Moving Office 2007 settings from an XP machine to a Windows 7 ma

Recently built a new machine, and want to move settings (including
customizations and outlook rules, mailboxes and accounts) to the new machine.
As noted in the title, the old machine is an XP Pro box, the new machine is
running Windows 7. I’d rather not move macros and add-ins all at once
(something is causing a problem and I’d like to install one at a time), but
the Outlook set up and little tweaks (e.g., customization changes, style
sets) will be a PITA to redo manually.

I found a dizzying array of answers via Google, but none seemed to apply.
Wasn’t there a built-in tool a few years ago? Am I missing something simple?

Thanks,

Rhythm

You cannot move accounts, they are contained in the registry
Opening your old outlook data files, from within outlook, will retain its
data.
Do not use export/import
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

"Rhythmdvl" <Rhythmdvl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Recently built a new machine, and want to move settings (including
> customizations and outlook rules, mailboxes and accounts) to the new
> machine.
> As noted in the title, the old machine is an XP Pro box, the new machine
> is
> running Windows 7. I'd rather not move macros and add-ins all at once
> (something is causing a problem and I'd like to install one at a time),
> but
> the Outlook set up and little tweaks (e.g., customization changes, style
> sets) will be a PITA to redo manually.
>
> I found a dizzying array of answers via Google, but none seemed to apply.
> Wasn't there a built-in tool a few years ago? Am I missing something
> simple?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rhythm

0
DL
1/5/2010 12:15:58 AM

I'm shocked that this isn't straightforward. I found a page telling where
Office Outlook 2007 keeps files
(http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP100669141033.aspx) and was able
to copy them to the new machine, but nothin on accounts. I'm going to the
Outlook-specific forum for that.

> I'm shocked that this isn't straightforward. I found a page telling where
> Office Outlook 2007 keeps files
> (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP100669141033.aspx) and was
> able
> to copy them to the new machine, but nothin on accounts. I'm going to the
> Outlook-specific forum for that.

You will get the same answer. Office 2007 has not got the "Save My Settings"
utility that Office 2003 had. You will have to re-create the accounts
manually. Not usually a problem for 99.99% of users...

0
Gordon

IF Statement #7
I'm trying to create an IF statement whereby if a certain stock in my portfolio goes up for that day's activity, it will display a green up arrow; if it goes down, a stick person dangling at the end of a rope. (Just kidding about that one). The GIF pictures I want to use will be in the same subdirectory as the Excel spreadsheet. I'm using Excel 2003. Thanks in Advance!! Ron_D If you would care to use the WingDings font instead of a GIF, try this: =IF(K3>1," J",IF(H3>F3,"K","L ")) Then format the result as WingDings. You get either a smile...

Office XP Small Business
I have a Publisher 2000 file I'm attempting to open in what I believe is a Publisher 2002 version that came with my Office XP suite. It will not open and I get a "cannot open file" error message. What should I do to open the file? If you have that garbage trash junk rubbish Norton AV installed, that will cause your issues. REMOVING/UNINSTALLING Norton will fix the problem. Get a decent AV program like www.grisoft.com that causes no problems. The file could be corrupt. -- The US should free all those illegally held prisoners they are torturing, abusing and denying huma...

Accessing Windows Office Templates
There are some very nice templates at the Windows Office Template Gallery. I would like to download (mostly Word, but a few Excel) some of these templates, but the format comes out with a ".cab" extension that Office v.X doesn't understand. Is there any way to get these templates? Unfortunately, they make the Mac template archive look very weak. TIA Len Hi Len, Microsoft has a Mac template download page: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/resources/templates.aspx?pid=templates There's a link to the on-line gallery on that page. It looks like a newly re-designed gallery to m...

if cell is text move left one column

[ANN] Office 11.3.8 update

fiscal year setting question
hi. i know that the fiscal year settings get more or less set in stone, so i had a quick question before i set it for my org. in the template field, what is that used for? if i select 'quarterly', does that mean i can only run reports on a quarter basis? what if i wanted to do monthly reports? ultimately, my question is what is the 'template' field used for? thanks! Hi Jeff, Fiscal year setting must be aligned to your company's accountig policy. Fiscal year setting primarily defines sales quotas. When you set quarterly periods, you can set quarterly quotas for mem...

OWA. CA's. and Exchange 2007

Office 2007 forms

Outlook 2007 addresses
How can I find the list of addresses I have sent emails to? When you start a new email you can put a letter in the To line and list will come up. Where is that list? How can I print it out? Thanks Matt that is the autocomplete cache. You would need a utility to print it out. http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2004/20040621.htm http://www.slipstick.com/problems/nicknamecache.asp -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Out...

Outlook 2007 Install gone wrong

unable to read file #7

Office installation and Windows 7

SBS 2003 moving of users files

office don't remember to Provide feedback with sound
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3346246767_13130669 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit Has any body else have this problem? Every time I start an office 2008 application I have to mark the �provide feedback with sound� in the preferences again. Office apps mysteriously uncheck this option on their own. I remember this from 2004 and from X as well. Any one have any clue to why this is happening? Please Cc the answ...

Outlook set up
In MS Outlook 2002: When I send an email, it has my email address in the from field. People receiving it cant tell it is from me, and it gets deleted. How can I make MY NAME appear in that from field instead of my email address? On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:17:36 -0800, "etata" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In MS Outlook 2002: When I send an email, it has my email >address in the from field. People receiving it cant tell >it is from me, and it gets deleted. How can I make MY >NAME appear in that from field instead of my email address? Just a...

Moving Exchange #5

set print area #2

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files