Office 2000 (Delay to open Files)

Greetings,

I'm having a challenge on a particular computer opening any office
documents. If we double click the file to open it (network or local source)
it shows the hour glass for what feels like hours - it may eventually open,
sometime we give up.

Now, if we open the application first (i.e.: Excel) then go to File-> Open
and select any file it opens immediately.  I've had this problem before, the
only solution I could find at the time was wipe the machine and start over. I
tried a repair or re-installation of Office, no change.

Windows XP SP3
Office 2000 SP3
Office Outlook 2003 SP3

Try this first, let us know how it goes

Excel opens without displaying a workbook
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211494

Chris wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm having a challenge on a particular computer opening any office
> documents. If we double click the file to open it (network or local source)
> it shows the hour glass for what feels like hours - it may eventually open,
> sometime we give up.
>
> Now, if we open the application first (i.e.: Excel) then go to File-> Open
> and select any file it opens immediately.  I've had this problem before, the
> only solution I could find at the time was wipe the machine and start over. I
> tried a repair or re-installation of Office, no change.
>
> Windows XP SP3
> Office 2000 SP3
> Office Outlook 2003 SP3

0
Bob
2/2/2010 1:37:30 PM
Negative on that option :P
Here is the other one I have

If the problem is ONLY when you double-click on a file to open it. the
problem is likely due to DDE. It can be fixed by reinstalling, OR this
workaround.

Go to Control Panel, Folder Options, File Types, scroll down to and
select (DOC for Word files) or XLS (for Excel files), click Advanced,
select Open entry, click the edit Button.
Now uncheck "Use DDE" and then put your cursor in the Application box,
arrow all the way to the right and put in "%1" (include the quote
marks), IF there is /dde remove it. Then OK your way out. Things should
work quickly again.

Chris wrote:
> Negative on that option :P

0
Bob
2/2/2010 10:05:55 PM
Thank you Bob. I will try this out a little later.

On a side note, I see a pop-up window when I open the majority of word
documents from this machine. It's really quick so I'm not sure what it says.
It looks as if it says: "Teamcenter menu added"

I tried to see if anything was in Templates and Addons (see: DDMENU.dot) but
unchecking it does not seem to change anything, it appears again.

I doubt it has relation to the problem, however would be nice to know how to
enable / disable these.

Regards,
Chris
Review the links below to see if you recognize any of the mentioned
software that may have been installed on the PC.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Teamcenter+menu+added+Office&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&oq=

Chris wrote:

> Thank you Bob. I will try this out a little later.
>
> On a side note, I see a pop-up window when I open the majority of word
> documents from this machine. It's really quick so I'm not sure what it says.
> It looks as if it says: "Teamcenter menu added"
>
> I tried to see if anything was in Templates and Addons (see: DDMENU.dot) but
> unchecking it does not seem to change anything, it appears again.
>
> I doubt it has relation to the problem, however would be nice to know how to
> enable / disable these.
>
> Regards,
> Chris

0
Bob

RNDIS .INF file signing process
I would like to know what is the best procedure to follow up, in order to sign our .INF file that uses the RNDIS Windows driver. The idea is to eliminate the prompt-message raised at installation time by Windows saying that the driver was not validated by Windows Logo Program.The .INF file points only to already installed .sys Windows files for RNDIS. Thank You! ...

cant open my saved documents
I cant seem to open my saved documents! I know they are still there cause when i go to save us they all come up in my folder but when i try to open them my folder is empty? please help!! From the file > open dialog. Change the type of files to 'All Files'. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>...

Project Server file versions
In Project Server 2007 is there a way to save off snapshots of a schedule? Currently we check our schedules into Sharepoint, which has file revision history built in, but Project Server 2007 doesn't seem to have a similar capability. I realize I can use baselining to track differences between points in a project history, but let's say for example I make a series of updates to a schedule, publish that project into Project Server, only to find out later that the situation has changed and I need to back out all those changes. How would I get back? I suppose one soluti...

Opening Attachments 02-02-10
Using Windows 7 and Outlook 2003 on a brand-new computer. Each time I want to open an attachment, it has a box asking if I want to be asked (obviously so a harmful document is not opened). The box "do not ask me this question again" already has a checkmark in it, but it is lightened in color and nothing that I can choose. How do I ensure that I can open documents without being asked this question each and every time I try to open an attachment? Thanks for any help you can give me. Check your other post for answers -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the...

Lost File Share #3
Before 15 January, I had 2 PC's set to share a calendar (via email). However, on 15 January, one of the PC's received the following message: "Oulook caused invalid page fault in module fldpub.dll at 015f:4c51a697". I went to the support page and printed the resolutions for that error. However, since then, the calendar does not share. How can I share (via email) again? One of the PC's is a laptop and is only connected to the network during the day (that is why I am/was sharing the calendar via email versus putting the calendar on the shared drive of the net...

Can't open account.
Why won't my Mac 10.4.11 using safari as browser open my account? Safari version 3.0.4 Inasmuch as this Newsgroup is dedicated to the software program, MS Access, you're not likely to get any answers here to Safari or Mac problems. Try posting into a newsgroup which supports, Mac, and/or Safari. Also, you wuld probably get a better answer if you specify WHICH account you are trying unsuccessfully to open. Best of luck. "sebe" <sebe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:577461D2-FF7F-425F-8F23-BBBFC3F819F6@microsoft.com... > > Why won't my...

Can't Open Canlendar or Contacts
Office Pro XP (2002) was just installed. We are trying to open Outlook to access its Calendar & Contacts applications. We DO NOT want Outlook to be our default email location (Outlook Express has been selected). When we click on the Outlook icon (or open from the Programs folder), we get the message: "Unable to open default email system. Try again." When we "try again," we get the message: "Would you like to open default File System folder?" When answering "yes," the "My Computer" files open in Outlook. At the same time, we get th...

Microsoft Office 2000 Publisher
On my old computer using Windows 98 I had Publisher and some .pub files. On my new computer using XP, I loaded the Office Suite, but I no longer see Publisher. I still have the other Office programs, but even Setup doesn't show Publisher anymore. I need Publisher to see and work with my .pub files, but can't. How do I get Publisher back? Which version and edition of Office did you try to install? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "GJ" <GJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

My screen in Publisher 2000 is green. How do I get it back to norm
I opened up an exisiting document and the whole window area is green. When going in to the colour menus the basic colour palette has the same green overlay on each colour block. this is only happening in this document and not in any other files. The monitor settings are all normal and everything else looks normal. The document is used for a website, and when using the web page preview, the webpage is normal in the explorer window (coreect colours etc). Please help! I can send screen shots if that woudl help anyone solve this for me! Trinity wrote: > I opened up an exisiting document...

where can I find CWinApp file in a regular dll (not extension) wizard created project
Hi. I created a dll using the regular (not extension) dll wizard in vc++ 6.0. I was wondering where I can find this CWinApp file so I can put initialization code and exit code in it? I don't see it in the file view and of course I am not very experienced with this ide. thanks for probably the obvious. Jeff Kish If it is not an MFC DLL, it probably doesn't have a CWinApp class. Find In Files is a useful tool to know about. Look for DllMain. See what it does on entry. If it doesn't call InitInstance, then you don't have a CWinApp class. joe On Wed, 02 May 2007 1...

Restoring Backup pst files
I backed up my Outlook files and want to bring them back into Outlook. I attempted to import them from the backup location only to be informed that I don't have permission to do this. The whole point of backing them up was to restore them after a recent upgrade of my OS. Can anyone advise me how this can be done. I need to access the emails and contacts. Do not use the import feature. Simply copy back the pst-file from you backup location to a convenient place such as My Documents\Outlook. If this is from a read only location such a CD or DVD, make sure the "Read Onl...

import fixed-length text file into excel
- 2 2299 Del Pietro M Wintervill NC 1:18:26 2:44:0 2:44:11 6:16 - 1 2045 Robert Marchinko M Salisbury NC 1:15:34 2:31:1 2:31:20 5:47 I have a text file where each field starts at same column and of th same length in each record. I tried cut&Paste, I tried opening it in excel as a tab delimited file I tried as a fixed-length file None of these worked. Data came in scrambled or into scrunched columns If the data were a table then cut&paste works great. What's the secret in loading above 2 records into Excel? I couldn' simulate the look ...

Why with Excel Xp takes too much time to open and in 2003 fast?
I have 2 computers, in one I have Excel XP (2002) and in the other I have Excel 2003, I've been receiving files wich I need to check with my Excel XP, the problem is that it takes too much time to open, and when I try to open it with Excel 2003 it open normaly (fast). What can I do? Urgent, please I will thank you to send answer : eguevara2000@hotmail.com Thanks ________________________ Tengo 2 computadoras, una con Excel Xp (2002) y la otra con 2003, he recibido archivos pero con Excel XP tarda mucho tiempo en abrir los archivos, mientras que en 2003 lo hace normal (rapido), a ...

opening pdf attachment
When getting an email with a pdf attachment, it does not open as a pdf, it only shows a bunch of characters. PDF's do open when they are not sent through an email. ...

Printing from Outlook 2000
My office clients run are on NT 4.0 SP 5. What used to be an occasional problem over the last couple of years of losing a printer connection is now happening with much greater frequency. This happen to local printing as well as from the network. All our printers are HP models. User send e-mails to print and can get the following behaviour, . A) The item doesn't print B) The default printer is grayed out and cannot be changed C) Always fails using the icon, sometimes using the File menu is a workaround, but not consistent. The only solution so far is to logout of Outlook and ba...

MS Office 12 Event ID: 5000
I am consistently seeing this error pertaining to MS Office 2007 on two Windows 2003 terminal servers. The error is as follows: Event Type: Error Event Source: Microsoft Office 12 Event Category: None Event ID: 5000 Date: 12/15/2009 Time: 4:35:52 PM User: N/A EventType office12asserttimer, P1 p1ml, P2 12.0.6425.0, P3 1, P4 0, P5 NIL, P6 NIL, P7 NIL, P8 NIL, P9 NIL, P10 NIL. I have Googled this problem, but can't find a workable solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Very strange, we've started to have the same issue, since yesterday 15 decemb...

saving an imported file as xl template
I have an excel template and i imported data from another application how do i save it to that template? I do this everyday. Thanks Dakota Are you looking for a macro suggestion? If yes, then try recording a macro when you do it once. Post back with some more details if you get stuck. dakota wrote: > > I have an excel template and i imported data from another > application how do i save it to that template? I do this > everyday. > > Thanks > Dakota -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

File Sharing
I have been trying to set up a folder to share on my home network. I go through the procedure and click done, but the folder does not show up as being shared. (I do not get the little icon on the folder). When I try to see it from the other computer it is not there. The printers are all there, and the windows preset folder are there. I disabled password and made sure that file and print sharing were enabled. The only computer I am having the problem with is the VISTA computer. The XP and Win7 work fine. Where am I going wrong? Thanks in advance Chris "Chris...

How to Microsoft Publisher 2000 install with XP
How do I install Microsoft Publisher from the total Office 2000 CD on my new laptop running XP Professional? I need full instructions. From what has been stated here in the past, put CD #2 in the CD drive and follow the instructions. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Bev" <Bev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A3E6D722-A5B2-49E7-9BC6-1DC958BB5A15@microsoft.com... > How do I install Microsoft Publisher from the total Office 2000 CD on my > new > laptop running XP Professional? I need full instructions. ...

How to copy a file from a disk to a specified sector of another di
Hi, I want to perform the following operations given below. 1. Read a file from a disk 2. Write the same file to another disk 3. In the second disk the written file should be on the same cylinder/track/sector as it is on the first disk. Hoping to get a reply soon. TIA. regards, Jahfer V P. you can't do this at a file level. Thanks Vipin "Jahfer V P" <Jahfer V P@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:846B7A49-C2FC-405C-8B96-4CF48356717A@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I want to perform the following operations given below. > > 1. Read a file fro...

Web Browser Control on MFC View will crash application when view is destroied after loading XML file
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C61216.9AE57FB0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Dynamically create an web browser control and put it on a view in a MDI = application. Navigate the control to a XML file on the local machine, = with style sheets in the same directory. Then, after closing the view, = the application will crash in about 2 minutes. And it consistantly = throws an exception at this line in wincore.cpp // call original wndproc for default handling if (bCallDefault) lRes...

Open and Close external window
I am trying to open a help window, keep a handle on the window, so I can navigate to certain topics, then close it again later. I have the following code sitting behind a menu option: if (!m_wndHelp) { m_wndHelp = ::HtmlHelp(GetSafeHwnd(), cHelpFile, HH_DISPLAY_TOC , NULL); } else { if (IsWindow(m_wndHelp)) // make sure window is still valid { BOOL answer = ::DestroyWindow(m_wndHelp); DWORD words = GetLastError(); ::CloseWindow(m_wndHelp); m_wndHelp = NULL; } } The help window opens just fine, but the DestroyWindow call returns error code 5 - access denied. Is there an easier ...

Archive file size #2
Yesterday, I decided to split my archive file that is around 1.2gb size. So I created a new archive file (old archive.pst), and archived archive.pst to that. It all seemed to work, but the size of the original file is to all intents and purposes the same! How can that be? I thought archiving MOVED the files rather than copying them. Can anyone tell me what is going on and how to reduce the size of my original archive file? Many thanks rdc You need to compact the PST file after removing items out of it. This is done by right clicking on the top folder ("personal folders&q...

Chart disappears in Excel 2000 after scale is changed
When the scale of the chart is changed, the chart disappears. The chart and its data are on the same worksheet. ...

Excel Link to another Excel file and formulas
I have a formula that I want to "fill" down through my spreadsheet ='I:\filepath\[filename.xls]worksheet!$B$5 When I fill the formula down it does not change the reference. e.g. ='I:\filepath\[filename.xls]worksheet!$B$6 ='I:\filepath\[filename.xls]worksheet!$B$7 ='I:\filepath\[filename.xls]worksheet!$B$8 Everything remains as referencing $B$5 How can I get around this issue? Thanks, RICK The problem is that your use of an absolute reference is holding the cell reference constant. Try changing the $B$5 to: $B5 if you want to keep the column set as B as you...