FYI on Chk'ing "Change Hotmail Password Every X Days"

I made the mistake of changing my Live Password and then checking the box for
changing it again every X days. I have Hotmail going to Outlook.

Time flies & All of a sudden I'd get a Hotmail Password Request Box
REPEATEDLY popping-up whenever the Outlook Send/Receive was going. After
hours of scratching my head the "Your (Hotmail) Password Has Expired" box
Finally surfaced, and after creating a new one all the pop-ups stopped.

Use this Change-Password feature with the above possibility in mind. FYI

Thanks for sharing - we're seeing a lot a issues with outlook asking for the
password and this could be the cause for some.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Craig S" <CraigS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I made the mistake of changing my Live Password and then checking the box
> for
> changing it again every X days. I have Hotmail going to Outlook.
>
> Time flies & All of a sudden I'd get a Hotmail Password Request Box
> REPEATEDLY popping-up whenever the Outlook Send/Receive was going. After
> hours of scratching my head the "Your (Hotmail) Password Has Expired" box
> Finally surfaced, and after creating a new one all the pop-ups stopped.
>
> Use this Change-Password feature with the above possibility in mind. FYI

0
Diane
12/19/2009 2:32:20 PM
Craig S wrote:

> I made the mistake of changing my Live Password and then checking the box for
> changing it again every X days. I have Hotmail going to Outlook.
>
> Time flies & All of a sudden I'd get a Hotmail Password Request Box
> REPEATEDLY popping-up whenever the Outlook Send/Receive was going. After
> hours of scratching my head the "Your (Hotmail) Password Has Expired" box
> Finally surfaced, and after creating a new one all the pop-ups stopped.
>
> Use this Change-Password feature with the above possibility in mind. FYI

To clarify, this is a webmail (server-side) option, not something in
Outlook.  However, are readers to assume you are using the Outlook Connector
add-in (for IMAP-like access) or you are using POP to access your Hotmail
account.  I don't see how you could see any prompts from Outlook regarding
an expired password when using POP access.

When I logged in using their webmail interface and checked my account
settings to change the password, that option was titled:

  Make my password expire every 72 days

See http://preview.tinyurl.com/ybjjwu2 for Microsoft's short help topic on
this option.  To disable it, change your password again and deselect that
option.
0
VanguardLH