Email attachments opened, edited, saved, closed, and lost forever

I've had this happen several times:  I will open an email attachment, edit
it, save it, but not use the save as button, think I have saved it, but it is
only temporarily saved in a temporary file, close it and I'm told it is gone
and unretrievable.   It doesn't show up in the recently used documents
section of Word or Excel.  It's now the only place I ever lose large chunks
of data due to autosave--a welcome addition for a long-time veteran curser, I
mean user, of the home computer.

Suggestion:  Have a specific prompt or macro to go to "save as" when any
document is trying to save to a temp file.  Or prompt when closing and it's
in a temp file-- "you are going to lose any changes" like there are in other
places.

It is extremely frustrating!!!!  I have tried to remember but obviously have
not succeeded!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=a1cc6246-412d-46cb-a814-a9dc302181ee&dg=microsoft.public.office.misc

I agree. But you usually CAN find the document, took me ages to work it out ....
You need to do a couple of things. (Vista Word)

One: Reopen the attachment from the email
Two: Go to file, prepare, Properties
Three: In the upper right hand corner, you will see a file destination. Copy that
Four: Paste the destination into a navigation bar (found by right clicking the Start button and selecting "Explore All". This is the thing at the very top.)
Five: Start erasing (from right to left) the text until multiple options with similar file names appear. (If your attachment is called "Paper" you are looking for things called "Paper (1)" or "Paper (2)"
Six: Select files until you find the one you were editing.

Hope that helps!
6
Kirsty
3/25/2010 4:47:44 AM
Thank you very much for the suggestion, I tried it and it WORKED, when the
experts were saying that it could not be done.
Cleo

"Kirsty" wrote:

> I agree. But you usually CAN find the document, took me ages to work it out ....
> You need to do a couple of things. (Vista Word)
>
> One: Reopen the attachment from the email
> Two: Go to file, prepare, Properties
> Three: In the upper right hand corner, you will see a file destination. Copy that
> Four: Paste the destination into a navigation bar (found by right clicking the Start button and selecting "Explore All". This is the thing at the very top.)
> Five: Start erasing (from right to left) the text until multiple options with similar file names appear. (If your attachment is called "Paper" you are looking for things called "Paper (1)" or "Paper (2)"
> Six: Select files until you find the one you were editing.
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> ---
> frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.office.misc/Email-attachments-opened-edited-saved-closed-and-lost-forever
> .

Problems with creating a newsletter

Freeze Excel Spreadsheet till template open first then spreadsheet
Hi, When I export the data from Access 2002 to excel spreadsheet after select excel templates. I couldn't open the spreadsheet until i open the template and then closed the template. I open the spreadsheet where i get the data from Access 2002. It works. Here is the area that I have trouble with. 'Hide warnings on the spreadsheet ExcellApplication.DisplayAlerts = False 'Save the workbook ExcellApplication.ActiveWorkbook.Save 'Turn spreadsheet warnings back on ExcellApplication.DisplayAlerts = True 'Make it visible ExcellApplication.V...

Help, I cannot Save!

Attachments in Outlook 98
Hi there, my Organisation are using Exchange 5.5 SP4 and the client is Outlook 98. A mail is sent from an external source into our Organisation to 10 people. The mail has an XLS attached. For some reason 9 of the recipients get the attachment but the last one has no attachment and no reference to it in the mail she receives. I've checked all the Outlook settings I can think of, but am puzzled as to why this happens - checking the imc data from our Exchange I see that the correct RFC headers are present and that the user has the same reference as all the others in the header. Anyone any ide...

open two different Access reports

opening .pst archives

Excel Opens Without Displaying Workbook

Sending Email #6

opening a .docx with word 2004

Budget Wont Save
I have have Money 2002 for awhile and have never been able to save a budget and start a new one. I decided to start over with a new file, but once I get all my info back in there, it still won't save. MS has no info in the KB about this. Anyone else have this issue? ...

Effectively stoping open relay.
I have a client who started using exchange 2003 few days back. This client is having more than 12 subnets starting from 172.27.50.0, 172.16.0.0 to 172.27.0.0 and 10.172.172.0 & 10.172.173.0 subnets in different location in town which are conneted by DSL. This users are connecting to the Exchange server 172.16.5.25. Most of these users are POP3 users. I have 2 SMTP Virtual Server running. Default SMTP Virtual server 172.16.5.25 and the second for Externel. In the Mail connector I have added only the external as the local bridgehead server. In the relay properties of the internal I...

attachment previewers not installed?

.pdf save as settings