Can you pull back an email that was sent if it is unopened?

If  have sent an email, can I pull it back from the recipient if they have
not opened it yet?  How do I do that?

Open the email. Click on Actions > Recall This Message.
Note that this doesn't always work. If they have opened it or deny the
recall request, if they're on a different mail server, there are many
instances where this may not work.

"Melissa" <Melissa @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If  have sent an email, can I pull it back from the recipient if they have
> not opened it yet?  How do I do that?

-1
Orland
2/17/2010 6:05:11 PM
Melissa wrote:

> If  have sent an email, can I pull it back from the recipient if they have
> not opened it yet?  How do I do that?

Recall rarely works across different e-mail servers.  It only sometimes
works when both sender and recipient are using the same Exchange server (or
Exchange servers within the same organization); however, if you are sending
e-mails via SMTP, the chance of Recall working is dismal.  That means rather
than issuing a recall *function* to the Exchange server to yank out the
original e-mail from the recipient's mailbox, you are sending a *new* e-mail
that requests the recipient's mail client to remove an item AFTER the mail
client has downloaded the original message from their mailbox.  That means
the e-mail client must understand the encoded Message-ID header in your 2nd
new e-mail that makes the recall request.  It also requires that the
recipient open the recall e-mail BEFORE they open your original e-mail - and
that means the recipient would need to have e-mails listed in descending
sort order rather than ascending sort order.  If the recipient opens your
original e-mail (which they WILL already have downloaded) before opening
your recall e-mail then they can obviously read the original message because
they have not first opened your recall e-mail which then attempts (in
Outlook only) to delete the original e-mail.

Even if the recipient reads their e-mails in descending sort order, it is
unlikely that their e-mail client knows how to handle a recall.  The
Microsoft-specific non-standard modification of the Message-ID header (by
adding the "!-!" prefix and encoding information within the userID portion
before the "@" character) is used to indicate a recall but it is only
recognized by Outlook (and the recipients have to read e-mails in descending
order so they open your recall e-mail first) so don't expect the recall to
work.  A recipient using anything other than Outlook 2000+, like Outlook
Express, will see both the original message and recall messages and first
opening the recall e-mail will NOT delete the original e-mail.  Non-Outlook
e-mail clients don't know how to handle the recall request that is encoded
within the Message-ID header.

If using Exchange to send your e-mails which were sent to a recipient also
using the same Exchange organization then recall might work because the mail
server is handling the request to delete messages from the recipient's
mailbox.  Recall won't work unless both sender and recipient use Outlook
2000+ and the recipient happens to open the recall e-mail first.

At this point, and if you are the sender, you should send another new e-mail
to correct your mistake in your original e-mail or to apologize for the
content of your first e-mail.  Getting a recall e-mail will only draw more
attention by the recipient to your original e-mail.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197094/en-us

If you read the help already included in Outlook to search on "recall", it
would have plainly stated "This feature requires Microsoft Exchange".  For
SMTP, there is a miniscule possibility that if the recipient also uses
Outlook then the recall via the encoded Message-ID directive will work since
Outlook handles that non-Exchange method.  It rarely works.
0
VanguardLH

Can't open a Publisher 2K file in Publisher 2002, edit text only .
Why can't I open an existing Publisher 2000 file with Publisher 2002, then make minor text edits and re-save the file in Publisher 2000 without getting the error message, "There is a picture on page 1 that is too large to be converted to previous versions of Publisher." Publisher 2000 did not use compression... PUB2000: File Size Increases Unexpectedly When You Insert Picture http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253973 -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Art Frustrated with Publisher...

Outlook 2003 sends email from wrong account
Hi I have multiple pop3 email accounts set up in Outlook 2003. When I send emails, Outlook is VERY unpredictable. I never know which account will be used to send the email until I've send it. I specified which account to use, I even removed some the "Sending" of other accounts in the Send and Receive group... you name it. And it happens at random. Sometimes it sends through the correct account, sometimes it follows his own mind. I'm using Outlook 2003 with SP1 installed (Using Microsoft Update) Wimpie van Lingen <van_diesel@bigfoot.com> wrote: > I ha...

Exchange 2k Server unable to send or receive emails.
Hi, Error message "Internal error occur while processing mail box store" appears when try to mount the mailbox store exchange 2000 Server. Hence the server unable to send or receive any email. The mailbox store is located under storage group. Would like to know how to resolve this & what could be the possible reason for this occurnce. Thanking u in advance for all your the time & effort. Mark Magesen Mark, What event appears in the Application event log of the Exchange server ? Paul Ford Edge IT Ltd "Mark Magesen" <MarkMagesen@discussions.microsoft.co...

uploading email attachment
I've attached a small program (ad-aware)to an email to a friend. Outlook 2003 won't let it upload and "send", something about a potential virus, etc?? Now the email is sitting in the outbox, stuck, won't send, won't delete. If I can't send attachments with .exe then at least how do I remove it from the outbox? 1. Always zip files you intend to send via email - Outlook will not send nor receive mails with .exe attachments, among others. 2. Create a new .pst file, make it the default, close and reopen Outlook. Go to the Outbox in the old .pst file and de...

upgraded to office pro can't open outlook
I just uninstalled office basic and loaded office xp pro. I have xp media running on my machine. I can't open outlook. every time I try I get the following: Cannot start microsoft outlook. Unable to display the selected folder or item. could not open the item. try again. That is when I try to open outlook from start menu under the explorer icon. If I go to all programs and try to start it that way, I get: Unable to open your default email folders could not open the item try again. I click ok and get: would you like to open your default file system folder instead? I click no it all goes awa...

Outloo reads aloud emails
I have Outlook 2002 installed. I usually send an email by using the key combination Alt/S but occasionally, instead of the email being sent, a voice starts reading aloud the email I have written. Now I have tried all sorts of Alt key combinations to make it happen on purpose but it won't so my question is, what is happening, why, and can I use the speech recognition program in other MS products? Regrds, Lloyd sounds like you are enabling narrator. look in accessories on the start menu. If it's not that, then it could be speech - look in control panel for the lauguage applet. --...

Access 2003 to Email issue.
I have a working Access 2003 form that has a button to open a report and send a email. This makes the report an attachment in the email. The name of the report is placed in the document as the name of the attachment. I would like to add the "variable" EmployeeName so that it appears in the attachment name. Is this possible and if so where and how do I code it to have this happen? I used to be a mindreader, but those skills deteriorate with distance. Without seeing your code, that's hard to do. If you're handy with VBA, try using it to change the name of the attachment,...

old emails not in standard not retreived for new Outlook installat
emails stored in folders that were not Inbox, Sent, etc were not found and retrieved for a new Outlook 2007 installation. "rogers at cuvinc" <rogers at cuvinc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98A737DB-E43E-4CA6-A6E6-9625869BAF82@microsoft.com... > emails stored in folders that were not Inbox, Sent, etc were not found and > retrieved for a new Outlook 2007 installation. And what type of email account are we talking about here? It all depends on how you backed up and restored your Outlook data. Do you still have access to your original pst...

can't delete record
I am trying to use a command button on a form to delete the current record displayed on the form. The record has several related fields in other tables, but I believe I have successfully deleted all related records with delete queries. When I run the code DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdDeleteRecord the confirm delete message comes up, and after clicking through it the form goes blank, appearing like a successful deletion. No error messages. However the record is still in the table. In table view there isn’t any problem deleting the record in question i.e. no related records. I’ve tried using a w...

OWA, Can View Folder/Mail, but Cannot Send.. Why ?
When using OWA, I can View my Emails on the company's 5.5 SP4 Exchange Server, I can use Find Name, and it will Search.. But I cannot send an Email, I get a window that pops up and says: "Failed to Send Item" Thanks... my_email@is_private.com (XP User) wrote in news:aFtYb.86583$cE3.30504327 @news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net: > When using OWA, I can View my Emails on > the company's 5.5 SP4 Exchange Server, I can > use Find Name, and it will Search.. > > But I cannot send an Email, I get a window that pops > up and says: "Failed to Send Item&quo...

Unwanted emails
How can I block emails coming from outside of my intranet domain? I am receiving unsolicited emails at my email account at work. My account at work is not private. Please help! Outlook 2003 includes some client-side spam filters that are quite good. You will need to have an Exchange server in order for them to work, tho. Other options can be found here: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/content_control.htm -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and re...

Email/Windows Security Pop UP
Suddenly, after 2 years, out of no where I start getting a Windows Security pop up asking me to verify my user name and password...GRRR....how do I make it stop???? I have entered the information...clicked on REMEMBER MY CREDENTIALS...and it promptly forgets!....I even went into my accounts and re entered the info and said REMEMBER....which IT promptly forgot....how do I make it stop?????...the ONLY thing I use on my comp is windows defender...all the other crap just gives me a giant headache...my windows updates automatically, which it just did PRIOR to my issues... sorry I s...

Email templates in Workflow engine
Hi I am battling with using the template manager within CRM to create a email template. example. I want for ever new case that gets assigned to send a email to the client informing him/her who will be working on their case and what their case number is. I have created a template in CRM web front end, but in the template nowhere does it specify were you will be sending the email to. When I create the workflow there is also nowhere that I can specify where the email will be going. Any help or direction will be appreciated This is a strange "Feature" of MSCRM. You can either: ...

Can't print web documents
If I open a document from, say, http://www.domain.com/document.xls, using the address field in Outlook's Web toolbar, print is not available. Open the same document in Internet Explorer and print is a viable option. This happens with any Office document. However, print feature works fine with any other type of documents - .pdf files work with no problems. Any suggestions? ...

How do you sen the email at outlook ? I can't find the word send
That seems a pretty basic requirement for the application... File-->New-->Email Message or CTRL-N Send button should be top left. "OP" <OP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C5D011FC-369A-4A4C-86B1-A82CCF8F43D3@microsoft.com... > OP <OP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: <nothing> Ask your queston in the body of the message, including exactly what you're trying, your version of Outlook, and account type. It appears you have not configured Outlook with a mail account. -- Brian Tillman ...

Editing an Automatically Sent Message
We have a user that setup a message to automatically be send each Monday. They now wish to edit that message, problem is, I cannot seem to find it. It doesn't even show up in her sent items. I am sure it is an easy fix, but it has alluded me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mark Winning Systems Administrator Martin Memorial Health Systems ...

problems with receiving email with outlook 2003
I have outlook 2003 with business manager contact. I can send my email but I can not receive. Can anyone help me? I have all of the updates so far. When did this start happening? Have you ever been able to receive email? What error messages (if any) are you receiving? What service (ISP) are you using? Have you contacted them concerning this problem? These are some question we need to know in order to point you in the correct direction. Michael D. Alligood MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc., CIW Certified Instructor "bigmouth44@hotmail.com" <bigmouth44@ho...

Can't open excel or word documents (says insert sm bus cd?)
I have been running Windows XP for over a year without a problem, but now I can not open any of my Excel or Word or Outlook documents because it says that I need to insert my small business cd. I don't have that cd. This has happened once before and I just used my system restore function and it was fine, but that won't even work this time. HELP!! ~~Angela @ angela27@iglide.net ...

TILE can help you to edit RMS or POS 2009 items in seconds
TILE can make the task of record editing and updating extremely easy. With TILE, you will simply open your RMS records in a grid-like view (as we have in MS-Excel), quickly apply one or more filters, use your mouse to select the records, right-click, enter the desired value and update. All 100 records will be updated in a flash! For details, visit: http://www.24sevencart.com/tile.htm On Apr 22, 4:55=A0pm, Mark Antonio <antonio.mark...@gmail.com> wrote: > TILE can make the task of record editing and updating extremely easy. > With TILE, you will simply open your RMS recor...

Credit card charge can not be voided
Hello. I am running Franchise nail salon business. We tried to void service charge made couple days ago but I was not able to do it. It does void transaction in the system but it did not give the authorization number. According to bank, I can not void the transaction that already batched but I did that for couple years. Did credit card law changed or something? Bank told us to return instaed of void but I couldnt make return because it is non inventory item. Is there anyway I can give money back to customer? Please be advised. Thank you. Voids can only be done on the same day that the charge ...

Entourage deletes calendar invite emails after accepting
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange Why does Entourage move calendar invite emails to the trash when I accept them in my Exchange account, and how do I prevent this from happening? ...

Can not open attachments in Outlook Express 2000
After downloading the most current Windows security patches Outlook Express now blocks any attachments including documents with .doc extensions. How can I go back to the way it was before the patch? Click on tools, options, security, then remove the check mark next to Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus. HTH Gavin... "Bobbie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2cb401c42883$95e2c4b0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > After downloading the most current Windows security > patches Outlook Express now blocks any a...

prevent accidental sending email while composing?
Sometimes while composing an email I would accidentally send the email because I hit the wrong key combination (e.g. ctrl-enter or something when searching for shortcut to insert line break) or click send absentmindedly when trying to save and edit later. So now I delete the To: field while composing email, and then fill it in when I'm ready to send. But re-typing the To: field is a pain, especially if there are multiple recipients. Is there a more convenient way? I'm looking for some sort of flag or check box I can enable/diable while composing email to prevent it from being s...

Blocking emails with HTML content
The level of spam I am receiving has recently gone through the roof - from 1-2 per day to between 25-40! I have set up junk mail rules and these do a fair job. However, a very large proportion of spam get contains HTML. I never receive messages from trusted sources with HTML in the message body, so my thinking is that if I can set up a rule to auto-delete all emails with HTML in the body I can get rid of 95% of it easily. However, I can't seem to find of way of doing it. Any ideas please (short of changing my email address!)? Thanks - Peter Peter, I had the same thought as you (blo...

Errors while sending emails
We are on a network and only one of our workstations (the owner's) is having this error. When creating a new email or replying with or without attachments, the error screen pops up that only says "some errors have occurred" There are no other details. The message sits in the outbox and will continue to send. Receipents get the message multiple times. The only way to stop it is to delete each message. It also does not show up in the sent folder. I have looked everywhere and cannot find a fix for this. Please help!! I need to get this fixed ASAP!!! Thanks in adv...