Sending secure email and attachments?

If I want to send an email with attachment (usually in Word, Excel or
Powerpoint) so that it is secure, and so that the attachment can only be
opened by someone who knows the "password" that we agree upon, is there a way
to do this?

I wasn't familiar with an available option in Outlook, or any specific
programs or coding that allow for this.

Btw, can emails themselves be password protected so that the intended
recipient has to enter an agreed upon password, just to read the content of
the email (as well as access any attached files included)? If this is
possible, than I wouldn't need to secure and password protect the attached
file if the recipient can't even access the content of the email itself
without a password.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Btw, I have the Office 2007
Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) on my computer, and I'm using a Windows 7 PC.

Dan

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=encrypted+email&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=encrypted+&gs_rfai=&fp=581c98b851fa30a2
and
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP012305361033.aspx

Danny Boy wrote:
> If I want to send an email with attachment (usually in Word, Excel or
> Powerpoint) so that it is secure, and so that the attachment can only be
> opened by someone who knows the "password" that we agree upon, is there a way
> to do this?
>
> I wasn't familiar with an available option in Outlook, or any specific
> programs or coding that allow for this.
>
> Btw, can emails themselves be password protected so that the intended
> recipient has to enter an agreed upon password, just to read the content of
> the email (as well as access any attached files included)? If this is
> possible, than I wouldn't need to secure and password protect the attached
> file if the recipient can't even access the content of the email itself
> without a password.
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Btw, I have the Office 2007
> Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) on my computer, and I'm using a Windows 7 PC.
>
> Dan

0
Bob
5/4/2010 9:55:42 PM
Office 2003 and Office 2007 should be used to encrypt the
documents before attaching them to your email.  Also, you could
zip the office files using Winzip and this allows you to encrypt
the files before attaching them.

Hope this gives you the idea.

--
THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
KIND. LD5SZRA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESSED OR

Copyright LD5SZRA 2010.
0
LD5SZRA
5/4/2010 9:55:46 PM
Thanks for all the help. I found the: Prepare>Encrypt Document option in Word
and Excel 2007 that allows me to encrypt and password protect a file before
emailing it.

Here is my follow up question?

If the person I email the attached file or files to has an older version of
Office (e.g. Word or Excel 2002 or 2003) will they still be able to receive,
enter the password I provide them, and view the email? I just wanted to make
sure that encrypting and password protecting with Word and Excel 2007 can be
accessed and viewed without difficulty in the event that someone is using an
older version of the Office software.

I also found that I cannot open Outlook, attach multiple files, and
ecrypt/password protect them all at once in a single email. Is this
assumption correct? It appears that I have to encrypt and password protect
one item at a time, and if I have 5 files to email in an encrypted/password
protected format, I have to send 5 separate emails, and cannot merely attach
5 encrypted/password protected Word documents to one email (as I could do
when sending non encrypted files).

Thanks for the clarification!

Dan

"Bob I" wrote:

> http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=encrypted+email&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=encrypted+&gs_rfai=&fp=581c98b851fa30a2
> and
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP012305361033.aspx
>
> Danny Boy wrote:
> > If I want to send an email with attachment (usually in Word, Excel or
> > Powerpoint) so that it is secure, and so that the attachment can only be
> > opened by someone who knows the "password" that we agree upon, is there a way
> > to do this?
> >
> > I wasn't familiar with an available option in Outlook, or any specific
> > programs or coding that allow for this.
> >
> > Btw, can emails themselves be password protected so that the intended
> > recipient has to enter an agreed upon password, just to read the content of
> > the email (as well as access any attached files included)? If this is
> > possible, than I wouldn't need to secure and password protect the attached
> > file if the recipient can't even access the content of the email itself
> > without a password.
> >
> > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Btw, I have the Office 2007
> > Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) on my computer, and I'm using a Windows 7 PC.
> >
> > Dan
>
> .

Perhaps you should just password protect a ZIPfile and send that if you
aren't going to be certain about the recipient's e-mail client.

Danny Boy wrote:
> Thanks for all the help. I found the: Prepare>Encrypt Document option in Word
> and Excel 2007 that allows me to encrypt and password protect a file before
> emailing it.
>
> Here is my follow up question?
>
> If the person I email the attached file or files to has an older version of
> Office (e.g. Word or Excel 2002 or 2003) will they still be able to receive,
> enter the password I provide them, and view the email? I just wanted to make
> sure that encrypting and password protecting with Word and Excel 2007 can be
> accessed and viewed without difficulty in the event that someone is using an
> older version of the Office software.
>
> I also found that I cannot open Outlook, attach multiple files, and
> ecrypt/password protect them all at once in a single email. Is this
> assumption correct? It appears that I have to encrypt and password protect
> one item at a time, and if I have 5 files to email in an encrypted/password
> protected format, I have to send 5 separate emails, and cannot merely attach
> 5 encrypted/password protected Word documents to one email (as I could do
> when sending non encrypted files).
>
> Thanks for the clarification!
>
> Dan
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=encrypted+email&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=encrypted+&gs_rfai=&fp=581c98b851fa30a2
>>and
>>http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP012305361033.aspx
>>
>>Danny Boy wrote:
>>
>>>If I want to send an email with attachment (usually in Word, Excel or
>>>Powerpoint) so that it is secure, and so that the attachment can only be
>>>opened by someone who knows the "password" that we agree upon, is there a way
>>>to do this?
>>>
>>>I wasn't familiar with an available option in Outlook, or any specific
>>>programs or coding that allow for this.
>>>
>>>Btw, can emails themselves be password protected so that the intended
>>>recipient has to enter an agreed upon password, just to read the content of
>>>the email (as well as access any attached files included)? If this is
>>>possible, than I wouldn't need to secure and password protect the attached
>>>file if the recipient can't even access the content of the email itself
>>>without a password.
>>>
>>>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Btw, I have the Office 2007
>>>Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) on my computer, and I'm using a Windows 7 PC.
>>>
>>>Dan
>>
>>.

0
Bob
5/5/2010 12:02:13 PM
In article <4BE097E2.53B6A249@discussions.microsoft.com>,
LD5SZRA@discussions.microsoft.com says...

> Office 2003 and Office 2007 should be used to encrypt the
> documents before attaching them to your email.  Also, you could
> zip the office files using Winzip and this allows you to encrypt
> the files before attaching them.

<snip>

a free alternative is 7Zip at http://www.7-zip.org/

0
Zaidy036
5/6/2010 7:50:49 PM

Zaidy036 wrote:
> In article <4BE097E2.53B6A249@discussions.microsoft.com>,
> LD5SZRA@discussions.microsoft.com says...
>
>>Office 2003 and Office 2007 should be used to encrypt the
>>documents before attaching them to your email.  Also, you could
>>zip the office files using Winzip and this allows you to encrypt
>>the files before attaching them.
>>

> <snip>
>
> a free alternative is 7Zip at http://www.7-zip.org/

why bother with that when your operating system can already do it?

0
Bob
5/6/2010 9:34:04 PM
In article <#8$JbPW7KHA.5112@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, birelan@yahoo.com says...

> Zaidy036 wrote:
> > In article <4BE097E2.53B6A249@discussions.microsoft.com>,
> > LD5SZRA@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> >
> >>Office 2003 and Office 2007 should be used to encrypt the
> >>documents before attaching them to your email.  Also, you could
> >>zip the office files using Winzip and this allows you to encrypt
> >>the files before attaching them.
> >>

> > <snip>
> >
> > a free alternative is 7Zip at http://www.7-zip.org/
>
> why bother with that when your operating system can already do it?

Do you mean Office or OS ?

7 Zip has what I think are several advantages:
- one can have many files in a single zip file
- only use p/w once to lock or unlock all files
- supports different p/w security levels
- supports a command line in a batch to do repetitive tasks.
0
Zaidy036
5/7/2010 9:18:38 PM

Zaidy036 wrote:
> In article <#8$JbPW7KHA.5112@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, birelan@yahoo.com says...
>
>>Zaidy036 wrote:
>>
>>>In article <4BE097E2.53B6A249@discussions.microsoft.com>,
>>>LD5SZRA@discussions.microsoft.com says...

>>><snip>
>>>
>>>a free alternative is 7Zip at http://www.7-zip.org/
>>
>>why bother with that when your operating system can already do it?
>

> Do you mean Office or OS ?

I said operating system, please see Windows XP Help for

extract files from a zipped compressed folder

0
Bob

Security Descriptors not updating
Anyone else having, or have had this problem when updating a custom role? Thanks! ...

Sending message as a delegate
Is there a way for a secretary to send an email that says it's from two people (she is the delegate for both of these people). jschwartz@pattonboggs.com wrote: > Is there a way for a secretary to send an email that says > it's from two people (she is the delegate for both of > these people). A message can come from only one address/account, so, short answer is no. ...

Why does copy and paste between eMails not work?
Copy no longer copies to the clipboard. Is there a setting I have deleted somewhere? Using Windows 7 and Office 2007 proffessional. Does it work if you restart outlook? Do you have any addins installed that could be erasing the clipboard? I've seen this happen with addins and contacts, but not email. to test, open the new message form before copying so you just need to copy and switch to the other message. (http://www.slipstick.com/Contacts/clipboard.htm) -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Cent...

Can't Make Attachment
I just upgraded to outlook 2003 and now I can't drag and drop files into a new mail message; even though I can click on the paper click and attach a file that way. I had this functionality prior to upgrading to Outlook 2003. I am running Windows XP. Please advise if anyone knows of a setting for this or a registry fix. Thanks.........Jason Steeves ...

Not able to send email from CRM client
Help, please. I cannot get CRM configured to send email from the CRM client software. See error message below. I have tried all the solutions I can find, including: -Confirmed mailserverurl is set correctly on the CRM server and that the specified server is the Exchange server. -Confirmed that the mailserverurl returns well formed XML. -Gave the IUSR_ORCAS user full control of the the "...mailroot/vsi 1" on the exchange box, which is named ORCAS. -Confirmed platformurl setting on Exchange server is correct. -Confirmed that the machines can communicate with each other. What...

Incoming Emails
Hello, We installed the CRM1.2 on the same server with exchange. Everything is working fine except that the CRM users can not see incoming emails inside CRM although these emails are CRM emails. Can anybody tell what is the reason of that? Regards, Khalid Do you have installed the Router? The Router is a bridge=20 between the Exchange and the CRM who study the incoming=20 flow of emails and copy to the CRM everything who is of=20 the CRM. I hope who that help you.=20 []'s Vin=EDcius Pitta Lima de Ara=FAjo >-----Original Message----- >Hello, > We installed the CRM1.2 o...

No email stationery when through code
Hi I am creating email via code from access using below; Dim objOutlook As Outlook.Application Dim objOutlookMsg As Outlook.MailItem Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") Set objOutlookMsg = objOutlook.CreateItem(olMailItem) objOutlookMsg.To = "recepient@mydomain.com" objOutlookMsg.Subject = "Email Subject" objOutlookMsg.Body = "Dear abc..." objOutlookMsg.Display The problem is that the default signature that is set in outlook doe snot come up in the email. How can I fix it? Thanks Regards Am Sun, 17 Sep 2006 21:11:45 +0100 schri...

Send and Receive All Error Message
When Sending and Receiving before going offline with Outlook XP,(exchange 2000) I get the following error... Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004010F) : 'The operation failed. An object could not be found. ...

no content in the email body
Haven't changed anything knowingly, but now when I receive emails all the content is in a .txt attachment which I open and goes to notepad. There is no content in the email body. "stephen" <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:<#TKSQf$oDHA.2776@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>... > Haven't changed anything knowingly, but now when I receive emails all the > content is > in a .txt attachment which I open and goes to notepad. > > There is no content in the email body. I've seen this before with an Outlook 2000 client. Couldn't find a way to fix it,...

control type
hi when im adding a new control attachment into a form , appears some other controls like ...controlname.filedata ,controlname.fileflag, controlname. filetimestamp ,controlname.fileURL etc.... whats all these , r these usefull and needed ? thanks This occurs only in Access 2007, and only for multi-valued fields. The example you gave is for a field of type Attachment. One record can have multiple attachments. In a query, you can get at the information within each of the items in the multi-valued field. For example look at the FileType to see if the attachment is a picture (e.g. JPG),...

Can you delete and empty an open email

Moving Email Domain off of Exchange #2

Security #6
Hi, Some time ago, a third-party add-in was recommended so that Outlook 2000 could be used for a Word email merge. (It disables the security prompt for each email sent!) Would anyone know the URL for this products? thanX!!!!! You mean Click-Yes? http://www.express-soft.com/mailmate/clickyes.html -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Stuff" <Howie_______BIZ@verizon.net> wrote in message news:Ow%23afmJWEHA.1760@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi, > ...

For security reasons DTD is prohibited in this XML document.
Hi; One of our customers is getting the following error in our software. This occurs in our code when we try to open and read it using the .NET XML classes. For security reasons DTD is prohibited in this XML document. To enable DTD processing set the ProhibitD... (Sorry, the rest of the rrror message is cut off in the screen shot they sent us.) What's going on here and what do we do to make this work? thanks - dave david@at-at-at@windward.dot.dot.net Windward Reports -- http://www.WindwardReports.com me -- http://dave.thielen.com Cubicle Wars - http://www.windwardreports.com/film.ht...

Need Hyperlink from Menu Page to work in email
I have a workbook with several tabs. First tab is a "menu" type page (summary of other pages). Currently I have hyperlinks to all the other pages from the menu page. What I want to be able to do is copy the menu page into an email and enable the users to click on the existing hyperlinks (whatever adjustments needed) to go directly to their page of the workbook. Using Excel 2007. Please advise how to do this and what changes may be need for both options to work. ...

Send/receive #5
When I hit s/r in Outlook 2000, today it is giving me "Operation failed." I've done the troubleshooting detect and repair, checked settings, rebooted. I don't know what to do next. My account w/ Earthlink is current; I'm using dialup; I have Norton and had scan for incoming/outgoing which I've disabled and still not working. Any ideas? ...

Send
Can I eliminate the progress box, or can I configure it to close when done? What is the function of the push pin in the bottom right of the details box? -- Joseph E. Meehan 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math Joseph Meehan <sligojoeS_PAM_2@hotmail.com> wrote: > Can I eliminate the progress box, or can I configure it to close > when done? Yes. On the progress box there should be a check box saying "Don't show this dialog box". Check it. > What is the function of the push pin in the bottom right of the > details box? It "tacks" t...

Send button not showing after updating to SP3
I have updated the office 2002's .msi file with SP3 for network distribution. After redeploying the updated file I few users do not have a send button when the try to send a message. I have tried to delete their accounts and set them up form scratch with no luck. My only work around was to install office from CD. I need to resolve this problem. The installation from the network is a great tool. Thanks DG ...

Receive triplicate emails
On earthlink webmail, I only receive one of each email. When I "Send/Receive" from Outlook 2000, the Send/Receive window tells me I'm receiving 10 emails, but 30 appear in my inbox. Everything arrives in triplicate or duplicate. Extended headers appear to be the same in all three identical emails. Things I've tried and know: Deleted and then reconfigured my earthlink account many times. There is only one earthlink account. "Leave a copy of messages on server" is unchecked. Turned Earhlink Spamblocker On then Off then On then Off... no change. Sent test m...

Authenticating addresses for sending emails
I installed Office XP for Small Business on my laptop recently. Now, quite often I am getting an error message when I try to send an email to someone that says, "You must first authenticate this email address". Does anyone know how this is done? Thanks, Ken I have Office 2003 and I saw this once in my copy, I found it all I had to do was to add the person to my address book as it was part of the built in Spam filters. -- Tedd Riggs PDA Square Content Developer www.pdasquare.com "Ken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01fc01c3d94f$...