moving outlook to a new computer

A sudden and unexpected component fault(graphics chip) on the motherboard of
my laptop necessitated the purchase of a new laptop. I had not backed up any
data from the old machine, but have now restored all my documents and files
via an external hard drive adaptor. Unfortunately I'm struggling to transfer
my Outlook data to the new laptop from the old drive. I have followed the
Import/Export wizard in Outlook to import the .pst file after saving it from
the old hard drive, but just get the following message "This Personal Folder
file (.pst) is already in use in the current profile." Any help much
appreciated.

http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

Generally you copy the data files to Documents Folder, Configure Outlook,
then File>Open>Data File.....browse to Documents Folder and open the data
file
What you do next depends

"ms outlook novice manchester" <ms outlook novice
manchester@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A sudden and unexpected component fault(graphics chip) on the motherboard
>of
> my laptop necessitated the purchase of a new laptop. I had not backed up
> any
> data from the old machine, but have now restored all my documents and
> files
> via an external hard drive adaptor. Unfortunately I'm struggling to
> transfer
> my Outlook data to the new laptop from the old drive. I have followed the
> Import/Export wizard in Outlook to import the .pst file after saving it
> from
> the old hard drive, but just get the following message "This Personal
> Folder
> file (.pst) is already in use in the current profile." Any help much
> appreciated.

0
DL
2/10/2010 2:27:59 PM
The correct way to recover your PST is outlined here:

http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

"ms outlook novice manchester" <ms outlook novice
manchester@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> A sudden and unexpected component fault(graphics chip) on the motherboard
of
> my laptop necessitated the purchase of a new laptop. I had not backed up
any
> data from the old machine, but have now restored all my documents and
files
> via an external hard drive adaptor. Unfortunately I'm struggling to
transfer
> my Outlook data to the new laptop from the old drive. I have followed the
> Import/Export wizard in Outlook to import the .pst file after saving it
from
> the old hard drive, but just get the following message "This Personal
Folder
> file (.pst) is already in use in the current profile." Any help much
> appreciated.

0
Kathleen

Crash on 'Send"