Can't read e-mail

When I open outlook 2007, I get either a grey screen or a window to my
desktop where my message text should be. Messages are coming in, but I can't
access them.

Have tried restarting, and tested all the e-mail folders - same thing.

I am running Windows XP (tablet), Outlook 2007 and Mcaffee 2010.

What is new? Yesterday I repaired corrupt PST file with scanpst. Once I got
this fixed I removed Norton and replaced it with McAffee. everything worked
fine after the restart...yesterday.

Any suggestions? repair PST again?? or delete McAfee?
--
Sunshine60

When you installed McAfee, did you include its integration with Outlook?
Outlook doesn't need AV integration at all. Your real time scanner will
catch everything it's been updated to detect.

"Sunshine60" <Sunshine60@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I open outlook 2007, I get either a grey screen or a window to my
> desktop where my message text should be. Messages are coming in, but I
can't
> access them.
>
> Have tried restarting, and tested all the e-mail folders - same thing.
>
> I am running Windows XP (tablet), Outlook 2007 and Mcaffee 2010.
>
> What is new? Yesterday I repaired corrupt PST file with scanpst. Once I
got
> this fixed I removed Norton and replaced it with McAffee. everything
worked
> fine after the restart...yesterday.
>
> Any suggestions? repair PST again?? or delete McAfee?
> --
> Sunshine60

0
Kathleen
1/6/2010 5:33:44 PM
I didn't do anything tricky when I switched to McAffee. I just followed the
full installation instructions. I have tried turning off e-mail scanning and
the spam filter, but that doesn't seem to do anything helpful.

Anyone have any other suggestions than to remove McAffee and see if this is
the problem?
--
Sunshine60

"Kathleen Orland" wrote:

> When you installed McAfee, did you include its integration with Outlook?
> Outlook doesn't need AV integration at all. Your real time scanner will
> catch everything it's been updated to detect.
>
> "Sunshine60" <Sunshine60@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I open outlook 2007, I get either a grey screen or a window to my
> > desktop where my message text should be. Messages are coming in, but I
> can't
> > access them.
> >
> > Have tried restarting, and tested all the e-mail folders - same thing.
> >
> > I am running Windows XP (tablet), Outlook 2007 and Mcaffee 2010.
> >
> > What is new? Yesterday I repaired corrupt PST file with scanpst. Once I
> got
> > this fixed I removed Norton and replaced it with McAffee. everything
> worked
> > fine after the restart...yesterday.
> >
> > Any suggestions? repair PST again?? or delete McAfee?
> > --
> > Sunshine60
>

> .

Solved it by following up on your suggestions.

I uninstalled McAfee, which brought back the full Outlook screen, then
reinstalled McAfee without the spam scanner AND turned off the e-mail scanner.

Thanks

--
Sunshine60

"Sunshine60" wrote:

> I didn't do anything tricky when I switched to McAffee. I just followed the
> full installation instructions. I have tried turning off e-mail scanning and
> the spam filter, but that doesn't seem to do anything helpful.
>
> Anyone have any other suggestions than to remove McAffee and see if this is
> the problem?
> --
> Sunshine60
>

> "Kathleen Orland" wrote:
>
> > When you installed McAfee, did you include its integration with Outlook?
> > Outlook doesn't need AV integration at all. Your real time scanner will
> > catch everything it's been updated to detect.
> >
> > "Sunshine60" <Sunshine60@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > When I open outlook 2007, I get either a grey screen or a window to my
> > > desktop where my message text should be. Messages are coming in, but I
> > can't
> > > access them.
> > >
> > > Have tried restarting, and tested all the e-mail folders - same thing.
> > >
> > > I am running Windows XP (tablet), Outlook 2007 and Mcaffee 2010.
> > >
> > > What is new? Yesterday I repaired corrupt PST file with scanpst. Once I
> > got
> > > this fixed I removed Norton and replaced it with McAffee. everything
> > worked
> > > fine after the restart...yesterday.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions? repair PST again?? or delete McAfee?
> > > --
> > > Sunshine60
> >

> > .

Read Receipts setting in Group Policy?
Using Windows 2003 and Outlook XP, is there a way in Group Policy to enable Read Receipts and if so where would you do that? Thanks. Russ Yes, did you add the adm-templates for Outlook already? They are in the Office Resource Kit -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -FREE tool; QuickMail. Create new Outlook items anywhere from within Windows -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data ----- "Russ Hromyko" <rhromyko@verizon.net> wrote in message news:qpove.3000$Tk2.1663@trnddc02... Using Windows 2003 and Outlook XP, is there ...

E-MAILS TRACKING IN VB6 01-24-08
Hello, I'm writing a new application in Visual Basic 6 (VB6) to send a HTML mail to a list of recipients from an Access database. All is ok so far. What I need now is to program and display all usefull statistics about the mailing, such as how many "bounced" mails, when and who opened or deleted the e-mail he received etc., in order to make an evaluation of the whole mailing. Of course, I can open the Inbox/Mailbox with POP3 and see all replies but then? How can I determine what kind of reply I get (hard or soft bounce etc...)? Can I find any tutorial about this stuff? Thank...

Windows Installer launches when user opens new mail
In Outlook 2003, (running XP Pro) after installing the Junk-mail filter update, each time the user tries to open a new message, the Windows installer launches. Whether it is allowed to complete or cancelled the message opens, but the problem happens again with each new message. I've tried the Detect and Repair for Office and it finishes successfully, but doesn't fix the problem. I've checked the properties on the .dat file for the update and it looks to be installed. The user is also running McAfee Internet Security and changes hardware profiles frequently. If I launch in...

Reading mails from Sent items, Deleted items, Draft folder of outlook from VB6.0
Hi All! Reading mails from Sent items, Deleted items, Draft folder from VB6.0. It is very helpful for me if the code is written in ActiveX DLL and can be called from any form of other projects. -- Thanks and Regards S. Viswanathan Viswanathan wrote: > Hi All! > > Reading mails from Sent items, Deleted items, Draft folder from VB6.0. It is > very helpful for me if the code is written in ActiveX DLL and can be called > from any form of other projects. > > -- > Thanks and Regards > S. Viswanathan > > Thanks! Next.... Did you have a particular questi...

User's email cannot be read by starmail users
I am a help desk admin for a large japanese company. Our offices here in the states use exchange while our offices in japan use staroffice. Periodically, our users in japan can't read email from a select group of users here in the states...what can be done to fix this? I have changed email formats, but to no avail. Can anyone help me? What version of Outlook do you use? What is the problem when the starmail users can't read the mail - garbage characters, or something else? I assume that you've tried sending mail in plain-text or HTML formats? Note that replies and forw...

Importing Existing E-mail in new setup
I'm a bit of a newbie to Exchange and I'm trying to set this up on SBS2003. I have everything pretty much working and I am now trying to import users old Outlook mailboxes into Exchange. A migration doc that I have suggests simply opening Outlook on each client and importing the existing .pst file. That seems to work fine and I see the expected folders and messges on Outlook itself, however, when I then look at the associated mailbox using OWA I cannot see any of the folders or messages I imported, I do see new messges delivered but not the imported ones. If anyone can point t...

Tracking Log entries vs. physical mails
Hello, I hope to receive an answer from MS Exchange team. In e5.5 tracking log format general message information was logged as a single string for the whole event while recipients' information was logged in a separate string for each recipient. Thus, I can easily understand that event was occurred for particular physical message. Example: msgID - 29 - time - serv - orig1 - 4 rec1 rec2 rec3 rec4 Starting from e2k, every event for every message recipient is presented in a stand-alone string, which seems to make impossible to realize whether two events point to one physical message o...

Reading bookmarks from Word in hyperlink
Need some help. I am trying to make a list with item information. I need to be able to click on the name of the item and be taken to a definition page with pictures and info on it written in Word. By creating each item name as a hyperlink I can easily jump to the page I need for this info from Excel to a Word document. However when I set up the Word document with bookmarks so that it will jump to the appropriate spot on the Word document it doesn't work. I have confirmed that the bookmarks are valid from within Word as I can jump around the file from within that program. But when I sele...

How do I move a hidden bubble to the front in a bubble chart in E.
I've been using bubble charts quite a bit but haven't figured out how to move a smaller bubble that is hidden to the front of a larger bubble. Any help would be appreciated. ...

Forward mail to non AD users
Hi, We have the scenario where we recieve all e-mail for our company domain @froudehofmann.com The problem is we have an office in Germany that has its own servers & mail server (not Exchange). Is there any way of forwarding e-mails for the German staff without having to create each user on AD? The German company does have another domain we can point to if necessary. In short: e-mail for H.Schmidt@froudehofmann.com forward to German Mail server e-mail for G.Smith@froudehofmann.com Stays on our Server Cheers Craig (Kitey) So you both share the same namespace, correct? If so, crea...

Windowa Live mail keeps shutting down.
I keep getting messages saying that "Something unexpected has happened and Windows Live mMail has had to close down" Whatcshould I do about it? It is a real pain I just wish I had good old Outlook Express back. Help please it is driving me mad and I cant find any advice on the Help file. Open WLM in Mail mode(do not access news, contacts, calendar) Tools/Options/Advanced/Maintenance mode - Set the compact counter to 1, close, apply File/Work Offline File/Exit Agree to the prompt to compact Retest.. In the future - do not close WLM when it is performing a syn...

Publisher 97 unable to do Mail Merge
Hi, I can't find my post with the above title in this forum, only in archives like this: http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Publisher/microsoft.public.publisher/2008-04/msg00197.html I'm using XP. Mary Sauer said she couldn't get Mail Merge to work in Pub 97 or Pub 98 . . .. Re-registered all the .dll's . . . Assumed it was a security update that did them in . . . using Vista on this machine, but it's the same on her XP. I just came across this article: 1/15/09 Microsoft beta lets old Windows apps run on Vista http://www.infoworld.com/archives/emailPrint.jsp?R=...

Empty E-Mails from OWA
Hi @all! I got a strange problem with OWA (once again). When one of our users replys a E-Mail to one of two specifiec recievers, the reciever recieves an empty Mail. If he writes a new Mail to this reciever the bodytext is there, but when replying it does not. There are only two recievers and one of our Users affected. I testet around a little bit and noticed, that when I send an E-Mail with OWA to my WebMail acoount, the Mailbody in HTML View is chineese - Text view showes the right text. Sending a Mail with Outlook makes no trouble. I am not sure if there is a connection between both pro...

Read HttpWebRespponse by XmlTextReader throws XmlException: Root element not present
I'm trying to read response from a web server using XmlTextReader. Here's a code snippet. WebResponse rs = this.WebRequest.GetResponse(); Stream stm = rs.GetResponseStream(); XmlTextReader reader = new XmlTextReader(stm); reader.XmlResolver = null; // no DTD/schema, high perf while (reader.Read()){ switch (reader.NodeType){ default: Debug.WriteLine(string.Concat( reader.NodeType.ToString(), ": ", "<", reader.Name, ">", reader.Value)); break; } } and data on the web is like this:...

Blank e-mails #2
I sometimes get e-mails that are blank--no return e-mail address, no subject line, no message. Any idea why? Also, I periodically will send an e-mail and if the recipient hits reply, all I see is my original message to them. What's going on? ...

How do I sort e-mails by sender and then by date?
I want to be able to sort e-mails by sender, which I can do, and then, at the same time, have the e-mails by one sender arranged in chronological order according to date sent. One of the ways you can group mail items in OL2003 is just what you're mentioning. If you group by From, the messages are sorted by date within the group "kamtree" <kamtree@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C4B3305-6C96-4B7B-B904-CB8A4AE1CEDA@microsoft.com... >I want to be able to sort e-mails by sender, which I can do, and then, at >the > same time, have the e-mails...

In An Outlook Mail In Folder I've Add a Customn Column
Called 'number' so I can ad a unique id to each received email. The column shows but i cant enter any data in to it? Any iadeas? Trev Modify the view to turn on "in-cell editing." -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming: Jumpstart for Power Users and Administrators http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=54 "Trevor Aiston" <TrevorAiston@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00F2A60E-E255-4D1F-9D1B-EC0DFF480B6A@microsoft.com... > Called 'number' so I can ad a unique id t...

How to "stop" mail sent to my DL's
Imagine I want to "quarantine" any incoming e-mail (sent by however outside from my company) that is sent to my distribution lists or that targets more than 30 e-mail addresses in my company. Which software should I be looking at for that ? Exch2000SP3. Marlon Brown wrote: > Imagine I want to "quarantine" any incoming e-mail (sent by however outside > from my company) that is sent to my distribution lists In DL properties assign permissions the way you want. > or that targets more > than 30 e-mail addresses in my company. There is a setting for that in ...

Read only files
I have saved files to a CD and when I now try to update the file, I get the message "Cannot open file on CD Rom, drive is read onl Changing filer name does not wor When I try to uncheck "read only" on properties of a file i get "An error occurred applying attributes to the file How do I save files from "My Documents" to a Cd and avoid "Read ONly"? Most CD's are readonly (not sure how CDRW's fit in). But I'd copy those files to my harddrive. Then use windows explorer and select them. Rightclick on the group, choose properties and turn o...

Mailing List for Outlook 2003
Hi there I would like to create a mailing list with OL 2003 for friends and family. I understand this is called a 'distribution list' within OL - Does it suppose MACROs where I can 'personalise' the email message with say, the persons first name etc.? Or can someone suggest an 'add-on'... Thanks, Glen. See if any of the tools here help: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/mail.htm "GC" <mail@mailxtra.co.uk> wrote in message news:65ksj15poi24no3d6sl3m1950a8tmfp0fj@4ax.com... > Hi there > > I would like to create a mailing list with OL 2003 f...

Maximum E-Mails
I am a new president of a golf organizations and will be sending e-mails to all of my members. What is the maximum number of e-mails that can be sent in any given period of time and is there a way to increase this number? -- Norm That is decided by your server. WLMail doesn't care how many you send to.. Call them and ask what the limit is. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:37609929-0ED2-41D3-847D-4386B4FD6C6E@microsoft.com... >I am a new president...

How do I convert an Excel spreadsheet to mailing labels?
Is it possible to convert information in a spreadsheet to mailing labels? Laura, I would do a mail merge with word, For help on Word mail merge using Excel as the data source have a look here http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateAMailMerge.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm A training tutorial for creating envelopes and labels. http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC010390291033 -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the n...

Error relaying mail using authenticated SMTP
We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We use SBC Yahoo DSL as our ISP. We currently have a dynamically assigned IP address and use DynDNS.org to handle our custom DNS. The problem we have is with sending e-mail to SBC users. SBC's mail servers will not accept connections from dynamically assigned IP addresses. To get around this problem, we setup an SMTP Connector for sbcglobal.net that would forward mail to our ISP's server (smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com). This server requires the use of SMTP authentication. Specifying the credentials when using an account in Outlook ...

e-marketing with publisher 2003
I have been using publisher for years and found it very easy to use. I have a question for you pros. Can I create a marketing message in publisher with a moving gif. (photo), I dont want to send the piece as a attachment. If so can you please direct me to a lesson in doing so…. Thank you all so much you all are great Cliff -- “Things do not change, We Change“ …..Henry Thoreau Animation only happens in HTML (web page). You can send messages in a HTML format, that doesn't guarantee your recipients will have receiving HTML messages enabled. Put your marketing message on a web site. S...

Mail delivery stopped
I am running Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise along with Windows Server 2003 Enterprise. I am not anywhere near an expert on these systems, they were part of my partner pack and I'm learning. Here is the issue, up until May 8, 2004 I was sending and receiving messages both to and from the Internet and across my LAN without issue. Everything worked and I was not generating error messages. On May 9 we had a power outage that took down my server. From that point forward I have been unable to receive messages from the Internet. I can still send to the Internet and across the Exchange Serv...