Compatibility Pack for Office 2007

This may be a stupid question, but...

We are in the process of migrating from Office 2003 to Office 2007. We had
deployed the Compatibility Pack to all our Office 2003 users a year or more
ago so they could read documents created outside our company.  My question
is...

Is there any need or value to keep the Compatibility Pack installed after
installing Office 2007?

Thanks,

Tom

0
Tom

In article <OP$RtKsmKHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, Tom K wrote:
> This may be a stupid question, but...
>
> We are in the process of migrating from Office 2003 to Office 2007. We had
> deployed the Compatibility Pack to all our Office 2003 users a year or more
> ago so they could read documents created outside our company.  My question
> is...
>
> Is there any need or value to keep the Compatibility Pack installed after
> installing Office 2007?

Only if you plan on leaving 2003 components installed side by side with 2007.

The compat pack allows previous versions of Office to open the new 2007 file
format files basically by installing the same functionality as the 2007 apps
already have ... the ability to back-save 2007 to 97-2003 format.

Since 2007 can open the newer files and older files AND can save back to the
older format, it has no need for the compat pack.

0
Steve
1/21/2010 7:12:37 PM
"Steve Rindsberg" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message
> In article <OP$RtKsmKHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, Tom K wrote:
>
> Since 2007 can open the newer files and older files AND can save back to
> the
> older format, it has no need for the compat pack.

That's what I was thinking, too.  Our vulnerability assessment software is
telling us we need to patch the Compat Pack.  I'd rather not do that if I
don't have to.

Thanks,

Tom

0
Tom

Converting Microsoft Office 2003 Trial into a full version
I have bought a Sony Vaio PCG-GRT360ZG notebook with installed Microsoft Office 2003. I registered Microsoft Office 2003 trial version. Now I am trying to convert it into a full version. Unfortunately I am getting message that my product key (from Certificate of Authenticity) is invalid. My trial version expires in Jan 2005. What should I do ? My product key from Certificate of Authenticity label is : J8FHJ-Q6BJM-G6PVD-FWM2B-PW6J8. Thank you very much Peter. ...

All office apps close without warning
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel Hello, I just bought Office 2008 for Mac, and although I love this new version, every application (Word, Excel, etc) close on me (due to an unexpected error) constantly while I'm trying to use them. It results in a loss of data, and has become extremely frustrating for me, since I rely on these apps. I got the newest update to work (12.1.17), but it does NOT clear up the problem. I bought the student license for Office 2008 at my university bookstore, so it is a one-time installation (re-installation is not an option)...

Show All Groups in 2007
I've looked for this setting, but can't seem to find it -- or, maybe it's not available (which would totally surprise me) -- is there a way to always "Show All Groups" in Access 2007 as opposed to having to right click on the navigation pane and activate all the time? I prefer to see all my objects at once. Thanks for any help. Yes: the top of the Nav Pane has a drop-down. Choose: All Objects. To see them sorted like previous versions, right-click on the top of the Nav Pane, and choose: Category | Object Type -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, W...

HELP with Office 2004 not loading after installing Adobe Acrobat 7.
Hi, Word, Excel and Powerpoint won�t launch anymore after installing Adobe Acrobat 7. I checked on office/startup and the three folders are empty. All I get is window telling me that app couldn�t launch.. Error reporting. Is there a way to fix this? I don�t want to reinstall OSX. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office several times to no avail. Entourage launches fine. Thanks, AJ There are troubleshooting techniques linked from this page, work through them: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/macoffice/ see General Troubleshooting and Troubleshooting for Office 2004 If they get to the splash sc...

Outlook 2007 256 Color Mode
Just returned home from a business trip, opened up my Outlook 2007 and it was UGLY! Looks like its running on 256 color mode or something. Running on Microsoft Vista / Office 2007 / Dell GX620 pc. It was working before I left. Not sure what cause or solution is. Tried doing a Office Repair...no affect. HELP! If you have a solution, please e-mail me at mcsims@gmail.com as I may loose this site location. Thanks...Michael Is it ONLY Outlook that looks that way? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com <mcsims@gmail.com> wrote in message ...

Messages stuck in Outbox + Heavy CPU load Outlook 2007
Hi, I am using Outlook 2007 with Windows Vista Ultimate. I have a very annoying problem. On a random messages, Outlook "decides" that a certain message will not leave the outbox whatsoever, even if I will write the same message again and again. It happens usually with attachments (usually small ones) but not always. This is what is happening usually: I am writing the message as usual, and trying to send it. In the lower corner, Outlook informs that send/receive was completed successfully but the message remains in the outbox, and somehow blinks a little (if I can describe it ...

access 2007 and custom toolbars in earlier version
Is there a way in Access 2007 (Enterprise) to modify a custom toolbar created in say Access 2002? In the help there are only topics about the quick access toolbar. I want to modify the action of a button, but right clicking and choosing customize, like used to be so easy (once you get used to it), is no longer possible. Does that mean no more custom toolbars and no backward compatibilty here? Help would be very welcome as the user friendliness of my user's experience is at stake here. ...

I can't run My outlook 2007 as its capacity is exceeded. How can .
My outlook 2007 has exceeded is maximum capacity two days ago and since then I can't run it since I am always getting a system comment saying that I need to empty folders to have it back - which I did inquite a large number os them. Now I would like to know how can I overcome this situation since, as I said, I have emptied quite a lot of folders and no result was obtainesd so far. Kindly help me with your advices. the soonest if possible Thanks Graça Maria Portugal There is no such thing as Maximum Capacity in outlook. How many emails a day do you receive? ...

How can I prioritize tasks by number in Outlook 2007?
I am trying to create a custom priority for my tasks in Outlook 2007, but I'm not able to edit the field that was created when I changed the settings to include a custom priority. I'm trying to put a number into it, so that I can sort my tasks in a certain category by number, but I'm not able to. We aren't watching you and your explanation is missing details. Where in Outlook are you trying to view the Tasks? There are 3 places to see Tasks. If in the Task Folder, what View are you in? If in Tasks folder you probably need to turn on in-line editing. Regards Judy Gle...

best way to connect a brach office
What is the best way to connect to a branch office say of 10 users to the main server .. In addition the branch office wants all outlook email functionaliy... is it going to be the laptop client assigned to each user, which means every branch user nees to sync individually ?!?!?!? ? i hope not.. Please advise.. ...

i have office basic 2003,does IRM work with basic?
i have office basic 2003,does IRM work with basic? and how do i get it to work Office basic? Standard Edition? Small Business Edition? Small Business Management Edition? IRM? Information Resource Management? "Oola" <Oola@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B52FCE24-0C62-4D47-9F0B-548290487BEE@microsoft.com... >i have office basic 2003,does IRM work with basic? and how do i get it to >work Information Rights Management depends on having a Windows 2003 server with the IRM bits installed. Since Office Basic comes with OEM computers, I will presume tha...

Running Office 2001 on Mac OS 10.2, help
This might be a dumb question, but I don't want to screw things up. I was running Mac OS 9.0.4 and I downloaded OS 9.1, 9.1.2, 9.2.2 and then the new 10.2. However, all my software is still in the 9.1 classic. I want to use it all in the new OS 10.2. Will Office 2001 Academic Edition work in OS 10.2? Do I need to uninstall it in OS 9.1 first, then install it is OS 10.2? Or, can I just drag and drop it on the 10.2 desktop or in the applications folder? I have a lot of other expensive softwares in OS 9.1 that I don't want to have to upgrade, but need to be able to use in OS 10.2. Wi...

Money 2007 H & B + Windows Vista
Hello, I have read a lot about problems with installing and using Money (2007) on machines running Windows Vista. Is there some kind of "manual" how to go about the install procedure? A manual that describes where to have the program installed installed and where to keep the data? And a manual that describes how to keep the rights as an administrator as you would normally have under windows XP? And maybe there are some other issues that I haven't thought about. Thanks, Eric "Eric" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:468fe69d$0$37724$5fc3050@dre...

Excel 2007. How do I get un-installed add-ins off the toolbar?
I have 2 Large Icons on the ribbon/toolbar of Excel 2007. These are Omnipage and s-force. Both of these have been uninstalled and I have de-activated both add-ins. How do I get these off the toolbar forever? thanks ...

Transaction error in Money 2007
Since TAXCUT is out and Money is free with it (Staples), I purchased and upgraded from 06 to 07. My first download resulted in a transaction on my Fidelity account that listed the sale of one mutual fund and the purchase of another. Following the prompts I accepted each transaction but received the following error: An error occurred but Money was unable to retrieve and display details about what happened. (Resource = rcmpiad. Error = 4061.) I have tried deleting the transaction but it continually says 1 transaction to read. I have run salvage and it claimed to fix some on-line issue...

Watch this corrective pack from M$
--jmmhbhemoyfr Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="sfjdisnqvejgb"; type="multipart/alternative" --sfjdisnqvejgb Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="kohjrwim" --kohjrwim Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to protect your computer from ...

.NET Framework 1.1 compatibility
Does anyone know when the CRM will support .NET Framework 1.1? I have VS.NET 2003 installed on my development machine. There doesn't seem to be a straightforward way of building a solution in 1.0 from the IDE. I guess I can use the command lines... Microsoft CRM v1.2 Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm >> Other Microsoft CRM Online Forum Resources >-----Original Message----- >Does anyone know when the CRM will support .NET Framework 1.1? > >I have VS.NET 2003 installed on my development machine. There doesn't seem >to be a straig...

Exchange SVC Pack 1
DO NOT INSTALL. It crashed my server and caused the stores to unload and crash frequently. Now Microsoft want to sell me a hotfix. It was working b4 the svc pack upgrade so everyone beware!! Er, no, that's not the case at all. Exchange 2003 SP1 works perfectly fine for a large number of customers. If you, as a Microsoft customer have had an issue with the SP that requires a service pack, identified by Microsoft, then you will not be required to pay for it. If you have a KB that says you are to call MS for the fix then you may be required to give details but you won't be char...

can't see text in any office files anymore
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel on my macbookpro: can't see text in any office files anymore (word, powerpoint, excel). only when using preview function from OSX. <br> what's wrong??? <br> do I have to re-install the all suite? any quick fix? ...

Try on critical pack from the M$
--jzimiylyqqqsoyv Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="dhziknmbrpdcad"; type="multipart/alternative" --dhziknmbrpdcad Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="kicivcidlndhzwtmm" --kicivcidlndhzwtmm Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Partner this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to continue keeping your computer secure from th...

Office X 'clean' reinstall: delete all old files?
I'm about to try installing the latest bug-fix collection, sorry. "security update" for Office X, 10.1.6. I'm hoping it might reduce the frequency of Word's charming crashes. Who knows, I might get lucky and it'll even fix the completely messed up 'contact' feature in Word that is grayed out most of the time, but when it decides to work, will only list the 'A's' from my address book. Just useless. Anyway, back to the plot: since my Office X is so bent out of shape, I figure I'll do a 'clean install' from the original disk first, then...

Compatability of Powerpoint 2008 with 2004
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I "upgraded" to Office 2008 and am having problems viewing Powerpoint slides that I created with 2004 version previously even though they are saved as 2004. Some images are blank or blacked out. In one case, when I replaced the images and then sent the presentation to a colleague who uses MAc with Office 2004 it was fine on his computer but when he sent back to me, again images were blank or black. I need to exchange files frequently with people using the older version so it will not be adequate to just fix thi...

Compatibility Checker
When I save a Excel 2007 worksheet with settings for an Excel 2003 file, the compatibility checker comes up and says the following: "Some cells or styles in this worksheet contain formatting that is not supported by the selected file format. These formats will be converted to the closest format available." (not very helpful or informative) Ok, so now I know what the problem is, but just how do I find out which cells are the offending formats? The file has multiple tabs, but is generaly formatted with common fonts - nothing fancy. I have a few shaded cells, but ...

Rich Text formatting in Access 2007
In Access 2007, is it possible to add rich text formatting to text in a memo field (or mixed formatting within any text field). I have just upgraded to the new version of Access, and it appears that this feature still has not been added. Is this correct? (If so, why?) If it is not possible to format individual words within a field in Access, , is there a simple, free add-in that will enable Access to do this kind of basic formatting, such as adding italic, bold, and underlining? Thanks very much for any information you may have. Bob Rich Text format for Memos in: Tables - Look in t...

How to uninstall Outlook 2000 from Office 2000
I have installed MS Office on my PC but would now like to uninstall Outlook only from that installation . I know this can be done using the Installation CD but have forgotten just exactly how to go about it . Can anyone refresh my memory in this, please ? victory@iol.ie wrote: > I have installed MS Office on my PC but would now like to uninstall > Outlook only from that installation . > > I know this can be done using the Installation CD but have forgotten > just exactly how to go about it . > > Can anyone refresh my memory in this, please ? Add/R...