My insert key won't work in Microsoft Word Office 2007. Why?

I do a lot of typing over current words to replace them with new words or
names.  In office word 2003, I just hit insert and typed like normal and it
replaced the old words with new ones.  2007 will not do anything.  Why?

Because the method of over-writing is changed in Office 2007.  You need
to do this in WORD 2007:

1) Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then at the bottom of the
dialog, click Word Options.

2) In the left pane, click Advanced.

3) Under Editing options, select or clear the Use overtype mode check
box

Let us know if this solved your problem.

hth

yvonne wrote:

> I do a lot of typing over current words to replace them with new words or
> names.  In office word 2003, I just hit insert and typed like normal and it
> replaced the old words with new ones.  2007 will not do anything.  Why?
0
EN59CVH
3/4/2010 10:07:54 PM
"yvonne" <yvonne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I do a lot of typing over current words to replace them with new words or
> names.  In office word 2003, I just hit insert and typed like normal and
> it
> replaced the old words with new ones.  2007 will not do anything.  Why?

Click Office Orb, Word Options, Advanced, and ensure that a check mark is in
the box for "Use the Insert key for overtype mode.  I believe that it is
turned off by default in Office 2007 and in Office 2010 Beta.

Let us know if that fixes your problem.

0
LVTravel

Appending Excel data into an Access table while inserting the file name
I have a loop in an Access 2003 database that appends records from multiple Excel files within a given directory. The name of each Excel file cycles through one variable (ImpFileName) as its records are imported, but I also need to add the Excel file name to each record. I wanted to assign the value of ImpFileName to the DefaultValue property of the FileName field in the table as part of the DoWhile loop, but something is wrong with my syntax. My code is below, but only works if I comment out the line that assigns the DefaultValue property. Any help would be much appreciated! Dim tdf...

outlook 2007 calendar week view
Hi, I am using mostly the calendar in week view, settings 1 week mo-su workday 8am till 10 pm, time scale 60 min which (almost) gives me a full view of my week. Although I like the improvements to outlook, what unbelievably irrates me is the fact that when move back and forth to this view it always shows (scrolls) to 2am as a starting time (I am not a morning person, and I will in 99.99999% of the cases have nothing going on before 7am so all what comes earlier is completely useless to me. Is there anyway to changes this so I can see all till midnight (I do stuff late evening) without...

don't insert quotes in excel save as tab-delim txt
I wish to export from an excel spreadsheet file to a tab-delimited text file - WITH NO QUOTES around any of the entries. They are not necessary, because tabs - not commas are the delimiters. I was quite disappointed that from changing to the older version of excel, which had a configurable export function, where I could specify "no quotes please" to excel 2000, I cannot specify this. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the...

Microsoft Error Report on OneNote 2010 Beta: Detail Included
Microsoft Office 2010 Beta OneNote One original notebook and several of the included templates Original notebook is password protected. On startup of OneNote 2010, the first page of the original notebook appears, along with the grey screen where you are supposed to click to enter your password. Before I get a chance to click to enter the password, the following message appears: Microsoft OneNote has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. The information you were working on might be lost. Microsoft OneNote can try to recover it f...

Reinstalling Office v X after reinstalling all software #2
The hard drive crashed/broke (Mac mini). Got new hard drive. Installed OS (10.3.7) and applications, etc. from system disk. Went to reinstall Office v X and I find out it's an UPDATE disk and wants the original application folder! I must assume that Office for Mac .."TEST"? was it?... came installed on the Mac, but it doesn't show up after the re-install. How do I get Office v X back on my computer? Thanks for any help. ...

Help with word Macro
I'm in need of a macro to help me format upwards of 10000 word files. I have the two macros I will need to format each word doc, but I would like to automate this further by running it on a directory (including sub-directories). I'm not very familar with VBA so I'm stumbling through it. these reports will either have 4 or 5 inline images and each will have to be treated a little dirfferently. I have created the macros for those two situations. Sub ChooseMacro() ' ' Macro3 ChooseMacro ' Macro created 3/24/2010 by tith ' Determines which macro to ...

hairpulling-trouble with pasting a chart into word
Hi there, I do hope someone can help me - I'm going nuts. When I do this job at work, there is no problem at all, so am confuse why my laptop at home won't play ball. I have made sure (at least think I have) that all the settings are the same. I have a word document open and an excel sheet with the chart I want t copy into word, I uncheck the 'size with window' box (from tools>option - chart tab), yet, the second I paste into word it - sizes with th window, into a squished chart. What am I doing wrong? any help would be appreciated, Flos -- flos -------------------------...

I'-m g5etting5 spaces and numbers in my words indiscriminately.
Wh6en I type on my laptop numbers indiscriminately come up in my words like th6e in th6e words of th6is sentence. It sounds like either you're inadvertently pressing a number shift key, or your keyboard is going bad. Do you have an external USB keyboard you can connect to the laptop? If so, does the problem occur when using it, as well? (I'm assuming that the problem hasn't always occurred, and has recently begun, and that you've rebooted since the problem began.) -- Herb Tyson MS MVP Author of the Word Bible Blog: http://word.herbtyson.com Web: http://www....

Remove 'Non Commercial Use' in Office title bar
QUESTION: - How to easily & quickly remove the 'non commercial use' in the title bar for a newly installed version of office professional 2007? BACKGROUND I am running Windows 7 and have the Office Professional 2007 on dvd. My new laptop was pre-installed with office 2007. I did not un-install this, I just put in my new office 2007 professional dvd and completed the installation. Everything works, however, outlook (only outlook) displays the 'non-commercial use' in the title bar. I have no entry for office 2007 in the add/remove programs. The only entry i...

Outlook '03/IE 6.0 Hyperlinks do not work
** Please note that I did post this same question 2 days ago in the General Questions Board and have not received a reply - thought I may try, here, to see if anyone has any input. Thank you. ** Hello - I have Outlook 2003 (SP 1) and Internet Explorer 6.0 (SP 2). I have updates automatically, but, have also gone in to check for any updates and I do not need any. When I click a link in "O.L." (Outlook), the screen goes white, the title bar is still at the top of my page - however, I now see the title of the email PLUS Not Responding. I have to do the 3-finger to get ou...

Outlook 2007: Ctrl+Backspace spits out squares rather than deletes words
I noticed this in the beta release but shrugged it off as a beta bug. I see now that I should have reported it as a bug because it seems to have been rolled out in the RTM release. I have gotten into the habit of hitting Ctrl+Backspace to undo entire words of recently typed text. This is a great time saver. Unfortunately, in Outlook 2007, I am seeing the e-mail editor spit out squares (i.e. valueless Unicode character blocks). It's erratic; I can hold Ctrl down and keep hitting Backspace and it might create two squares, maybe five squares, maybe one, before it will finally "ca...

How can I put a slash in a zero in Office 97
How can I put a slash in a zero in Office 97 Find a font that supports slashed 0's. Google will help you find lots--some will be free, others not. I found this a long time ago: http://www.qsl.net/wa6axe/fonts.html rmpete wrote: > > How can I put a slash in a zero in Office 97 -- Dave Peterson Thanks, Dave, I found two fonts I like, AnonymousTT and Monaco, with slashed zeros. I also found that you can add a slash to Arial with ALT+0216. Thanks again "Dave Peterson" wrote: > Find a font that supports slashed 0's. > > Google will help you find lots--so...

Word count
Word 2003 Is there a way of counting the total words in a document, INCLUDING footnotes? hank you JB Please ignore post. I found the answer! JB "JB" <open@closed.com> escreveu na mensagem news:u0AuviooKHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Word 2003 > > Is there a way of counting the total words in a document, INCLUDING > footnotes? > > hank you > > JB > ...

Unable to open/expand the file menu
When in Word I am unable to open/expand the file menu. It just highlights the word "File" but nothing happens when I click on it. All other menu's work just fine. I have ran a detect/repair but that did not work. Any help would be appreciated. Go to Tools > Customize > Toolbars. Select "Menu Bar" in the list and click the Reset button. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. butter wrote: > When in Word...

ROW function does not work as expected
Hello, I am trying to conditionally format a cell based on two values: the value of another cell and the value of this cell itself. I am using the following: =IF(AND(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW();3))="B";D6>0);TRUE;FALSE) Check if in the current row at column 3 the value is "B" and if the value of this cell is greater than 0 This does work if I write it directly in a cell. If I use the exact same formula in the conditional formatting dialog, nothing happens. I learned that in Excel 2003 there was a bug concerning the INDIRECT and AND function (http://groups.google.de/group/m...

Photos don't appear after insertion into Publisher document
I can see the selection handles but the photo itself is not visible. It does not show up in print preview mode either. Thanks in advance. View, pictures, detailed display. If this doesn't do it, try it in safe mode, if it works then it is possible your video driver needs upgrading. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:76E6FDA8-EB3B-45BA-B494-129B02E44257@microsoft.com... >I can see the selection handles but the photo itself is not visi...

get spinning pinwheel when Word opens up...
Am running OS 10.3.6 (dual G5) with office 2004 academic version and all of a sudden when I open up word or Excel or powerpoint I the get an eternal pinwheel (I let it go overnight the other night). It seems to be hung up on "optimizing font menu". I've re-installed, but it didn't help. I put office v.X back on the computer and it runs fine. Anybody got any ideas? In article <1102690790.301771.21130@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, aaron@timecodenola.com wrote: > Am running OS 10.3.6 (dual G5) with office 2004 academic version and > all of a sudden when I ope...

shift bypass key and VB code
Is there any way to password protect my code in the event someone uses the shift bypass key? Any thoughts other than your Access security? "scott04" <scott04@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8580606E-60A0-449D-8B9A-A91EA6F3920F@microsoft.com... > Is there any way to password protect my code in the event someone uses the > shift bypass key? Any thoughts other than your Access security? The normal approach is to convert the application into an mde. (This pretty much means you'll have to split the database). You most certainly can, and should hide...

Help with inserting lines
I have cells in column A where it is written "Account" in some cells. what i want is that upon finding "Account" in cell A it inserts a lin below it and then find another text " Account" please help and another macro which upon finding "Customer" in column deletes tha entire ro -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following macro for inserting rows Sub insert_rows() Dim lastrow As Long Dim row_index As Long lastrow = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.count, "A").End(xlUp).row For row_index = lastrow - 1 To 1 Step -1 If l...

MICROSOFT OFFICE:mac 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) My MacBook Air froze while installing - got up to the "Running Launch Setup Assistant Installer script", Install time remaining:About a minute. What should I do? Disconnect the external disk and reboot at that stage. All necessary files should now have been copied to the Air. However, the Apple Installer used for the Setup can't cope with external drives on an Air while it runs. (I thought I saw a report that there was an update from Apple to fix that?) Anyway: If you disconnect the external drive and reboot, then att...

Microsoft Project Integration with Great Plains Project Accounting
I need to know whether is it possible to integrate Great Plains project accounting with Microsoft Project, and how does this can be done. Thanks in advance You should search the newsgroup. There have been multiple questions posted related to this topic and their is a common set of products available. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Mostafa Madkour" wrote: > I need to know whether is it possible to integrate Great Plains project > accounting with Microsoft Project, and how does this can be done. > > Thanks in advance ...

Can't Generate Out-of-Office Response
Using SBS 2000 with Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2002, when we set Outlook to generate an Out of Office response, none is generated. How can I rectify this? Thanks! Larry -- Larry Lentz, MCSE+Internet & W2K, MCDBA GoldMine Certified Professional Lentz Computer Services www.LentzComputer.Net Larry@LentzComputer.Net ...

Match Whole Word Only Advanced Find
Anyone know how I can match whole word only using advanced find? ...

urlmon.dll not compatible with Microsoft Oulook
I have installed Xp Pro SP2 and since then I get the following error when trying to open Microsoft Outlook 2003 (Microsoft Office 2003) urlmon.dll not compatible with Microsoft Outlook, reinstall Outlook I have reinstalled Microsoft Office 2003 and it doesn't fix the problem. All other Office products (excel, word, visio etc) work fine. Can you tell me where to get the correct version of urlmon.dll and where it should be located in windows. It is currenlty in windows/system32 .. but apparently it isn't the right version??? Thanks Dee <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

office 2007 excel
i want to customize my toolbar by adding two buttons like making a macro toolbar that has two options below it .can anyone help? Hi Thomas Take a look at Ron de Bruin's site http://www.rondebruin.nl/qat.htm -- Regards Roger Govier "thomas" <thomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4967D479-51D4-4770-8F3D-95C79FE0344B@microsoft.com... >i want to customize my toolbar by adding two buttons like making a macro > toolbar that has two options below it .can anyone help? ...