Sending an email to multiple contacts

As suggested by people on one of these newsgroups, I have abandoned
Outlook's broken distribution list functionality to use this
"Categorize" feature.

So I now have my hundreds of individuals all categorized and I want to
send an email to everyone in a certain category.  I do not see any
sign that this functionality is supported, in fact, it seems like
Microsoft actually broke the functionality intentionally.

I have created my email and have opened my contacts.  I sorted based
upon category, selected the items in the category and dragged those
items to the "To..." field in my email.  Outlook actually filled this
field with, literally, EVERY PIECE OF TEXT within each of those
contacts.  NONSENSE.

OK, so attempt #2 now.

I right clicked on my selected contacts to select the "New email"
option.  IT DOES NOT EXIST.

OK people deeples, I have gone with your suggestion on using
categories instead of distribution lists so can you tell me where I'm
supposed to go from here?

Steve
0
Stephen

try the Actions menu - in 2007/2010, its under Actions, Create.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Stephen" <sshelton@puroclean.com> wrote in message
> As suggested by people on one of these newsgroups, I have abandoned
> Outlook's broken distribution list functionality to use this
> "Categorize" feature.
>
> So I now have my hundreds of individuals all categorized and I want to
> send an email to everyone in a certain category.  I do not see any
> sign that this functionality is supported, in fact, it seems like
> Microsoft actually broke the functionality intentionally.
>
> I have created my email and have opened my contacts.  I sorted based
> upon category, selected the items in the category and dragged those
> items to the "To..." field in my email.  Outlook actually filled this
> field with, literally, EVERY PIECE OF TEXT within each of those
> contacts.  NONSENSE.
>
> OK, so attempt #2 now.
>
> I right clicked on my selected contacts to select the "New email"
> option.  IT DOES NOT EXIST.
>

> OK people deeples, I have gone with your suggestion on using
> categories instead of distribution lists so can you tell me where I'm
> supposed to go from here?
>

> Steve

0
Diane
11/24/2009 4:06:37 AM
"Stephen" <sshelton@puroclean.com> wrote in message
> As suggested by people on one of these newsgroups, I have abandoned
> Outlook's broken distribution list functionality to use this
> "Categorize" feature.
>
> So I now have my hundreds of individuals all categorized and I want to
> send an email to everyone in a certain category.  I do not see any
> sign that this functionality is supported, in fact, it seems like
> Microsoft actually broke the functionality intentionally.
>
> I have created my email and have opened my contacts.

Categories don't work that way.

Select the Category then do Actions-Create-New Message to Contact.
Then create the content in the email.

0
Gordon
11/24/2009 9:14:13 AM
"Stephen" <sshelton@puroclean.com> wrote in message

> I have created my email and have opened my contacts.  I sorted based
> upon category, selected the items in the category and dragged those
> items to the "To..." field in my email.  Outlook actually filled this
> field with, literally, EVERY PIECE OF TEXT within each of those
> contacts.  NONSENSE.

What do yo umean you dragged them to the To field?  Select your contacts and
drag them to, say, the Outbox.  That will open a new message window with the
To field populated with your contacts' addresses.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian