Office 2007 will not install on 1 particular Windows 7 machine

I have just performed a custom install of Windows 7 Pro on a computer that
has been running Windows Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 successfully for
several years.  I had some trouble geting a stable installation of Win 7 but
after an expensive visit to the Geek Squad, which determined that a
particular Windows update was causing the system to crash, I now have a
stable installation.  (They disabled that particular update, too.)  The
problem is that I am unable to install any of my fully-licensed copies of
Office 2007 on this machine, even though I have it running happily on two
other machines using WIndows 7.  When I try to install it, I get through to
the license key dialogue and enter the proper key.  The installation appears
to begin in that the progress bar progresses a tiny amount but even after an
hour or more, nothing is installed.  I have tried installing it in safe mode
and get a dialogue, the gist of which is that "there's a problem."  I have
tried running the executable file as admin.  I've checked to see whether or
not there has been a partial installation that needs to be removed buut no
Office products are showing up.  I found one promising article about running
a series of command prompts to remove the "rgstrtn.lck" file but none of the
commands was recognized.  I am really stuck and desperately need some help!
Many thanks!!
--
David Kirk

What exactly do you mean by Custom Install of Win7?
What version of Office 2007 is involved?

"David Kirk" <DavidKirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just performed a custom install of Windows 7 Pro on a computer that
> has been running Windows Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 successfully for
> several years.  I had some trouble geting a stable installation of Win 7
> but
> after an expensive visit to the Geek Squad, which determined that a
> particular Windows update was causing the system to crash, I now have a
> stable installation.  (They disabled that particular update, too.)  The
> problem is that I am unable to install any of my fully-licensed copies of
> Office 2007 on this machine, even though I have it running happily on two
> other machines using WIndows 7.  When I try to install it, I get through
> the license key dialogue and enter the proper key.  The installation
> appears
> to begin in that the progress bar progresses a tiny amount but even after
> an
> hour or more, nothing is installed.  I have tried installing it in safe
> mode
> and get a dialogue, the gist of which is that "there's a problem."  I have
> tried running the executable file as admin.  I've checked to see whether
> or
> not there has been a partial installation that needs to be removed buut no
> Office products are showing up.  I found one promising article about
> running
> a series of command prompts to remove the "rgstrtn.lck" file but none of
> the
> commands was recognized.  I am really stuck and desperately need some
> help!
> Many thanks!!
> --
> David Kirk

0
DL
3/1/2010 2:34:55 PM

"David Kirk" <DavidKirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have just performed a custom install of Windows 7 Pro on a computer that
> has been running Windows Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 successfully for
> several years.  I had some trouble geting a stable installation of Win 7
> but
> after an expensive visit to the Geek Squad, which determined that a
> particular Windows update was causing the system to crash, I now have a
> stable installation.  (They disabled that particular update, too.)  The
> problem is that I am unable to install any of my fully-licensed copies of
> Office 2007 on this machine, even though I have it running happily on two
> other machines using WIndows 7.  When I try to install it, I get through
> the license key dialogue and enter the proper key.  The installation
> appears
> to begin in that the progress bar progresses a tiny amount but even after
> an
> hour or more, nothing is installed.  I have tried installing it in safe
> mode
> and get a dialogue, the gist of which is that "there's a problem."  I have
> tried running the executable file as admin.  I've checked to see whether
> or
> not there has been a partial installation that needs to be removed buut no
> Office products are showing up.  I found one promising article about
> running
> a series of command prompts to remove the "rgstrtn.lck" file but none of
> the
> commands was recognized.  I am really stuck and desperately need some
> help!
> Many thanks!!
> --
> David Kirk

I hope you are attempting to install Office 2007 Home and Student or a
volume licensed version of Office as those are the only two versions that
allow installation on more than two concurrent machines.  If this is one of
the versions you are installing then what exactly is the error messages you
are receiving not the "gist" of the message.  Exact wording, including error
codes, is necessary.

0
LVTravel
3/1/2010 2:58:07 PM
A "custom install" of WIndows 7 is an option that I believe was introduced
with Windows 7.  When installing, there are two options: upgrade and custom
install.  opgrade upgrades the OS and leaves all programs and files intact;
custom install is the equivalent of a clean install that wipes out all the
other programs and files.

The version of Windows 7 is Pro;  the Office version is 2007 Enterprise and
it is an academic license.  I will try to do the install again in safe mode
and capture the exact erorr message.  When trying to install in normal mode,
I can tell you that the installation basically hangs and that the only way I
can stop it is to shut down the system manually (pushing the power button) as
all other mouse control is gove when the installation of Office hangs.
--
David Kirk

> [...]
>> > after
>> > an
>> > hour or more, nothing is installed.  I have tried installing it in safe
>> > mode
>> > and get a dialogue, the gist of which is that "there's a problem."  I
>> > have
>> > tried running the executable file as admin.  I've checked to see
>> > whether
>> > or
>> > not there has been a partial installation that needs to be removed buut
>> > no
>> > Office products are showing up.  I found one promising article about
>> > running
>> > a series of command prompts to remove the "rgstrtn.lck" file but none
>> > of
>> > the
>> > commands was recognized.  I am really stuck and desperately need some

David, I would ensure that:

1st, you have hardware and drivers that support Win 7.  If you haven't
please run the Win 7 Upgrade Advisor,
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

2nd. I would never take a computer to "Geek Squad" as the personnel there
may be totally unreliable for computer repairs and advice (probably more so
than on here.)  As this was a fresh install of Win 7, I would recommend
reinstalling from scratch again, ensuring all updates to the OS are
completed prior to installing Office 2007 Enterprise.  If you still
experience issues you need to contact Microsoft at the Enterprise free
assistance number provided when you obtained the Office product you have.

0
LVTravel
3/1/2010 4:26:15 PM
In edition to LVTravel's comments do NOT install any driver updates from MS
Update

> [...]
>> > after
>> > an
>> > hour or more, nothing is installed.  I have tried installing it in safe
>> > mode
>> > and get a dialogue, the gist of which is that "there's a problem."  I
>> > have
>> > tried running the executable file as admin.  I've checked to see
>> > whether
>> > or
>> > not there has been a partial installation that needs to be removed buut
>> > no
>> > Office products are showing up.  I found one promising article about
>> > running
>> > a series of command prompts to remove the "rgstrtn.lck" file but none
>> > of
>> > the
>> > commands was recognized.  I am really stuck and desperately need some

0
DL
3/1/2010 4:55:45 PM

"DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
> In edition to LVTravel's comments do NOT install any driver updates from
> MS Update

***SNIP***

Darn, I always forget to give that very important piece of information...
Thanks.

Always download drivers from the computer manufacturer's or the individual
component (video, network, sound, etc.) manufacturer's web site for your
operating system.

0
LVTravel
3/1/2010 7:27:52 PM
I spent 3.5 hours on the phone today with MS tech support, first on the OS
side then on the Office side.  Everyone seems to have concluded that the OS
installation is fine.  We've spent hours trying every trick in the book to
get Office to install and it flat out refuses to do so.  The matter has been
escalated to a "research team" and I am to receive a call tomorrow morning to
resolve the problem.  I appreciate the driver advice and will certainly take
it if these folks conclude I need to reinstall the OS.  This, my friends, is
a nightmare.
--
David Kirk

> [...]
>> > running
>> > a series of command prompts to remove the "rgstrtn.lck" file but none
>> > of
>> > the
>> > commands was recognized.  I am really stuck and desperately need some
>> > help!
>> > Many thanks!!
>> > --
>> > David Kirk
>>
>> I hope you are attempting to install Office 2007 Home and Student or a
>> volume licensed version of Office as those are the only two versions that
>> allow installation on more than two concurrent machines.  If this is one
>> of
>> the versions you are installing then what exactly is the error messages
>> you
>> are receiving not the "gist" of the message.  Exact wording, including

At least you have MS working on it.  Hope it all comes out OK even though
you have now entered the ''''twilight zone''''   (I hate computers, I love
computers, I hate computers, I love computers.......

0
LVTravel

Re: Windows Mail has changed and I don't like it, how can I get it bac
"http://ww.google.nl/" <dirkapon58@exemple.com> schreef in bericht news:... > > "Archie" <Archie@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht > news:99187F16-AA61-4C86-8DC6-9E3BEAAE4A26@microsoft.com... >> My windows page has changed. I used to be able to double click on the >> sender >> and get the messaget displayed in the entire window. What happens is I >> have >> to scroll down on the sidebar to see the entire message. I want my mail >> to >> look as it originally did. >> > ...

Acc 2007: Me.Undo Not Working
I have form with the following command button: Private Sub cmdCancel_Click() Me.Undo End Sub If I put a break point on this procedure & click the button in on the form, it shows the undo statement being executed, however, the form is still dirty. Any ideas what could be causing this? It has always worked on other forms in the past. Thanks in advance. bh On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 08:16:49 -0500, "bh" <NoSpam@ReplyToGroup.com> wrote: Perhaps you have some other code that makes it dirty again? For example in Form_Current code like Me.SomeControl = SomeValue Put a br...

email as pdf print area excel 2007
I've found a flaw in excel 2007. when I filter a column in excel; I can then set the print area and launch a print preview to see the selected area of data. If I choose to send & email as a pdf instead; the same print area suddenly turns into many pages because the capture ignores my filtered area. Technically speaking; both outputs shoud get you the same data. I cannot replicate this behaviour in 2007 Saveas>PDF gives me only the filtered list. I don't know what to suggest but i don't think it's a bug in Excel. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On F...

W7
Moved from XP Pro to W7 Pro. Installed Office 2003 w/ Outlook. After installation I show 2 new files (Calendar & Tasks) in addition to my Personal Folders file and a second file for an IMAP e-mail account. They are on the top folder level. When I go to delete them I get an Object Not Found message. They don't appear in my profile or in the list of files for the profile. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Office and now I have 4 files (2 Calendar, 2 Tasks). The good news is that other than the "phantom" file everything else is working normally. How do ...

Changing language in office 2007
Hello! I purchased my computer from dell spain and ordered everything in english. I received the computer as ordered but with office in spanish. I have tried to call technical support but all the information they give me is that with the office CD that I received I can change the language to english myself. However they give no information on how. I have tried to change it as per instructions on the microsoft office help section but the menus ar all still in spanish. Can anybody help me explain how I can change the menus in spanish office to english? Is it even possible? To...

Vlookup Problem #7
Hi all, 15: 30 16: 23 15: 35 17: 20 In the VlookUp function, if the table_array index is not unique, as the example above, how can I get the value of "35" ? Thanks in advance. Best Rgds, Rick Lillian to find the largest number in col c that matches 15 (cell b1) in col b, use this array formula which must be entered/edited with ctrl+shift+enter vs just enter. smallest =min =MAX(IF(B3:B9=B1,C3:C9,0)) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Red's" <Red@Redex.com> wrote in message news:42332227$1_2@rain.i-cable.com... > Hi all, >...

Windows Vista Professional Stuck at updating 8 of 12 for > 2hr
Hi, I have a Dell desktop running Vista Professional 32bit (all latest patched before last night's update has been installed) and been stuck at the 'installing update 8 of 12' for over 2 hr now. This machine has a Raid 0 (software raid using Intel's software). Anyone else having any issue? I have already update 3 other notebook running Vista Premium (32bits) and 1 other notebook using Vista Business and none of these have any issue at all. Thanks for any help. Sorry the machine is running Vista Business (32bit) and not Professional. Sorry about any c...

Running both Office 04 and Office 08 #2
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel The Question may of been asked already, but if I want to install Office 08 but keep Office 04. Do I need to buy the complete package again or can I just get the upgrade edition? Cheers, Becky <BeckyA10@officeformac.com> wrote: > The Question may of been asked already, but if I want to install Office > 08 but keep Office 04. Do I need to buy the complete package again or > can I just get the upgrade edition? The upgrade edition should be fine. It simply loioks for a previous install for license validat...

Excel 2003 documents migration to 2007
Hello Excel Mania.... :) I have project to convert a lot of Excel 2003 documents to Excel 2007, including its macro and chart. After I surfed some website which mostly got explanation about changes between thoose version, I hardly find a complete explanation to deal with this problem, I mean the straight bold explanation to convert, not only to analyze the differences. Any advise ?, refference site or application ? Thanks -- Chaos organized believer Hi Eldi If you want to create 2007 files from your xls files and there are a lot of them you can use this http://www.labnol.org/softwa...

Windows update for windows XP (KB967715)
I'm having an issue with this update. Almost on a daily basis my computer tries to update this (KB967715) it seems to go through each time, at least it doesn't tell me it fails, but the next day almost every day it update the same thing. What can I do to get this to stop, or is there something wrong with my computer? Tip: Download/install KB971029 manually: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029 then just "hide" KB967715. -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002 Cmb0312 wrote: > I'm having an issue with this...

Backup Exception C:\windows\security\edb.log and tmp.edb
My network runs Windows Server 2003 Standard (SP2) and we backup using Symantec Backup Exc 12 for Windows Servers. Our backups always run smoothly, until last night - when we got an exception saying unable to open C:\WINDOWS\security\edb.log C:\WINDOWS\security\tmp.edb Any idea what caused this all of a sudden, and how important it is? How do I fix it? Thanks, Melina Baker Superior Fiberglass Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Is SVG Cool? http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/6bb8bd7d-25a1-4f33-8d5e-7120406f3385/is-svg-cool.aspx ...

VBA Borders in Excel 2007
The code below is designed to put medium outline and thin inside borders on each page of a mulitpage excel worksheet. It used the BeforePrint event to do this. It worked in Excel 2003 but in 2007 on a 2 page worksheet when it calls Sub MixedBorders the bottom medium border gets erased on the first page. What do I need to change? Or is this a bug in 2007? Option Explicit Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) FormatBeforePrint End Sub Public Sub FormatBeforePrint() Dim startRow As Long Dim endRow As Long Dim startColumn As Integer Dim endCo...

Which version of Microsoft Office
I've just bought a PC with Windows XP. I need to upgrade Microsoft Office (I had Office '97). Can anyone confirm that to have a version that will run and send/receive emails I'll need Office 2003? Can't get a straight answer from the shop I go to and I don't want to make a mistake. Cheers. Peter Peter Brown wrote: > I've just bought a PC with Windows XP. I need to upgrade Microsoft > Office (I had Office '97). Can anyone confirm that to have a version > that will run and send/receive emails I'll need Office 2003? Can't > get a straight a...

size of large icons in 2007 Ribbon
What is the expected size of the image to be used in the "large" ribbon controls? I searched around but didn't find it in the docs. Thanks! Hi, I believe its, Normal = 16 x 16 Large = 32 x 32 Cheers Andy On 09/02/2010 05:22, E. Alex Davis wrote: > What is the expected size of the image to be used in the "large" ribbon > controls? I searched around but didn't find it in the docs. Thanks! ...

How do i setup e.mail account in office 2003?
just bought ms office 2003 (home edit), it includes outlook 2003. For some reason the programme won't send or recieve. Can anyone give me step by step instructoin on how to set the damn thing up! Steve. did you create a profile with your account information? if so, did you press the send/receive button? if so, do you get any errors? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/new_profile.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/...

Lostl Workbooks in Excel 2007
Using my laptop with Excel 2007, I cant seem to locate workbooks after startup. The main excel screen appears with a blue page but cannot locate the workbooks around the screen( although they show in the task bar). On my PC, I can just locate them way off to the side of the screen. How do I find them and how do I stop this happening? Thks Hi Bards This is a bug in Excel 2007 (no fix for it on this moment) Only certain machines have this problem. Close Excel and try it again Sometimes a reboot will help -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "Bards" &l...

Rename Exchange/Windows 2003 Custom Attribute for the entire organization?
Is there a way to rename the custom attributes (not the values) for all users in an organization? We have the need to make 1 or 2 changes to store information (values) in those fields. Thanks for any information, Dan As far as I know you cannot rename the custom attributes(ie extensionAttribute1) "Dan" <dan@aol.com> wrote in message news:uyV$EFLWEHA.212@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to rename the custom attributes (not the values) for all > users in an organization? We have the need to make 1 or 2 changes to store > information (values) in those field...

Money 2007 from xp to vista
On XP, I had Money 2007 all set up and functioning. I click on update and it went out and got my account information from 4 different financial institutes. Never a problem. I just installed it on Vista. Copied My Money.mny over to Vista the Vista machine. Told Money to open this file and all my accounts and information are there just like on XP. BUT, it does not appear to understand that I have internet access. Updating fails. If I click on Help, I get the right hand pane that is a variation of a 404 web page "Navigation to the webpage was canceled". I have it set to ...

MSMQ and eConnect 7.5
Hi, I am new to MSMQ and eConnect7.5. My problem - Although my messages are going to an MSMQ named econnect_incoming75, the company database is not updated. I intend to update a company database using a SOP transaction XML, but the problem is that the message is lying in the queue indefinitely. Can anyone give me the reason why this is happening? and what can be done to rectify it? Please note that the database connection string in eConnect_Incoming.exe.config and eConnect_outgoing.exe.config is correct. Hi Have you configured eConnect to listen to the MSMQ q? Is the MSMQ services ru...

Macros Windows & Mac OS
Is there any way to get Macros recorded in Word for Windows Word to work with Word for Mac OSX? Noel Bailey Hi Noel- I'm not an expert on the subject, but the concensus of what I've read and learned from experience is that it will vary depending on the Macro. Not the reply you wanted, I'm sure, but there are a number of variables involved, not the least of which is that the respective programs are not identical feature for feature. Also, which Win version of Word to which Mac version will also be a factor. Be sure to check back here, however, because you may get some helpful ...

Installation/Run Problem
Using Pub. 2003 w/XP operating system. The desktop icon will open. However, if I go to a previously made document and double click on it to open or revise, nothing happens. Previously made documents can only be opened by first opening Pub. 2003 and then going to "open existing document." This seems like an unnecessary step. How I can double click on a document and have it open? Thank you. In Windows Explorer, on the Toolbar, folder options, file types, scroll down and see if .pub is listed, if not click new and associate it with Publisher. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http:...

Business Portal 2.0 Install
Greetings, I've installed Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 and am attempting to install GP Business Portal 2.0 and setting it up as a server farm. We are running GP 9.0. Windows SharePoint seems to work fine, I can go to http://servername and see the portal site. However when I try to open businessportal site http://servername/sites/businessportal I get you are not authorized to view this page. I'm using the login of the site admin so I'm not sure what the issue is. The IIS directory security is set for Integrated Windows Authentication and SSL is not required. I'm not ...

windows mail
I cannot receive email. last email I received was 7/16/10. You haven't given us much to go on. Do you get an error message when you try to receive? If so, right-click on your error message, copy, then paste it into a reply here. We can't do much troubleshooting without the complete error message. If no error message, are new messages accumulating in your webmail? What happens when you send an email to yourself? Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) ------------------------------------------------------ "tstaz" wrote in message news:FEC180FB-2C15-4AD9-A6B4-...

'Closing' chart window *and* removing chart using VBA
Hello, When an embedded chart is in its window, clicking the 'X' of the window merely removes the window but does not remove the chart (chart object). Is there a way to remove/delete the chart when clicking on the 'X'? In other words, can an an event of some sort that recognizes the Window becoming invisible, be used delete the chart? Would this sort of this be solved with Windows handles and APIs...? Thanks/Cheers. Marc R. Bertrand I suspect that you can probably do what you want with some amount of event / Win API programming. However, as pointed out in the response t...

2007 outlook deleting
just set up outlook 2007. when i try to delete email it only strikes a line thru it and I noticed that there is no deleted folder in the folder list. How do I send my deleted mail to this folder after I create it? Shawn wrote: > just set up outlook 2007. when i try to delete email it only strikes a line > thru it and I noticed that there is no deleted folder in the folder list. How > do I send my deleted mail to this folder after I create it? The strikethrough of deleted items is normal when using IMAP. It identifies items that are *eligible* for deletion whenever yo...