retreiving old emails, contact, etc

my computer crashed and outlook 2003 was reinstalled. will someone
please offer help on how I can get my old emails and contacts? I really
do not understand the process. software is costly

--
barbaram
http://forums.slipstick.com

0
barbaram

Answered daily.
The file you need is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the
mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored.

Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer:
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx

Note that some of the information on the Microsoft page is outdated and
contains errors, particularly when applied to Outlook 2003 or 2007.
Specifically:
1. Ignore any advice to copy your PST file to Outlook's default location to
connect it to your profile. Doing so will often corrupt your Outlook
profile. Copy it
anywhere BUT the default location and then open it within your Outlook
profile.
2. Ignore any advice that tells you to use export or import to transfer
Outlook data. That has never been sound advice, but the process has become
too deeply flawed to be of any use.

--
Russ Valentine
"barbaram" <barbaram.48s2ff@invalid> wrote in message

> my computer crashed and outlook 2003 was reinstalled. will someone
> please offer help on how I can get my old emails and contacts? I really
> do not understand the process. software is costly
>

> --
> barbaram
> http://forums.slipstick.com

0
Russ

Exchange 2003 won't send to certain domains (MSN.com, Hotmail.com, etc...)
Hello I'm having trouble sending to some domains on my Exchange 2003 server. Mostly Msn.com and hotmail.com but there are others it won't send to. The mail sits in the outbound queue. Strangely, after a reboot the mail will send. I can send to other domains with no problem. Below is the output of the SMTPDiag.exe tool from Microsoft. For security, I have changed my domain name to xx.org. Can anyone help? Searching for Exchange external DNS settings. Computer name is xx. VSI 1 has the following external DNS servers: 216.x.x.x,216.x.x.x,198.6.1.4,198.6.1.6 Checking SOA for msn.com. Ch...

how to send individual email to entire contact list
I want to send an individual email to 180 names in one of my contact lists. I do not want to use a distribution llist or have all the email addresses appear in the message. How do I use Outlook 2007 to do that? Use the BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) line instead of To. It will suppress the recipient list so the recipients can't see who else was sent the same mail. -- Kathleen Orland Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "Keith4321" wrote: > I want to send an individual email to 180 names in one of my contact lists. I > do not want ...

Editing Exchange Group Email
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I am running Entourage on a corporate network that is utilizing MS Enchange for their email server. Corporate IT Support has setup an alias/group email for me and identified me as the owner of this group. How can I add/remove the participants of the group? On 1/4/10 2:34 PM, jnelson@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: > Intel Email Client: Exchange I am running Entourage on a corporate > network that is utilizin...

where are the compacted email?
Iv had the message pop up recently about compacting my messages i cliked ok because i thought it would just re file them or something. But my inbox read email that were from before last month have all gone. Do they get saved into a forlder oh just deleted? Iv lost hundreds of important messages n contact details boo! It's compaction of the message store, not the messages themselves. It just cleans up the index. Your messages are still there, just check the View setting for the Inbox. -- Dave N. MS-MVP (Mail) Windows 7 Ultimate http://download.live.com/wlmail ...

except export/import, how can I retain old users mail content
If I have changed my login account, how can I retain all my old e-mail content since it will launch a new Outlook profile according to my new login account. I need to change with many login IDs, it is posssible to change the login profile instead of import or export so that I can continue to use all my old content within outlook? How can I change the settings, please advise.. Thx a lots... George You'd need to put the .PST file in a place that's accessible to all the Windows profiles, and then point each login's Outlook profile to that ..PST file. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP ...

Pop Up Alert of New Email Message
How do I turn off the pop up announcement that appears when I am trying to write an email or even while I'm producing a document on MS Word? A pop up announcement alerting me that a new message has been received comes on and interrupts my work until I acknowledge receipt of the pop up.Thanks to anyone out there who can help me with this one. You can disable this by going to; Tools -> Options -> tab Preferences -> button E-mail Options -> button Advanced E-mail Options -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Cre...

DNS Server dot deleting old records
First post here I'm in a Domain in which we have two domain controllers and two DNS servers (also WINS servers as Exchange 2003 was never fully tested without it), also we are in native mode. My problem is that we have an old bunch of records of all machines in DNS, we have DHCP and the zone is configure for Dynamics update, so in essence the old records should be delete it every 7 days cause Scavenge is active. I've search the web and I just found that the Scavenge should be active in two places which we have but still the old records are there. I would like to know...

emails, send and receive
I can not receive or send emails using windows mail, when receiving mail this is the error message: Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'jack murdoch-north', Server: 'pop3.blueyonder.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F When sending this is the error message: Server: 'smtp.blueyonder.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '250 HELP', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error:...

Tool for auto loading/refreshing/updating/etc...
Can anyone recommend a tool that can load workbooks on a schedule, perform tasks, etc, etc.... Thank you. Richard Windows Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Scheduled Tasks. Use the Workbook_Open event for the workbooks you specify to be loaded. In that event, call the code that needs to run to do the tasks. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Richard Edwards" <do.not.use@do.not.use.com> wrote in message news:%23xcQeQnIGHA.1124@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Can anyone recommend a tool that can load workbooks on a schedule, perform > tasks, etc, etc.... > > Tha...

auto save email address's
In outlook 2007, how do I set it to auto save email address's that I send out? No full versions of Outlook ever had the ability to add recipients automatically to your Contacts Folder. Only the long abandoned IMO mode of Outlook 98/2000 did that. To automatically add the email address of people you respond to to your Contacts Folder requires code: http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/autoaddrecip.htm http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/addauto.htm -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Johnfli" <john@ivhs.us> wrote in message news:%23t7Bb82DIHA.1164@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... &g...

Contacts Search not working any more in Outlook 2007
Suddenly my Search Contacts comes up with no results. For example, I search for John (there are hundreds in my contacts) and none show up. I search "all contacts" and still it finds nothing. What can I do? Thanks. ...

Multiple POP3 email accounts??
I have 2 POP3 email accounts setup on Outlook 2003, POPaccount#1 and POPaccount#2 By default Outlook downloads all of the email from both accounts into the same inbox. How do I get Outlook to download the emails for the 2 accounts, POPaccount#1 and POPaccount#2 into 'separate' inboxes? Example: Inbox1 , Inbox2 I tried creating a folder "inbox2", but when I go to: tools/options/mail setup/send-recieve/edit: the folder "inbox2" does not show up as an option. I tried creating separate (.pst) files for the 2 accounts, but outlook seems to only be able to downloa...

Importing email addresses into Outlook 2003
When I import my Earthlink mailbox csv Excel file into Outlook 2003, my email addresses do not appear in my Outlook contact list, even though they appear when I open the Excel csv file. Does anyone know how to resolve this problem, short of manually entering the email address. Did you manually map the email field when you were importing your CSV file or did you assume it would pick the right field? Karl -- __________________________________________ Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 "Power contact importers for MS Outlook '2000/2...

Max Email Size
Hi all. I have a strange problem. I have an Exchange 5.5 installed on Windows NT 4. The server is configure to accept a maximum email size of 30 meg. The problem is that email with an attachement over 10 meg is refuse by the server. My user have an outgoing maximum size at 15 meg and a incomming of 5 meg. What's the problem ? Thanks Jonathan The problem is some other mail server, like recipient's (or relay), which has different message size limit. Jonathan wrote: > Hi all. > > I have a strange problem. > > I have an Exchange 5.5 installed on Windows NT 4. Th...

Personal.XLS dosen't remain with Excel file when emailed
I have put together a simple spreadsheet that contains some visual basic (ie: pop up calendar). It all works fine at home (where I created it). Sent it to my workplace, tried to open it and got an error message telling me that Personal.xls couldn't be found. I can close out of that error window and the spreadsheet loads, but needless to say my popup calendar will not function properly. When I actually look in the VB Editor the whole Personal.xls file is missing. What is it I have to do so that this stays attached to my excel file when I email it? Thanks in advance for any input.....

Using Outlook Contacts as AddressBook in WordPerfect 12
FYI: In case anyone else is interested, I finally discovered how to access the Outlook Contacts when I want to enter an address for an envelope or label in WordPerfect 12: You have to enter the address as a 'Business' address, and check the box that says "This is the mailing address". If you click down and enter a 'Home' address - even if you check the box that says "This is the mailing address", it will not work; apparently, it only recognizes the 'Business' address. Did you find out to which versions of Outlook this applies? -- Russ Va...

email account 02-28-10
I am having trouble setting this account up. I just don't understand anything about POP3 or POP1 servers. Can you please help First, you need to have a Yahoo PLUS account - the one you pay for. Do you have that - or the free one? If you only have the free one, you can only use the webmail access, not Windows Mail. "tonya kelley" <tkelley731@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OQ0Jm7MuKHA.4492@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I am having trouble setting this account up. I just don't understand > anything about POP3 or POP1 servers. Can you please he...

recalling emails
Is there a way to stop an email message sent to a couple groups in an Exchange 2003 system? An administration dept. user has sent a confidential document by mistake to two different groups and if she does a "recall" on that email the recipient has the option of not letting it be recalled. I need to know how to delete it without getting into everyone's mailbox. Any help appreciated, Rob On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:07:55 -0700, "Rob" <rob@tes.net> wrote: >Is there a way to stop an email message sent to a couple groups in an >Exchange 2003 system? >An...

i cant send email messages
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'Emailing: IMG_7147', Account: 'pop.gmail.com', Server: 'smtp.gmail.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F The error "unexpectedly terminated" is usually caused by interference from an antivirus program. Which antivirus are you running? Some of them cause problems with Windows Mail over time. As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus should be tu...

vcards export just one email address
Hello! When I export a contact with more than one email address to a vcard file and import it later again - there is just one email address in the vcard. when I open the vcard file in a text editor I see always just one email address. Does anyone know about this problem and how the export and import vcards properly in outlook 2003? thanks! Bjorn ...

Multiple emails #2
Hi all, Got a problem with Exch 2003 sp2. a few of my users are receiving multiple emails (like about 20-30 per day) of the same email. The times are different. has anyone else had similar issues? Exchange is sitting behind a Linux SME box which filters virus and spam before forwarding to Exchange. Could it be that the sending mail server believes that the email is not being sent so it keep trying? I got nothing other than that. -- Regards, Nathan Henderson Onlineze Web Solutions Email: nathan@onlineze.com.au Mob: 0414 888 428 yes, that's quite possible. "Nathan Hen...

trouble deleting emails access denied?
Can't seem to access my emails to delete them. I recently changed web hosting... would that affect this? unfix8r <unfix8r@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Can't seem to access my emails to delete them. I recently changed > web hosting... would that affect this? That shouldn't be a factor. What version of Outlook? What type of account? Exactly when do you get this message? What are you viewing when you get it? WHat are you pressing or clicking when you get it? Is that the entire, exact text of the message? -- Brian Tillman ...

Not getting email from someone!
I am using outlook 2002 and have no problem sending and recieving email but there is a couple of people that I used to get email from them now i don't get it!!?? Is your ISP blocking their domain? I would contact your ISP and ask. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Shiva asked: | I am using outlook 2002 and have no problem sending and | recieving e...

Old messages left after running autoarchive
Autoarchive runs every 14 days and moves items to the archive that are older than 6 months. If I check the Archive folders, this seems to be the case as there are no items newer than 6 months. Howver, there is one particular folder (there may be others) that still contains items older than 6 months. I clicked the "Apply these settings to all folders now" button in Tools, Options, Other, AutoArchive, and sure enough the settings have been applied to this particular folder. I don't understand why I can still see items older than 6 months in it. -- Richard Search ...

permissions problem with sending email
I am trying to send an email to a distribution list, but I get an error saying "an interal support function returned an error." I looked this up and it references the permissions settings on the File menu. I looked at the permissions settings and there is a check box next to unrestricted access. I have not had problems sending to this group before. Any ideas? ...