it at startup to build your toolbars, thus cau...

how to migrate a domain controller from a windows server 2000 to windows server 2008?
i want to migrate a dc from a windows server 2000 to windows server 2008? I have to notice that the above servers are located to differents pc'c. -- Menios ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Menios's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/177837.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/active-directory/1296224.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

ReInstalled MS Office 2000 and it replaced Outlook with Outlook Express
Does anyone know where to get my files back from. I had choosen to put the X thru Outlook so that it would not try to fix it, but seems to have deleted it anyway? scottonga@gmail.com <scottonga@gmail.com> wrote: > Does anyone know where to get my files back from. I had choosen to > put the X thru Outlook so that it would not try to fix it, but seems > to have deleted it anyway? Installing Office 2000 will most definitely NOT replace Outlook with Outlook Express. You'll have to be more accurate in reporting yor problem. -- Brian Tillman ...

Size of Scroll Boxes in MS Excel 2000
Apologies for submitting this simple question, however, it is really bugging me. I have copied a worksheet which had lots of information in it and modified it accordingly - no problems and it now contains less information. BUT, the scroll boxes are really small!!! I have attempted to clear contents and delete empty cells but the scroll boxes are still tiny. Does anyone know how to get Excel to realize that these cells are empty and change the size of the scroll bars accordingly? Any help much appreciated :-) Hi You need to reset Excel's perception of your used range. Have a ...

best way to deserialize xml
I'm at a quandry as to what's the best/fastest way to deserialize an incoming xml stream? I ran a small test on xmlserializer and on a small file it performed 10 times worse then when I used the XMLDocument and deserialized the values myself. Is the xmlserializer really that slow? I'm expecting a file about 1 MB in length and if it's that slow on a 2 K file then I can't phantom how it's going to behave on a 1 MB file. Should I just skip the xmlserializer and XML Dom and go straight to xmlreader and do the deserialization myself? This has been discussed a few times...

Outlook 2000 and XP SP2
Ok. According to the KB (Article842242) "After you install Windows XP SP2, client applications may not successfully receive data from a server. Following are some examples: ...New mail notifications in some e-mail programs." Now I had assumed (first mistake) that this was on NON MS products not Outlook as I would have imagined that MS would have tested XP SP2 with its Office products BEFORE they sent it. In KB Article 883606 it states that "Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Micosoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section......

Exchange 2003 in Windows 2000 forest
Here is our upgrade scenario: Windows 2000 Server/Exchange 5.5 to Windows 2003/Exchange 2003 Currently there are two Windows 2003 DCs and a couple other Windows 2000 member servers and one Windows 2003 web edition server, also a member of the Windows 2000 domain.. I plan to migrate the Exchange 5.5 server over to the new server. The new Exchange server will be a member of the current Windows 2000 domain. Are ther any pitfalls to doing it this way, or should I spend the extra money and get the two DCs upgraded to Windows 2003 also and make it a Windows 2003 forest? "Jason Gallas&q...

Access Runtime 2000 prevents office updates
Hi, I have a strange problem that's been bothering me for a long time. I've finally gotten it narrowed down, but can't find anything else about this on the web. I'm using an application that uses Access Runtime 2000 (developed by someone else.) After I install this application, I can no longer use Office Updates. It'll get to about the 88% mark, then gives me the "Office update is unable to check for updates" screen. If I use "add/remove programs" and remove the Runtime 2000 environment, the updater works just fine. Any thoughts on how I can fix the en...

Speed up loading Outlook Client
Hello, After installing the client I see that outlook takes some time before I can access the folders. This is due to the the tool bar loading (promote emails, tasks etc). Is there a way to speed up the loading of this toolbar? Thanks Justin How long is too long? Outlook requires time to load the views, especially if you have customized them rather extensively. If you want Outlook to open instantly, then you can rename the outcmd.dat file but you will lose any customizations you have done. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion in...

Slow USB drive access
I recently upgraded from 32-bit Vista Ultimate to 64-bit 7 Pro. Under Vista, I had no problems access an external 300gig USB drive with thousands of files. Now, every time I access that drive (even just opening explorer) it has to reindiex, or something that takes it several minutes to finish before I can read any files. What's goling on? What do I have to do to stop this? In the Technet Win 7 Forums the USB problem has been discussed and the problem is mostly associated with certain Intel chipsets and nVidia chipsets. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cat...

How Can I Synchronize Outlook 2000 and Outlook 2003 Folders
System #1 has Outlook 2003 and is permanently connected to the network.System #2 has Outlook 2000 and can be connected to the network but is mobile (it's a laptop). I want to use either/or as aI please for e-mail, calendar, etc. I'm supposing that means making sure each has an identical set of folders/an identical PSTs. Because either could have an open PST, I don't think copying/overwritng a PST on one or the other is a good idea. No MS Exchange Server. And no Net Folders inOutlook 2003 :-(. I'm not really familiar with the concept of Offline Folders, but would that be a way...

Outlook Hyperlink Search Any way to turn it off?
When I download a message in parts, especially with yenc encoding, Outlook begins a hyperlink search on the message. If I don't get the parts combined and saved really fast, this search will slow or almost stop the combining and saving of the message. Any help appreciated. Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterda...

The Way Attachments Appear in E-Mail
I hope I can describe this clearly I use Outlook XP and receive all my attachments from mails that are sent to me "just under the subject line". This means that if I receive say 10 attachments as part of the one e-mail, to open them all up I have to double click on each attachment. Previously my attachments appeared at the bottom of the screen and I could open, say the 10 attached files by highlighting them all via CTRL / SHIFT and hitting return. But I can't now, can ayone help? Thanks "John" <johndoconnor@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:u_3mc.6760$qP2...

Multiple email address in Outlook 2000
I am running Outlook 2000, I get my mail from a MS Exchange server. I have 2 e-mail address's and I receive e-mail to both addresses. Is it possilbe for me to choose which address e-mails are sent from? Also, I would like to know how to set up Outlook so if I reply to a message, the reply will be sent from the address that the original e-mail was sent to. Take a look at ChooseFrom application: http://www.ivasoft.biz/choosefrom.shtml -- Regards, Victor Ivanidze, software developer "Todd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:188a601c41b...

Best Way To Backup
Microsoft offers an add-in that is a PST Backup. Is this the best way to backup my messages, folders, address book, calendar, etc.? Thanks, BTJustice Yes, or just copy your .pst file. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Buford T. Justice asked: | Microsoft offers an add-in that is a PST Backup. Is this the best | way to backup my messages, folders,...

WordArt Conversion from 2000 to 2007
Previous Version: Publisher 2000 Previous: Windows 98 Current Version: Publisher 2007 Current: VISTA, Ultimate Whenever I click on a WordArt in Publisher 2007 that was created in Publisher 2000, there is an error message that it cannot connect to an OLE server. I tried the MS download that was suggested earlier but it did not work. When I then tried to create all new WordArt boxes in Publisher 2007, I was unable to: 1) Apply "Plain Text" 2) Place a border around the WordArt box. The ability to do both is essential, What was really helpful in the Publisher 2000 version of WordArt...

Recovering permanently deleted emails from Outlook 2000
Hi, I set up a rule to 'permanently delete' all junk email. Now I realised that some emails of mine have been deleted. Anyway of recovering them? I now changed the parameters for this feature now!!! Tim Top Man <deltic13@hotmail.com> wrote: > I set up a rule to 'permanently delete' all junk email. Now I realised > that > some emails of mine have been deleted. > > Anyway of recovering them? No need to post more than once. Permanent deletion is, for the most part, permanent and unrecoverable. Tell us, however, what mode you're using for OL 2000...

slow address lookup and saving files outlook 2000
Hello Sometimes outlook is very slow on looking up addresses. I write some letters and then hit ctrl + k for lookup. That sometimes takes 30-45 seconds. Same happens sometimes with saving files from e-mails. It takes 30-45 seconds before the drop down menu in the save window is chooseable. We have a 2003 AD with Exchange 2000 Enterpris. Regards Magnus ...