Filter (to removed unread messages) removed, but keeps coming back

On one computer, there was a filter to remove all unread messages from my
inbox. I 'clear all' and the filter is removed, thus both read and unread
messages appear, which is what I want.

But I close Outlook, and reopen it, and suddenly the filter is back! (my
read messages have disappeared).

On another computer, I try this same scenario, and the filter is permanently
removed.

How can I fix the first computer to get the filter removal to be PERMANENT?

Restart outlook using the /cleanviews switch.
See http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/switches.htm if you need help using
switches.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Poll: What version of Exchange server do you use?

"Gail" <Gail@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On one computer, there was a filter to remove all unread messages from my
> inbox. I 'clear all' and the filter is removed, thus both read and unread
> messages appear, which is what I want.
>
> But I close Outlook, and reopen it, and suddenly the filter is back! (my
> read messages have disappeared).
>
> On another computer, I try this same scenario, and the filter is
> permanently
> removed.
>
> How can I fix the first computer to get the filter removal to be
> PERMANENT?

0
Diane

Filter problem
using 2007. I have a sheet with some cells that have no data. Example A B 1 X Y 2 X Y 3 Y 4 X Y 5 Y 6 X Y I need to filter the blanks in column A and then color those rows so column B is highlighted However, when I try to filter column A for blanks, the only one that shows is row 3 - in fact, the only options I have are thru row 3 - the rows 4 and below do not show. is there a way to do this? regards, glen I'd remove the autofilter from that sheet and then select the entire range and reapply the autofilter. I never let exc...

12 hive log files, which ones are safe to periodically remove??
We back up all our 12 hive contents nightly. The log files build up on the backup server though they are apparently cleaned out on some schedule within the SharePoint WSS server itself. Which log files are safe to regularly remove from the backup server?? All of them, what?? How much extra log files backup should we keep on the backup server?? Thank you... ------=_NextPart_0001_7DB2B72D Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello Tom, First off the logging level defines disk usages for SharePoint ULS Logs. So you might want to verify if SharePoint Serve...

Keep rows on same page in Excel
Is there a way to tag rows in Excel so that they stay together (same page) when printing? I have sub heading rows in a spreadsheet that I would like to make sure stay with the subsequent rows when I print it, instead of leaving some one one page and the others on the next. If same sub-headings for each page, use File>Page Setup>Sheet>Rows to repeat at Top. Select the top 4 rows and OK. If sub-headings are different for separate sections(pages) then I would suggest setting manual Page Breaks. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:19:08 -0800, SWeyer <SWeyer@discussi...

Outlook message editing problem
Running Outlook 2000 If I edit a colleagues message, Outlook puts my text in blue, any sentence I type automatically gets a leading space and it is in a different font. 1. Can I temporarily turn this off on a per-message basis? How? 2. Can I permantely turn this off? How? I wish to edit in the font, point size, colour of the actual message without Outlook inserting anything or changing the font charactistics. I have looked under Tools -> Options but cannot find it under the myriad of complex options. Thanks Stephen Howe What it comes down to is I don't care about Style or Style...

Why does Outlook keep connecting to my archive PST file?
I'm trying to offload some messages in my Outlook Personal Folder. I exported a folder as an ARCHIVE .pst file. In outlook, it said the folder was 300mb. It seemed to run quite a while but finally the PST file stopped incremeting in size at around 700mb. I let it sit for a while and after it didn't increment anymore, I quite Outlook and the archive.pst.tmp file dissappeared. Now every time I launch Outlook, it creates a new '~archive.pst.tmp' file in the same directory as my archive.pst file. Why does it do that? Should I be concerned? Can I now move this archive.pst f...

Form keep the focus unable to get to the code
I designed a form, which on open of excel gets the focus, on which I had a button to allow me to get to the code whilst developing the form. I copied the button then made the original button not visible. I then opened the form only to find that neither button worked. Now when I open excel it sets the focus to the form and I cannot get off the form to the code to put the button back to visible or to make any other changes. The form on close opens outlook and when outlook closes it closes excel. How can I get off the form to allow me to edit the code or a worksheet or infact anything? ...

Automatically send and receive messages
I'm trying to set up my email account to send and receive messages automatically. I've ticked Tools, Options, Internet E-mail and "Check my local connection for messages every 2 minutes", turned my machine on and off, but it still won't automatically send and receive. Any other helpful bits of advice? I'm running Outlook 2000. So far have wasted about 3 hours trying to get it to work! Do you have your connection type set to LAN instead of dialup? It shouldn't matter whether or not you're actually using a LAN connection. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outl...

Automatically sent e-mail messages
When I accidentally press the Enter and the Shift buttons at the same time when writing an e-mail message, Windows Mail sends the e-mail. I would like to disable this feature. Do you know how I can do this? Thank you. Shift and Enter should not do that. Alt + S will for sure. Tools | Options | Send. Uncheck: Send messages immediately. If you accidently send it, it will be in the Outbox and you can either finish typing there or drag it to Drafts. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Janet" <Janet@discussions.micros...

Messages marked as replied to
I've noticed that messages are marked as "replied to" if they are saved as a draft - even if the message is not actually sent. Is there any way of clearing the "replied to" flag? Otherwise, can Outlook 2003 be set up to mark messages as "replied to" when the message is actually sent, rather than when it is saved as a draft. I could turn off the "automatic save" option, but I am not keen to do this... ...

New Message Want Open To Defaut Font or View
Outlook 2000- when I click on New Message, it opens up in Web Layout(View)and not my default font everytime,I have to manualy do it.Have also run Detect & Repair, no help. ...

Security Updates will not Install
I am sick of seeing that I have updates - going through the process - comes back with failed and error code..when I click to get help with error code - there is no code like that listed in help. Well, Betty, seeing the wealth of information you gave about your OS, which updates are failing, and any verbatim error messages, the only help that can be offered to you is our local mind reader/soothsayer, but he'll be out of this solar system for the next 50 years. Tough luck! -- "Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.&qu...

Front-End/Back-End Configuration
Hello all.., need help as in subject above . I'm starting a project for FE/BE configuration. Our exchange organization has three exchange 2003 enterprise servers in one organization. All works well. Recently we have a need to deploy RPC-over-HTTP for our mobile users, so we start the FE/BE deployment. Due to our network configuration and resources, we choose to deploy a FE server in or DMZ network. The steps we have done are: 1. Install E2003 in W2K3 server, it's a member server of our domain. And the new Exchange server also part of our existing exchange organization. The...

The e-mail message could not be delivered because the user's mailfolder is full
I just recovered from a relay attach and now only one email seems to have fallen in the process. When ever I email this account from outside of the network I get the message back with this as the error: The e-mail message could not be delivered because the user's mailfolder is full But people inside the network can send email to this account no problem. Can anyone give me an idea on what is causing this. On 26 Feb 2007 15:27:05 -0800, "frogman7@googlemail.com" <frogman7@googlemail.com> wrote: >I just recovered from a relay attach and now only one email seems to >...

Cannot remove last 5.5 server
Hi All, I need some guidence in removing the last 5.5 server. We migrated to exchange 2003 with out any problems, we moved all the mailboxes and public folders to the new 2k3 server. I removed the ADC prior to reading the KB article that shows how to remove the last 5.5 box, which states that after I delete the 5.5 server I have to force replication of the config_CA in order for the deletion to replicate. My question is should I just install the ADC once again or can I remove the server without affecting Exch. 2k3 using ADSI Edit (KB 328668)? I need to remove this box but I am nervous...

Keep Focus
The code below alerts the user that some fields are blank. It works until the last line!!! How can I make it keep the form open an go to the first blank field, then the second etc..(I'll be adding more)??? Private Sub Form_Close() If (IsNull(Me.FirstName)) Or (IsNull(Me.LastName)) Then If MsgBox("Do you want to Edit Member Information now?", vbQuestion & vbYesNo, "Question") = vbYes Then (Me.???) ???.SetFocus On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:16:00 -0800, Dan @BCBS wrote: > The code below alerts the user that some fields are blank. > It works until t...

New Messages #2
How do I stop Outlook Express from checking new messages every 5 minutes? dci <bishopdiisomjr@aol.com> wrote: > How do I stop Outlook Express from checking new messages > every 5 minutes? Tools>Options This is a newsgroup for Outlook, not Outlook Express questions. -- Brian Tillman ...

Resetting the filter when going from one form to another
I have a "add new form" for the user to add new part numbers to the database. If the number entered in the part number field matches one already in the database, a message box pops up giving them the choice to edit the existing number. Clicking yes returns the user to the "edit form" where they can then make changes to the existing information. This all works EXCEPT I am using the Do.Cmd OpenForm with the criteria of the part number of the "edit form" being the same as the part number of the "add new form" This sets the filter on the "ed...

Remove columns containing all zeros
How can I create a macro or conditional formula to remove columns containing all zeros A simple formula way to flag it, use COUNTIF Eg in A1: =COUNTIF(A2:A5,0)=4 Copy across. Cols to be deleted will be TRUE -- Max Singapore --- "Nora_GG" wrote: > How can I create a macro or conditional formula to remove columns containing > all zeros Thanks Max. I was able to flag teh columns I need to remove. Do you know a macro that can then delete columns containing "TRUE" as the header? "Max" wrote: > A simple formula way to flag it, use COUNT...

emails keep going into hotmail's BULK MAIL folder
I keep getting some email that ends up in the bulk mail folder of Hotmail. Any ideas on why this is happening and how can I change it ??? thanks I swear hotmail has cranked up their spam detection within the last couple weeks. Log into hotmail on the web. Find an email you want not to be marked junk in your Junk Email folder (this coresponds to your bulk mail folder in OE). Flag it as not junk using the web interface. (You must do one email at a time). I don't believe you can do this from OE. Greg "bob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

macro to change column to keep only last 5 characters
I'm not sure how I can use left or right or trim on this, but any suggestions? Formula method. Assuming data in column A, in B1 enter =RIGHT(A1,5) and double-click fill handle to copy down. Macro method. You choose the activecell. Sub trimmit() Dim rng As Range Set rng = Range(ActiveCell, Cells(Rows.Count, ActiveCell.Column).End(xlUp)) For Each cell In rng cell.Value = Right(cell.Value, 5) Next End Sub Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 13:33:51 -0800 (PST), S Himmelrich <himmelrich@gmail.com> wrote: >I'm not sure how I can use left or right ...

Trapping the close message when sent from the task bar button
Hi, I am using a application that uses a Tray Icon. I need to make it behave like MSN Messenger. I am almost there and one of my remaining problem is that I can't see how to trap the "close application" message that is sent when the user right clicks on the task bar and chooses "Close", I need to hide my window in the case and I only want to be able to close my application by right clicking on the tray icon and choose "Exit" Thanks a lot! Simon ...

Query/Filter asterisk
I have product descriptions that have an * in the description. I need to query or filter all products with an *. How do I that when the * is also used as a wildcard? Thanks, Scott Field: InStr([YourFieldName],Chr(42)) Ctiteria: > 0 -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "Scott" wrote: > I have product descriptions that have an * in the description. I need to > query or filter all products with an *. How do I that when the * is also > used as a wildcard? > > Thanks, > > Scott ...

Consolidate files then have them magically go back to original files with my updates
I receive files every two weeks; the files have different fields one includes: Vendor, Location, Supervisor Name, Employee Name, Account, Trans Date, System, Current Start Date, Current End Date, Prev Start Date, Prev End Date, Date Done. In another it includes: Vendor, Location, Supervisor, Name, Rgn, CUST_ID, MTN, FEAT_CD, PKG_DESC, FEAT_DEACT_DT, ReAdded, USER_ID, and Date Done. When I send my updates I must retain the individual file format. I want to be able to consolidate the records but then magically apply my updates to the individual files (query??). With the data I find the employees...

storage of messages on server
I am wondering how messages are store on the exchange server. Correct me if this is incorrect. One message gets sent to 10 users on the same server. The message is only stored once with pointers pointing to the message. When I move the users mailbox to another server, it stores the message 10 times.Once for each users mailbox. Does this sound right? Kevin On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:00:48 -0600, "cst112" <cst112no-spam-please@yahoo.com> wrote: >I am wondering how messages are store on the exchange server. Correct me if >this is incorrect. > >One message gets se...

Message Delivery Delayed
Exchange 5.5 sp4 NT 4.0 Sp6a I have a user with a website in our DMZ that sends out overnight status messages through external gateways and eventually on to our internal IMS where they are delivered to mailboxes on two mailservers via MTA. Problem is, on one of the exchange servers, the message does not reach its destination in a timely fashion (1/2 hour or more). On the other server it is received instantly. I have so far restarted the MTA, stopped the MTA then ran a clean MTACHECK, and rebooted the server. No change. Any thoughts? --Jay Have you tried sending mail to the problem excha...