What do we do with our Money 2002 Data?

We have used Money 2002 since it came installed on the Dell computer
we purchased years back.  We cannot find any backup disk that Dell
might have supplied for installing   again.

Now, my wife ordered Money 2010, not knowing until later that her 2002
files would not be able to be imported into the new Money 2010. She is
also saying that the new 2010 program will no longer be called Money,
but will bear the Quicken name.  Is this correct?

Question: If the above is true, is there any method to import these
2002 files into "Money/Quicken 2010"?

We certainly are not going to enter manually all the old records for
the past years into the 2010 version, be it called Money or Quicken.

Any suggestions besides keeping the old computer with the old Money
files on it and continue using its version of Money 2002?
0
joeD
11/14/2009 5:08:29 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

If you are happy with Money 2002 stick with it and do not go to Quicken.
I suggest you buy a second hand copy of 2002 on CD through eBay - but stay
with 2002; do NOT buy an earlier version - 2000 or 2001.
Money was also available on some versions of Microsoft Works - again don't
buy a pre 2002 version.
Money 2002 can certainly be installed on Windows 7 and future OS that can
create a 32 bit Virtual Machine should also be able to do so.

teabag

<joeD@lewqr.com> wrote in message
> We have used Money 2002 since it came installed on the Dell computer
> we purchased years back.  We cannot find any backup disk that Dell
> might have supplied for installing   again.
>
> Now, my wife ordered Money 2010, not knowing until later that her 2002
> files would not be able to be imported into the new Money 2010. She is
> also saying that the new 2010 program will no longer be called Money,
> but will bear the Quicken name.  Is this correct?
>
> Question: If the above is true, is there any method to import these
> 2002 files into "Money/Quicken 2010"?
>
> We certainly are not going to enter manually all the old records for
> the past years into the 2010 version, be it called Money or Quicken.
>
> Any suggestions besides keeping the old computer with the old Money
> files on it and continue using its version of Money 2002?

0
teabag
11/14/2009 7:40:49 AM
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 07:40:49 -0000, "teabag" <nobody@home.com> wrote:
snip
>Money was also available on some versions of Microsoft Works - again don't
>buy a pre 2002 version.
snip
>teabag

My wife took for granted that it was not on here WORKS CD. It IS on
her WORKS CD!  Problem solved.

Thank you so much for answering and making me check her WORKS CD.

0
joeD
11/14/2009 11:04:07 AM
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 05:04:07 -0600, joeD@lewqr.com wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 07:40:49 -0000, "teabag" <nobody@home.com> wrote:
>snip
>>Money was also available on some versions of Microsoft Works - again don't
>>buy a pre 2002 version.
>snip
>>teabag
>>

>My wife took for granted that it was not on here WORKS CD. It IS on
>her WORKS CD!  Problem solved.
>
>Thank you so much for answering and making me check her WORKS CD.

I should have added that I did install it on *my* new computer that
has all the sp3 upgrades.  That probably means she will be able to
load it on her new computer, too.  Importing her records from the old
comp should be no big deal, I guess.

Thanks again!
0
joeD
11/14/2009 11:11:14 AM
You should also understand that there is/will be no Money past the the 2008
version called Money+. Microsoft is existing the business because it wasn't
sufficiently profitable or large or both for their tastes. The offer that
Microsoft is advertising is for changing to their former competitor Quicken,
a software product of Intuit who also does "QuickBooks" and "TurboTax".
There are many threads here about that product and various conversion
experiences.

[Attn: J Pollard: this kind of confusion is one of the reasons that the MS
push ad for Q surprised me.]

There are some reasons you might want to consider upgrading to the last
supported version of Money, if you can find it via eBay or remaining retail
stock channels. Many here would suggest that M02 was better than M+. I
wouldn't.

M04 vs. M+ might be a push in my view. M02 was the first year of a
significant redesign to Money internals and had a number of "issues" that
got fixed by the time M04 rolled out. M05 screwed things all up again. By
the time M+ released, a lot, but by no means all, of those issues had been
fixed. In addition, the "Nuke the Bills" kludge repair tool had been added.
It shouldn't be necessary but sadly proves so over time for many users. M+
also has all of the latest API demand on OS and IE so *may* (extreme
speculation here) be supportable further into the future without resorting
to OS virtualization.

I would also suggest that M+ would better position you for using the Q
converter in the future if that appeals to you, among other things.

The M+ you might find in the marketplace will require online activation and
the capability to do so will be disabled after January 31, 2001. (In this
scenario, a reinstall on February 1, 2011, similar to what you are doing now
with M02, will not work. From the reason you are here, you can understand
why that would be A Bad Thing.) Microsoft has promised to ship an update to
M+ that removes this activation requirement. Without this promise, I would
not recommend changing from M02 to M+. Some have suggested Microsoft will
break this promise. I don't think they will but have been wrong before.

Food for thought. I suspect you will get dissenting opinions. So be it.

<joeD@lewqr.com> wrote in message
> Now, my wife ordered Money 2010, not knowing until later that her 2002
> files would not be able to be imported into the new Money 2010. She is
> also saying that the new 2010 program will no longer be called Money,
> but will bear the Quicken name.  Is this correct?

0
Dick
11/14/2009 3:13:55 PM
"Import" shouldn't be involved. Copy over the .MNY data file. Store it
somewhere in your Documents folder/library. (NOT in Program Files!)
Double-click on it. All should be well.

> Importing her records from the old
> comp should be no big deal, I guess.

0
Dick
11/14/2009 3:16:08 PM
Good to hear.

> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 07:40:49 -0000, "teabag" <nobody@home.com> wrote:
> snip
>>Money was also available on some versions of Microsoft Works - again don't
>>buy a pre 2002 version.
> snip
>>teabag
>>

> My wife took for granted that it was not on here WORKS CD. It IS on
> her WORKS CD!  Problem solved.
>
> Thank you so much for answering and making me check her WORKS CD.

0
teabag
11/14/2009 5:17:16 PM
Thanks for this post.  It saved me a lot of headache.  I, too, have been
using the MS Money 2002 since then and I just got a new Windows 7 Dell.
Still had the old CD, loaded it up and restored all my files!

"joeD@lewqr.com" wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 07:40:49 -0000, "teabag" <nobody@home.com> wrote:
> snip
> >Money was also available on some versions of Microsoft Works - again don't
> >buy a pre 2002 version.
> snip
> >teabag
> >

> My wife took for granted that it was not on here WORKS CD. It IS on
> her WORKS CD!  Problem solved.
>
> Thank you so much for answering and making me check her WORKS CD.
>

> .

<joeD@lewqr.com> wrote in message
> We have used Money 2002 since it came installed on the Dell computer
> we purchased years back.  We cannot find any backup disk that Dell
> might have supplied for installing   again.
>
> Now, my wife ordered Money 2010, not knowing until later that her 2002
> files would not be able to be imported into the new Money 2010. She is
> also saying that the new 2010 program will no longer be called Money,
> but will bear the Quicken name.  Is this correct?

Not exactly.  There is no such thing as Money 2010.  MSFT cancelled all
Money products and has ceased all sales as of a few months ago.  MSFT did
recommend that Money users switch to Quicken.  There is a Quicken 2010 and
that must be what your wife ordered.  Quicken is published by Intuit, a
completely different company from MSFT.

> Question: If the above is true, is there any method to import these
> 2002 files into "Money/Quicken 2010"?

Not directly.  You would first have to covert your 2002 files into a newer
version of Money.  This can be done by downloading the current Money Plus
trial version.  I do not recommend that you try it because I see no reason
for you to switch to Quicken.

> We certainly are not going to enter manually all the old records for
> the past years into the 2010 version, be it called Money or Quicken.
>
> Any suggestions besides keeping the old computer with the old Money
> files on it and continue using its version of Money 2002?

You can continue to run M2002 on current computers and operating systems.
Some folks run M2002 on Vista or Win7.  I run 2002 on XP SP3 and it works
great.

Refering to Dick Watson's post I would dissent about you trying Money Plus
(very rare since I virtually always agree with Dick).  I ran M2002 since it
came out right up until this past spring when I switched to Money Plus.
After MSFT cancelled Money I switched back to M2002 because M+ requires
activation every time you install it.  Since MSFT is taking down its
activation servers in Jan 2011, I could not reinstall M+ after that date.
MSFT has since promised to produce a version of M+ that does not require
activation but that has not happened yet.  Probably will happen sometime
before Jan 2011.

But I found after switching back to M2002 that 2002 is better than M+ in
most ways.  It is faster and I much prefer the cleaner interface.  M+ has no
features lacking in M2002 except so called Nuke the Bills which allows you
to wipe out Bills/Deposits and then recreate them.  From your description of
your use of Money, I doubt that you use Bills/Deposits so that is a non
issue for you.  You should be able to continue to run M2002 for many many
years on current hardware and operating systems, I certainly intend to do
so.  And since you do not use online updates there is certainly no
compelling reason for you to switch to Quicken.

Regards

Bill Wood

0
William
11/15/2009 2:10:49 PM
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 07:10:49 -0700, "William R Wood"
<nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

><joeD@lewqr.com> wrote in message
>> We have used Money 2002 since it came installed on the Dell computer
>> we purchased years back.  We cannot find any backup disk that Dell
>> might have supplied for installing   again.
>>
>> Now, my wife ordered Money 2010, not knowing until later that her 2002
>> files would not be able to be imported into the new Money 2010. She is
>> also saying that the new 2010 program will no longer be called Money,
>> but will bear the Quicken name.  Is this correct?
>
>Not exactly.  There is no such thing as Money 2010.  MSFT cancelled all
>Money products and has ceased all sales as of a few months ago.  MSFT did
>recommend that Money users switch to Quicken.  There is a Quicken 2010 and
>that must be what your wife ordered.  Quicken is published by Intuit, a
>completely different company from MSFT.

Right.  It was Quicken 2010 she ordered

Besides, as I said in a later post, we did find the 2002 Money disk,
so that solves a bunch of problems.

But thank you for your time in answering.

snipped

>Regards
>
>Bill Wood

0
joeD

Where is Microsoft Publisher 2002?
Microsoft Publisher 2000 was included in Microsoft Office 2000 Professional. I installed Microsoft Office XP Professional, but I can't find Microsoft Publisher 2002(XP). Did Microsoft Publisher 2002(XP) have to be purchased separately? If it is part of the Office XP bundle how do I load it. Not all versions of Office are the same as other versions - just like the different editions vary. You need to read the box to make sure you are getting what you need - or to see what program are included. Pub 2002 had to be purchased separately because it wasn't included with any retail s...

Money 2007 E-Pay
Noticed this morning when I was paying my bills this anomaly. Perhaps I am missing something. Scenario: Paying a credit card bill. In Money 2004 (my previous version of Money) I would use Credit Card as the category and in the subcategory use the particular credit card account I was paying. Worked great. Money 2007, there is a new category named Credit Cards/Transfer. When selecting this there are no payee categories listed. However further down the list is another category named Credit Card. Using Credit Card shows the various payees. Not sure what the difference is between Credit C...

Passing data from one form to another

Help ! formatting data to text

Pocket Money for Smartphones
Does anyone know if there are any plans to create a version of pocket money that is compatible with smartphones running Mobile 2003? It's really a pain that mobile Money doesn't work on any smartphones! ...

Outlook 2002 SP3- Runtime Error when opening Outlook
I'm getting a runtime error- Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library / Program C:/Program Files/ microsoftoffice/ office10 /outlook.exe. This App has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusal way. This only happen the first time I open Outlook for the day. It shuts down, then I can reopen it and all is fine. I have try to debug it and the detect & repair option in the help tab. Any help is Appreciated! ...

how do i recover data in publisher
i have been entering addresses to set up a mail merge. i cllicked the "ok" button in the window and lost all data . can i recover it Look in a folder in My Documents named "My Data Sources". Publisher data is saved as .mdb(Access) file. Did you try selecting "Edit Address List" in the Mailings and Catalog menu (Tools)? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "dee" <dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:690430F1-36DE-47EE-8B7D-DD12A096C075@microsoft.com... >i have been entering addresses to set up a mail merge. i cllicked ...

Reports in Money Small Business 2004
Since "upgrading" from Money SB 2002 to SB 2004, when I run a Sales Analysis Report (ie, "All Projects" or any project for that matter) . . . NONE of the sales/invoices are included (except as $zero) for the dates BEFORE I "upgraded" the software. The paid (or unpaid) invoice (s) for all of the projects are still there, showing the correct amount of money, they are not, however included in ANY type of report I try to run. In other words, I can ONLY get totals within a report SINCE I "upgraded" (since 6/1/04). IF I were to run any sales reports...

Using subtotals as single data entries
Sorry about the subject--I couldn't figure out how to describe it simply. I have a large file (16,000 records) of amounts billed by roughly 10,000 service providers. A number of these providers have multiple office locations, so each record is unique to a specific office location. In other words, a provider who billed from 3 different office locations will have 3 entries. Each provider has a unique provider ID number, which stays the same regardless of which office location he is billing from. I want to be able to subtotal the amount billed by each provider for all their office locations...

Retrieving sorted data from same table.
Hi All, I am working on a table (mentioned below) I am looking for a query which can get me the data according to the =93id=94 column with respect to speed. The condition is that I have to get three consecutive entries which have speed > 60 Below is the sample table with data on which I have to retrieve the data on above condition. The output i need can be as given below DVXC002 12/10/09 0:12 96 DVXC002 12/10/09 18:40 89 DVXC002 12/10/09 19:43 65 DVXC005 12/10/09 11:56 69 DVXC005 12/10/09 15:26 62 DVXC005 12/10/09 17:35 85 Need your help urgently....Thanks in advan...

Do money updates install when you're not admin?
I noticed when I first start using money it told me to log on as administrator so that the updates can take effect. Is this true of all money updates? When I see the message "Money update recieved" does that mean it has also been installed or do I have to log in as admin to complete the process? In microsoft.public.money, Brian H wrote: >I noticed when I first start using money it told me to log on as >administrator so that the updates can take effect. Is this true of all money >updates? When I see the message "Money update recieved" does that mean it >has a...

Import directory data into Excel 2003
I have over 1000 media files that I would like to extract information from and put into an Excel spreadsheet. Using Explorer, I have defined the fields I would like to see, such as title, duration, comment etc. Now, I need to import this data into Excel. So far, I've not been able to find a way to do this. Can someone offer some suggestions please? Thanks, Nigel -- www.myoldcontacts.com - Tell your friends to tell their friends www.sysadmininc.com - Consultancy, Service, Sales, Networking... www.british-expats.com - Connect with British Expats World Wide www.kxez.com/shows_britishinv...

show last data point in chart
Hello, I am charting a range of observations/data points. Is there a way to make the last data point show up differently on the chart (different color/shape)? Thank you. Nathan - > I am charting a range of observations/data points. Is there a way to make the last data point show up differently on the chart (different color/shape)? < Click the charted data once to select the entire data series. Pause. Click the single point to select it. Then use the Format menu. - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com Thanks for your reply. Well, that would work if I knew which point on the chart ...

Outlook 2002 #134
Outlook 2002 worked well on my XP pro machine - then MS sent us the new software pack and I installed Outlook 2003 - I can't remember why, but I couldn't make any sense of 2003, uninstalled it, re-installed 2002 and since then I can't do a 'send and recieve all' - I am reduced to doing a send and recieve on each account individually and have been for a few months. This also means i can't do an automatic send and recieve. When i do 'send and recieve all' i get the error message "operation failed". HELP! ...

Import excel data to outlook calendar
I have found lots of tips to import excel data to the address book, etc, but can't find how to "custom map" or how to import data from an excel spreadsheet into the outlook calendar. Could anyone make any suggestions? Hi Tracy, normally you are in the wrong newsgoup, but I try to help you. - First export the dates from your OL calender to an excel file. - In this file, you can find all the headlines for importing. - If you try to import date, be sure that the headline matches as described before. - Then to the normal job for import in Outlook -- Ich hoffe, das hilft / ...

Registration Entry for External Data Refresh Prompt
Hello, I have several Excel Workbooks with external queries, pivots, etc. I have "ASK TO UPDATE AUTOMATIC LINKS" checked in TOOLS - OPTIONS. But it seems like I still stometimes get asked whether or not I want to update. Particularily I notice when I close the workbook I may get prompted if I want it to automatically update. Is there something I can do so I do not get prompted? Something in the registry perhaps? Thanks for any assistance! ...

Copy Data from One Group of Cells to Another Group
I have five columns of data on two different sheets in the same workbook. One set of columns is sorted in ascending date order the other in descending date order. When I enter data into the last row of Sheet 1, I need the data in that row in columns A, B, C and D to be copied into Sheet 2 columns A, C, D and E in a newly inserted row 14. Is this possible with the use of a macro? I can find the last cell in Sheet 1, but then need to go up one row and back to column A. I am having difficulty with that. Thanks is advance for any assistance offered! /s/ Alan Auerbach On Sat, 26 May 2007, ...

How do I get total value data labels in a stacked bar chart?
I have a 3-D stacked bar chart with four series and I want to have the total value in each category be displayed in a data label. Can I do this, and if so, how?? Hi, This should help http://www.andypope.info/charts/StackColTotal.htm Cheers Andy blemerson wrote: > I have a 3-D stacked bar chart with four series and I want to have the total > value in each category be displayed in a data label. Can I do this, and if > so, how?? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info Thanks, Andy. The CFO is thrilled. Heather "Andy Pope" wrote: > Hi, >...

Showing the perimeter of a set of (X,Y) data!
Good day all, I need to plot the perimeter of a set of data. I have a set of (X,Y) data with error bar and it is a nice mess so I just actually need to see (show) the area were the data can be found. Then hopefully overlay an other set of (X',Y') data and show that they both cover the same surface of existence. i.e this is a set of metrology measurement in X and Y of a part build from different mould. Obviously you get a nice cloud of X and Y but does the new material offer the same 'cloud' ? Thank you I think the easiest way to do this is plot the data on a XY Scatter cha...