What about routing numbers when printing checks

I had bought a pack of versacheck refills, which are
compatable with money, and was looking forward to
printing my checks at home. Well after setup, i went to
print a few checks. The checks orinted fine and within
margins, but i notice that there arent any routing
numbers, my name or address, or anything on it to make
this a valid and redeemable check. Am i missing
something?? I have MS money 2003 and am runnning XP.
0
MGidish (1)
8/29/2003 8:33:55 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 01:33:55 -0700, "MGidish" <MGidish@cox-internet.com> wrote:

>I had bought a pack of versacheck refills, which are
>compatable with money, and was looking forward to
>printing my checks at home. Well after setup, i went to
>print a few checks. The checks orinted fine and within
>margins, but i notice that there arent any routing
>numbers, my name or address, or anything on it to make
>this a valid and redeemable check. Am i missing
>something?? I have MS money 2003 and am runnning XP.

You need the Versacheck program in order to make checks out of their stock.
First you design your check, including the routing numbers and various codes.
This gives you a check which is compatible with Money.

--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)
8/29/2003 11:02:18 AM
"Ron Rosenfeld" <ronrosenfeld@nospam.org> wrote in message
> You need the Versacheck program in order to make checks out of their
stock.
> First you design your check, including the routing numbers and various
codes.
> This gives you a check which is compatible with Money.

But also one which, unless you print it with special ink almost nobody uses,
isn't necessarily compatible with the banking system.

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 06:12:46 -0600, "Dick Watson"
<littlegreengecko@mindspring.com> wrote:

>"Ron Rosenfeld" <ronrosenfeld@nospam.org> wrote in message
>> You need the Versacheck program in order to make checks out of their
>stock.
>> First you design your check, including the routing numbers and various
>codes.
>> This gives you a check which is compatible with Money.
>
>But also one which, unless you print it with special ink almost nobody uses,
>isn't necessarily compatible with the banking system.

Dick,

You're behind the times <g>.  Most financial institutions have gone to optical
readers.  I've been printing checks using a LaserJet for a number of years --
using the standard HP toner (not the magnetic stuff).  It is rare that I've had
a check returned with that little extra strip on the bottom that the bank uses
when their readers can't pick up a valid code.

Now, I don't know about other parts of the country; other parts of the world
than the US; or the use of ink-jet printers as I have not experience in that
regard.

--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)
8/29/2003 3:03:02 PM
What most banks can tolerate and what meets the requirements are two
different things. I think the situation with this is pretty well described
in the FAQ. You can do it. They are probably within their rights to reject
it as it doesn't meet the requirements of the FRB for such things.

> You're behind the times <g>.  Most financial institutions have gone to
optical
> readers.  I've been printing checks using a LaserJet for a number of
years --
> using the standard HP toner (not the magnetic stuff).  It is rare that
I've had
> a check returned with that little extra strip on the bottom that the bank
uses
> when their readers can't pick up a valid code.
>
> Now, I don't know about other parts of the country; other parts of the
world
> than the US; or the use of ink-jet printers as I have not experience in
that
> regard.

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:14:08 -0600, "Dick Watson"
<littlegreengecko@mindspring.com> wrote:

>What most banks can tolerate and what meets the requirements are two
>different things. I think the situation with this is pretty well described
>in the FAQ. You can do it. They are probably within their rights to reject
>it as it doesn't meet the requirements of the FRB for such things.

As I've said, I've been doing it for years, and my checks do get sent
throughout the country.  I've rarely had a rejected check.  And sometimes the
rejected checks were commercially printed.  (By rejected, I mean that a strip
was generated manually, and then taped to the bottom of my check).

Now it may be that the banks are using OCR instead of MICR; or it may be that
there is some magnetic particles in the HP toner.  But the bottom line is that,
at least with an HP LJ printer, I've not had problems using standard HP toner.

--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)