Changing computer

Hi, I'm about to sell my Dell pc on which I recently installed Microsoft Home
& Student 2007.  Do I just un-install it and then re-install it on the new
one?  Is it illegal (or stupid) to leave it on the computer?  And how would I
go about moving my Word files from old to new?  Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks
Sal

If you leave it installed, you must also give them the disks. (And yes, that
would be stupid - sorry.) If you intend to keep the disks and the license
for yourself, you must uninstall it.

Move your files with a USB drive or burn them to a CD. You could even
network the two computers together and move them that way.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Sally S" <SallyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm about to sell my Dell pc on which I recently installed Microsoft
> & Student 2007.  Do I just un-install it and then re-install it on the new
> one?  Is it illegal (or stupid) to leave it on the computer?  And how
> would I
> go about moving my Word files from old to new?  Any advice much
> appreciated.
> Thanks
> Sal

0
JoAnn
1/27/2010 4:36:03 PM
Uninstall it from the old and install it on the new. You need to ensure that
you only have it installed on the legally appropriate number of systems.

(If activation on the interne tdoesn't work, use the telephone method. )

I would get an inexpensive thumb drive / flash drive / usb drive and copy
your files from the old computer onto it, then copy them to the new
computer.

--
Susan Ramlet
--

"Sally S" <SallyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm about to sell my Dell pc on which I recently installed Microsoft
> & Student 2007.  Do I just un-install it and then re-install it on the new
> one?  Is it illegal (or stupid) to leave it on the computer?  And how
> would I
> go about moving my Word files from old to new?  Any advice much
> appreciated.
> Thanks
> Sal

0
Susan
1/28/2010 12:30:00 AM
No you don't have to do anything and it is NOT illegal to leave it on the
machine.

You have to look at it this way:  How can somebody uninstall the application
packages from a system that is broken?  The answer is NO they can't.  So you
don't have to either.

There is no written requirement on Microsoft website requiring you do
uninstall Office packages.

Just give away your machine and you can buy a new one and still use your CD
all over again.  By the way M$ is too busy developing Office 2010 so 2007 is
no longer important to them.

hth

"Sally S" <SallyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm about to sell my Dell pc on which I recently installed Microsoft
> & Student 2007.  Do I just un-install it and then re-install it on the new
> one?  Is it illegal (or stupid) to leave it on the computer?  And how
> would I
> go about moving my Word files from old to new?  Any advice much
> appreciated.
> Thanks
> Sal

0
ANONYMOU
1/28/2010 2:51:21 AM
BULLSHIT

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
> If you leave it installed, you must also give them the disks. (And yes,
> that would be stupid - sorry.) If you intend to keep the disks and the
> license for yourself, you must uninstall it.

BULLSHIT!

> Move your files with a USB drive or burn them to a CD. You could even
> network the two computers together and move them that way.

0
ANONYMOU
1/28/2010 2:53:06 AM
That is a wrong advice. If the OP plans to install it on his new computer then he
cannot leave it on his old one that he plans to sell. He must remove it.If he does
not then either the OP or the person he sold his old system to will lose the
activation on their first try when they do an update from Windows or Microsoft
Update.

--
Peter

"ANONYMOU S" <ANONYMOU_S@EXAMPLE.COM> wrote in message
> No you don't have to do anything and it is NOT illegal to leave it on the machine.
>
> You have to look at it this way:  How can somebody uninstall the application
> packages from a system that is broken?  The answer is NO they can't.  So you don't
> have to either.
>
> There is no written requirement on Microsoft website requiring you do uninstall
> Office packages.
>
> Just give away your machine and you can buy a new one and still use your CD all
> over again.  By the way M$ is too busy developing Office 2010 so 2007 is no longer
> important to them.
>
> hth
>
> "Sally S" <SallyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, I'm about to sell my Dell pc on which I recently installed Microsoft Home
>> & Student 2007.  Do I just un-install it and then re-install it on the new
>> one?  Is it illegal (or stupid) to leave it on the computer?  And how would I
>> go about moving my Word files from old to new?  Any advice much appreciated.
>> Thanks
>> Sal

0
Peter
1/28/2010 1:29:37 PM
I can only hope that the OP takes notice of the fact that some of us are not
afraid/ashamed to sign our names and others are anonymous. Hmmm, whose
advice would you take?

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

> That is a wrong advice. If the OP plans to install it on his new computer
> then he cannot leave it on his old one that he plans to sell. He must
> remove it.If he does not then either the OP or the person he sold his old
> system to will lose the activation on their first try when they do an
> update from Windows or Microsoft Update.
>
> --
> Peter

> "ANONYMOU S" <ANONYMOU_S@EXAMPLE.COM> wrote in message
>> No you don't have to do anything and it is NOT illegal to leave it on the
>> machine.
>>
>> You have to look at it this way:  How can somebody uninstall the
>> application packages from a system that is broken?  The answer is NO they
>> can't.  So you don't have to either.
>>
>> There is no written requirement on Microsoft website requiring you do
>> uninstall Office packages.
>>
>> Just give away your machine and you can buy a new one and still use your
>> CD all over again.  By the way M$ is too busy developing Office 2010 so
>> 2007 is no longer important to them.
>>
>> hth
>>
>> "Sally S" <SallyS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi, I'm about to sell my Dell pc on which I recently installed Microsoft
>>> & Student 2007.  Do I just un-install it and then re-install it on the
>>> new
>>> one?  Is it illegal (or stupid) to leave it on the computer?  And how
>>> would I
>>> go about moving my Word files from old to new?  Any advice much
>>> appreciated.
>>> Thanks
>>> Sal

0
JoAnn
1/28/2010 3:00:07 PM
Hey Pimp,

Produce your link where you got this crap from!

There is no requirement to uninstall anything.  PERIOD.

How's your sister these days?  Is she still working the oldest
profession known to the mankind?

hth

Peter Foldes wrote:

> That is a wrong advice. If the OP plans to install it on his new computer then he
> cannot leave it on his old one that he plans to sell. He must remove it.If he does
> not then either the OP or the person he sold his old system to will lose the
> activation on their first try when they do an update from Windows or Microsoft
> Update.

0
ANONYMOUS
1/28/2010 8:54:38 PM
<plonk>

--
Susan Ramlet
--

> Hey Pimp,
>
> Produce your link where you got this crap from!
>
> There is no requirement to uninstall anything.  PERIOD.
>
> How's your sister these days?  Is she still working the oldest
> profession known to the mankind?
>
> hth
>

> Peter Foldes wrote:
>>
>> That is a wrong advice. If the OP plans to install it on his new computer
>> then he
>> cannot leave it on his old one that he plans to sell. He must remove
>> it.If he does
>> not then either the OP or the person he sold his old system to will lose
>> the
>> activation on their first try when they do an update from Windows or
>> Microsoft
>> Update.

0
Susan
1/30/2010 12:20:04 AM
"Susan Ramlet" <shramlet@SPAMISBADmanitscoldhere.com> wrote in message
> <plonk>

Is there anything else you are capable of writing?  No wonder you are very
fat, smelly and untouchable.  Have you wondered why people are staying away
from you.

0
ANONYMOU

change page setup from printing 1 business card to 2 rows of 5
the program wont let me make this simple change. all i want to do is set up the page so that it prints the card in two rows of 5 but there is no way to change it. Oh but there is, give this a try. Here's I do it with Publisher 2000. File Page Setup Special Size Business Card from the drop down menu OK Create card. Assuming you are using standard business card stock of 2 wide and 5 high; File Print Page options button Print multiple copies per sheet Custom options button Margins = .5" Gap = 0" Side Margins =...

how to change permission for public folders?
Hello there! First of all, I must say I'm very grateful for all good things I learned in this newsgroup. Now to my little question: I've installed plain-vanilla Exchange 2003 Server system with Outlook 2002 as clients. I imported users .pst files into their new Exchange-accounts and that works as a charm. But I don't quite understand what to do so that users will be able to share their adress books or contacts (the main reason why they moved from .pst to Exchange). When I mark "public folders" and try to create new item it says that i don't have permission to cre...

Automatically changing the range in a graph
I constantly add data to a spreadsheet and I want to only graph the last 24 data points with out constantly cahnging the graph range. How do I do this? Jon Peltier has instructions for a dynamic chart: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html#DynoLast12 Bret Davis wrote: > I constantly add data to a spreadsheet and I want to only graph the last 24 > data points with out constantly cahnging the graph range. How do I do this? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

allow change font while password pretected.
Hi all I have this sub below that I use, It works very well apart from one small thing. I would like to have a password in it. Also I need to be able to change the font colour and make bold etc. I have tryed adding it to the sub but it wont work, as the sub is now it works but users can go to the protection in tools and unprotect. If I add a password to the sheet I cant use the macro. Please help Regards Chris Sub InsertRowsSASDeck() Dim ar As Long If Selection.Interior.ColorIndex <> 36 _ Or Selection.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub ActiveSheet.Unprotect ar ...

Change (reverse) scale axis
How can you change the direction of the numbers on the page scale. In other words, the scales are on the left and the top of the page. The left scale starts at zero on the bottom of the page and counts up. The scale on the top of the page starts at zero on the left side of the page and counts to the right. How do you change it so that the scale starts on the right and counts to the left? Thanks. You can't. The best you can do is move the zero point. Pause your mouse over the crosshairs in the ruler at the top-right for a tooltip on how to do this. So you could put the origin ...

Auto Format Change
Re Excel 2002. I have a colleague in accounts. She has a spreadsheet of bank details. She formats her sort codes to text (an example is 20-40-70) and then saves as a CSV file. When she then opens the CSV file, some of the sort codes have changed to dates (example 20/05/2016). It doesn't affect all the sort codes so what can she do? I believe I have just solved it! I have advised her to not format to text, just leave as general and this seems to do the trick. "DM" wrote: > Re Excel 2002. > > I have a colleague in accounts. She has a spreadsheet of bank deta...

Changing the default page size in visio2002
Hi all, I have set up a template for a series of flowcharts, which includes a foreground page, a background page and a specific stencil. I set the page size to A4 in the page properties (for both foreground and background pages) for the printer paper size and made the drawing "same as printer paper" size. Next time I created a new document from the template, the foreground, background and stencil are as expected, but the page size has returned to 'Letter'. Is there any way to make the default page size 'A4' and make it stick? I would have preferred something like i...

changing disk quota via powershell
Good day, I need to change all the disk quota entries on a disk to increase the limit of the amount of space allocated in the quota. There are a few hundred users and changing them all manually is a nuisance. I found out how to print out the limits using a piece of script: get-wmiobject -class "Win32_DiskQuota" -namespace "root\CIMV2" -computername "." | foreach { write-host "Quota Limit: " $_.Limit} There isn't an equivalent set-wmiobject or anything I can see which will set the limit value so I really can't see how to do thi...

Formatting changed when received by version 97
Hi, I have a problem with my Outlook XP. I am using Outlook XP with SP2 installed and using Word as my email editor. My problem is that when my emails are received by a 2000 or XP version of Outlook, all text is displayed correctly, but when a version 97 receives my mail then the font is changing mid sentence and extra blank lines are being added. The whole email look a complete mess. I know 97 only uses text and not HTML so something must be wrong with the way 97 removes the HTML tags. Has anyone had this problem or know of a fix? TIA Mark It is not so much that Outlook 97 does not ...

Identifying dead computer accounts
as I understand it, in a forest level 2003 domain, the default frequency for computer members to change their domain password is every 30 days, so if this value is greater than 60 days, it means the server has been off the network for at least a month minimum, right? I'm assuming shortest case scenario that it may have been turned off the day before it was going to change the password (day 30) and now it's a 60-year-old password. (hope that makes sense!) Also, will a computer automatically reset its password the moment it is powered on if the password age is greater than 30?...

Changing username using the registry.
I'm trying to figure out how to change a users -username- for Exce using the registry. I'm needing to change username's of people withou disturbing them -like anyone wants to know this- Any help will be greatly appreciated -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Checking For Numeric Before Computing?
Seems like: =IF(ISNUMBER(R8C15),IF(R8C15 > 0, R8C15/R1C17,Null),Null) Should return Null if R8C15 contains "xxx". But it returns "#NAME?" instead. Can anybody see what I'm doing wrong? (I'm pushing that "IF" statement into the cell's .FormulaR1C1 via VBA code) On Jul 11, 9:39 am, PeteCresswell <PeteCr...@gmail.com> wrote: > Seems like: > > =IF(ISNUMBER(R8C15),IF(R8C15 > 0, R8C15/R1C17,Null),Null) > > Should return Null if R8C15 contains "xxx". > > But it returns "#NAME?" instead. >...

upgrade computer from Windows 95 to Windows 98
I do not know very much about computers but I want to upgrade the Windows operating system from Windows 95 to Windows 98. I looked on the microsoft site but there were too many to go through and I was not finding what i needed. I have a COMPAQ deskpro with intel celeron. My computer is a 4 years old but I have been told that it can be upgraded. any help is appreciated thank you Kathy hahaha, oh man, I'm SO sorry, but I had to print this out and show someone WHERE O' WHERE do I start? hehe......oh wait, are you SERIOUS? -G "Kathy" <Kburnside4@yahoo.com> wrote...

Can't install 12.2.1 on any computers 10.4-10.6
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel "You cannot install Office 2008 12.2.1 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume." I get this error on every computer in the building, PowerPC computers running 10.4 and Intel computers running 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6. All the computers currently have 12.2.0 and have all current OS updates. Any ideas? On 10/1/09 7:54 AM, in article 59b7db0d.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "macinmypocket@officeformac.com" <macinmypocket@officeformac.com...

Sync "Sent Items" on two computers
I have a Notebook and a desktop system, both use identical outlook 2002 configs for sending and recieving email. I have my email set up to "Leave a Duplicate Copy" on the server so I can get the same incoming emails on both my systems. My problem is I want to somehow sync my "Sent Items" so that each computer is Identical in that regard as well. Please Please help me get a handle on this. Many thanks, Shane Centerville, UT rsownbey@msn.com 801-292-9069 801-554-4142 Hello Shane, Have a look at www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.html or at my signature for a powerful...

How to Change ITEM Average Cost in GP 10
How to Change ITEM Average Cost in GP 10 - while the feature disappeared from utility --> Inventory on release 10.0??? Inventory Tile, then from the desktop Utilities->Adjust Cost Or Microsoft Dynamics GP->Tools->Utilities->Inventory->Adjust Costs -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "Mohamed Salah" wrote: > How to Change ITEM Average Cost in GP 10 - while the feature disappeared from > utility ...

Changing Case
Is it possible, as it is in Word, to use one button to switch the case of text (e.g. from Uppercase to Lowercase) within an excel document? I'm no professional, so sorry if this sounds a silly question. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks. There is nothing built into Excel to change the case of text. That would require a macro. I'm sure a Google search would turn up plenty if you want to go that way. Or look at the thread started in this NG 23 minutes before your post ("Change Text Case") for an example by Chip Pearson. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

calculating in a changing range
I am trying to find a maximum value in a range that will be changing (in starting position, and length). Here is an example, this is cells A1 to A13: 2 1 0 1 2 3 4 3 2 1 0 1 2 I want to find the max between zero points (In this case, there would be one max, and it would be 4). The number of zero points and the number of cells between them will change. Anyone have some idea of how to go about this, or anything to even get me started? Thank you! -- gkaste ------------------------------------------------------------------------ gkaste's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?...

Sort on Tab Change
Is there a way to trigger sorting of a column, when I change tabs? I have a dataset that I use for input and a different tab which is a leaderboard. I want to sort the leaderboard by high score every time I change to that tab. I currently have a macro button I click to sort by high score, then I have to click the leadboard tab. I'd obviously like to click the leaderboard tab and have the data sorted by high score. Just attempting to combine 2 steps. step 1 - Sort input form by highscore step 2 - open the leaderboard tab Thanks, Jeff right-click the ...

How do I change the color in a graph?
I want to highlight two columns (out of about 15) by making them a different color than the other 13 columns. I have done everything and nothing seems to work. Any ideas?? Hi, To manually change the colour select the columns and then click the specific column you want to format. Once the single column is selected bring up the format dialog by either double clicking it or pressing CTRL+1. On the pattern tab change the area colour. Repeat procress for the other column. If the columns to be coloured vary with the data the have a look at Jon's explanation of how to make conditional...

Changing the font color in an Excel footer
How can I change the font color in my custom footer? I can change other font attributes, but not the color. What am I missing? You're not missing a thing. With XL2002 and later, you can put a picture into the footer. If you have static custom text, you could use a graphic instead. In article <1AB2BF73-D216-49B4-9E47-AD79F5E09912@microsoft.com>, "Laura at Chelsea" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How can I change the font color in my custom footer? I can change other font > attributes, but not the color. What am I missing? Thanks JE ! ...

Change Fiscal Periods #2
Using GP 9 and the fiscal year ends 10/31. Changing the Fiscal year to a calendar year starting 1/1/08. What is the best way to handle in GP and are there any potential issues with doing this? Thanks You have two options. 1. If the current year started 11/1, you can extend it two months and have a 14 month year ending 12/31/2008. If the current year is named 2008, this is your best option. 2. If you cant do that and MUST restart a fiscal year 1/1/2008, then first shorten the current year to 2 months and create a new year. If the current year being shortened is named 2008, you...

Change calender design
Hi, I'm trying to make a calender for cristmaspresents but i'm not doing so well. I chose a pre-fab calender design in Publisher and now I can´t make my changes applyed for every month Please pardon my english I'm from Denmark and not used to write in english /Kiki Kiki what version of Publisher are you using? What are you trying to change every month? -- Whooups forgot to tell I'm using Office Publisher 2003 on XP Hi I would like to change the design to fit in larger pictures, but when I change the size of the calendarpart and ask to change the dates (in order to...

Protection from format changes allowing form to be filled in
I have a questionnaire matrix to be filled in by others. I would like to protect the form from changes in format. However, others should be able to fill in the form by choosing from drop down list and/or writing in cells. The way I have been trying is: tools, protection, protect sheet, insert password, ok. Tried variations with contents, objects, scenarios boxes all ticked/partically ticked/blank. However, in all cases, the sheet becomes read only and does not allow to be filled in. Thank you for your help. Unprotect the worksheet (if you have it protected). Select the cells that the users ...

Web Query How do I change columns of the MSN Stock quotes table?
I want to add the opening price to the web query MSN Moneycentral Investor Stock Quotes. How can I adjust which columns are included in this table If you are talking about the MSN Money Stock Quotes that appears on the data menu, if you select that option, then Help, you'll get to a web page that has another link entitled MSN Stock Quote Function Reference (or something similar). It lists the information that's available and explains the syntax of the formulas. On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 06:13:07 -0700, "BKM24" <BKM24@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I want to add the...