117769 files with .onetoc2 extension to delete !

I have accidentally create an astronomical number of files while using
Microsoft Office OneNote for the first time ... and it was the last
time
All those files have the same name "OneNote Table Of Contents.onetoc2"
and they are located in the directory D:\My Documents\My
Music\iTunes\iTunes Music... and all the sub folders. How should I
delete all those files? Is there a command to do it via ms dos ?

Thanks in advance

--
mistert
0

> I have accidentally create an astronomical number of files while using
> Microsoft Office OneNote for the first time

Myomy ...I have no idea on what you might have done wrong. Nut it must
have been something seriously wring.
I've been using ON since 2006 and never had any problem like multiplying
"table of content" (onetoc2)-files. And I've been active in this NG for
the same time and never heard of a crazy thing like that.

> ... and it was the last time

This would be a very bad decision, believe me.

> All those files have the same name "OneNote Table Of Contents.onetoc2"
> and they are located in the directory D:\My Documents\My
> Music\iTunes\iTunes Music... and all the sub folders. How should I
> delete all those files? Is there a command to do it via ms dos ?

Just mark the files in the Explorer and delete them.
As an alternative you could open a "command-line prompt" (cmd), navigate
to the directory with the criminal files ad use DEL *.* to get rid of
them.

Rainald
P.S. It would be nice if you could let us know what you had been doing

0
Rainald
12/7/2009 9:27:23 PM
I'm guessing that the OP somehow opened up his/her iTunes music library in
OneNote (maybe via the right-click "Open as Notebook in OneNote" command?)
This will indeed create that TOC file in each directory.

Using either a DOS window or the Search Companion window in Explorer
(depends on the version of Windows installed as well as if WDS is
installed) you should be able to delete *.onetoc2 files.  Be sure to only
delete those files and not everything as RT suggested - you don't want to
lose your iTunes music!

"Rainald Taesler" <taesler@gmx.de> wrote in

>> I have accidentally create an astronomical number of files while using
>> Microsoft Office OneNote for the first time
>
> Myomy ...I have no idea on what you might have done wrong. Nut it must
> have been something seriously wring.
> I've been using ON since 2006 and never had any problem like multiplying
> "table of content" (onetoc2)-files. And I've been active in this NG for
> the same time and never heard of a crazy thing like that.
>
>> ... and it was the last time
>
> This would be a very bad decision, believe me.
>
>> All those files have the same name "OneNote Table Of Contents.onetoc2"
>> and they are located in the directory D:\My Documents\My
>> Music\iTunes\iTunes Music... and all the sub folders. How should I
>> delete all those files? Is there a command to do it via ms dos ?
>
> Just mark the files in the Explorer and delete them.
> As an alternative you could open a "command-line prompt" (cmd), navigate
> to the directory with the criminal files ad use DEL *.* to get rid of
> them.
>
> Rainald
> P.S. It would be nice if you could let us know what you had been doing

0
Erik
12/10/2009 12:11:12 AM
Erik Sojka wrote:
> I'm guessing that the OP somehow opened up his/her iTunes music
> library in OneNote (maybe via the right-click "Open as Notebook in
> OneNote" command?) This will indeed create that TOC file in each
> directory.

Most interesting idea!
But how would this work and why?

I tested things on my machine (with all types if iTunes stuff.
I was unable to reproduce the scenario.
a) In the right-mouse context-menu I do not have the option "Open as
Notebook  ..." for any folder nor file;
b) unfolding "Open with" option only lists ON if it's a ".one" file;
c) when navigating from the "Open with .." dialog to the ONENOTE.exe
always brings up the error message that a file not produced with ON can
not be opened.

What am I missing??

> Using either a DOS window or the Search Companion window in Explorer
> (depends on the version of Windows installed as well as if WDS is
> installed) you should be able to delete *.onetoc2 files.  Be sure to
> only delete those files and not everything as RT suggested - you
> don't want to lose your iTunes music!

Thanks for correcting me!
I had it thought these files were all in one directory (overlooked that
the OP had said "...and all the sub folders"). And in My Documents\My
Music\iTunes\iTunes Music there is only file (a playlist).
Anyway, I should gave been a bit more careful.

Rainald

> "Rainald Taesler" <taesler@gmx.de> wrote in
>
>>> I have accidentally create an astronomical number of files while
>>> using Microsoft Office OneNote for the first time
>>
>> Myomy ...I have no idea on what you might have done wrong. Nut it
>> must have been something seriously wring.
>> I've been using ON since 2006 and never had any problem like
>> multiplying "table of content" (onetoc2)-files. And I've been active
>> in this NG for the same time and never heard of a crazy thing like
>> that.
>>
>>> ... and it was the last time
>>
>> This would be a very bad decision, believe me.
>>
>>> All those files have the same name "OneNote Table Of
>>> Contents.onetoc2" and they are located in the directory D:\My
>>> Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music... and all the sub folders.
>>> How should I delete all those files? Is there a command to do it
>>> via ms dos ?
>>
>> Just mark the files in the Explorer and delete them.
>> As an alternative you could open a "command-line prompt" (cmd),
>> navigate to the directory with the criminal files ad use DEL *.* to
>> get rid of them.
>>
>> Rainald
>> P.S. It would be nice if you could let us know what you had been
>> doing

0
Rainald

help with log file
Got a database in SQL2005 that is basically a download of a daily flat text files and creating tables from them. The log.ldf file is frikkin huge. It's over 146GB and I don't need this, I have storage issues. How do I shorten down this file and keep it small forever? Hi Rocketman Have you read about managing the transaction log in the Books Online? How big is your database? What recovery model are you in? What kinds of backups are you doing, and how frequently? If you are not in SIMPLE recovery, and you don't back up your log, it will continue to grow. Even...

Folders disappearing after compacting file cabinet
Twice, now, I've lost a good chunk of e-mail I've saved in different folders because I've compacted my file cabinet. Anything with a file folder named with E or beyond gets dumped. A through D only remains. Any ideas as to what's going on? Thanks! Karen C. Did you compact or run ScanPST.EXE? I've never heard of a compact deleting valid data unless, of course, the file was damaged before running the compact. I hate to ask but do you have a backup of your PST from before this happened? "Karen C." <kcunningham @ iglou.com> wrote in message news:...

Outlook delegate-mailbox deletion problem
This sounds like an easy one however, haven't found resolution yet. Here's scenario... User B reported to User A and added A to his delegation for being copied on all meeting request replies (done from Outlook 2000). All was well until User A left the company and mailbox was subsequently archived and deleted. Ever since the mailbox deletion, all attendees accepting a meeting request from User B receive an NDR referencing inability to deliver reply to User A's mailbox. The typical answer would be to open User B's Outlook app, goto delegates and remove User A.. The problem is...

MS Excel file extension changed through e-mail
MS Excel .xlsx files sent as attachments are received without the x, as a .xls instead. The same is true for MS Word .docx changed to .doc Answered in the Word group. Please don't post the same question in multiple groups. It not only causes responders to waste their time replying to questions that have already been answered but it also makes it more difficult for you to follow up on the replies. If it truly is an issue that involves more than one app either post to the Office group rather than the individual groups or use a newsreader rather than the web interface & learn to ...

Dump file corrupt
************************************************** ************************ THIS DUMP FILE IS PARTIALLY CORRUPT. KdDebuggerDataBlock is not present or unreadable. ************************************************** ************************ Unable to read PsLoadedModuleList ************************************************** ************************ THIS DUMP FILE IS PARTIALLY CORRUPT. KdDebuggerDataBlock is not present or unreadable. ************************************************** ************************ KdDebuggerData.KernBase < SystemRangeStart Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 ...

Network File lock not detected
We have a workbook that about a dozen people get in and out of all day. I have a problem with one user's excel not always locking the file, or it could be a problem with other users not detecting the file is in use and displaying the in use message, do you want to open a read only or wait. Is there anything I can do in execel to fix that or is it a network issue. Running XP pro, office xp pro, and 2k server. From my experience, it is a network issue. They need to unlock the file because Excel cannot. Fixed it, Windows didn't have sp1 on it. For some reason it fixed the pr...

How to update contacts in WLM via csv file?
I have nearly 2,000 email addresses in my contacts list. I managed to get WLM to list them, although I do notice some are missing. Now, I want to update them with new/revised contacts through a new cvs file, which I exported from OE. However, the contacts import program just hangs and doesn't take. Do I need to delete the existing list first? If so, how do I do that? I am using WLM v.2009 Build 14.0.8 on Windows 7 Are you logging in to Live services? It will say your profile name under the close X. -- Ron Sommer "Bumper21248" wrote in message news...

pst file might be corrupted
Hi all. I am not able to view my pst file at all via my outlook 2000. I tried to recover it via scanpst but scanpst stopped halfway through the process and said that an error occured without specifying which error. Is there any other way to recover this pst file? Thks in advance. How big is the PST file? "inenewbl" <inenewbl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6FB884E0-7C9F-4064-936F-5065E257BB5B@microsoft.com... > Hi all. I am not able to view my pst file at all via my outlook 2000. I > tried > to recover it via scanpst but scanpst stopped halfway ...

VBA to call file based on date
Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me with a VBA routine to check for the presence of a specific file. The file is saved on a dialy basis in the format "userfile_run_YYYYMMDD.xls" i am seeking help with a vb code that will check if today or any specified days report is generated. i guess excel can use the date format to read the specified location for the file. Thank you in advance for your help. .....Coming from Where I'm from. Dim sFile As String sFile = Dir("C:myPath\userfile_run_" & Format(Date,"yyyymmdd") & ".xls") If s...

Deleted Accounts in AD
Hello! I am trying to reduce store database sizes by emptying mailboxes of accounts deleted in Active Directory. I tried creating a profile in Outlook but cannot resolve the account name. Is there a way to do this without recreating the account and reconnecting to the mailbox? I would reduce the store sizes by approx. 2 GB. Thank you. -- JoeCL LACO-CAO if you have no need for the data in the mailboxes, just purge them... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "JoeCL" <JoeCL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1BA4EE14-82E1-42E7-96F3-F79BA50B5793@microsoft.com... >...

"The image file ___ is valid but ...."
"The image file ________ is valid but is for a machine type other than the current machine." What does this message dialog mean on Win XP x64? It means that the program you're trying to run is 16-bit. There is NO 16-bit support in any 64-bit version of Windows. You'll need to run the application in a virtual machine running some earlier version of Windows. -- Charlie. http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel <johnsuth@nospam.com.au> wrote in message news:c1.2c.3KklK9$0TP@PC1.BIGPOND.COM... > > "The image file ________ is valid but is...

print mass Powerpoint certificates from Excel file
I get Excel lists of students that require training certificates. I have a PowerPoint certificate. Is it possible to do something simular to a mail merge? In article <BFBA41AC-26D1-4B30-8C54-425C2E8A50F0@microsoft.com>, Go to Girl wrote: > I get Excel lists of students that require training certificates. I have a > PowerPoint certificate. Is it possible to do something simular to a mail > merge? Not out of the box, but we have a commercial PowerPoint add-in that does exactly this. You can try out a fully functional demo to see if it meets your needs. Mo...

Can Import Email Data Filed from Office XP to Office 2003
My HD failed but I had a backup of my Office XP Pro personal file folder with a lot of emails I needed. The file is about 128MB in size. I put a new HD in and installed Office 2003 Pro. When I go to open the old file Outlook 2003 says that the file "is not a personal folders file". (It was backed up to a CD ROM prior to the crash so the source file should be good.) I really don't want to uninstall Office 2003 and put back Office XP. Any idea why 2003 won't open the file and how to work around that? Many thanks in advance to anyone who knows the solution. Alan. The only pro...

Emails moved from Sent Items to subfolder moving to Deleted Items instead
We have a problem where a couple of users are moving emails from their Sent Items to folders that are subfolders of their Inbox. However, random emails are moving to the Deleted Items instead. The users have no rules set up, and there is no limit on mailbox size for users. I know it's easy to dismiss them as having made a mistake, but one of the users is pretty competent and has in fact had this problem in the past. Has anyone experienced this problem? ...

CRM Bulk Delete of Activities
We are new to CRM, and in the "testing" phase of implementation. Our marketing group has used smart lists and quick campaign which results in 30,000 open activies (emails). We can respond/delete/acknowledge them 250 at a time via the activities view. Clearly waiting for screen refreshes 120 times would waste a lot of time. Is there a way to "respond" to activies at a campaign level or in bulk? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0108_01C83679.362A3E60 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quot...

How to open saved .DBX files?
I saved a folder of e-mails to CD from Outlook Express shortly before my last computer died. I desperately need to open the folder (saved as a .dbx file) by tomorrow, to get my husband (in Portugal watching the footie) the details of his hotel!!I am now running Xp and have both outlook and outlook express(office 2003) I tried open with, but selecting OE takes you into the OE files rather than selecting it as a prog.If I try open with outlook, it just appears as a folder attachment in an e-mail Can anybody help me open this wretched thing??? Ask in an Outlook Express forum. This is an...

Size mismatch between stm/edb files and mailboxes
I am puzzled! Am running out of diskspace on our exchange drive and badly need to reduce the size of the exchange database. The total size of the priv1.edb and stm files is approx 6Gb. If I add up the total size of all the mailboxes as shown in ESM it comes to approx 1.5 Gb. Running eseutil /ms and calculating the free space for both files gives me approx 1.2Gb, which is what I believe I will regain by defragging the store. So where is my remaining 3.3Gb gone!!!! The online maintanence is completing fine each night. Deleted item retention is set to 0, and we haven't deleted any ...

Sync Money Files
I have a laptop and desktop, both running Money 07. I have been away from home for three months and have been keeping my expenses in Money on my laptop. My wife has been keeping our records on the desktop. My problem is how to combine the two files so that I have one set of money files. When I cease travelling, the notebook will not be used for Money work; but the desktop will. So I need to combine the two files. Are there any solutions? Thanks, John Reid There is no easy way to do this. There aren't even many hard ones. Have you already done this or are you only pondering a re...

"Get-ClusterResource" cmdlet throws "not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file" error.
Hi, I am trying to use "Get-ClusterResource" cmdlet to fetch "File Share Witness" property of CCR cluster. But when I run this command no "Exchange Management Shell" I am getting "The term 'Get- ClusterResource' is not recognized as a cmdlet, function, operable program, or script file. Verify the term and try again." error. Any idea why I am getting this error? Do I need to add any "PSSnapin" via Add-PSSnapin cmdlet ? If so which one it is? Basically I am not able to run any of the cluster related GET cmdlets on Exchange Managem...

Default Workgroup Information File
What's the difference between the two following choices using Security Wizard? "I want to make this my default workgroup information file." & "I want to create a shortcut to open my security-enhanced database." Does one of these apply this security to all databases? I noticed that it applies the security to my backup database that I keep on my desktop. The security is originally applied to a database that I keep in a shared network file. -- julostarr "julostarr" wrote: > What's the difference between the two following choices using Secu...

How to tell if folder item is file or folder?
Hi all. Now I am processing data in folders. I get a listing of folder contents and have to test to determine whether item is folder or file. I have this routine: strPath is previously set with valid data, strType is previously defined. Dim objDI As New System.IO.DirectoryInfo(strPath) For Each objFSI As System.IO.FileSystemInfo In objDI.GetFileSystemInfos() If objFSI.Attributes() And IO.FileAttributes.Directory Then strType = "Folder" Else strType = "File" End If Next My question is whether this is the...

Data vanished, Large file seems empty
I opened Outlook this AM and it was as if I had never used it. My created folders were gone, only the default folders were there and they all were empty. I tried to open the proper .pst file and found one with 91,360kb, but whether I try to open it through Outlook/File/Open or simply double-click the file from Windows Explorer I get the same results: ghost-town Outlook, empty folders, etc., like I'd never been there before. Try running the Inbox Repair Tool against your .PST file to see if it finds any errors. Search your drive for a file called scanpst.exe and run it. -- Jocel...

selectively deleting cells
I would like to selectively delete alternate rows on an excel worksheet containing a long list of data. i.e. deleting rows/cells A3,A5,A7,A9,A11....A30573 etc. How do i do this quickly without having to use CTRL + select for each specific cell/row? Del, It isn't clear what you mean by "selectively" delete the rows. If you just want to delete every other row, use code like Sub DeleteEveryOtherRow() Dim RowNdx As Long Application.ScreenUpdating = False For RowNdx = 30573 To 3 Step -2 Rows(RowNdx).Delete Next RowNdx Application.ScreenUpdating = True E...

Convert .MSG file to .EML file
Is there an easy way to convert a .MSG file (outlook2000) to .EML file (outlook express 6)? ...

Deleting email from server
Does anyone know if Outlook 2002 has a setting to automatically delete email from the server after downloading? To what type of server are you connecting? POP3? IMAP? HTTP? Exchange? -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Please post your Outlook version! "Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1781501c418f3$1b56cf10$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know if Outlook 2002 has a setting to > automatically delete email from the server after > down...