How can I convert a Section Group to a new Notebook in OneNote 201

Hi, I have the OneNote 2010 beta. I seem to have created lots of section
groups inside the "OneNote Notebooks" notebook. I want to split them out and
convert them into separate notebooks. When I tried manually creating new
folders and moving the files into them in Windows Explorer, I could no longer
open the files at all -- eek!

Can someone knowledgeable tell me how to do this?
onenote 551 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Don't do it with Windows Explorer.

I'd create the new Notebook first.  Then move each of the sections from the
Section Group to the new Notebook. (right-click | Move or Copy)

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP
Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon

"Mimi_Tokyo" <Mimi_Tokyo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have the OneNote 2010 beta. I seem to have created lots of section
> groups inside the "OneNote Notebooks" notebook. I want to split them out
> and
> convert them into separate notebooks. When I tried manually creating new
> folders and moving the files into them in Windows Explorer, I could no
> longer
> open the files at all -- eek!
>
> Can someone knowledgeable tell me how to do this?

0
Ben
6/1/2010 9:33:05 PM

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> Don't do it with Windows Explorer.
>
> I'd create the new Notebook first.  Then move each of the sections from
> the Section Group to the new Notebook. (right-click | Move or Copy)

Hi Ben !

I would like to hear WHY NOT with Explorer ?
(technical background ?)

Bernd
0
Bernd
6/1/2010 9:56:32 PM
Oh, I dunno.   I just don't like mixing the metaphors.  It might be doable
with Explorer without causing a problem, but I just think it works more
smoothly in OneNote.  I also worry about if the OneNote TOCs will update
properly if you don't use OneNote to move the items - but that's just a
hunch.

Better safe than sorry.  If you move the sections using OneNote it will work
and you won't have any complications.  With Explorer....maybe, maybe not.

Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:

"Bernd" <fake@gmx.de> wrote in message

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>
>> Don't do it with Windows Explorer.
>>
>> I'd create the new Notebook first.  Then move each of the sections from
>> the Section Group to the new Notebook. (right-click | Move or Copy)
>>

> Hi Ben !
>
> I would like to hear WHY NOT with Explorer ?
> (technical background ?)
>
> Bernd

0
Ben
6/1/2010 11:01:45 PM

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> Oh, I dunno.   I just don't like mixing the metaphors.  It might be
> doable with Explorer without causing a problem, but I just think it
> works more smoothly in OneNote.  I also worry about if the OneNote TOCs
> will update properly if you don't use OneNote to move the items - but
> that's just a hunch.
>
> Better safe than sorry.  If you move the sections using OneNote it will
> work and you won't have any complications.  With Explorer....maybe,
> maybe not.

Ok, I understand ;-)

Bernd
0
Bernd
6/2/2010 1:22:05 PM
Thanks, Ben. I did this.

Did I mention I love OneNote? :)

Interestingly: when I first tried to create the new notebook, I gave it the
same name and got a message saying "do you want to use this section group as
your new notebook?" So I said yes. And then when I opened the new notebook --
which should have been a copy of my existing section group -- all the pages
were there but the data was ABOUT A WEEK OLD. My newest changes weren't
there! Very bizarre. So I deleted that, made a new EMPTY notebook and
manually moved the files into it as you suggested.

"Ben M. Schorr, MVP" wrote:

> Don't do it with Windows Explorer.
>
> I'd create the new Notebook first.  Then move each of the sections from the
> Section Group to the new Notebook. (right-click | Move or Copy)
>
> --
> -Ben-
> Ben M. Schorr, MVP
> Roland Schorr & Tower
> http://www.rolandschorr.com
> http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.htm
> Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
> http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon
>
> "Mimi_Tokyo" <Mimi_Tokyo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I have the OneNote 2010 beta. I seem to have created lots of section
> > groups inside the "OneNote Notebooks" notebook. I want to split them out
> > and
> > convert them into separate notebooks. When I tried manually creating new
> > folders and moving the files into them in Windows Explorer, I could no
> > longer
> > open the files at all -- eek!
> >
> > Can someone knowledgeable tell me how to do this?

Need help converting "InstalledOn" date for all Win32_QuickFixEngineering entries
Hello, all. I'm new to Powershell scripting, but have used VBScript for years. I've found that there is no way in VBScript to do the following and am hoping someone can help with a PowerShell script for the following: I need to be able to document all of the HotFixIDs, their description, and the date that the HotFixes were installed. I want this list to be a CSV list available in the root directory of the computers that need this information. All of the computers that I'm going to use this on are 64-bit computers and are running Windows Server 2008 and Vista. I found ...

Re-enabled AD account can't open it's mailbox
Hi, we just disable the wrong users AD account, so we renabled it and they now cannot access their mailbox: They error on the Exchange 2003 server is: Disabled user /o=Company name/ou=New York/cn=Recipients/cn=Joe.Bloggs does not have a master account SID. Please use Active Directory MMC to set an active account as this user's master account. Try this article http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=278966 Nebojsa Seslija "SW" <SW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A43EEC0E-D62D-4213-9BC4-503EAA12E40A@microsoft.com... > Hi, we just disable the wrong u...

Group Schedule Free/Busy issue
We are running Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2007. I have a group policy that sets user's Outlook to publish 6 months of Free/Busy info. If you use Group Schedules to view other user's calendars, you can not see the Free/Busy info. If you open their individual calendar then you can see everything. Exchange cached mode is not turned on. Any insight? ...

Domino connector
My corporate is using Domino Server rel 5.0.10 and Lotus Notes clients that are used is rel 5.0.8 to 5.0.10. However, I prefer to use Outlook for email communications, therefore in order to able to communicate with the domino server, I installed domino connector. But then I experienced problem when receiving emails with attachment from my certain colleagues (not everybody). I can't open the attachment and the error message that I received is "the attachment can't be downloaded from server. Make sure your computer is connected to the server and your domino server is running...

How can I load data from existing accounting systems?
My client has an existing huge working database (Quickbooks Pro 2003) that he wants to import into RMS. Is this possible, or do we need to load all existing data with manual data entry? Nope just set up intergration and under utitilys import any data you need. I did a lumber yard that way and it works great. "Andrea Pope" <Andrea Pope@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:025C2302-0AB0-4530-B201-1F01553F5E58@microsoft.com... > My client has an existing huge working database (Quickbooks Pro 2003) that > he > wants to import into RMS. Is this possible...

can't restore 2003 into 2002 Money?
Wow, what a hassle with no results from Compaq nor Microsoft/Gates conspiracy. Is it NOT possible to transfer simple money files between my new notebook w/ Money 2003 to my PC that has Money 2002? Give us a break Bill! There is very little if any software that is backwards compatible. How on earth do you imagine that at the time M2002 was coded they could predict what changes might be made to the file format in M2003. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsof...

Changed user in AD, but can't change in CRM 3
Hello, I've got CRM 3 on SBS 2003, I just had a one person leave and a replacement come in. So I have renamed the account in AD, and thats working fine. But I cant change/delete the original account in CRM. I cant add the new persons account. When I try to add the new person, CRM seems to look in AD and says the account is already in use. Possibly a problem with the SID ? Anyone found a way around this, or come across it before? And I disabled the original account, and still could not add the new person. The following post discusses the situation... http://www.microsoft.com/Bus...

Video Converter for ipad
&nbsp;How to Convert 2010 World Cup FIFA Camera Videos to ipad video format?The South Africa World Cup FIFA began from June 11, 2010. ~~~~(&gt;_&lt;)~~~~ If you want to review the favourite games on your ipad, you can check this out--Gskstudio iPad Video Converter. It's really helpful. O(?_?)O~&nbsp;---You can use Gkstudio iPad Video Converter to convert any format of the video (even high definition video) into iPad video format.---You can use Gkstudio iPad Video Converter to extract iPad audio from video files and convert audio formats to iPad audio as it?s well establishe...

what should be my pop3 and SMTP when setting up new account
what should be my pop3 and SMTP when setting up new account Ask your ISP. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Rogan asked: | what should be my pop3 and SMTP when setting up new account On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 21:44:09 -0700, "Rogan" <Rogan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >what should be my pop3 and SMTP when setting up new account We have no way of knowing what that info is for your account....

Creating a new form everytime a contact is made
I have created a database in Access 2003 to keep track of all of the data needed for our hospital based bariatric program. The forms created work well. However now my problem arises that originally there was one contact about a month after surgery and the information filled in. Now the staff would like to show multiple contacts for that same patient using the same questions but on differant days or months. What I am trying to avoid is creating a giant form with the same fields listed six times because they might contact the patient once a month for six months or possibly daily ...

Double click to open form and create new record
Hi team, Have scoured all of the posts and tried several different things for days but just can't seem to nut this one out. I have a form (FrmSeedBankStockAvailable) in datasheet view that lists seed lots by BatchID. I want to be able to double click on the record selector for a particular batch and have a form (DialogSeedBankWithdrawal) open so that I can make a new withdrawal entry, with the BatchID already entered from the selected record. I know that to do this I need to use the forms' DblClick property. I have been using the following code (and tried variations of from...

Outlook 2003: Can you arrange mail by Company
I need to determine all mail sent from a company (different users within the company). Any ideas how I could split the sender address username@company.com into two part/fields ? Thanks Uri ...

Can I highlight a cell and link it to another workbook?
I need to highlight one cell and link it to another cell in a different workbook where I want to enter a text definition of the first cell. I don't think linking works because that just gives me the same information in a different cell. I want to be able to click on a cell in one worksheet and be able to "flip" to its definition in another worksheet. Thanks! -- Jenn Create a hyperlink... Click the cell you want to link so it is the active cell. Go to the Insert menu and choose 'hyperlink' In the hyperlink window select the 'Place in this Document' button...

How do I add new symbols/pix to my bullet list?
Hello everyone! I am new to OneNote & I LOVE it... I am gradually learning all the features as I continue to use it for school + personal stuff. I cannot figure out how to add new bullets (symbols/pix/etc.) to my bullet list in onenote ~ it is driving me crazy! I want to have a completely new bullet on my bullet library list. Is there any way I can get one off of microsoft word or somewhere to permanently add to my bullet library on OneNote??? Please help! Or let me know if im even making sense.. I don't think it can be done. Only the default ones are available. Of cou...

How can I refer to an entire column?
This is probably a really simple thing to do, but I can't figure it out and can't find it in the help anywhere. I have a worksheet that has rows of data. I periodically enter more rows as time goes on. I'd like to be able to write a formula that summarizes data from a certain column. The formula is easy to figure out, but I can't figure out how to refer to the entire column, and not just a range of cells in the column. For instance, I can say "=SUM(B3:B10)", but when I add data to row 11, my formula will need to be updated. I could just pick a really high numb...

How can client window know its parent window become deactive
I am writing a custom ctrl, it will be laid on a dialog or formview. When the dialog or formview, I mean the ctrl's parent window or container, become deactive because such causes as Alt + Tab or Ctrl + Esc, the ctrl beed do somethig to respond to this event In my opinion, it is not a good way to ask the user(the program that use my ctrl) to inform me explicitly such as calling one of my function or sending me message because it is not transparent to user. It seems that there should be a mechanism that allows client window know its parent window become active or deactive Thank you! WM_A...

Resize a group of selected items together
My scenerio is as follows: I have inserted four objects which in this case are maps to make one big map and then have drawn arrows, call outs and lines on the map. After selecting all objects to make a group, I try to resize the map as a whole and the four maps end up separating and not reducing as a whole picture. Is there a way to reduce a group of objects so that they will all reduce together? After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Laurel <Laurel@raleymiller.com>... > Is there a way to > reduce a group of objects so that they will ...

Why can't I format background for web page?
when I try to format a background for a web page it isn't working. Help! 1) How are you trying to format a background? 2) Define "isn't working". 3) Version of FrontPage. Not enough info. -- Tom [Pepper] Willett Microsoft MVP - FrontPage Since 1997 --------------------------- "village rose" <village rose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:020E1997-4A88-4012-9960-C79CCED3B16F@microsoft.com... : when I try to format a background for a web page it isn't working. Help! ...

Can't Download Updates
Hi Guys, I cannot download the windows updates for vista 64-bit. I get to the part where it's starting to download, and then the blue bar just circles and circles and then eventually hangs my whole computer up. Never had this problem before, can connect to the internet, updated last on 3/6. My computer started acting very strange the last few days, won't shut down regularly, keeps hanging when I try so I need to hard power off. Programs are running slow, especially control panel type stuff. I've searched it for Viruses (using AVG) and spyware/malware using W...

New Document Page
Somehow I saved text on my "NEW" document page. When I open a new page, it has text on it. Tried clearing and saving but it wants to save a new document, not the blank page. Anyone know how to get back to a new blank document page? Thanks, CT See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/BlankDocNotBlank.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "CT" <CT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D640D22B-FC36-43B8-9D46-CC07AF564CA9@microsoft.com... > Somehow I saved text on...

AOL e-mails I can't send to any!
Help, I keep getting e-mails to AOL regetted saying its a problem with my e-mail software. Does anyone have any advise on this? Thanks in advance Andrew ...

How do I transfer the calendar info to outlook on a new computer
I am trying to put my calendar from my old computer Outlook 2007 and put in on to my new computer which also has outlook 2007, Does anyone know how to do this? The best and only reliable way to transfer Outlook data is to copy the Outlook data file and open that file in the installation to which you want to transfer the data. Once you do, you simply copy the information from the Calendar Folder from one file to the other. You'll need to use a list view of the Calendar so that you can select all the appointments then copy them to the other Calendar Folder. "By Category&...

Convert Access 2003 Back To Access 97 Problem
When I use the Access 2003 utility to convert my database back to Access 97, all the table links (ODBC to SQL Server) turn into local Access tables. Has anyone run into this problem and what can be done about it, if anything? Delete the tables and create new links. The work of minutes: file, import, as links. The wizard is too dumb to recognise ODBC links. It assumes all links are to Jet 4 tables, which won't be recognised by A97. (david) "MikeW" <mwhitson@msn.com> wrote in message news:1133954804.989951.93560@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > When I use the Acces...

How can I publish Photos in the e-mail newsletter
I don't see my images on the newsletter when I send them. I can see all the information but no photos. What's wrong??? thanks ...

How can I Import Eudora Massages?
How can I Import Eudora Massages? "Piper" <Piper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DB4863E8-AFC8-4A7A-8CE8-D2F0D6042CCB@microsoft.com... > How can I Import Eudora Massages? Um, File>Import and Export>Import from another program or file is the usual way. Some versions of Outlook even include Eudora in the list of choices. If that choice isn't there in your unspecified version of Outlook, then export from Eudora in one of the formats that is available. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] see http://www.slipstick.com/config/convmsg.htm -- Dian...