Deleted Distribution List

Hi , LONG time Outlook user here..and I'm stumped !

I accidentally deleted a Distribution list from my Outlook 2007 contacts
this afternoon. Immediately , I tried EDIT >UNDO , but it was greyed out.

I searched Deleted Items in Mail ( thinking all deleted Outlook items ended
up there ) and I couldn't find it. I searched Personal Folders as well ..but
still no joy.

I ended up recreating it , but the question remains , ..." Where did it go
?? "  ( in case I do it again..)

Many Thanks

0
Sparky

Next time it happens simply restore it from your backup.

What, you say you have no backup? Then here's what you need to fix that:

Outlook 2007/2003/2002 Add-in: Personal Folders Backup
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8b081f3a-b7d0-4b16-b8af-5a6322f4fd01&displaylang=en

This is for both LONG time and new users. ;)

"Sparky" <no@nothere.com> wrote in message
> Hi , LONG time Outlook user here..and I'm stumped !
>
> I accidentally deleted a Distribution list from my Outlook 2007 contacts this
> afternoon. Immediately , I tried EDIT >UNDO , but it was greyed out.
>
> I searched Deleted Items in Mail ( thinking all deleted Outlook items ended up
> there ) and I couldn't find it. I searched Personal Folders as well ..but
> still no joy.
>
> I ended up recreating it , but the question remains , ..." Where did it go ??
> "  ( in case I do it again..)
>
> Many Thanks

0
David
3/13/2010 11:00:15 AM
Actually, I backup regularly , but having to restore from a backup to
retrieve 1 deleted item seems like overkill to me.

Obviously it needs it's own recycle bin for non-mail items or at least EDIT

"David Webb" <dwebb211@earthling.net> wrote in message
> Next time it happens simply restore it from your backup.
>
> What, you say you have no backup? Then here's what you need to fix that:
>
> Outlook 2007/2003/2002 Add-in: Personal Folders Backup
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8b081f3a-b7d0-4b16-b8af-5a6322f4fd01&displaylang=en
>
> This is for both LONG time and new users. ;)
>
> "Sparky" <no@nothere.com> wrote in message
>> Hi , LONG time Outlook user here..and I'm stumped !
>>
>> I accidentally deleted a Distribution list from my Outlook 2007 contacts
>> this afternoon. Immediately , I tried EDIT >UNDO , but it was greyed out.
>>
>> I searched Deleted Items in Mail ( thinking all deleted Outlook items
>> ended up there ) and I couldn't find it. I searched Personal Folders as
>> well ..but still no joy.
>>
>> I ended up recreating it , but the question remains , ..." Where did it
>> go ?? "  ( in case I do it again..)
>>
>> Many Thanks

0
Sparky
3/14/2010 4:44:56 AM
> Actually, I backup regularly , but having to restore from a backup to retrieve
> 1 deleted item seems like overkill to me.

That's where I disagree. It seems to me that it would take far less time to
simply temporarily mount the backup pst file and copy the missing DL rather than
to re-create the DL and then post a message to this newsgroup.

But that's just my thinking...

 > Obviously it needs it's own recycle bin for non-mail items or at least EDIT
> > UNDO ?

There are ways to suggest product improvements to Microsoft but this is not the
forum for it.

> "David Webb" <dwebb211@earthling.net> wrote in message
>> Next time it happens simply restore it from your backup.
>>
>> What, you say you have no backup? Then here's what you need to fix that:
>>
>> Outlook 2007/2003/2002 Add-in: Personal Folders Backup
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8b081f3a-b7d0-4b16-b8af-5a6322f4fd01&displaylang=en
>>
>> This is for both LONG time and new users. ;)
>>
>> "Sparky" <no@nothere.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi , LONG time Outlook user here..and I'm stumped !
>>>
>>> I accidentally deleted a Distribution list from my Outlook 2007 contacts
>>> this afternoon. Immediately , I tried EDIT >UNDO , but it was greyed out.
>>>
>>> I searched Deleted Items in Mail ( thinking all deleted Outlook items ended
>>> up there ) and I couldn't find it. I searched Personal Folders as well ..but
>>> still no joy.
>>>
>>> I ended up recreating it , but the question remains , ..." Where did it go
>>> ?? "  ( in case I do it again..)
>>>
>>> Many Thanks

0
David
3/14/2010 11:11:34 AM
When I delete a DL, it goes to the Deleted Items Folder. That's what Outlook
does.
--
Russ Valentine
"Sparky" <no@nothere.com> wrote in message
> Actually, I backup regularly , but having to restore from a backup to
> retrieve 1 deleted item seems like overkill to me.
>
> Obviously it needs it's own recycle bin for non-mail items or at least
> EDIT
> > UNDO ?
>
> "David Webb" <dwebb211@earthling.net> wrote in message
>> Next time it happens simply restore it from your backup.
>>
>> What, you say you have no backup? Then here's what you need to fix that:
>>
>> Outlook 2007/2003/2002 Add-in: Personal Folders Backup
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8b081f3a-b7d0-4b16-b8af-5a6322f4fd01&displaylang=en
>>
>> This is for both LONG time and new users. ;)
>>
>> "Sparky" <no@nothere.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi , LONG time Outlook user here..and I'm stumped !
>>>
>>> I accidentally deleted a Distribution list from my Outlook 2007 contacts
>>> this afternoon. Immediately , I tried EDIT >UNDO , but it was greyed
>>> out.
>>>
>>> I searched Deleted Items in Mail ( thinking all deleted Outlook items
>>> ended up there ) and I couldn't find it. I searched Personal Folders as
>>> well ..but still no joy.
>>>
>>> I ended up recreating it , but the question remains , ..." Where did it
>>> go ?? "  ( in case I do it again..)
>>>
>>> Many Thanks

0
Russ
3/14/2010 11:29:30 AM
"Sparky" <no@nothere.com> wrote in message

> I accidentally deleted a Distribution list from my Outlook 2007 contacts
> this afternoon. Immediately , I tried EDIT >UNDO , but it was greyed out.
>
> I searched Deleted Items in Mail ( thinking all deleted Outlook items ended
> up there ) and I couldn't find it. I searched Personal Folders as well ..but
> still no joy.
>
> I ended up recreating it , but the question remains , ..." Where did it go
> ?? "  ( in case I do it again..)

As long as you weren't holding Shift when you deleted it, it was in the
Deleted Items folder, unless you emptied that folder.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian

Distribution list #11
Dear friends ! Whenever I want to use a distribution list in Outlook 2002 created by myself, I get an error message like "452 Too many recipients", although there are only maybe 30 or 40 addresses in the list. What is wrong ? Who can help ? Thanks and best regards Gunter Check with your ISP to see if they have limits on the number of recipients per e-mail.... Gunter wrote: > Dear friends ! > Whenever I want to use a distribution list in Outlook > 2002 created by myself, I get an error message like "452 > Too many recipients", although there are only maybe 3...

Select values from list
Hi all, I got a very stupid problem, but like any stupid problem is bothering me... Some time ago I created a Worbook, and in a few columns of a worksheet I created a kind of combobox, integrated in the sheet, to help the user to select values from a list positioned elewhere in the sheet. To put it simple, when the user selects a cell, appears a down arrow on the right side, and clicking it it's shown a list to choose from. The values of the list are in a cell range on the right side of the sheet. Well, now I need to add new columns, but I can't find out how to re-create these co...

Survival distribution function chart
Is anyone familiar with the Kaplan-Meier estimator, and if there is a way I can get excel to draw a traditional survivior curve? The charts on this page http://www.xlstat.com/demoKM.xls are the style that I would like to produce. However, these appear to have been produced using an add-on called XLstat Pro. I am attempting to produce a spreadsheet to analyse various statistical models which are all reliant on producing a survivor curve in this style. Any help anyone could offer me would be gratefully received as I have spent days trying and can not find a way of doing this. -- max0d --...

Distribution/Security Group Address Issue
Several weeks ago, I noticed within active directory, there were two groups with the same name set up; one distribution and one security. Both had the same members. I deleted the distribution group and assigned the security group an email address which was the same as the old distribution group address. Now, in Outlook 2003, when you begin typing the name of the group, the option pops up, but when you send the message or click the plus-sign next to the name, you get the error "Cannot perform the requested operation. The command selected is not valid for this recipient. The operation f...

Trying to delete info in a cell
I have 1 column of information with over a thousand rows of info. I want to just delete some info in the cell and keep the rest. Anyone have any idea how to do this? Here's an example of my info: AABERG 0.000 83.839 38738 AADLAND 0.000 87.245 58868 AAGAARD 0.000 85.690 48524 I want to delete all the numbers. Ay help woud be greatly appreciated. ASAP Utilities, a free Add-in available at www.asap-utilities.com has a built in feature that will strip out all numerical characters from a string. hth Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "E2K3Tek" wrote: >...

stumped on creating dependent data validation lists
I created 2 Data Validation lists with Indirect functions. On trying to use them in conjunction with a 3rd list, i realized my logic in trying to accomplish what i need had been flawed. The problem is that the 3rd list, which should be dependent on the 1st 2, changes location. That is, i have a very busy worksheet. In the main body of the worksheet, there are no empty rows and columns. But almost every cell needs to have dependent validation lists to select items from. The main body is from A13 to AW131. In the area E14 to Q131, I have the potential to need a dependent dropdown list i...

Distribution Group email replies: Automatically get 'From' to show Group email address?
We have set up a distribution list in Exchange 2003 (support@companyname.com.au) so that several support staff receive these incomign emails from clients. We want our replies to those emails to look as if they come from that support@ email address again. In very old posts, from 2002 to 2004, the same question gas already been posed and the answer has been for the person replying to ***manually*** click the "From" button so they can choose the distribution group email address. Well its 2007 now. Has this situation been changed so that when replying to distribution list emails the dis...

Deleting unwanted "Temporary" files
A web site has downloaded several files (gif, css and js) to my Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files folder. I do not want them on my PC since I don't know what they do and they were downloaded without my knowledge. I have tried to delete them, but can not do so. I used CCleaner to remove them, but when I reboot, theye are still there. They seem to be "permanent" and I can not remove, rename, edit or anything. Properties tell me nothing. In Windows Explorer, they file name is truncated and the internet address is listed. How can I get rid of them? I wil...

Can't delete message in outbox
I can't delete a corrupted message in my Outlook 2000 outbox through any regular means. I am running Windows 98 second edition. Does anyone know how to delete the message by other means? >-----Original Message----- >I can't delete a corrupted message in my Outlook 2000 >outbox through any regular means. I am running Windows >98 second edition. Does anyone know how to delete the >message by other means? >. >Have experienced same problem (OS-XP), believe associated with Email Worm? Messages sent w/multiple copies rec'd? Messages remain in Outbox c...

Deleting ODBC data files relating to Access 2007
I had Office 2003 on my machine with some Access database files. The machine was reformatted and Office 2007 was installed. This caused some problems with the existing database files. I then created some using Access 2007. I then reverted back to 2003 and that made things worse. The bottom line is that Office 2007 has been reinstalled and I'm sticking with it. The problem is that there are a few ODBC data files that will not delete. I go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Data Sources (ODBC) Shortcut. The files will not delete. I'd appreciate any help or ...

List ctrl issues
I have an MDI Child window that is using a ListView. I am running the list view in report mode with one column. I want the column to take up the full width of the window, but I am running into some problems. I cannot ask the list view for its client rect in the OnCreate function because that always returns and empty rectangle. I don't know at what stage the window rect will become valid so it is difficult to determine where to put my column sizing code. Obviously it will be valid after the window is painted, but there is no message for "after first paint". Any tips on how/wh...

Drop down list question
I have a template with several drop down lists for the user to selec from. I would like it to function in a way that the user only needs t enter the first couple of numbers and the list will scroll to that par of the list. Is this possible ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Move your source cells for the list to directly above the validation cell, and then hide those cells. For example, if your source range is J1:J5, and the validation is in A10, move the...

Using Delete Dialog
Hi NG, I try to create a Custom Web Page, which will insert to the CRM by NavBar. This is working fine. Now the should be a seperate Button, for deleting. I found a way to call the standard delete dialog with: window.showModalDialog("/grid/cmds/dlg_delete.aspx?iObjType=112&iTotal=1&sIds=") My Problem now: How can I set the id for the Case which should deleted? When I set the argumten like: window.showModalDialog("/grid/cmds/dlg_delete.aspx?iObjType=112&iTotal=1&sIds=", "{C1B55815-104E-DB11-9C89-0003FFA2910B}") I get the error: "XML Parse...

Comparing two lists for matches
Hi, I am trying to do the following: There are two sets of supplier lists - A List and B List. I need to compare the two lists. Source A is my master. Source B is a subset of that but has contact information for all the suppliers. Hence, my goal is to retrieve the contact information from Source B and match it to the suppliers of Source A. The above can be easliy achieved using a vlookup funtion. But the problem is that some of the supplier names in the two lists are not exact matches. Hence, vlookup does not catch it. For instance, a supplier is listed as ABC Inc. in A list and as ABC, inc....

Any way to see members of a public list using OWA, plus other snags?
Hello, We're using OWA 2003 as a short-term stop-gap solution for a few hundred users until we get the Outlook client rolled out. It's working fairly well but there are a few snags... - Anyone know if it's possible for an OWA user to see the members of a public distribution list? - Less seriously, is there a control-sequence to insert tabs into a message? Tried all the obvious ones! - IE doesn't allow users open even TXT files without saving them first, as if they were Level 2 attachments. How do we stop that behaviour? - Is the date format which the users can select in OW...

Corrupted List Of Investments
Is there a way to Edit/Clear the list of invetments that is opened at the time new investment is introduced (MsM2002)? UL In microsoft.public.money, ul wrote: >Is there a way to Edit/Clear the list >of invetments that is opened at the time >new investment is introduced (MsM2002)? You could rename the problem investments by changing the name in the investment details area. I recommend avoiding "deleting" an investment although that removes it from the list. If you do want to delete an investment, be SURE to blank the symbol first. ...

List of Project web parts
Is anyone aware of someplace that lists all of the web parts that come with Project Server 2007, and describes what they do? Related question: can you use Project web parts on the MOSS side of the same server (e.g. - on a MOSS site based on the Project workspace site template, and linked to a project on the Project Server?). TIA, Joel Yeah, I do have a list somewhere, but I'll have to dig it up tomorrow. As far as using it on other sites, sure, you can use them in different site collections (which is what I believe you're asking) but you will have to export the...

Distribution List Warning script?
Hi There, In our company we often engage contractors to work on various projects and add their email address to Active Directory as a contact. Our users can then find the contractor in the address book (marked with the globe for contact object) and email them exactly the same way as they would any regular employee. Whilst we educate users about the globe symbol and what it means, Users still want to add contacts to DL's and include them on correspondence. This poses a problem as company sensitive information could end up in the mailbox store of an external company. I guess what i...

make message list font bigger ?
You know that top pane in preview-pane mode, the one that shows the list of message subjects ? Could someone please tell me an easy way to make the FONT SIZE of that top pane bigger ? I looked through the various "option" choices and didn't see the relevant one. Thanks muchly ! ericosman@rcn.com 17-Jun-2004 Eric Osman <ericosman@rcn.com> wrote: > You know that top pane in preview-pane mode, the one that shows the > list of message subjects ? > > Could someone please tell me an easy way to make the FONT SIZE of that > top pane bigger ? Perha...

Adding a lookup list to further filter form results
Created a form to list outstanding invoices, the datasource is a query called "invoices due" When I open that form it list all my outstanding invoices, so far so good. Now I want to add a drop down list control on the form to further filter the returned results to show only specific customers. The form (and query) allready have and display the customer name, so that data is allready there. 3 things are stumping me. 1) I tried to add a list box pulling the data from the customer name in the query, but that returned multiple copies of each name in the list box. ...

mail removed from control panel
Hello, My mail shortcut is removed from my control panel. I did a search, I must have deleted it. How do I create a new one? Boe <boe_d@notspam.hotmail.com> wrote: > My mail shortcut is removed from my control panel. I did a search, I > must have deleted it. How do I create a new one? Perhaps a Help>Detect and Repair in Outlook. -- Brian Tillman Boe, you wrote on Tue, 21 Feb 2006 07:06:15 -0800: > My mail shortcut is removed from my control panel. I did a search, I must > have deleted it. How do I create a new one? May it be that you mean "Desktop...

Delete Payees
Is there a way to delete multiple payees at once? I have many with no transactions I would like to delete all at once. In microsoft.public.money, Bob wrote: >Is there a way to delete multiple payees at once? I have many with no >transactions I would like to delete all at once. No. One at a time. Bob wrote: > Is there a way to delete multiple payees at once? I have many with no > transactions I would like to delete all at once. > A suggestion I saw last spring was to File > Archive, with an archive date older than any transaction (I used 1967 when I tried this). ...

How do I delete duplicate entries in excel?
I have been given a large database in excel and need to distill it by removing duplicate entries. I would like the results to be displayed in a new worksheet so I won't lose the original data. I have a basic working knowledge of excel but I can learn. Here's an approach to try (it might seem a bit long, but it's really pretty easy): Example Assumptions: Sheet1 contains your data in cells A1:Z100 Sheet2 is where you want the extracted data to be displayed (of course, you'll need to adjust the range references to suit your situation) Using Sheet2: Insert>Name>Defi...

Deleting a full contact list
My Live Mail contact list has many old contacts (about 600) and I want to replace it by importing a clean one (in .csv form). But when I import it adds the new list to the existing one. How do I either (a) get teh imprted list to replace the existing one, or (b) erase all the existing entries then import? Export the current as insurance. Delete all the contacts Import the 'clean one' -- ...winston ms-mvp mail "Martemagne" <Martemagne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:68BFCE1F-88B4-4386-A33A-6CB4DF6EAC2C@microsoft.com... > ...

Global Address List #12
Does anyone know of a script to change Display As for a bunch of previously created mailboxes. I took over as administrator and the previous admin has all the names displaying first then last in the address book. I want to change them but not manually to last, first. Thanks. ...