Replacing Powerpoint 97 SR-2 on M/S Office 97 Pro Edit on Win XP

I dread asking this in case someone descends on me like a ton of bricks and
says the answer is in the posts already! - but i I have never used the PP 97
which came with the MS Office 97 Pro Edit I have installed on my computer
which uses Win XP with Ser Pack 3.
I am about to embark on using PowerPoint for the FIRST time and wonder
whether I should, before anything else, acquire a more up to date version
first - and one that will work problem free with my XP - which version should
I go for and will it, on loading, overwrite and replace the Powpoint I
already have and still operate with the rest of the Office 97 Pro Edit
components I have installed?
Thanks , Richard H.

"RichardH" <RichardH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I dread asking this in case someone descends on me like a ton of bricks
> and
> says the answer is in the posts already! - but i I have never used the PP
> 97
> which came with the MS Office 97 Pro Edit I have installed on my computer
> which uses Win XP with Ser Pack 3.
> I am about to embark on using PowerPoint for the FIRST time and wonder
> whether I should, before anything else, acquire a more up to date version
> first - and one that will work problem free with my XP - which version
> should
> I go for and will it, on loading, overwrite and replace the Powpoint I
> already have and still operate with the rest of the Office 97 Pro Edit
> components I have installed?
> Thanks , Richard H.

No one should jump on you for this question.  PPT '97 should work problem
free on XP SP3.

While there are newer editions of PowerPoint (PPT) available since you
already have the '97 edition I would start with that version unless you have
the great desire to learn the Ribbon user interface for Office 2007 or the
again-changed ribbon in Office 2010 or absolutely need one of the new
features in the later versions (remember that PPT 2000, 2002 and 2003 are no
longer generally available as they are no longer produced by Microsoft.  You
would have to purchase a used or new version that has been "left on the
shelf.")

PPT 97 will create almost any presentation that you would want to create at
a learner level.  It's presentation files will run on any newer version of
PPT or PPT viewer.  I have access to all versions of PPT from 97 up to and
including 2010 beta.  If I am creating a simple presentation, I start up my
PPT 97 and create it.  If I need really fancy work or animation effects that
PPT 97 doesn't have then I use a later version of the software.

Should you purchase a newer version of either just PPT or an office suite
(which includes Word, Excel, etc.) then you have the option of overwriting
the 97 programs or leave them and install side-by-side with 97 and use one
or the other programs.  You could, of course, just install PPT '07 and
either overwrite PPT '97 or a side-by-side install without touching any of
your '97 programs.

Hope this helps.  Anything else please free to post back.

0
LVTravel
4/10/2010 7:36:09 PM
In article <B063F5F6-9997-49FA-A2BD-EB082EAFB9EF@microsoft.com>, RichardH wrote:
> I dread asking this in case someone descends on me like a ton of bricks and
> says the answer is in the posts already! -

Not likely; any posts about '97 probably scrolled off years ago.  ;-)

As LVTravel says, PPT 97's still a fast, lean machine and it'll work fine on XP.

If you don't need to stay compatible with PPT 2007 users, ignore everything
below this line:

===============================

The only caveat I'd add is that if you need to exchange presentations with PPT
2007 users and both sides need to edit the work, I'd seriously consider getting
2007.  Moving the presentations back and forth can cause messes.

Creating presentations in 97 and playing them back in 2007 should be fine.

If you get presentations from PPT 2007 users, you'll have to get them to save
the presentations to PowerPoint 97-2003 format.  If you have PPT 2000 and up you
can download a free converter that enables you to open the PPT 2007 files, but
the converter won't install into PPT 97.

>but i I have never used the PP 97
> which came with the MS Office 97 Pro Edit I have installed on my computer
> which uses Win XP with Ser Pack 3.
> I am about to embark on using PowerPoint for the FIRST time and wonder
> whether I should, before anything else, acquire a more up to date version
> first - and one that will work problem free with my XP - which version should
> I go for and will it, on loading, overwrite and replace the Powpoint I
> already have and still operate with the rest of the Office 97 Pro Edit
> components I have installed?
> Thanks , Richard H.

0
Steve
4/11/2010 3:46:08 PM

"Steve Rindsberg" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message
> In article <B063F5F6-9997-49FA-A2BD-EB082EAFB9EF@microsoft.com>, RichardH
> wrote:
>> I dread asking this in case someone descends on me like a ton of bricks
>> and
>> says the answer is in the posts already! -
>
> Not likely; any posts about '97 probably scrolled off years ago.  ;-)
>
> As LVTravel says, PPT 97's still a fast, lean machine and it'll work fine
> on XP.
>
> If you don't need to stay compatible with PPT 2007 users, ignore
> everything
> below this line:
>
> ===============================
>
> The only caveat I'd add is that if you need to exchange presentations with
> PPT
> 2007 users and both sides need to edit the work, I'd seriously consider
> getting
> 2007.  Moving the presentations back and forth can cause messes.
>
> Creating presentations in 97 and playing them back in 2007 should be fine.
>
> If you get presentations from PPT 2007 users, you'll have to get them to
> save
> the presentations to PowerPoint 97-2003 format.  If you have PPT 2000 and
> up you
> can download a free converter that enables you to open the PPT 2007 files,
> but
> the converter won't install into PPT 97.
>

>>but i I have never used the PP 97
>> which came with the MS Office 97 Pro Edit I have installed on my computer
>> which uses Win XP with Ser Pack 3.
>> I am about to embark on using PowerPoint for the FIRST time and wonder
>> whether I should, before anything else, acquire a more up to date version
>> first - and one that will work problem free with my XP - which version
>> should
>> I go for and will it, on loading, overwrite and replace the Powpoint I
>> already have and still operate with the rest of the Office 97 Pro Edit
>> components I have installed?
>> Thanks , Richard H.

Just installed Office '97 Professional on a  Win 7 Pro laptop I am setting
up (from Win XP Pro SP 3) and it runs great (all programs except Outlook) as
long as you use the compatibility for Win XP SP3.  Could not get it run
reliably on Vista Ultimate.  No problem, just a comment.

0
LVTravel
4/11/2010 5:07:14 PM
Win7 - bring it on.
,-)

0
Steve
4/12/2010 7:44:44 PM

"Steve Rindsberg" wrote:

> Win7 - bring it on.
> ,-)
>
> .
> Thanks for your advice which was most helpful - RichardH

Items Wont deled because of PO's
Ok, I am trying to delete some items from my inventory & I get a massage that “the Item can’t be deleted because it is in use by PO or item receipt, Archive the item instead” I only have about 3 PO’s in my DB & I am trying to get rid of those because they aren’t real PO’s, they were created by accident. How can I delete these Items, & these POI’s that have been closed? -- Thanks! David D. L.S.B. ...

can't apply Office 2008 1224 update
List members: I regrettably was talked into reinstalling Office 2008 for the Mac on my Intel Mac running OS 10.6.2. Everything is fine except that I can't get Office 2008-1224 Update to apply. My HD appears with a yellow triangle over it, saying the update is inapplicable. I've tried trashing the product ID as Microsoft's web page suggests; no luck. No trial copies of Office anywhere on my HD. Would appreciate any advice; thanks in advance. - Mark Pavlick This is identical to the problem I reported on 25 March (Installing Office 2008). In my case the prob...

Norton 360 problem with XP
I have a weird problem with XP and Norton 360. Of course Norton denies anything to do with it ! First, when the system shuts down, There are processes that refuses to go away. As they are ccsvchst, my guess is that they are Norton's Second, every 5 or so reboot, I get weird 'Disk Errors', practically every time in a Norton file (Lightningsand.cfd). Seagate told me that my disc unit was failing...; But I changed the disc, rebuild XP, and compressed everything... Problem still there, in the 'documents and setting' area... Any idea ? (Get rid of Norton is th...

Microsoft Office X cannot start because MS Office is already in use
Sometimes Entourage 10.1.4 shows the message: "Microsoft Office X cannot start because MS Office is already in use. A Office program is being used by MYNAME. Your installation exceeds..." It's crazy because I'm the only user with OSX (10.3.2) and Office X is installed only on my Mac!!! It seems that it happens when Entourage run scheduled actions (i.e. Send and Receive). Pls help me. Thanx. -- Buz ...

Archive folders and PST's
Hello, Need some advice on the proper way to store and archive emails through Outlook 2007. I have about 40 end users that keep every email that they ever received. I can't change what they do because they are consultants and they need this for record keeping. I noticed that they have many archive folders and some have a combo of PST and archives or just pst. I know that having many archive folders and pst folders will slow the performance of Outlook 2007 down. What is a better solution for people. Oh and they don't want to save it to the server and remove it f...

It's twins!!! Two sets of personal folders!!
I had to re-install outlook and reloaded my .pst file. My inbox got all the mail back but my contacts didnt come back. I imported the pst file and now i have double!! It wont let me get rid of either. What do I do now?? TIA Terri ...

Combined line-scatter graph with 2 Y-axis messed up
I have a chart in Excel 2007 (under XP sp3) with 2 line (L1 & L2) and 2 scatter series (S1 & S2, representing means of respectively L1 and L2 datapoints). Both L-points are located at last datapoint-position. X-values are formatted as 'Genereal'. Both L1 and S1 are referenced to 1st Y-axis, only L2 to 2nd Y-axis. Here's where the error comes in. When I reference S2 also to Y2, it looks ok until I saved the sheet and reopen it, After reopening, THE CHART IS GONE ! AFTER PREVIEW, IT REAPPEARS BUT THE FORMAT IS TOTALLY MESSED UP ?! Both Y-axes are shrinken and L2 and ...

Problems with Windows XP updates
Downloaded automatic updates have (4) times caused my computer to not restart. Could not start in safe mode to access restore point. Could not reboot to last known good configuration. Had to repair OS and decided to turn off auto updates. I'm now missing too many updates but it's pointless to download updates - mess up my computer - do repair and have the same thing happen again. Any suggestions? The original Windows XP came installed on my computer, but I did buy a backup CD from Microsoft - this is the CD I've used to do OS repairs. My computer summary is li...

Conditional Cell protection #2
I would like to blank and protect certain cells depending on a value in one cell (A1). If, e.g. the value in cell A1 is 6, then the users are only allowed to enter values in the first 6 weeks for that year (=first 6 columns in the table). In order to avoid problems I would like to erase all existing data in columns 7--> and then lock these cells. Any ideas how to do this? ...

Great Plains Standard Edition, MSDE, SQL 2K
I have a reseller telling me that Great Plains Standard can only be used with MSDE. The fact sheet for Great Plains Standard obtained from here http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions/GreatPlains/factsheets.mspx says on page 3 says that you can use MSDE or SQL 2K. What's the truth? GP Standard can use SQL Server 2000 if it is running on Windows Small Business Server Premium 2003. If you tried to use SQL Server on a standard Windows Server, the reg keys won't work. "sroussy@astreetpress.com" <sroussyastreetpresscom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

When deleting an email, it's so fast, it deletes the next email t.
I just started using Outlook 2003 (on a new computer at work). When deleting an email, it's so fast, it deletes the next email too. Is there anyway to change a setting so it doesn't automatically delete emails so fast. I end up undeleting every email... just so I can check to make sure I haven't accidentally deleted something I haven't read yet. I've looked at the mouse settings, but they are set on the slower end. HELP. Thanks, Kathy :) Kathy <Kathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just started using Outlook 2003 (on a new computer at work). When ...

licensing #2
Hello, can someone tell me the answer to my question, I"ve looked on the microsoft website with no luck or havn't found any information as of yet anyway. I'm new to the IT business, and work for myself as an IT professional repairing, upgrading, & troubleshooting pc's & networks, and my question is; is there a special license I can get so that when I do upgrades and upgrade the OS I could just have one package and install on many machines, versus going out and buying a new package for each pc which is time consuming and sometimes difficult to find, depending o...

Clarks Women's Brightwood Pump
Price:$99.95 Image: http:///image.php?id=B00188CYWK Best deal: http:///index.php?id=B00188CYWK This shoe is very pretty with it's detailing, however, don't expect the typical Clark feel, as it provides no cushion, and the material is inflexible with walking. Overall, I still like the shoe, I just don't wear it when there is a lot of walking to be done, or for long periods. These shows are not at all as comfortable as I had anticipated. The leather is too hard and the cut of the show is not ample enough in the front for relaxed wearing. Even though my feet are in great sha...

Office 2010 for Mac
Dear friends: A local dealer is offering me Office 2010 for Mac. Does this product has been released? Thanks Juan I. Cahis Santiago de Chile (South America) Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it! On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 13:45:06 -0300, Juan I. Cahis <jiclbchSINBASURA@attglobal.net> wrote: >A local dealer is offering me Office 2010 for Mac. Does this product >has been released? It hasn't been released yet. Everything I've read indicates a late 2010 release date. >Thanks >Juan I. Cahis >Santiago de Chile (Sout...

The Okopochini Bug #2
Type (in a column) these numbers into MS Excel 2002 with SP2 applied & see what answer you get (I think this should work within any version of excel but don't quote me). 799.06 -525 -179.19 -47 -43.51 -4.36 Select the summation (Sigma) icon to add the numbers together. Answer = -5.06262E-14 when it should be zero! Why's that? mmmmmmm. The Okopochini Bug has arisen! Regards David Okopochini :-) Seems to work that way in Excell 2000 also. >-----Original Message----- >Type (in a column) these numbers into MS Excel 2002 with SP2 applied & >see what answer you get (...

troble in real player #2

Custom dictionary not available #2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I receive the message every time I try to check a word that the "custom dictionary is not available." I have tried the fixes recommended by others and they have not worked. Keyes@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) > > I receive the message every time I try to check a word that the "custom dictionary is not available." I have tried the fixes recommended by others and they have not worked. Hi, You have to activate the custom dictionary before you...

Filter for time elapsed between 2 columns
I have Planned Start Time And Actual Start Time I only want to return records where the Planned Start Time is equal to or less than 48 hours from the Actual Start Time Thanks for your help I assume that this time fields include also the date, other wise you can't know the different between two times unless they are both on the same day, which mean up to 24 houres In the query create another column that calculate the different between the two fields HoursDiff: DateDiff("h",[Start Time],[Actual Start Time]) That will return the different in hours, under that field create t...

I can not use the Templates downloaded from Office Online
My Visio Version is 2002. I find that the Templates provided on the Office Online are for Office 2003.When I tried to open the Visio templates downloaded with Visio 2002,error occured. Any template available for Visio 2002?Where can I get it? Thanks in advance Microsoft has an interest in pushing the 2003 content. Perhaps you have a friend with 2003 that can save them in the older format for you? You might lose some features of the templates, but it will work to some extent. -- Hope this helps, Chris Roth Visio MVP "�췽" <cnpcpnnpc@hotmail.com> wrote in message n...

Print contacts #2
I would like my notes to appear when I print my address book from Outlook. Thanks. Add the notes field to the view you are using for your Contacts folder, and then when you print, you should see your notes. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:12fae01c3f693$82e8b4e0$a501280a@phx.gbl, RWhite wrote: > I would like my notes to appear when I print my address > book from Outlook. > > Thanks. ...

Office:mac 2008 update won't finish installing
Install always ends in Setup Assistant Error: An error report is issued, and that's as far as it goes. I have a legit version of 10.1 with the install CD. Ideas? On 3/3/08 5:46 PM, in article ee8f97e.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Tim_Kirkwood@officeformac.com" <Tim_Kirkwood@officeformac.com> wrote: > Install always ends in Setup Assistant Error: An error report is issued, and > that's as far as it goes. I have a legit version of 10.1 with the install CD. The Setup Assistant is not necessary. Just to be clear you have an Office 2008 install CD. This is Office 12...

Multiple recipients #2
When mailing to multiple recipients, I want only their name to appear, but once they print, keep each recipients' addresses blocked. How can this be done without sending to myself and all other recipients a BCC? Mail merge. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, stellar asked: | When mailing to multiple recipients, I want only their name to | appear, but once they print, keep ea...

How do you replace a work sheet in excel with a word document?
I want a worksheet in excel to be a word document. Using the embedding application will not suffice. Basically Sheet 1 will not have columns and rows but will be a word document. Sheet 2 will be a wordsheet. Why the need? Basically if word and excel can be saved in the same work book, in respect of project work it would be time saving, efficient and effective. Assuming you also don't want to (or can't due to your version) create a binder, consider this approach: 1. Select and copy the text in your Word document. 2. Switch to Excel and select A1 on a blank worksheet. 3. Select Ed...

activate/deactivate macro depending on who's the user
in my office we have a shared drived folder that is used by different users,we store excel worksheets in the shared folder. Each user have to log in to the PC with a different ID to start using the it. I need a macro to automatically hide/unhide rows in the excel worksheet depending on who the user is. How should i write the macro? Please help. Hi Anna This should get you started Sub UnHideCols() Dim user As String user = Environ("Username") With Sheets("Sheet1") ' you have to leave at least 1 column visible on a sheet '...

CTreeCtrl editing problems
Is it possible to use a CTreeCtrl in a dialog based application such that when a user hits return it stops editing and doesn't bring down the dialog? Also, can one selectively allow editing on some labels, and not others? Forgive the questions if they're dumb, but for the life of me I can't figure this one out. Code samples are greatly appreciated. Scott "Sculi2000" <scott@swampwolf.com> wrote in message news:c25ead24.0310012305.4aadeaa7@posting.google.com... > Is it possible to use a CTreeCtrl in a dialog based application such > that when a user hits r...