Dumb question: Easiest way to move an Access database to a laptop running Officce 97

I need to finish modifying a simple Access database on the move.
What's the simplest way to export it to a flash drive so it can be
opened in Office 97 in an old laptop? I have office 2003 installed.
I'm not using any features that weren't present in Access 97.
0
SlickRCBD

"SlickRCBD" <slickrcbdnews@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I need to finish modifying a simple Access database on the move.
> What's the simplest way to export it to a flash drive so it can be
> opened in Office 97 in an old laptop? I have office 2003 installed.
> I'm not using any features that weren't present in Access 97.

Open the file in Access, select Save As and select to save 1.) to the flash
drive and 2.) as an Access 97 file. (It doesn't matter thay you don't use
the Access 03 features, you need to save the file down as an Access 97
file.)

Take the flash drive to the lap top and open the file with Access 97 and
Save As and select a local destination, OR copy the file to the local
destination so that you can open it when you're ready.

0
Jeff
11/9/2009 11:12:19 PM
Not quite. Never save directly to removable media. Copy it over to your
flash drive using Windows Explorer.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "SlickRCBD" <slickrcbdnews@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I need to finish modifying a simple Access database on the move.
>> What's the simplest way to export it to a flash drive so it can be
>> opened in Office 97 in an old laptop? I have office 2003 installed.
>> I'm not using any features that weren't present in Access 97.
>
> Open the file in Access, select Save As and select to save 1.) to the
> flash drive and 2.) as an Access 97 file. (It doesn't matter thay you
> don't use the Access 03 features, you need to save the file down as an
> Access 97 file.)
>
> Take the flash drive to the lap top and open the file with Access 97 and
> Save As and select a local destination, OR copy the file to the local
> destination so that you can open it when you're ready.

0
JoAnn
11/10/2009 11:17:42 PM
NO you can't downgrade an access database to Office 97 because there is
no such facility.  To upgrade and open a 97 database  in office 03 is
simple but not the other way round.  Word, Excel etc can be done but not
ACCESS.

hth

SlickRCBD wrote:

>I need to finish modifying a simple Access database on the move.
>What's the simplest way to export it to a flash drive so it can be
>opened in Office 97 in an old laptop? I have office 2003 installed.
>I'm not using any features that weren't present in Access 97.

0
ANONYMOUS
11/10/2009 11:39:32 PM
Why?

Granted, Saving to removable media makes an entry in the Previous Files log
that will be broken, but the original is also saved locally, so File Open
will still work on that file. There is no harm done by saving to removable
media, but there is some headache if one is inclined to open files from the
previous files list and a listed file is not there.

"JoAnn Paules" <jl_paules@hotnospammail.com> wrote in message
> Not quite. Never save directly to removable media. Copy it over to your
> flash drive using Windows Explorer.
>
> --
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>

> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "SlickRCBD" <slickrcbdnews@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I need to finish modifying a simple Access database on the move.
>>> What's the simplest way to export it to a flash drive so it can be
>>> opened in Office 97 in an old laptop? I have office 2003 installed.
>>> I'm not using any features that weren't present in Access 97.
>>
>> Open the file in Access, select Save As and select to save 1.) to the
>> flash drive and 2.) as an Access 97 file. (It doesn't matter thay you
>> don't use the Access 03 features, you need to save the file down as an
>> Access 97 file.)
>>
>> Take the flash drive to the lap top and open the file with Access 97 and
>> Save As and select a local destination, OR copy the file to the local
>> destination so that you can open it when you're ready.

0
Jeff
11/11/2009 10:14:20 AM
We often read about corrupt files that resulted from being saved directly
from the program. I'm not going to explain it as well as other can but it
involves temporary files and available space on the removeable media. Rather
than risk ending up with a file you can't use, copy it over in Explorer.

--

> Why?
>
> Granted, Saving to removable media makes an entry in the Previous Files
> log that will be broken, but the original is also saved locally, so File
> Open will still work on that file. There is no harm done by saving to
> removable media, but there is some headache if one is inclined to open
> files from the previous files list and a listed file is not there.
>

> "JoAnn Paules" <jl_paules@hotnospammail.com> wrote in message
>> Not quite. Never save directly to removable media. Copy it over to your
>> flash drive using Windows Explorer.
>>
>> --
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>>

>> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "SlickRCBD" <slickrcbdnews@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Open the file in Access, select Save As and select to save 1.) to the
>>> flash drive and 2.) as an Access 97 file. (It doesn't matter thay you
>>> don't use the Access 03 features, you need to save the file down as an
>>> Access 97 file.)
>>>
>>> Take the flash drive to the lap top and open the file with Access 97 and
>>> Save As and select a local destination, OR copy the file to the local
>>> destination so that you can open it when you're ready.

0
JoAnn
11/11/2009 5:50:24 PM
I was not aware. I save to the thumb drive sometimes and have never had
problem. My data set consists of one sample (person, not instance), so I'll
concede the point.