How do I change my "Personal Contacts" to just Contacts?

My computer crashed but not before I saved my Outlook folder.  The problem is
how do I import all of the data (emails, contacts, calendar) into the right
places?  The old was 2003; the new is 2007.  As of now, the old "Outlook"
folder is sitting on my new Desktop, which probably doesn't make the most
sense.  The main issue is that all of my contacts are listed as "Personal
Contacts" when I really want to make them just "Contacts" in general and
create a subset of truly personal contacts.  Thanks.

goodguy9544;112956 Wrote:
> My computer crashed but not before I saved my Outlook folder.  The
> problem is
> how do I import all of the data (emails, contacts, calendar) into the
> right
> places?  The old was 2003; the new is 2007.  As of now, the old
> "Outlook"
> folder is sitting on my new Desktop, which probably doesn't make the
> most
> sense.  The main issue is that all of my contacts are listed as
> "Personal
> Contacts" when I really want to make them just "Contacts" in general
> and
> create a subset of truly personal contacts.  Thanks.

There is no need to import.  Use the Mail applet in Control Panel to
add your old PST to your new Outlook and make it the delivery location.
Start Outlook and you'll have exactly what you had before.

--
Brian Tillman

[MVP-Outlook]
http://forums.slipstick.com

0
Brian

Error Tracking Personal Contacts in CRM
When the User clicks the Track in CRM for their (personal, not global) contacts in Outlook, they get this error msg: You cannot link this item to CRM. Synchronization with this record or activity type has been turned off. How can I enable CRM to synch these Contacts? It sounds like Contact sync has been disabled. Check the user's personal options. -- Jason -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "MD" <MD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:998032C2-7C03-4729-BC68-433046B0F929@microsoft.com... > Wh...

Personal Contacts causes Outlook to close!
This is a new one for me. I have a user that is experiencing problems with their Outlook account. Every time they create a new message and attempt to access the Personal Contacts list, Outlook promptly exits with no warning or error message. This not only occurs in the "new" or "compose" message screen, but at any time when the user attempts to access the Personal Contacts. System - WinXP Pro SP1, Office 2K SP3 Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Can they open their contacts folder successfully just by clicking on it? You aren't using a PAB file, are you? H...

Personal Contacts in Outlook being added to Accounts ... should no
CRM Outlook Client for CRM 4.0 is associating a users personal contacts, not company related, to Accounts in CRM and Tracking them. The user is not manually doing the Track in CRM. I am assuming that a synchornization setting in the CRM options for their Outlook is causing this, but not sure which one. You could go to CRM-Modify Local Data Groups menu in Outlook. Here you can view and edit the Contacts that are synchronized between the CRM system and Outlook. You could specify your own conditions based on which the synchronization should happen. If you do not want automatic synchroni...

Restrict personal contacts
We would like all contacts and accounts to be created in CRM. Is there any way to prevent users from entering contacts in the outlook client? I have checked the GPO and Registry but cannot find a good way. I have been able to limit some of the menu items in the GPO but do not see in the GPO where to turn off creating new contacts. I can use the registry to hide the contacts navigation pane but the user can easily load it back until next login. The outlook.xml for the nav pane was not much help either. If anyone knows the VBA for turning that off it would be much appreciated! Thanks, Jas...

Transfer a Distribution list from personal contacts to the GAL?
Is this possible. One of my users has a large distribution list that contains e-mail address that are not in my orgainzation. He wants other users to be able to see it. I was thinking of adding it to the Global Address List, but I can only add users within my own domain, and not external addresses. Is it possible to add external addresses? Or do I have to share out the distribution list? I'm running Exchange 2003 SP2 and Outlook 2003. Thanks! you need to create "contacts" in AD for all the external addresses, then add them to a distribution group... -- Susan Conkey [MVP...

Webmail Personal Contacts
We've noticed that when we are accessing webmail that, while our personal contacts have been copied to the exchange account, it appears that Outlook does not search the personal contact list when searching for names in the address field. It searches the Global Addresses without an issue, but not the personal one even though it is accessible in webmail. For instance, if I have a Joe Smith in my personal contact list and a Jane Smith in the Global Addresses and I type in "Smith" it will find Jane but not Joe. Even if I type in Joe's full name it will not come up with it. I can...

Howto add the personal contacts to GAL?
Hi! I want to add my all contacts in Outlook 2003 to Global Address List (GAL) of Exchange 2003 Server. How can I do it? Bye Exchange 2003 does not support this funation! But you can use AD User and computer mmc tool to add mail enable contact to AD,it will show in Exchange GAL! -- Jammyù�ٴ� "mustafa" <mustafa@discussions.microsoft.com> ���g��l��s�D :40B661C5-F4A2-4DF8-9EA6-EB54583E794C@microsoft.com... > Hi! > I want to add my all contacts in Outlook 2003 to Global Address List (GAL) > of Exchange 2003 Server. > How can I do it? > > Bye Hi Jammy,...

Just added a shared contacts on exhange server, and now activesync & outllook only trade personal contacts- help
I opened on a windows server a public contacts folder, which is about to be shared throughout the network individual users will keep private contacts in their own contacts folder, but anything applicable companywide is destined to be kept in the shared contacts folder. I started by moving all of my contacts that are applicable system wide to the shared contacts folder. on my next active sync, all of them were removed from the pocketpc. how does one get both of those groups of contacts to appear on an individuals pocketpc? shared+local.... thank you for any insights... In news:...

How do I change my "Personal Contacts" to just Contacts?
My computer crashed but not before I saved my Outlook folder. The problem is how do I import all of the data (emails, contacts, calendar) into the right places? The old was 2003; the new is 2007. As of now, the old "Outlook" folder is sitting on my new Desktop, which probably doesn't make the most sense. The main issue is that all of my contacts are listed as "Personal Contacts" when I really want to make them just "Contacts" in general and create a subset of truly personal contacts. Thanks. goodguy9544;112956 Wrote: > My computer cra...

Can i disable/remove the personal contacts-folder
Hi, i got a question about a thing that i want to do with Microsoft Exchange 2003 & Outlook: Can i make the public-contacts-folder as default??? Because i want all my colleagues to only use the PUBLIC-folder of the contacts and not the personal... When they are using their personal-contacts-folder it gets al messed up because everybody got different contacts...!! So what i want is to use only ONE central public contacts folder and i don't want to have the PERSONAL contacts displayed (i want to have it deleted/removed/not displayed/uninstalled/not used or whatever!)! is it poss...

Outlook personal Contacts: mass update to CRM?
Hi all, I'm trying to figure out a way how users can easily move (or share actually) their personal Contacts already in Outlook, to CRM. I'm aware it's not too difficult to do it manually by first activating a Contact and then hittin Track in CRM. Still it would be extremely helpful it this could be done as a mass operation. Especially when the number of personal Contacts (which now would need to be shared in CRM) is huge. Any ways to approach this? Thanks in advance! -Eric- Here is a nice link : http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/crm/using/configure/outlookimport.mspx ...

Change Personal Contacts to Main Contacts
I moved my .pst files, etc to a new computer, since the USB ports on my older machine stopped working, and I couldn't sync my Pocket PC. At one time, my contacts/address book got messed up (don't remember the details), and now all my Contacts are in 'Personal Contacts' It's no problem in Outlook, since I can tell it where to show the names from, but since my Pocket PC (2495) only syncs the main Contacts folder - I get no contacts in the Pocket PC Is there a way to move all the contacts from the Personal 'folder' to the main 'contacts' folder? (le...

OWA personal contacts home page
I am running Exchange 2K3 on a Windows 2003 AD. My clients outlook 2003 has the contacts home page set to the sharepoint services contact list. When the same user logs in using OWA the contacts are no longer linked to the WSS contacts. How would I go about getting this to work correctly? TIA, Tony ...

How to synch personal contacts w/ a contacts list in a public fold
Several Outlook 2003 users with Blackberries want to 1) easily copy the contacts from several public contacts folders into their own personal contacts and 2) be able to receive changes when the public folder contact lists are updated by one person. What is the easiest way to do this? Is there any way to "synch" the contacts in the public folder to these users' personal contacts without their intervention? -- Lisa M Not easy but check these options: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm Also, you may want to check with the folks in microsoft.public.pocketpc.actives...

share personal contacts and distribution list
Can we share personal contacts and distribution list? I am frustrated to make a DLwith external 10 email addresses working so I think it may have another way to share perosnal contacts and DL? In news:CFF9C49E-21B5-42B6-A031-D1D8FB2F7661@microsoft.com, ginger8990 <ginger8990@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Can we share personal contacts and distribution list? > I am frustrated to make a DLwith external 10 email addresses working > so I think it may have another way to share perosnal contacts and DL? Yes, you can share your contacts folder--or other folders--with other u...