Compatibility Pack for Office 2007

This may be a stupid question, but...

We are in the process of migrating from Office 2003 to Office 2007. We had
deployed the Compatibility Pack to all our Office 2003 users a year or more
ago so they could read documents created outside our company.  My question
is...

Is there any need or value to keep the Compatibility Pack installed after
installing Office 2007?

Thanks,

Tom

0
Tom

In article <OP$RtKsmKHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, Tom K wrote:
> This may be a stupid question, but...
>
> We are in the process of migrating from Office 2003 to Office 2007. We had
> deployed the Compatibility Pack to all our Office 2003 users a year or more
> ago so they could read documents created outside our company.  My question
> is...
>
> Is there any need or value to keep the Compatibility Pack installed after
> installing Office 2007?

Only if you plan on leaving 2003 components installed side by side with 2007.

The compat pack allows previous versions of Office to open the new 2007 file
format files basically by installing the same functionality as the 2007 apps
already have ... the ability to back-save 2007 to 97-2003 format.

Since 2007 can open the newer files and older files AND can save back to the
older format, it has no need for the compat pack.

0
Steve
1/21/2010 7:12:37 PM
"Steve Rindsberg" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message
> In article <OP$RtKsmKHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, Tom K wrote:
>
> Since 2007 can open the newer files and older files AND can save back to
> the
> older format, it has no need for the compat pack.

That's what I was thinking, too.  Our vulnerability assessment software is
telling us we need to patch the Compat Pack.  I'd rather not do that if I
don't have to.

Thanks,

Tom

0
Tom

Need to export from outlook 2007 into Excel, include date and tim
Exporting from Outlook 2007 to either Excel or Access Need email information date sent not modified subject line to from http://www.codetwo.com/freeware/outlook-export/ Karl -- ____________________________________________________________ Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group ContactGenie - QuickPort/DataPort/Exporter/Toolkit/Duplicate Contact Mgr "Contact import/export/data management tools for Outlook '2000/2010" http://www.contactgenie.com "MicroMacroMicro" <MicroMacroMicro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B2AD2A0-7A64-45D7...

Backward compatibility
I have a friend with with windows 98 233mhz pII He is needing to work on Microsoft publisher files from his work.I dont know what version of publisher the files he will be bringing home will be. So that being said can you tell the backward compatibily starting at publisher 2003. Can he open and edit 2003 publisher files in publisher 2000 ? Can he open and edit 2003 publisher files in publisher 97.? If his work is using publisher 2000 ? Can he open files created in 2000 with publisher 97?. Thanks Can he open and edit 2003 publisher files in publisher 2000 ? No Can he open and edit 2003...

outlook 2007 cached mode question
With the cached mode a copy of the mailbox is stored locally. Does this mean that a user can go to another user's cached copy and open/read it? Each of my users has to be a local administrator because of a records management system we use, so each person's "private" folders are mapped to a shared network drive where security settings restrict access. If a local administrator would have access to the cached copies of mailboxes I would have to manually change the storage location. If I disable the cached mode what, if any, functionality do I lose? Bill Bill <trai...

Expression Calling Public Function In Access 2007
Hello Everyone, I have a perfectly functioning db in 2000-02 and 03. On a calendar form, that lives inside another form, I have all the day buttons OnClick event tied to an expression that points to a public function in the forms code container. Looks like this =ClickMe(11). Code Looks like this: Public Sub ClickMe(ByVal iLabelNum As Integer) DoCmd.Hourglass True Me.Repaint Call SelectDay(("lbl" & CStr(iLabelNum))) DoCmd.Hourglass False Exit Sub In Access 2007 (either in 2002 or converted to 2007), I receive an error: something about "The expression On Click you e...

Powerpoint 2007 Excel import change tab
Hi, The situation is as follows: Powerpoint template needs to import data from specific fields from within a tab in excel. This tab name changes depending on the client. Using the "paste Special" i can get the info imported fine. The part i have a problem with is changing the name of the tab to import different data.Powerpoint doesn't have an option under "Prepare>Edit Links To file" If anyone can suggest a solution even a macro to prompt the user to enter the name of the new sheet they want to pull the data from. The Execl file does not change ...

Resize Forms in Access 2007
I thought I read somewhere that Access 2007 had a new function, or something, enabling you to have forms automatically resize to fit the screen resolution of the user. Is this correct, or am I wrong? If I am correct, how do you use this feature? Thanks, BobV On Aug 9, 8:41 am, "BobV" <rk...@earthlink.net> wrote: > I thought I read somewhere that Access 2007 had a new function, or > something, enabling you to have forms automatically resize to fit the screen > resolution of the user. Is this correct, or am I wrong? If I am correct, how > do you use this feature?...

Office 2008 and Sharepoint
I hope I'm not beating a dead horse on this group, but I'm looking for information regarding Office 2008 and Sharepoint (or any of the other Office 2007 systems such as forms server, communications server, etc...). I've found information regarding MS's party line of "support for Universal Binary" and that it will support the new Open-XML standard but we are really looking for seamless compatability between Office 2007 and Office 2008 (besides the lack of VBA support). Thanks, In article <1172587805.521136.268290@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>, "Jason La...

AutoFormat not working in Word 2007 in Windows 7
I have just installed the Office 2007 suite on Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit edition. Almost everything works well, but I noticed that when I type quotes, Word 2007 is not automatically converting them from straight quotes to curly quotes. I have went into the Word Options and tried the setting both ways, but it makes no difference. I have made absolutely no changes to this installation, and this problem does not occur on my Windows Vista and Windows XP machines. The computer is virus-free (I have an antivirus solution running, I don't go to shady sites to begin with...

Outlook 2007 question
I installed outlook 2007 and now I try to customise it but I notice that the Tools/Opions and Tools/Customize menus are disabled. Why and how to enable them? thanks I notice now that the problem is more severe. I cannot reply to messages, save is not working. It seems that most of the functionality is disabled. I can receive emails but cannot answer them. Any clue? this is very bothering. Thanks! "YLY" wrote: > I installed outlook 2007 and now I try to customise it but I notice that the > Tools/Opions and Tools/Customize menus are disabled. Why and how to enable > t...

EHLO response 2007
How do i change the EHLO response in exchange 2007 (I can in 2003!), currently its showing servername.domain should be mail.domain i think its causing issues with some emails not getting throo cheers mark ...

Sync Outlook Notes 2007 with Exchange
I'm running Outlook 2007 and Exchange 2010. I use my notes in Outlook quite a bit, but my OWA or Active Sync on my mobile device doesn't give me a chance to sync notes anymore. I'm sure this is an exchange questions, but wondered if anyone knew of a fix? thanks Jason ...

Publisher 2007: How do I change dates on calendar page in newslet
I'm creating a newsletter. I added a calendar page. In previous versions of Publisher, I was able to get to Calendar Options to change the month. In Publisher 2007 when I insert a calendar page into a newsletter, I can no longer access the Calendar Options task pane. Please describe how to change the dates. The calendar wizard is broken. Hopefully it will be fixed in a future service pack. Meanwhile you will have to manually change the calendar dates. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Stephanie" &...

How the heck do I find tables, views, forms etc... in Access 2007
Can Access 2007 navigation be any more convoluted? I've been spending close to an hour trying to find a single table, query form, etc... now that the navigation has been changed. Is there a way to get the old style back? It does take some time - more than an hour :-) - to become familiar with the new interface in A2007 (NavPane, ribbon, ...) Suggestions: - The title bar at the top of the Nav Pane includes a tick box for: All Access Objects - Set Category to: Object Type - The categories (Tables, Queries, ...) collapse. - Show and use the Search Bar. It filters objects as...

Access 2007 SQL Pass Through Queries
I have an Access 2003 mdb that I use to connect to a SQL 2005 database. When I open the application in Access 2007 it errors on using SQL pass through queries. I see that pass through queries (amongst other options) have been disabled under Access 2007. However it seems that they are enabled under certain circumstances so I've been trying to get them working by changing the security settings. The queries are still failing after setting the following: - Sandbox Mode to 0 (turn off sandbox mode for all apps) - Applied a recognised Digital Signature - Trusted the Publisher - Trusted the loc...

File path not found in Outlook 2007
We have several users who have lately been receiving this error when they try to send an email from Outlook 2007. The machines are XP SP3, we are using Exchange 2003, which is updated. Any suggestions or help? I have an angry General Manager. I just realized that the error isn't listed in the body of the text below. The error that we are receiving is "File path not found." The only time that we encounter this error is when there are attachments that have been added or forwarded. Your help is greatly appreciated! "Jerry Walker" wrote: > We ...

Outlook 2007 adding contacts issue #2
Hello! I apologize in advance if this has been answered, but I couldn't find it anywhere... today I added contacts to outlook 2007...never had used it before on Vista ever...and closed out went to lunch... came back, I cannot add any new contacts. All options to add a greyed out... If I select file new.....adding contacts is there but greyed out... any ideas on what to change? Thanks! lori, Go to your contacts page and type CTRL + N. The new contact page will open. Or on your contacts page, click New on the button that appears just below the File menu item. Or on your contacts pa...

MAPI Failure message using 2007 word
-- JOHN HASKINS I keep getting this error message when I try to send a document from Word 2007 to my Outlook Email Client, which is my default email setup. I followed the recommended steps that help feature suggested, but that did not work by saving the document then closing and also closing Outlook, which was when word would restart it would start a new MAPI Session. No Go! What much I do. All other applications and software allow me to send to my email client except Office. ...

a document has gone in compatibility mode how do I get it back
I lost a couple of documents that I had saved and was changing the saved title and as I have said the document has gone into compatibility and I cant get it back. ...

Outlook 2007: Themes and Stationery
I am trying to use an Outlook theme. I have selected the theme and also chose to use the theme's fonts. When I begin an email message using the theme, the theme's font shows up but if I try to do bullets, I get the regular old bullets (black circles) even though the theme has nice fancy ones. What do I need to change to get those nice fancy bullets? ...

WAB and Office 2k3 problem
Greetings All: I've Outlook 2003 connected to an Exchange 2003 server. The only addresses that appear in my address book are the Global Addresses from the server, my contacts do not appear. Now when I go to the appropriate "Outlook Address Book" tab in the contacts properties dialog, the "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" checkbox is grayed out. I have several other contact folders that exhibit the same grayed out checkbox. If I try to add them from the Options dialog in the Address Book specifically, they don't even show up in the as being avail...

Hide Quck Parts in Word 2007
Hi, Is it possible to hide empty quick parts in word 2007? I am populating quick parts from a sharepoint list (wss 3.0) and some of the fields in this list are not rquired and the field names are showing when the metadata is empty. http://www.moss2007.be/blogs/vandest/archive/2009/12/03/configure-word-2007-content-controls-with-empty-placeholder-text.aspx ...

Access 2007 Rich Text Question 04-28-07
Hi All In the plan text version of a Memo field you can easily add a date by pressing Ctrl+Colon which makes life easy for the end user. However, if the Memo field is set to the Rich Text Property this no longer works. Or am I missing something? Tom gave me a part answer last week but I cannot see a way of inserting a date on a Rich Text Memo field by using keystrokes Thanks ...

outlook web access in office xp pro
Is Outlook web access available with office xp pro? If so, how do I obtain it? Thx Outlook Web Access requires an Exchange Server. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP www.cardozasolutions.com Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 ***Please post all replies to the newsgroups*** "brad" <bjjulum@comcast.net> wrote in message news:028601c398dd$336cf980$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Is Outlook web access available with office xp pro? If > so, how do I obtain it? Thx ...

HELP! When I removed Office XP did I lose by inbox file?
I didn't archive my inbox and personal folders before removing Office XP. Now I have reinstalled Office XP and thought I could find my old data files. but all of the import and repair tools work with PST which I don't have. I remember that previously there were seperate inbox files and can not find them now. Thank you for your input. Ron Be sure to show hidden and system files on your computer and then do a search for *.pst. This should get you started... "Ron" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:093b01c3ba63$265a8120$a401280a@phx.gbl....

sign-in Problems with Money Plus 2007
I changed my MS Passport Password and now can't log in to online Money. I have to use my old passport password to log in to Money but neither works to go to online services. How do I resynchronize the passwords? -- Manticorr In microsoft.public.money, Manticorr wrote: >I changed my MS Passport Password and now can't log in to online Money. I >have to use my old passport password to log in to Money but neither works to >go to online services. How do I resynchronize the passwords? Hold on to you backup files. You may want to increase the number of backup files f...