Cuatom Form confusion

Hello,

We receive faxes by email (via 3 party) which all wind up in an Incoming
Faxes folder (Public Folder) in Outlook (2003).  They have a to/from,
sent/received, subject, attachment, etc fields as does an email.  Right now
the Subject Line is always "Fax from [phone#] to [phone#] which does not tell
us much.  I have customized a form to add fields so that the admin receiver
can look at the fax (which is a pdf attachment) and fill in the added fields
with the proper StaffID, Client Name, etc so that viewing the Incoming Faxes
folder has some meaning.

I published the new custom form (Named Incoming Fax) and the Message Class
became IPM.Post.Incoming Fax.  (I'm a bit confused as to the Post vs Message
vs Note references I see in these group discussions).  The form is published
in the Incoming Faxes public folder, and the "Use  the following form when
posting to this folder" is set to my new form.

My problems are: 1) New faxes coming in still use the old form; 2) Under
properties, I changed to "Use Only the above form" and this stopped all faxes
from coming in; 3) the only time my custom form is seen is when the
particular fax i used as a starting point is viewed; 4) I am aware the faxes
received prior to the creation of the custom form will need to have their
Message Class changed to view in the new custom form.  I have created the VB
script to do this but when I open the form to run the script, I get an error
that the form cannot be opened and Outlook will use a default instead
(cleared cache did not help).

Am I even close to being on the right track here?  (I've created custom
forms before but on a stand alone PC only. Here the public folders are
Exchange)
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Robin

Also, you don't really need a custom form if your purpose is to make it
easier to eyeball the contents of the folder. Just add custom fields to the
view and turn on in-cell editing. The admin receiver can then type the
information directly into the view.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"Robin" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We receive faxes by email (via 3 party) which all wind up in an Incoming
> Faxes folder (Public Folder) in Outlook (2003).  They have a to/from,
> sent/received, subject, attachment, etc fields as does an email.  Right now
> the Subject Line is always "Fax from [phone#] to [phone#] which does not tell
> us much.  I have customized a form to add fields so that the admin receiver
> can look at the fax (which is a pdf attachment) and fill in the added fields
> with the proper StaffID, Client Name, etc so that viewing the Incoming Faxes
> folder has some meaning.
>
> I published the new custom form (Named Incoming Fax) and the Message Class
> became IPM.Post.Incoming Fax.  (I'm a bit confused as to the Post vs Message
> vs Note references I see in these group discussions).  The form is published
> in the Incoming Faxes public folder, and the "Use  the following form when
> posting to this folder" is set to my new form.
>
> My problems are: 1) New faxes coming in still use the old form; 2) Under
> properties, I changed to "Use Only the above form" and this stopped all faxes
> from coming in; 3) the only time my custom form is seen is when the
> particular fax i used as a starting point is viewed; 4) I am aware the faxes
> received prior to the creation of the custom form will need to have their
> Message Class changed to view in the new custom form.  I have created the VB
> script to do this but when I open the form to run the script, I get an error
> that the form cannot be opened and Outlook will use a default instead
> (cleared cache did not help).
>
> Am I even close to being on the right track here?  (I've created custom
> forms before but on a stand alone PC only. Here the public folders are
> Exchange)
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Robin
Thank you Sue!  That's so much simplier and accomplishes exactly what we
needed.

Robin