Help Not Working Correctly in Office 2003 - Please Help...

Hello.  I've have Word and Excel 2003 installed on a machine running Windows
XP 64-bit Version.  When I enter a term in the Help windows in either
program, I get a complete listing of Help topics from Office Online as one
would expect.  However, when I click on any of the links I get one of several
failures, as follow:

1) the Help window will pop up, but it will be blank, or
2) a message telling me that "You chose to end a nonresponsive program,
Microsoft Office 2003 component. The program is not responding", or
3) a message stating "Error Starting MS Help"

I was, in one case using Word, able to get the Help window to popup normally
(i.e., not blank, but containing the requested information), but otherwise
the failures described above occur continuously.

Does anyone know how to get Help to work properly in a case like this?  If
so, please let me know.

Hope to hear from some folks soon and many thanks in advance for your help...