Word 2010 beta: Cannot save my Normal.dotm file

Using the Word 2010 beta on Win7. I cannot save my Normal.dotm file - at
least not usefully. I can open the file, edit it, add macros to it, whatever,
and it will save (in the folder directory, the .dotm file will show a change
in file size). But when I close Word, or if I open a new document in Word, the
Normal.dotm file is reset to the default, losing any changes I've made.

I can save and use other .dotm templates; but not the default Normal.dotm
template.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/office2010

--
Susan Ramlet
--

"ERK" <ERK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using the Word 2010 beta on Win7. I cannot save my Normal.dotm file - at
> least not usefully. I can open the file, edit it, add macros to it,
> whatever,
> and it will save (in the folder directory, the .dotm file will show a
> change
> in file size). But when I close Word, or if I open a new document in Word,
> the
> Normal.dotm file is reset to the default, losing any changes I've made.
>
> I can save and use other .dotm templates; but not the default Normal.dotm
> template.

0
Susan

Word 2007/2010 doesn't implement shading properly
If you set the background shading color for a line of text, the background shading color only applies directly to the line of text and not the spacing before or after. Suppose you select a text paragragh and its heading to be shaded light gray. You increase spacing below the heading and text body, select the heading text and put a bottom border to it. Notice how that breaks the shading. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button ...

import multiple text files at once
Hi, I have got 37 text files from a datalogger which I want to import into an excel sheet. They are tab delimited files. Is there a way to automatically import all files and in a way that each of the imported files comes in another sheet in the workbook. Remco Remco, If you have Excel 2002, you can set up queries using Data - Get External Data - Import. You'll have to do this for each file. If you want to go through the files automatically (without having to once set up a query for each), I think you'll have to write a macro. The queries can be set to automatically refresh eac...

Save Excel WorkBook
I need to write VBA code embedded to a workbook in such a way that, if the workbook is in a particular directory (sa C:\WinNT\Temp) , the save option work as "SaveAs" (Or in otherway to behave the WorkBook as if it is never saved... ThisWorkBook.Path = "") I tried to write in the thisWorkBook Module ... Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel A Boolean) Dim bCodeRunning As Boolean bCodeRunning = False If ThisWorkBook.Path = strTempDir Then If bCodeRunning Then Application.Dialog(xlSaveAs).Show bCodeRunning = False Else bCodeRunning = True E...

Microsoft Error Reporting Window on Quitting Word
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Since upgrading to Snow Leopard about half the times that I quit Word I get a Microsoft Error Reporting Window stating that "Microsoft Word has encountered a problem and needs to close." I have not yet been able to determine under what circumstances this does and does not occur. It's an odd message since Word has been working just fine up until I quit. It occurs when quitting from the menu, dock, keyboard, or by shutting down the computer. Thanks for any help you can offer to correct this! On 10/13/0...

Using Word & Excel v.X to tabulate race results for community festival
Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Later this month, I will be volunteering for a local sprint racing event at a community festival. Races take place over three days of a long weekend. Friday features one mid-distance race and Saturday and Sunday feature sprint races repeated over the two-day event. (Contestants run in the race for the first day, have their race-time recorded, and then again on the second day, again the time is recorded. The race results are the total of both days' times for each contestant.) Some contestants may drop out of a...

How to check for dupes on 2 files, and ? about csv file ext
I have two files, one has a csv ext and the other one a Excel 2003 extension. both open up in my 2003 Excel. How can I strip the duplicates out of the file. One is 4400 names and one about 1100. I tried to do it on the csv file, and then when I tried to save the file I got all kinds of replies that made me nervous and I cancelled the operation. What is that csv file, (I know the name comma separated value????) someone said it is the same as the excel file, they just changed the extension. Is that true? Supposedly the people that will write invitation cards from this list wanted it in t...

Editing files on a webserver with XL2007
I want to edit a XL file that is on a webserver. Using XL2003 this is no problem: the file opens read & write. Using XL2007 the file opens read only. I can't even use Save As. It says the CopyOf already exists, and i know this is not the case. OS = Vista Business. I tried on different computers - it stays all the same. In the options of XL2007, i can't add the webserver to trusted places. What should i do, to open a file on a webserver with XL2007 read write? Thank you. ...

Some unprotected dvr-ms files won't sync with wmp mobile/smartphon
Hello, Some unprotected media center edition files (2005 xp) sync perfectly with my smartphone using WMP 11, but others don't. When the sync doesn't work, WMP says there was an error. Clicking on the "X" next to the entry produces a message saying the file could not be converted to the desired format, etc. I have no idea which files will sync or why some syncs fail. It's about 50-50. I'm running: Windows Media Player 11 version 11.0.5721.5268 Windows Media Player 10 Mobile for Pocket PC, version 10.3 build 21052 Decoder: CyberLink Vide/SP De...

Can't open archive file...
Hello All, Recently I started backing up my archived emails on my laptop to a USB high-capacity drive. I use a backup tool called TK8. Well, I recently had a need to restore the file and when I did, I get an error that reads: File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file "<file name here>.pst" Any idea what may be the cause? All the credentials are the same. HELP!!! Thanks. hnmcclain@gmail.com Make sure the file isn't marked Read-only in its attributes. "HNM74" <hnmcclain@gmail.com> wrote in message news:11459...

How do I copy a file in VBA?
I am exporting data from Access to Excel, and want to use a template called Dallas-xxx.xls for the data. I would like to copy that template to Dallas-123.xls then fill that spreadsheet to preserve my template. How do I do the copy-paste in Access 2007 VBA? See http://www.devhut.net/index.php?lang=en&pid=0000000027#CopyFile -- Hope this helps, Daniel Pineault http://www.cardaconsultants.com/ For Access Tips and Examples: http://www.devhut.net Please rate this post using the vote buttons if it was helpful. "M Skabialka" wrote: > I am exporting d...

Always asks to save
I have a excel workbook that when opened will then not let you exit th workbook until saved. This is causing problems because I am using program called "4 Tops" to import data from that workbook into access I have looked to see if any macros were causing problems and it doesn' appear to be that. Also, have saved it several times using other method but it always carries this "problem" with it. Any help would b appetiated -- augie ----------------------------------------------------------------------- augiem's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=ge...

Just lost current 2 weeks of folder "saved items"
Cannot see current contents of saved items folder. Data starts at two weeks ago. Definitely have data saved in this folder that is more current than the previous two weeks. Any idea why, is there a setting that displays the view option of a file by oldest date? what view are you using on the folder? try resetting the view. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook &...

renaming acwz*.mde files before loading Office2000 SP3
I forgot to rename these files (acwztool.mde, acwzmain.mde, acwzlib.mde) to acwz*.old, as instructed, before installing Office2000 Service Pack 3, which cannot be uninstalled. It states if you are an Access 2000 user, which I am, you must do this. Did the files just not get updated? How can I fix this situation? Thanks. Hi Deb, My name is Amy Vargo. Thank you for using the Microsoft Access Newsgroups. Are you having problems using any of the wizards? These files are associated with the wizards. Test doing something in Access that uses a wizard, such as creating a form using the ...

Export data from a MPP file to Project server
Does anyone know how to export the data from a MS project .mpp file into Project Server 2007 ? The best way to do this is to connect to Project Server with Project Professional and choose Tools > Enterprise Options > Import Project to Enterprise Follow the steps in the wizard. -- Gary L. Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCTIP Business: http://www.msprojectexperts.com FAQs: http://www.projectserverexperts.com BLOG: http://www.projectserverhelp.com "jc23" <jc23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB37B9C1-439C-4626-B67D-09FA26E973BE@microsoft.com... &g...

Open document with Word instead of Works
Our computer came originally installed with Works. When we loaded Microsoft Office (Home and Student Version) 2007, it seemed to load fine and is able to be used for word processing, excel spreadsheets, etc. But when we try to open documents sent via the web, it automatically defaults to Works. In Vista, tried to change the default, and the Microsoft Office suite is not listed on the choices for default programs. Help! Right-click on a file you've saved to your hard drive (you wouldn't try opening an attachment directly from email, would you?), choose "Open With,...

Question for WINSCP software and code for excel application currently using FTP for uploading downloading files from File Server and needs to be changed to SFTP
Hi All, I am using 1. Open = InternetOpen(FTP_AGENT, INTERNET_OPEN_TYPE_PRECONFIG, vbNullString, vbNullString, 0) 'Return a handle/Open an internet connection and other functionality like 2. public Function upload(ByVal pSourceFile As String, ByVal pTargetFile As String) As Boolean upload = FtpPutFile(zlhwndConnection, pSourceFile, pTargetFile, FTP_TRANSFER_TYPE_BINARY, 0) End Function ************************************ 3. Public Function download(ByVal pSourceFile As String, ByVal pTargetFile As String) As Boolean On Error GoTo eofn download = ...

Using an Excel File in Mailings
I have an Excel 2003 database that I used to do "Mail Merge" in Word or Publicher for all types of reports, labels, lists, certificates, etc. Now I'm using 2007 and having a terrible time trying to get it to do what I want! If I make changes to the xls file while I'm in Word, it creates duplicate entries. If I make changes in Excel, they may or may not be there the next time I open it! I had a pretty good handle on doing about anything I wanted with 2003 but 2007 doesn't think the same way I do! Any ideas? ...

How can I open up a Publisher 2002 file in Publisher 2000?
How can I open up a Publisher 2002 file in Publisher 2000? You can't. Have your correspondent save the file as a 2000 Publisher document. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "rodeo rich" <rodeo rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:589DF782-CCF8-4FC1-A58F-E04201915DC3@microsoft.com... > How can I open up a Publisher 2002 file in Publisher 2000? ...

Can t read mac-word files containing excel graphs on a PC
I am using microsoft Office X 10.1.4 on a powerbook G4 with operating system OS X 10.3.5 panther. I have created a graph in Excel on its own sheet (ie the one that contains the relevant data). I activate the graph, copy it to the clipboard, switch to Word and do a Paste Special, paste as image. So do I with all the excel graphs I want to insert into my word document (scientific report). The word document is saved under format "microsoft word document". I ve sent my word document to several colleagues who work on PCs. They all told me they could not see the excel graphs. They (the ...

Opening File
Hello I am having some trouble opening some excel documents. When I click on the file in windows explorer the file errors out and does not open but when I first open Excel and then open the file by using the "File, Open" menu options the files open What could be the problem and how can I fix it Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on the file in windows explorer: Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /re...

remove word from Excel's custom dictionary
I need to remove an incorrectly spelled word from Excel's custom dictionary. I know how to do this in Word, but can't see where to do it in Excel. It may vary with your Office and Windows versions but my custom dictionary is: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Proof\Custom.Dic -- Jim Rech Excel MVP That worked. Thank you! When you removed it from word, didn't it disappear from Excel? I think that this is a common element shared by office programs. (I find it easier to use word to clean up the custom dictionary.) Mark wrote: > >...

DPM 2010 Protection group syncronization frequency
For a protection group, can I set syncronization frequency to 72 hours (3 days) via powershell? 24 hours is the longest periode of time available via the GUI. Why? Large protection group synchronization takes over 24 hours and want to avoide the errors every other day. Are you doing consistency checks with every synch? Wouldn't you want to go the other direction and make the synchronizations more frequent so they don't take as long? What kind of data is it, how quickly does it change, and how big is the overall Protection Group? Daniel "skoog" wr...

Outlook 2003 save messages as a text file error
In Outlook XP one could highlight all messages and the use the SAVE AS command to save all the messages to a text file with all header and body information. In Outlook 2003 I attempted the same procedure but it only saves the header information. I tried exporting the file but there isn't an option to extract the date information (important for me)... Anyone have any suggestion on how to do this?? ...

justification problems/first word of new sentence does not capital
I have a new computer at work with Word 2002. My documents are justified. On some lines there are spaces within the words rather than between the words. Other lines, that have been stretched to justify do not have this problem. It seems to be random. I have spent much time with Dell trying to solve this problem, they cannot find an answer, so now I have to left-justify my documents to make this problem disappear. Also, the first word of a sentence does not capitalize after a numeral followed by a period, i.e. . The patient has foraminal stenosis at L4-5. i would recommend. The patie...

Publisher file won't open!
Help! I just spent 4 hours creating a document in Publisher 2003. I had been "saving" the file periodically throughout the morning, while I was working on it. The instant I closed Publisher and tried to reopen the file, it failed to open the file. Each time I try to open the file, it comes back with a "Send error report to Microsoft..." I tried to delete temp files; installed all service packs for Office, etc. I even tried to open the file with other applications like Word, Powerpoint, etc. I sent the file to a friend, they couldn't open it either. I have NEVER h...