New page labels and templates

I am having a few problems in Onenote on a tabletPC w/ windows 7 pro x64:

1) I want to have new pages named on the tabs the same as what i ink in the
title box. all of my new pages are just coming up "Untitled"

2)my text recognition doesn't seem to be working...is there a setting and is
that why nothing is coming up for my page titles when they are inked?

3)Is there any way to have all sub-pages collapse under the main page so
that only the main page is visible until expanded?

4) I have seen PowerToys mentioned around. what are they?

5)Is there any way  to have a universal template for an entire notebook,
i.e. a school notebook with an engineering green grid paper look for the
template.

Thanks for any help and advice.
Craig
onenote 551 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Craig,

I can respond to a couple of your points.

3) I don't have an answer for this one but I'm anxious to hear any responses that you get as I would love to have the same ability.

4) The PowerToys are a great set of add-in pieces developed by John Guin (@ONUberAlles) and other various developers.  If you search in Google for OneNote PowerToys you will find a number of links.  There are many VERY useful tools here.

5)  I'm not sure about default templates for the notebook, I know you can default a template for a section.

I hope that helps.

Mike

Mike Moore
Daytona State College
Daytona Beach, FL
0
mikeatdsc (4)
3/12/2010 3:19:23 PM

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> 3)Is there any way to have all sub-pages collapse under the main page so
> that only the main page is visible until expanded?

"collapse sub page groups" is a new feature for ON 2010

> 5)Is there any way  to have a universal template for an entire notebook,
> i.e. a school notebook with an engineering green grid paper look for the
> template.

Principle:

http://blogs.msdn.com/descapa/archive/2006/12/12/onenote-2007-templates.aspx

Templates:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT101172611033.aspx

Bernd
0
Bernd
3/12/2010 3:41:00 PM
I've looked into the engineering notebook template for a while but can't get
one to work correctly.
(There's probably a blog article in here, now that I think of it...)

Anyway, scanning or getting an image of a blank engineering page is
relatively easy.  The hard part is keeping the grid size intact.  Suppose the
grid size is 1/4" - this works fine on my machine.  But when I view the same
page on another machine with a different video resolution, the grid is not
guaranteed to be 1/4" any more.

What you can do for your machine is this:
1. Scan, find or otherwise make the image you want to use for a page in an
engineering notebook.
2. Make the size "look correct" on your machine.
3. Copy the image to the clipboard.
4. Paste onto a new clean OneNote page.
5. Right click it and set as background.

Now you can make a template out of this page and use it!

Alternately, you can use the template maker powertoy at
http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin/archive/2007/12/13/template-manager-powertoy-for-onenote-2007.aspx to create templates.

--
Thanks,
John Guin

"Bernd" wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>

> > 3)Is there any way to have all sub-pages collapse under the main page so
> > that only the main page is visible until expanded?
> >

> "collapse sub page groups" is a new feature for ON 2010
>
> > 5)Is there any way  to have a universal template for an entire notebook,
> > i.e. a school notebook with an engineering green grid paper look for the
> > template.
> >

> Principle:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/descapa/archive/2006/12/12/onenote-2007-templates.aspx
>
> Templates:
>
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT101172611033.aspx
>
> Bernd
> .

My biggest problem right now is that when i got this new tablet, it had vista
64 bit, and the text recognition in OneNote worked great. when i entered ink
in the title box, it became the title of the page. all was good in the world.
I upgrade to Windows 7, and text recognition in ON is gone...completely. I
can select inked notes,  but the convert handwriting to text button does
nothing. it is frustrating.
Thanks for any help.

"John Guin [msft]" wrote:

> I've looked into the engineering notebook template for a while but can't get
> one to work correctly.
> (There's probably a blog article in here, now that I think of it...)
>
> Anyway, scanning or getting an image of a blank engineering page is
> relatively easy.  The hard part is keeping the grid size intact.  Suppose the
> grid size is 1/4" - this works fine on my machine.  But when I view the same
> page on another machine with a different video resolution, the grid is not
> guaranteed to be 1/4" any more.
>
> What you can do for your machine is this:
> 1. Scan, find or otherwise make the image you want to use for a page in an
> engineering notebook.
> 2. Make the size "look correct" on your machine.
> 3. Copy the image to the clipboard.
> 4. Paste onto a new clean OneNote page.
> 5. Right click it and set as background.
>
> Now you can make a template out of this page and use it!
>
> Alternately, you can use the template maker powertoy at
> http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin/archive/2007/12/13/template-manager-powertoy-for-onenote-2007.aspx to create templates.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> John Guin
> OneNote Test Team
> http://blogs.msdn.com/johnguin
>

> "Bernd" wrote:
>

> > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> >

> > > 3)Is there any way to have all sub-pages collapse under the main page so
> > > that only the main page is visible until expanded?
> > >

> > "collapse sub page groups" is a new feature for ON 2010
> >
> > > 5)Is there any way  to have a universal template for an entire notebook,
> > > i.e. a school notebook with an engineering green grid paper look for the
> > > template.
> > >

> > Principle:
> >
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/descapa/archive/2006/12/12/onenote-2007-templates.aspx
> >
> > Templates:
> >
> > http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT101172611033.aspx
> >
> > Bernd
> > .

ACCESS on a new iBook?
Hi, Has anyone any experience on running Access under Virtual PC or similar? I have a new model iBook 1.42 Ghz, 512MB RAM (soon to be upped to 1 GB) and 10.4.6. I'm wanting it to brush up my knowledge for use at work so won't be using huge data sets, just playing with new builds & small amounts of test data. I don't really want to buy an old PC just for this so just wanted to check it wouldn't be unusably slow under virtualisation software. Any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers Jason ____ Hi Jason, Microsoft Access works fine in Virtual PC. Yes, it's slightly...

how to I block text not to break across columns or pages ?
I want to keep certain text together and not have it split apart over columns or on a new page: like several lines comprising an address in an address book -- I want to keep it all together. Either apply a style with the Keep With Next paragraph format option to all but the last of the paragraphs you wish to keep together or Use Shift+Enter to make a line break within the same paragraph -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MV...

How do I add column A data labels to a scatter of columns B and C?
I have made a scatter plot using columns B and C as my x and y coordinates. I would like to use the data in column A to label my points. I already have the XY chart labeler 97 installed and selected, but I don't know how to get the data labels to show up on my graph. Thank you! Hi Christina - There are a couple of well written Excel add-ins you can download to do this: Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com Both are free downloads, they install easily, and they integrate into Excel's interface very nicely. They l...

How can I cross reference a SmartArt Graphic to a page/text?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am trying to allow users to click on the SmartArt Graphic on my first page and automatically go to the respective page within the document. I click next to the wording on the graphic and go to Insert, but it will not allow me to insert the cross reference. You can do it the other way around - from the text to the graphic, but not from the graphic to the text. Anyone know a way around this or another way to do it? Objects cannot be used as active hyperlinks in a Word document. You can do what you describ...

template orright hand margin set up
I want to set up the right hand portion of my page to have a line down the margin and to have the word "NOTES" to appear at the top of this margin or column for each page. I write many college papers and I want the reader to have the courtesy to have a separate "NOTE" column for his own use as he/she reads the paper. Type the word "NOTES" in a text box that you anchor to the header paragraph; that way, it will be repeated on all pages using the header in question. For more, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/AnchorToHeader.htm. -- Stefan Bl...

How do I repeat my header on each page of an access form
!@#$%^&*?! I am frustrated. I want to repeat a header on each form. Help states that there is a repeat property that needs to be set to yes. I can't find it anywhere! I've double clicked, right clicked on every section and box and cannot find this property setting. Help!!! Evon wrote: > !@#$%^&*?! I am frustrated. I want to repeat a header on each form. Help > states that there is a repeat property that needs to be set to yes. I > can't > find it anywhere! I've double clicked, right clicked on every section and > box and cannot fin...

working with northwind template
I am trying to use the northwind template and need to know how to edit the data that comes with the template to put in mine. I have been able to edit the logo and name on the forms but in, for example, the inventory list- I can't delete the products listed. There are some rules about deleting data. When there is a relationship between 2 tables, any child records in the child table must be deleted before the parent records can be deleted. When you try to delete inventory transactions in northwind, you get a message telling that you can't delete because there are related...

Can we use group policy templates for Outlook client options
Hi there, We are looking to automate the CRM outlook client settings so we don't have to manually change them for each user. Is there any way we can do this through group policy or another way? It would be handy if we had a list of registry settings that we could use? Thanks ...

[ANN] New XML Text Editor in Visual Studio
Announcing: New XML Text Editor in Visual Studio 2005 Beta 1 Visual Studio 2005 Beta 1 contains a completely new XML Text Editor, built on top of the core text editor provided by Visual Studio. It is entirely written in C# and leverages all the cool stuff provided by the System.Xml ..NET assembly. The XML editor provides support for editing XML and DTD content, including special support for XSD and XSL and includes the following handy features: a.. Full syntax coloring for all XML and DTD syntax. b.. Well formedness checking while you type, with red squiggles and error list. c.. Intel...

New Record Problem when filtering
I'm using Access 2003 and have what at first seems like a common problem. On one of my forms if a user hits the scroll button on the mouse, it scrolls to a new record which then causes problems. I don't have sufficient rights to deploy a dll file so I got around it by changing the AllowAdditions setting to "No". Theoretically that should have worked and indeed it does if I open up a form directly. But in this database I often open up a form to a particular record using the "Where Condition" argument of the DoCmd.OpenForm command. When I do that, it opens...

Adding Property pages from Dll?
Hi, I want to create an app that allows the user to add property pages to my dialog box. I will off course have a basic property sheet but how can I add a page via a dll? Would COM be what I need? I recall something like that on codeproject but I cannot find it. Any hint? Many thanks Simon. I had this same requirement. I have a control panel applet that has a set of property pages. The applet will also look for components with certain extensions, LoadLibrary the module, and make a call into that dll via GetProcAddress mechanisms. One of the things returned is a pointer to a CProp...

Problems Getting a Field to Work in a New Mail Message form
I have Outlook 2000 SR-1 using IMO (Internet Mail Only - not Exchange Server). Does anyone know of a way to make sure the From: field appears in a new mail message? For reasons too lengthy to get into, it would be very helpful for me to see the From: field (with my default email address already filled in, of course) as well as they typical To:, CC: and Subject: fields when composing a new email. I did try to create a new form (Tools >Forms >Design a Form >Message) but when I used it, the default email address did not appear. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Sangrateo SangrateoATanonymo...

can I use Publisher to set up signatures of 8 pages?
I neeed to print and bind a book. I can't find any way to set up and print in sgnatures of 8 or so pages. I seem to be limited to 4 page bookfold. Any ideas? Insert, page -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "traveller" <traveller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9FD3B5CB-8D56-49DE-B632-06617A54EBE7@microsoft.com... >I neeed to print and bind a book. I can't find any way to set up and print in > sgnatures of 8 or so pages. I seem to be limited to 4 page bookfold. Any > idea...

Open New Visio Drawing using VBA in Word?
Hi, We're creating new Word 2007 templates, and some of them require flowchart functionality from Visio. Our goal is to create a macro within the Word template to call Visio, open a new drawing and have a custom stencil set open for users to use. Users would then open create their flowchart/diagram in Visio, and it would update automatically into the Word template when Visio is closed. I'm using the following code to start Visio, however I'm stuck on where to go from there: Sub Visio() Shell "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\VISIO.exe", vbN...

Choosing contact for new case email
If I am in a Case and I create a new Email for that case, the To: address is by default populated with the Account associated with that Case. In most cases, the account itself does not have an email address associated with it. Instead of the Account, I would like it to be pre-populated with the Responsible Contact for that Case. I can change this manually, but it requires many steps. 1) Is there any way to customize this behavior so that the Responsible Contact is in the To: field by default? 2) When I click on the "..." button next to To: which brings up the Search dial...

PAGES DISAPPEARED
I recently have lost pages of existing documents, and now I find I can't insert a page without losing the preceeding page. I'm not sure they're gone, but I can't access them because the little boxes at the bottom of the screen that contain the page numbers are gone. The only thing I can think of that might have caused this was a recent download (an update to Office 2007). Any ideas? You can download the page sorter utility and install it, that will get the tabs back. Look at the sixth FAQ here: http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs -- Mary Sauer http://msau...

How do I change the $ currency symbol in a balance sheet template
Can someone please help me remove the $ symbol from a template. I've set thre area settings but the 'format' and then 'Cells' option is not open to me. The sheet must be protected. You will have to unprotect the sheet first from the Tools>Protection>unprotect sheet. If it asks for a password, then probably you are not meant to fiddle around with the format of the template! "Dave" wrote: > Can someone please help me remove the $ symbol from a template. > > I've set thre area settings but the 'format' and then 'Cells' opt...

WHY CAN I RECEIVE BUT NOT SEND IN OUTLOOK 2003 FROM A NEW DELL COMPUTER? pLEASE HELP
i USE AN OPTIPLEX 210, WITH VERIZON DSL AND MICROSOFT SMALL BUSINESS EDITION 2003, WITH OUTLOOK 2003. Norton Internet Security SUite, with lowered settings. DSL is not the problem I don't think. I can send out via an alternate gmail pop account and in Outlook Express. This doesn't happen every day, and usually when it does after 3-5 hours of use of my computer. I can still receive, but the SENT email gets stuck in my outbox. I have to shut down my computer and start it up again and then I can send email. I had some memory problems indicated at shutdown, but no code that is resear...

How to generate dynamic XML from aspx page
Dear Friends, I was using the below code in ASP to dynamically generate XML from a SQL Query Does anyone knows how can I migrate this code to VB and ASPX? Regards Robson Machado Response.ContentType = "text/xml" Response.Write "<?xml version='1.0' ?>" dim RS, CN set CN = server.CreateObject("adodb.connection") set RS = server.CreateObject("adodb.recordset") CN.ConnectionString = strConnect CN.Open RS.Open SQLStmt,cn Response.Write "<ROOT>" Response.Write RS2XML(RS,"RESULT") Response.Write "</R...

Odd issues since new Domain...
HISTORY: Internal network: Win NT 4.0 server / Client Domain, 3 servers, 45 clients. Netopia 4652-T router at gateway. Internal Exchange Server 5.5. Internal WINS, NO Internal DNS presence installed. Single Public IP set at router with NAT running, basic firewall and server list allowing standard Exchange traffic and exposing Exchange info to Internet. Internal NT Domain Name: KICHICAGO External details: Our old Internet Domain name is "Knightinfrastructure.com", hosted by Macleod USA - Still active as Exchange e-mail domain. Our new Internet Domain is "Knightea.com&...

SmartList Security for New SmartLists
I'm having a problem with version 9 SmartList Security. I create a SmartList and then open SmartList and let it add the new object. I go to Advanced Security and the SmartList is marked automatically but nobody that is marked for it can see it. I have to unmark and remark the checkbox. Is there a setup issue or a software issue? -- Charles Allen, MVP Hi Charles, I have you gone into Smart list Security. I have found that even though the New Smartlist object is checked in Advanced Security, it will not be checked in the Smart List Security. I believe that this has been writt...

New Word template always prompts to save changes
Word 2003/XP Pro I am trying to create an alternative Normal.dot. Problem is when I try to save a document created from AltNormal, I always receive the prompt: "Do you want to save the changes to AltNormal.dot?". Typing and saving a few of characters is sufficient to cause the prompt. If I accept the prompt, the prompt returns when I next modify the document. All this occurs even if AltNormal has not been modified from Normal.dot. I have tried many different ways to resolve this including basing AltNormal on: (1) a copy of Normal.dot, (2) a clean document from Norm...

Receive new email notification for Inbox only
I have a number of rules operating in my Mailbox (Outlook 98), but I only want to receive the yellow envelope in the system tray when a new email arrives in my Inbox, not for the ones that are redirected to other folders. Anyone know how to do this? JGP <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a number of rules operating in my Mailbox (Outlook > 98), but I only want to receive the yellow envelope in the > system tray when a new email arrives in my Inbox, not for > the ones that are redirected to other folders. Since the messages come into your Inbox first,...

Can anyone suggest a good scheduling template for weekly shifts?
Am looking for help in scheduling two teams of five (5) persons....7am to 3pm, and 3pm to 11pm...Mon-Sat. (Sundays off). Furthermore...of the teams of five, the team covering 3pm to 11pm would give up one to cover 11pm to 3am... Major holidays off. (covered by On Call assignments) and minor holidays short staffing. Any suggestions? Am tired of doing it the "way we've always done it!" Thanks Hi, I have done something similiar (not very advanced) - you can take a look, maybe it will help you: http://blog.jausovec.net/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=165&blogI...

How can I attach an email (from my Live Mail inbox) to a new email
Neither the Insert nor Attach functions seem to provide a way to do this (which I do with the paperclip icon and then Item in Outlook 2003 on my other computer). -- Derek Do it the other way round... Right-click on the message you want to send, and select either "Forward", or "Forward as Attachment" -- Dave N. MS-MVP (Mail) Windows 7 Ultimate http://download.live.com/wlmail "Derek" <Derek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:51D8BE48-9C22-4600-A73A-121726FAD430@microsoft.com... > Neither the Insert nor Attach func...