Using a range in Sum Function

I have run across an oddity in Exel 2010 Trial Edition.

If I define a range to be cells c1, d1, f1 and g1 using the Name Manager and
then put the following in another cell:

=Sum(range name), the function returns the proper value.

BUT, each time I open the worksheet after just viewing it (not changing
anything), Excel asks me if I want to save the changes.  I didn't make any
changes so why should it ask me that?

Is there a solution to this?

Thank you.

0
Jack

Do you have something in a header or footer that deals with current time or
date?

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message
>I have run across an oddity in Exel 2010 Trial Edition.
>
> If I define a range to be cells c1, d1, f1 and g1 using the Name Manager
> and then put the following in another cell:
>
> =Sum(range name), the function returns the proper value.
>
> BUT, each time I open the worksheet after just viewing it (not changing
> anything), Excel asks me if I want to save the changes.  I didn't make any
> changes so why should it ask me that?
>
> Is there a solution to this?
>
> Thank you.

0
JoAnn
6/6/2010 6:58:10 PM
Thank you very much.

Actually, this problem occurs in a brand new, empty workbook. No macros, no
data, no nothing.

"JoAnn Paules" <jl_paules@hotnospammail.com> wrote in message
> Do you have something in a header or footer that deals with current time
> or date?
>
> --
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"
>

> "Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message
>>I have run across an oddity in Exel 2010 Trial Edition.
>>
>> If I define a range to be cells c1, d1, f1 and g1 using the Name Manager
>> and then put the following in another cell:
>>
>> =Sum(range name), the function returns the proper value.
>>
>> BUT, each time I open the worksheet after just viewing it (not changing
>> anything), Excel asks me if I want to save the changes.  I didn't make
>> any changes so why should it ask me that?
>>
>> Is there a solution to this?
>>
>> Thank you.

0
Jack

how to use temporary tables in dex
Hi Somebody has one example of how to use temporary tables in dex Cesar Hi Cesar. Define temp tables just as you would define a SQL table in Dex - but with physical name as "temp" without the quotation. I recommend using database type ctree for performance as it would just create a temp file in your directory. From there on, just use the temp table as you would with normal dex table but remember that once you are done with your routine, your temp table will be deleted automatically. Use temp table as a temporary repository for your calculations, reports, etc. ---Darryl Baj...

Expression Calling Public Function In Access 2007
Hello Everyone, I have a perfectly functioning db in 2000-02 and 03. On a calendar form, that lives inside another form, I have all the day buttons OnClick event tied to an expression that points to a public function in the forms code container. Looks like this =ClickMe(11). Code Looks like this: Public Sub ClickMe(ByVal iLabelNum As Integer) DoCmd.Hourglass True Me.Repaint Call SelectDay(("lbl" & CStr(iLabelNum))) DoCmd.Hourglass False Exit Sub In Access 2007 (either in 2002 or converted to 2007), I receive an error: something about "The expression On Click you e...

error C2874: using-declaration causes a multiple declaration of 'ATL::CTime'
Hallo, if I try to compile an old vs6.0 project in vs7.1, I get the error described in subject. I now about streaming errors, but never headed about this error. I hope anybody can help me. Thanx, Robin > Hallo, > > if I try to compile an old vs6.0 project in vs7.1, I get the error > described in subject. > > I now about streaming errors, but never headed about this error. > I hope anybody can help me. > > Thanx, > Robin http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore/html/C2874.asp I would guess that the old project was declaring...

Setting random number range based on query, not table
I have a "quiz" form that randomly pulls up questions from my table. It works fine, and I don't mind that it repeats questions. This allows me to sit and review for as long as I want. The problem is, that I want to use criteria in a query to limit the available questions. If I base this form on a query and limit the number of questions, the code I am using is still setting the maximum number as the number of records in my table. In the past, I had a similar database (which I have lost) that would open the form, set the selector to the last record available to the form,...

UPDATE using SUM
I have a stored procedure where I am trying to update a temp table in the flow of the sp. I have tried the code below but it gives me an error "Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'GROUP' and I understand the error but don't know how to get around it and still get sums. Can anyone help? Thanks. UPDATE #tempInventoryAnalysis SET [PTDSalesQty] = SUM(CASE WHEN MGB.dbo.tblArHistHeader.InvcDate BETWEEN @StartDate AND @EndDate THEN MGB.dbo.tblArHistDetail.QtyShipSell ELSE 0 END), [YTDSalesQty] = SUM(MGB.dbo.tblArHistDetail.Qt...

Microsoft Icons for Web Use
I have several Office documents I'm linking to on my web site and I'm looking for where I can download the icons for the Office applications. Anyone? Specifically, I need an icon for MS Word and MS Excel. It was much easier to find the Acrobat icon for use. :( Thump If you have Office you already have access to the icons. Select one of the applications in the MS Office folder then Command+I for Get Info. Click the icon in the Get Info window & Command+C to copy it, Paste to wherever. NOTE: As an FYI, as with all corporate logos & trademarks there are copyright restrictio...

dial a telephone number using the modem,and playing an audio file when the person lifts up telepone
I wanted to make a vb application which would dial a telephone number using the modem. When the person on the other end lifts up the telephone (answers the phone), the application should start playing an audio file(eg. .wav file). The approach I took was using the Tapi. As my modem is connected to the serial port on my computer I send AT commands to make the phone call . This is working fine and the call is being placed. I wanted to know whether this is possible at all? Whether I am approaching the wrong way? If it is possible, then please give some suggestions or samples(vb or vc). If it is...

Use cell value as cell address
Hello everyone. I have a worksheet "Main" of 39,000 rows in which column B contains a number between 1 and 7,500. Column C is an empty column I have added. The second sheet, "Names" in the book contains a single column - A - of 7,500 names. I want to get the value from the second sheet that matches the number column of the first sheet. In other words, if "Main" cell B3 contains 3780, I want to put the value from "Names" cell A3780 into "Main" C3. How do I do this please? Richard --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi tr...

Can't access hotmail using Outlook Connector for MSN
I can't seem to download anything from my hotmail account into Outlook after setting up a link with Outlook Connector for MSN. Anyone have any ideas? ...

Does not include the specified expression as part of an aggregate function
Running Access 2003 on Windows XP I'm starting a new structure parallel to a current database. The table are fully linked (no local tables) and I'm trying to create a simple query and I keep getting this message. The current query has one table to it, the general idea is to calculate consumption of raw materials in production. Fields: - Product Code (Text) // These are alphanumeric codes. - Inventory deductions // Numeric I'm trying to sum, min and max the deductions. My formula : "Total : Sum([Inventory deductions]) // Low : Min([Inventory deductions]) // H...

RE: msimn.exe R6025 Pure Virtual Function Call
I had the same problem and this worked for me when nothing else listed here did.. Uncheck the block attachments box in options, hit apply and exit restart.. on another machine, same problem had to copy a few messages to the folder which was causing the problem when opened first... Both times it was related to a clean forwarded email from a yahoo.com mailbox. Something in the html or other code caused the error.. If this is still an issue to you send me an email and I will see what else I can do to help.. version of OS and outlook express would be help full.. Qube > "Abbie" <a...

Moving Range Problem
Hi all, I'm trying to build a 6 Sigma control chart into an excel workbook. In order to do this i need to be able to work out a formula for the moving range. I need the following : Eg Data sample : 210 , 425 , 600 , 550 , 450 , 470 The moving range is the distance from second to the first, third to the second etc eg A B C D E F Data Sample 210 , 425 , 600 , 550 , 450 , 470 Moving Range 215, 175 , 50 , 100 , 20 The problem I'm having is trying to get excel to work it out. If say 210 was in A1 i ...

SUM REPHRASED
select a cell with a number, then (ctrl) select other cells with numbers... the sum of the cells should display at the bottom, with each additional cell that you select... how do i set this up/do this??? Right-click on Status Bar and select Sum from the list. If you don't see the Status Bar, go to View>Status Bar. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 6 May 2008 09:54:03 -0700, acp20770 <acp20770@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >select a cell with a number, then (ctrl) select other cells with numbers... >the sum of the cells should display at the bottom, with each add...

Range in Bar Graphs
Hi you guys, I'm making charts for an assignment due tomorrow and I have to add th range of the values to every bar in my bar graphs (bars showing th average value). It's supposed to be a line just like the one line that indicates th average deviation, yet I don't want this line to show the deviation bu rather the range of values that were the source for the average that i being shown by the bar. So for example we have the values 3, 4, and 5. The Average of tha should be 4. The bar shows the value four (4 is on the y axis) and drawn across thi bard I would like to have a vertica...

How to get total "conditional sum of cells" in a column?
Hi all, I have dollar amounts in one col, and status in another. I want the sum of those dollar amounts where the corresponding status cell is empty (blank). How do I do this? Thanks for any hints, cdj Status in Column A and dollar amounts in Column B: =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A100="")*B2:B100) -- HTH Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland and the crowning place of kings sandymann2@mailinator.com Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk "sherifffruitfly" <sherifffruitfly@gmail.com> wrote in message news:bc08584b-1338-4b3f-8ab3-cc3e1602e581@n1g2000prb.go...

Use this internet package
--izytvhgodf Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="zqzdzynieuqqee"; type="multipart/alternative" --zqzdzynieuqqee Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="fezlepmdc" --fezlepmdc Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to maintain the security of your computer from these vulnerab...

How to declare a pointer to a member function of a class?
Hi to all, How can I declare a pointer to a method of a class? I'm trying to do the following but the compiler doesn't like it and gives me the following error: ***** error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from 'void (__thiscall CMyDlg::*)(class CString &)' to 'void (__cdecl *)(class CString &)' There is no context in which this conversion is possible ***** What would be the right way to declare the function pointer? void CMyDlg::funct1(CString &s) { s = "Funct One"; } void CMyDlg::funct2(CString &s) { s = "F...

Conditional Formatting
Hello all, I have a spreadsheet with 79,000 cells of information in rows and columns. On a separate worksheet I have 5,000 cells of information. I would like any information in the first sheet that is in the second sheet to turn to red. For example. Sheet1, column A hellothere howareyou iamfine Sheet2, column A hellothere iamfine I would like the two strings in sheet one which appear in sheet 2 to turn red, leaving the middle string black. Is there a way to do a lookup to compare the cell value to a range using conditional formatting? Thanks for any help. Mxx -- murphyz -----...

Using IF for conditional formatting?
Need help with displaying blank cells when formulas are inside. The formulas would display a value if the contents of a source cell is filled in. I'm attempting to use in the formula cells(like B2): IF(A2="","",A2*5) If A2 is null, then display blank in B2, else calculate A2 * 5. Is this the best approach to keeping formula cells clear until data is entered? Thanks!!!! Yes -- For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup. Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Barb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:fd0201c4...

Error
I have two investment accounts. Both have the same stock. When I enter the symbol in the second account, I get an Error Message "Symbol in Use." Anyone know why this occurs and how two investment accounts can hold the same stock. When asked for the symbol, don't type it in but use the drop down menu. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsoft.com "Scott" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:06d701c39540$e8...

Here is the requirement for SAP LSO Functional Consultantwhich is in KS
Hi, Hope you are doing well, Role: SAP LSO Functional Consultant Location: Kansas City, KS Duration: 6 Month We are looking for an SAP LSO functional consultant for a 6 month project in Kansas. If you have any one good, please get back to me. Rate is open at the moment. Waiting for your response.. Thanks & Regards, Systel Inc. Umer Shaikh E-mail Id:- umers@systelinc.com URL:- www.systelinc.com Direct:- 678-261-5233 Fax:-678-623-5938 ...

Using XmlRootAttribute for deserialization
I've seen this come up before, but in my case, things are a little more complex, and I'm having a tough time figuring out how to set an element name that works. I have a configuration file that is my serialized object (I'm using a customer deserializer to add some more XAML-like capabilities): <AppConfigObject> <RuntimeType:Kernel xmlns:RuntimeType="MyNamespace.DefaultKernel, Kernel"/> </AppConfigObject> public class AppConfigObject { [XmlElement] public Kernel {...} } Problem I have is deserializing the child node <Kernel> because it al...

How do I use text in a cell as a range name in a formula
If cell A1 had the text TEST in it and TEST is the name I have given to a group of cells using the name box what formula can I use to give me the sum of TEST, thats is the sum of the cells in the group called TEST. I understand that I can simply have =SUM(TEST), but I want the formula to refer to Cell A1 to get the name ie =SUM(A1) doesn't work obviously Any help appreciated Thank you In this case, you want to use the INDIRECT function. E.g., =SUM(INDIRECT(A1)) -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Kiwi" &...

Make your site eazy to use.
A year or two ago I use to be able to get on CustomerSource very eazily and get information and articles I needed. Now it took me 15 minutes just to sign on. Then I could not find an article about opening a new year or closing 2005. How simple should something that basic be? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreade...

To auto-fill using names no longer in address
Is there a way to remove the names for the auto fill feature that are no longer in the address book or contact list? If they are selected the properties for the entry states name is no longer valid Address Book entry. Thanks. State your Outlook version and what you mean by "autofill." Outlook has two different functions this could be: autoresolution or autocompletion. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Ernie C" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04e601c4913a$f07a15c0$7d02280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to remove the names for the au...