Problems Opening Notebooks from Server 2008 Folder Share

I have asked before with no solution, and searched and searched, and am
perplexed so I thought I would pose my question and summarize again.  Our
office uses ON extensively so this is very important to us.

A summary of the issue:
1. All notebooks were saved on a SBS 2003 server share for a few years and
all worked great!
2. We moved to a new Server 2008 server, and copied all notebooks to a share
on the new server.
3. Now, if we try to open the notebook from a drive mapped to the server
share, we get an error requesting a password but can't enter a password, and
can't open the notebook.
4. If we navigate to the folder through the UNC path, the file opens with no
problem.

I have found this post that states that there are problems if WebDAV is
installed on the server, but we do not have WebDAV:
http://blogs.msdn.com/david_rasmussen/

I have found this post discussing problems if files are on a sharepoint
server, but we do not have a sharepoint server:
http://blogs.msdn.com/descapa/archive/2008/05/01/onenote-doesn-t-open-a-shared-notebook-on-sharepoint-on-windows-server-2008.aspx

Any help would be very much appreciated!  This is very imporant to us.
onenote 551 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I apologize that I had apparently overlooked a few responses to some older

When I try to open the notebook from the mapped drive (F), it shows the
notebook on the left side of ON but has a red symbol showing it can't be
openned.  If I hover over it, it does not show the file as
F:\Ontenotefiles\File, it shows http://server/onenotefiles/file.  Does this
help at all?

Thanks again!

"pwncpa" wrote:

> I have asked before with no solution, and searched and searched, and am
> perplexed so I thought I would pose my question and summarize again.  Our
> office uses ON extensively so this is very important to us.
>
> A summary of the issue:
> 1. All notebooks were saved on a SBS 2003 server share for a few years and
> all worked great!
> 2. We moved to a new Server 2008 server, and copied all notebooks to a share
> on the new server.
> 3. Now, if we try to open the notebook from a drive mapped to the server
> share, we get an error requesting a password but can't enter a password, and
> can't open the notebook.
> 4. If we navigate to the folder through the UNC path, the file opens with no
> problem.
>
> I have found this post that states that there are problems if WebDAV is
> installed on the server, but we do not have WebDAV:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/david_rasmussen/
>
> I have found this post discussing problems if files are on a sharepoint
> server, but we do not have a sharepoint server:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/descapa/archive/2008/05/01/onenote-doesn-t-open-a-shared-notebook-on-sharepoint-on-windows-server-2008.aspx
>
> Any help would be very much appreciated!  This is very imporant to us.
Ok, when I try to create a folder on that mapped drive I get an error.  So, I
select to create it on F:\, and I get this error:

OneNote cannot create a new notebook at:
http://Server/Firm Docs/Test/     (note: it does not say F:\)
Possible reasons include:
- The specified location is not available

Thanks!

"pwncpa" wrote:

> I apologize that I had apparently overlooked a few responses to some older
>
> When I try to open the notebook from the mapped drive (F), it shows the
> notebook on the left side of ON but has a red symbol showing it can't be
> openned.  If I hover over it, it does not show the file as
> F:\Ontenotefiles\File, it shows http://server/onenotefiles/file.  Does this
> help at all?
>
> Thanks again!
>
> "pwncpa" wrote:
>
> > I have asked before with no solution, and searched and searched, and am
> > perplexed so I thought I would pose my question and summarize again.  Our
> > office uses ON extensively so this is very important to us.
> >
> > A summary of the issue:
> > 1. All notebooks were saved on a SBS 2003 server share for a few years and
> > all worked great!
> > 2. We moved to a new Server 2008 server, and copied all notebooks to a share
> > on the new server.
> > 3. Now, if we try to open the notebook from a drive mapped to the server
> > share, we get an error requesting a password but can't enter a password, and
> > can't open the notebook.
> > 4. If we navigate to the folder through the UNC path, the file opens with no
> > problem.
> >
> > I have found this post that states that there are problems if WebDAV is
> > installed on the server, but we do not have WebDAV:
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/david_rasmussen/
> >
> > I have found this post discussing problems if files are on a sharepoint
> > server, but we do not have a sharepoint server:
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/descapa/archive/2008/05/01/onenote-doesn-t-open-a-shared-notebook-on-sharepoint-on-windows-server-2008.aspx
> >
> > Any help would be very much appreciated!  This is very imporant to us.
Also, I found this old post that seems to mirror my issues:
http://www.archivum.info/microsoft.public.onenote/2008-09/00366/ON_file_not_working_off_a_file_server

He seemed to solve this through the offline files setting.  I have checked
and this was enabled on my workstation, but was not enabled on my server 2008
machine.

pwncpa wrote:
> I have asked before with no solution, and searched and searched, and
> am perplexed so I thought I would pose my question and summarize
> again.  Our office uses ON extensively so this is very important to
> us.

> A summary of the issue:
> 1. All notebooks were saved on a SBS 2003 server share for a few
> years and all worked great!
> 2. We moved to a new Server 2008 server, and copied all notebooks to
> a share on the new server.
> 3. Now, if we try to open the notebook from a drive mapped to the
> server share, we get an error requesting a password but can't enter a
> password, and can't open the notebook.
> 4. If we navigate to the folder through the UNC path, the file opens
> with no problem.

Dumb question:
Why don't you use the UNC path to open the notebooks (instead of the
mapped drive letter)?
\\servername\directory\

I have set the default location for ON like this.

Rainald

0
Rainald
12/9/2009 10:51:44 AM
pwncpa wrote:
> Ok, when I try to create a folder on that mapped drive I get an
> error.  So, I select to create it on F:\, and I get this error:
>
> OneNote cannot create a new notebook at:
> http://Server/Firm Docs/Test/     (note: it does not say F:\)
> Possible reasons include:
> - The specified location is not available

Once again the very strange appearance of a *URL*.

What happens if you try to save a Word-doc or an Excel XLS to the mapped
location?

Rainald

0
Rainald
12/9/2009 10:56:54 AM
pwncpa wrote:
> "pwncpa" wrote:

>> Ok, when I try to create a folder on that mapped drive I get an
>> error.  So, I select to create it on F:\, and I get this error:
>>
>> OneNote cannot create a new notebook at:
>> http://Server/Firm Docs/Test/     (note: it does not say F:\)
>> Possible reasons include:
>> - The specified location is not available

> Also, I found this old post that seems to mirror my issues:

http://www.archivum.info/microsoft.public.onenote/2008-09/00366/ON_file_not_working_off_a_file_server

> He seemed to solve this through the offline files setting.  I have
> checked and this was enabled on my workstation, but was not enabled
> on my server 2008 machine.

I had been active in this thread and dimly remembered it ;-)
As Fergus said "So it seems if you enable offline folders of any sort
through the same
mapped drive on which your ON files are, it won't work.", did you try to
*DISABLE* the "Offline-Files" feature on the workstation?

Rainald

0
Rainald
12/9/2009 11:13:58 AM
pwncpa wrote:
> I apologize that I had apparently overlooked a few responses to some
> older responses.  Something new that I noticed:
>
> When I try to open the notebook from the mapped drive (F), it shows
> the notebook on the left side of ON but has a red symbol showing it
> can't be openned.

No, wrong assumption.
If the file appears in the navigation pane it is open.
The red symbol indicates that it can not be *synched*.

>  If I hover over it, it does not show the file as
> F:\Ontenotefiles\File, it shows http://server/onenotefiles/file.
> Does this help at all?

If it shows the syntax  for an *URL* there is something seriously wrong
with the settings on the server or the client or both.
Could it be that a Webserver (IIS f.e.) gets in the way?

Rainald

0
Rainald
12/9/2009 12:10:24 PM
Can you jump over to my blog and use email link at its upper right to contact
me?

Sorry for the problems.

--
Thanks,
John Guin

"pwncpa" wrote:

> Also, I found this old post that seems to mirror my issues:
> http://www.archivum.info/microsoft.public.onenote/2008-09/00366/ON_file_not_working_off_a_file_server
>
> He seemed to solve this through the offline files setting.  I have checked
> and this was enabled on my workstation, but was not enabled on my server 2008
> machine.
>
> "pwncpa" wrote:
>
> > Ok, when I try to create a folder on that mapped drive I get an error.  So, I
> > select to create it on F:\, and I get this error:
> >
> > OneNote cannot create a new notebook at:
> > http://Server/Firm Docs/Test/     (note: it does not say F:\)
> > Possible reasons include:
> > - The specified location is not available
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > "pwncpa" wrote:
> >
> > > I apologize that I had apparently overlooked a few responses to some older
> > >
> > > When I try to open the notebook from the mapped drive (F), it shows the
> > > notebook on the left side of ON but has a red symbol showing it can't be
> > > openned.  If I hover over it, it does not show the file as
> > > F:\Ontenotefiles\File, it shows http://server/onenotefiles/file.  Does this
> > > help at all?
> > >
> > > Thanks again!

Thanks John.  I just sent you an email from your blog.

Paul

John Guin [msft] wrote:

> Can you jump over to my blog and use email link at its upper right to
> contact me?

It's great to see that you are going to help the OP on his problem!
But why do you take the issue back to "private mail"?
Questions of this sort drop in every now and then. So it seems to be an
important topic.
If the OP with your aid will find out the reason for his problem (URL
instead of a UNC path) and a solution will be found, this for sure would
be mist interesting for the community.
Therefore IMO it might have been better to keep this "public".

In any case it would be most valuable if the OP or you could post a
report in the findings in here.

TIA
Rainald

> Sorry for the problems.
>

>> Also, I found this old post that seems to mirror my issues:

http://www.archivum.info/microsoft.public.onenote/2008-09/00366/ON_file_not_working_off_a_file_server

>> He seemed to solve this through the offline files setting.  I have
>> checked and this was enabled on my workstation, but was not enabled
>> on my server 2008 machine.
>>
>> "pwncpa" wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, when I try to create a folder on that mapped drive I get an
>>> error.  So, I select to create it on F:\, and I get this error:
>>>
>>> OneNote cannot create a new notebook at:
>>> http://Server/Firm Docs/Test/     (note: it does not say F:\)
>>> Possible reasons include:
>>> - The specified location is not available
>>>
>>> Thanks!

http://blogs.msdn.com/descapa/archive/2008/05/01/onenote-doesn-t-open-a-shared-notebook-on-sharepoint-on-windows-server-2008.aspx

0
Rainald

Leaving messages on server
Where do I select the option to leave messages on server so I can view them on another computer? In the advanced properties of your POP mail account settings. Without knowing your version of Outlook, hard to tell you more. Troy wrote: > Where do I select the option to leave messages on server > so I can view them on another computer? ...

New server question
I just installed a new exchange server on my network and it seems to work great for reciving and sending external mail but the users on the old server can not send mail to users on the new server. They are both in the same domain. I have check the relay restrinctions and nothing pops out at me. users get an error that says: Relaying denied. Proper authentication required TIA these servers are in the same routing group? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Josh" <Jsawyer@insightbb.com> wrote in message news:eICByC66FHA.4036@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I just installed a new ex...

there was an error reading the rules from the server
I'm getting this error when i try to run the "oiut of the office assistent". any idia? I run Outlook 2000 with Exchange server. Thanks Ronnie ...

MS CRM 3.0 and Exchange Server 2000
I have a query regarding installation of CRM E-mail Router. I have a MS CRM 3.0 installed on a Windows 2003 Server, we're using a Exchange Server 2000 on W2K Server SP4, can I install the Router on the Exchange Server 2000? check the implementaiton guide, it gives you system requirements "John Ding" wrote: > I have a query regarding installation of CRM E-mail Router. I have a MS CRM > 3.0 installed on a Windows 2003 Server, we're using a Exchange Server 2000 on > W2K Server SP4, can I install the Router on the Exchange Server 2000? > > > I have...

Combo box filter before form opens
frmSearchType with cboType and cmdOpenForm which opens frmEntryEdit. frmEntryEdit uses cboEntryNum to allow user to select from the filtered records. This is working correctly, however if no records fit the filter, I get an open frmEntryEdit, with no records in the cboEntryNum. I would rather have a message box that states "No Data fits the criteria", than have frmEntry Edit open. Is this possible? -- Teach me to fish! Thanks for the help. Pax, M m stroup wrote: >frmSearchType with cboType and cmdOpenForm which opens frmEntryEdit. >frmEntryEdit use...

Copy Public Folders
I am trying to make a copy of some Public folders on an Exchange 5.5 server using Outlook 2000. It starts copying and stops, saying an unknown error has occurred. I am using the administrator mailbox which is the Service Administrator in Exchange. I can view, open, and make changes to the items in the Public Folders. Any ideas? "David Hurst" <11dhurst@123vecelliogroup.com> wrote in news:ur2q9bY8DHA.2952@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl: > I am trying to make a copy of some Public folders on an Exchange 5.5 > server using Outlook 2000. > It starts copying and stops, saying an...

excel file can't be opened #2

MBF file won't open...am I hosed???
In my previous computer I had a flaky hard drive. While it still worked I backed up all my important files to CD's and DVD's. Since I dutifully backed up my MNY file (to two locations) each time I used my Money 2001 I didn't think to copy my MNY file I merely copied the MBF files from those locations. Once, I had to use that an MBF file as my MNY file was corrupt and it worked flawlessly. I saw no reason why it shouldn't do so again. Plus I was in panic mode to get all the data possible from the dying HD. Now that I have a new computer I installed my copy of MM 2001 and wh...

Sharing Outlook #2

Sharing tasks in OL 2007
We have a staff Atty office which keeps task lists for Civil (CV) and Criminal (CR) cases by year. There are like 2 - 3 for every year such as CV09 and CR09, however they track for more than just the current year. The person that creates these lists uses some user defined fields so when new users get these shared, they have to create the same fields. My question relates to the inconsistent behavior of the field when adding it to a new task list. Sometimes, the user enters a new field and it is available for subsequent task lists and other times the user has to add teh same new...

A Linking Problem
Assume I have a column of numbers, in a file named Source. (range is B2:B10). These cells are linked to a column in a file named Destination(range is E2:E10). If I add a new row 5 to the source, is there a way I can get the previously linked cells in Destination to continue to display the correct values. After adding the new row 5 in source, rows in Destination below row 5 display values from rows below (in the Source file). I hope this is not too confusing a question (I am confused). If it of importance, the linking was done using Paste Link in the Paste Special dialog. Thanks. Hi PA Yo...

"Object not found" error and Archive Folders
I am battling hard to find who on this planet knows this one I have a rogue 'Archive Folder' living next to my Personal Folders tha I am unable to remove - when I select 'Close "Archive Folders"' th following error dialog is displayed "The operation failed. An object could not be found I've got Outlook 2003 (Office Pro Edition) running on XP Pro - with al and latest updates. I've verified I can add and remove other datafile with no issue - this is also my default archive folder. To explain further, the archive folder in question is the same one a spe...

Select Multiple Folders
I have an Excel application, where the user can browse to a folder and process all the documents in that folder. I use the Office 10 FileDialog object (FolderPicker) to allow the user to do this with an easily recognizable dialog box. The problem is, the users would like to select multiple folders at a time (which FolderPicker does not allow). I could allow them Browse and select a folder, add it to a list, then Browse again and add to the list, then Browse again, but that would be a long tedious process. Is there anything that would allow me to select multiple folders at a time, similar to...

Form printing problem
Hi all, I have a form that holds customer records which we have been printing out for filing. I put a print record command button at the top of the form and this has been working perfectly for at least the last four years printing on plain paper using auto selection on the printer. Recently the form record has started printing onto header paper. It doesn't matter whether I change the properties on the printer it keeps printing to headed paper and the only way round was to put plain paper into the headed paper tray. We have now a new printer in the office which has been set as my defa...

Problems creating a newsletter
I chose the form "Newsletter - email". I have created a 3 page newsletter. Now, I have NO IDEA how to send it out as an email. I do not want to send it as an attachment. I cannot figure out which "save as" format or what I need to do so that i can email this newsletter. Is there a website that goes through how to do this? Am I correct when I say that it has to be html in order for me to send it as email? That is not one of the options. Any help you give me would be greatly appreciated. I am using 2003 Publisher. I created the book "Tri-Puzzles for Genesis - I"...

Excel 2000 fail to open workbook

Hotmail Problem Please Help
I am running Exchange 2003 Standard on a Windows 2003 Server. I also have ISA 2000 on the same box. Everything is working fine. The problem I am having is getting mail out to a hotmail address. When I send then mail, I see it sits in the Queue for less then a minute then disappears. It never makes it to the Hotmail address nor do I get any return errors back in my client indicating the mail never made it to its destination. On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:51:04 -0800, "Kevin Mc" <Kevin Mc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am running Exchange 2003 Standard on a Windows 200...

Error by open contacts or activities after Migration to CRM 3.0
Hello, i ve migrated our CRM 1.2 System to CRM 3.0 Now I get a error-page when I open contacts or activities or so. I cannot open the main form of these entities (customizing). Any ideas? Stefan ...

Windows 7 taskbar API problems
Folks The background is that an Access MDE/ACCDE created by a developer is not conceptually the same as an Excel spreadsheet or Word document file created by the user. My Auto FE Updater utility automatically downloads any new version created by the developer from the server to the workstation as well as doing lots of other stuff such as creating shortcuts on desk tops. If this was a user created Access database file which resides in the users My Documents folder, or similar, than they are conceptually the same as a Word or Excel file. The problem is if the user right-clicks on...

OWA deleting Public Folder Store
Hi I am trying to delete the Public Folder Store on my owa server but when i try to "Move All Replicas" ready to delete the store i received the below errors. Event Type: Error Event Source: EXAdmin Event Category: (14) Event ID: 9175 The following information is part of the event: OpenMsgStore, The attempt to log on to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer has failed. The MAPI provider failed. Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store ID no: 8004011d-0512-00000000. Figured this might be because i had deleted the mailbox store first so i have now created a new mailbox stor...

Deleting Multiple Public Folders
Hi Folks; I have Exchange 2000 installed and I had configured a newsfeed. That made about 65,000 public folders and I later decided to remove the newsfeed. I can delete the folders one by one but I can't seem to delete them all en masse. Does anyone know how to efficiently delete these public folders? Unsubscribing from the newsfeed first, of course. Can you delete multiples using Outlook? "Marvin Miller" <sales@real.com> wrote in message news:e49WxLcYGHA.4884@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi Folks; > > I have Exchange 2000 installed and I had configured a news...

Public Folder Calendar Reminders
We use MS-Exchange with Outlook in our organization. Further, we have set up a group calendar using public folders in Exchange to track group appointments. We enter appointments into this group folder and then invite the applicable people to the appointment. We have been unable to configure the folder to automatically set reminders for these appointments when we enter them. Any suggestions? ...

How To Access Thru News Server
"The messages are visible if you access the group directly using the news server, rather than via the unreliable web interface. -- David Biddulph" David made above comment earlier. How do you do that please? Thanks in advance for any replies. Saved from a previous post: If you're able (not behind a firewall at work???), you may want to connect directly to the MS newsservers. If you have Outlook Express installed, try clicking on these links (or copy and paste into MSIE). news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.excel.setup news://msnews.microsoft...

problems loading excel documents
When I try to open up an excel document via my documents it says that the same document is open already how can this be stopped Tina First try the standard fix(es)......Tools>Options>General uncheck "ignore other applications" OR Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes and note the space before the / mark). You may have to enter your full path to excel.exe....in that case surround with quotes as in..... "C:\mypath\to Excel\somewhere\excel.exe" /regserver Gord Dibben XL2002 On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 09:16:14 -0800, "Tina" <TinaSCovell...

Storing 7 days email on remote server
Hi, i need a solution to have a remote exchange server hold the last 7 days email in the same structure as our internal corporate exchange server. this is for DR purposes. i was thinking of implementing exchange 2003 in a remote data centre that stores the last 7 days emails. It will have the main MX records pointing to it and all emails will be forwarded to our corporate exchange server. Emails will be deleted off the remote server after 7 days oldest first. Part of our BCP is to have webmail access for users covering the last 7 days while we bring up our corporate exchange server in DR mod...