Using Money On a Network

I read an online FAQ that said this is fine as long as it's only open on one
PC at a time ... but for some reason we cannot get this to work.

Here's our setup:

- Money Installed on my Laptop and Husband's PC.
- My Money file saved on my Laptop in a shared folder

Why is it that my Husband cannot open this file from his PC?  Suggestions?
Tips? Pointer?

Thanks so much!

0
ndirato (7)
7/22/2005 4:14:05 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

What version of Money?

--
Regards
Bob Peel,

For UK tips & fixes see
For wishes or suggestions see
or for UK wishes http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback

"Nicole" <ndirato@jenkinslaw.org> wrote in message
>I read an online FAQ that said this is fine as long as it's only open on
>one PC at a time ... but for some reason we cannot get this to work.
>
> Here's our setup:
>
> - Money Installed on my Laptop and Husband's PC.
> - My Money file saved on my Laptop in a shared folder
>
> Why is it that my Husband cannot open this file from his PC?  Suggestions?
> Tips? Pointer?
>
> Thanks so much!

0
Bob_Peel4015 (409)
7/22/2005 4:56:16 PM
Ooops, sorry.  2005 Basic.

"Bob Peel MVP" <Bob_Peel@kiandraNOSPAM.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> What version of Money?
>
> --
> Regards
> Bob Peel,
> Microsoft MVP - Money
>
> For UK tips & fixes see
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny.
> For wishes or suggestions see
> http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp
> or for UK wishes http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback
>
> I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for.
>
> "Nicole" <ndirato@jenkinslaw.org> wrote in message
>>I read an online FAQ that said this is fine as long as it's only open on
>>one PC at a time ... but for some reason we cannot get this to work.
>>
>> Here's our setup:
>>
>> - Money Installed on my Laptop and Husband's PC.
>> - My Money file saved on my Laptop in a shared folder
>>
>> Why is it that my Husband cannot open this file from his PC?
>> Suggestions? Tips? Pointer?
>>
>> Thanks so much!

0
ndirato (7)
7/22/2005 7:00:22 PM
You'll need to make sure that both versions are the same. Check Help->About
to see if the version numbers are exactly the same.

Be aware that you'll need to have a fast network to ensure the file is
written back properly, and the performance may not be great, but it's
certainly possible to do. Not sure whether MS would recommend it though.

--
Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money
http://money.mvps.org

Check http://money.mvps.org/faq for tips and fixes for MS Money. To send
Microsoft your product wishes see http://money.mvps.org/wishes.aspx

> Ooops, sorry.  2005 Basic.
>

> "Bob Peel MVP" <Bob_Peel@kiandraNOSPAM.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> What version of Money?
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Bob Peel,
>> Microsoft MVP - Money
>>
>> For UK tips & fixes see
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny.
>> For wishes or suggestions see
>> http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp
>> or for UK wishes http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback
>>
>> I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for.
>>
>> "Nicole" <ndirato@jenkinslaw.org> wrote in message
>>>I read an online FAQ that said this is fine as long as it's only open on
>>>one PC at a time ... but for some reason we cannot get this to work.
>>>
>>> Here's our setup:
>>>
>>> - Money Installed on my Laptop and Husband's PC.
>>> - My Money file saved on my Laptop in a shared folder
>>>
>>> Why is it that my Husband cannot open this file from his PC?
>>> Suggestions? Tips? Pointer?
>>>
>>> Thanks so much!

0
glyn1 (1534)
7/22/2005 7:38:28 PM
See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=177. M05 has unique issues re.
versioning and file access. Beyond that, see
http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=111.

"Nicole" <ndirato@jenkinslaw.org> wrote in message
> Ooops, sorry.  2005 Basic.

If you have Windows XP, I would put the money file in the Shared Documents
folder; it seems to work more reliably there.
"Nicole" <ndirato@jenkinslaw.org> wrote in message
>I read an online FAQ that said this is fine as long as it's only open on
>one PC at a time ... but for some reason we cannot get this to work.
>
> Here's our setup:
>
> - Money Installed on my Laptop and Husband's PC.
> - My Money file saved on my Laptop in a shared folder
>
> Why is it that my Husband cannot open this file from his PC?  Suggestions?
> Tips? Pointer?
>
> Thanks so much!

0
src (10)
7/23/2005 7:34:44 PM
Are you running WinXP Pro with file encryption on the shared folder that
contains your Money file?  You cannot shared encrypted files over a network
with WinXP.  While you can add users to your encrypted files on the your main
machine you cannot add users from another computer on the network.

I have used this setup over a wifi network without incident but do backup
frequently in case the file gets corrupted due to network drop out during a
transaction update.

"Nicole" wrote:

> I read an online FAQ that said this is fine as long as it's only open on one
> PC at a time ... but for some reason we cannot get this to work.
>
> Here's our setup:
>
> - Money Installed on my Laptop and Husband's PC.
> - My Money file saved on my Laptop in a shared folder
>
> Why is it that my Husband cannot open this file from his PC?  Suggestions?
> Tips? Pointer?
>
> Thanks so much!

0
Jason4159 (666)
7/28/2005 12:41:02 AM
I just "upgraded" from Money 2004 Deluxe to 2005 Deluxe.  No other changes.
I now have the same issue as Nicole.  Money on the 2nd pc wants to "upgrade
the data file" to 2005.  But when it tries it choked.  Now I cannot open the
original file from the original pc, so I have to start again. Data is backed
up.  Should I just go back to 2004?
--
B-Bru

"Jason" wrote:

> Are you running WinXP Pro with file encryption on the shared folder that
> contains your Money file?  You cannot shared encrypted files over a network
> with WinXP.  While you can add users to your encrypted files on the your main
> machine you cannot add users from another computer on the network.
>
> I have used this setup over a wifi network without incident but do backup
> frequently in case the file gets corrupted due to network drop out during a
> transaction update.
>
> "Nicole" wrote:
>
> > I read an online FAQ that said this is fine as long as it's only open on one
> > PC at a time ... but for some reason we cannot get this to work.
> >
> > Here's our setup:
> >
> > - Money Installed on my Laptop and Husband's PC.
> > - My Money file saved on my Laptop in a shared folder
> >
> > Why is it that my Husband cannot open this file from his PC?  Suggestions?
> > Tips? Pointer?
> >
> > Thanks so much!

0
BBru (1)
7/28/2005 8:58:01 PM
In microsoft.public.money, B-Bru wrote:

>I just "upgraded" from Money 2004 Deluxe to 2005 Deluxe.  No other changes.
>I now have the same issue as Nicole.  Money on the 2nd pc wants to "upgrade
>the data file" to 2005.  But when it tries it choked.  Now I cannot open the
>original file from the original pc, so I have to start again. Data is backed
>up.  Should I just go back to 2004?

If your version number is not  14.0.120.1105, do something similar
to, but not the same as
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;889930

In the resolution, create a NEW empty file (named perhaps Temp.mny)
that you put the referenced Passport onto.  Close Money.  Restart
Money.

Confirm that Money shows the right version.  Then open your
real Money file, that may already shown on the bottom of the File
menu.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)

Money 2002 no longer opens
I recently reinstalled Windows XP. Instead of installing the entire Works Suite 2002, I only installed a few individual components separately. Money 2002 worked fine for a while, but for the past week or so it refuses to open. Instead I get a window with the following message: "Cannot display the End User License Agreement which must be displayed and accepted before you can use the application. To display the agreement, reinstall the application." I have reinstalled the application several times and I've now uninstalled it and reinstalled it several times as well. ...

Using DCOUNT on filtered result
I'm having trouble with this DCOUNT, please help!! The Forms.[FOReport] is filtered by 4 category: EntryDate DateCleared FONum EEName But on the same form, I would like a total of the following: NewReferrals = which is the total of all records with EntryDate 11/01/07 - 11/30/07 OldReferrals = which is the total of all records with DateCleared 11/01/07 - 11/30/07 And EntryDate before 11/01/07 I have this DCOUNT: Dim xBDate = Me.fltrBDATE --> which is 11/01/07 Dim xEDate = Me.fltrEDATE --> which is 11/30/07 xTotalOldRef= DCount("[EntryDate]", "[ID Flag]", Me.F...

Please help me with Money Invoice Designer problem
I am having a problem with Money 2003 D&B Invoice Designer. I reinstalled Money 2003 D&B, and acknowledged the EULA. But when I try to start the Invoice Designer, either from withion Money or from the Start, Programs, Money menu, I get a message the Windows Installer is "preparing to install", then an error message the Windows Installer "Can't load fiile C:\Docume~1\Joe\Locals~1\Temp\{7F581D1D-CA97-4C77-B88A-27537173CEDF}\Seria lNumber.dll", and my only choice is to click on "OK". This message repeats 8 more times before the invoice designer finally...

Multiple Computers in my home using Office v.10
I have a legal, "bought and paid for" copy Office for MAC v.10 which is loaded on my Titanium Notebook. We have purchased an iMAC and my wife attempted to load the Office program onto it. It accepted the program but won't give her access stating that it already in use on my computer. 1. Doesn't the original license allow for multiple useage on a limited number of computers in a household? 2. If not, how to I get licensing for this new computer? Succinctly, We are looking to run this program on two computers that we own. Period! How can we do that without buying another fu...

Money 2004 or keep Quicken 2003 (later get 2004)????
Standard question to ask advice about: - Now a Quicken user and should stay a Quicken user? - Change to Money 2004?? -- Why change?? -- Why not change?? I do home finances, connect to bank (two) to pay bills and to track checking accounts and credit card purchases and payments. Not investing in stocks, etc. Do taxes using Turbo Tax but don't import information to do that. Used Money a few years ago -- it did not allow single check printing on my printer at the time, while Quicken did, so I stayed a Quicken user. Thank you. You folks have been a big help...

can't use the from field to send mail from another mailbox
I installed the exchange roll up fix kbfix KB870540 per: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-021 Vulnerability in Exchange Server Could Allow Remote Code Execution (894549) and now when a user who has access to another mailbox and is currently using their own mailbox can't use the from field to send mail from the other mailbox. They receive an error message "you do not have sufficient permission to perform this operation on this object". see the folder contact or your system administrator". The only workaround i found is to allow them send on behalf of, this allows th...

Using POP3 in Outlook 2003, with PST from an Exchange Server
My client has POP3 set up on his Outlook 2003 and uses Personal Folder (pst) to handle our corporate Microsoft Exchange Server. A number of admin assistance would like to share, view and edit my client's calendar within the pst. Is this possible since the client's pst contains the PIM such as inbox, calendar, contacts etc ? I could not view any permissions tab on his side to enable others to access. Any thoughts? Sincerely, Donson Nope. PST are just that... personal... as in, only one person can have open at any given time. FWIW, the site invested in Microsoft Exchange. Inform...

Can't access Money Account
I recently purchased a new computer and transferred my Microsoft Money file from the old computer to the new one. Now it asks me for a password...which I did not use before. I can't get into the program. I've not registered for a passport account. I don't want one. I just want into my current program. Where did the Money application on the new machine come from? Are you sure it is as new or newer than the version you were last using on your old machine? Can you open the sample data file on the new machine? "Karen Peterson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.c...

Using "&#10" (Ampersand#10) with XmlAttribute.InnerText
Hi, I'm trying to generate XML attribute text that contains the string 'Ampersand#10;'. Because my newsreader strips that expression away, I have replaced with the word 'Ampersand', but please note that I mean the single ampersand character. Unfortunately '&' is expandet to '&amp;'. Any idea how to generate the required content? (BTW: This sequence is used by Excel-XML (SpreadsheetML) to mark a line feed in a cell and I am generating an Excel XML-Document. So I suppose it to be valid XML or should Microsoft really use not wellformed XML?) I have trie...

Using Fill command in Editing Group
Hi, I am trying to find more info on how to use the functions on the Fill Command in the Editing group especially regarding dates as I cannot seem to get this to work. I know how to fill using the drag handle but would also like to use the fill command. If anyone can guide me to a site which discusses this command that would be good. Thanks See http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/excel-fill-handle.htm -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Caz" <Caz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0ABB15BD-FEC6-47FC-9986-8B78369AB78E@microsoft.com....

Using Citrix and Installing SFO
I have read the several threads regarding TS and usderstand how this relates to Citrix. My questions is.... I had the SFO working for three users for what seemed to be about a week in Citrix. My guess is because we had all logged in one by one and this last week we had all logged in together. Does anyone have any thoughts.. Now all I get is SFO load failure contact admin. Is CRM SFO dead for citrix/ts?? Are you referring to v1.2 or v3.0? In v1.2 it was explicitly NOT supported. I know the v3.0 Desktop client is supported in a Terminal Server environment. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft...

Can I use side by side colums and stacked columns in same graph?
I have a completed graph that shows side by side columns and a line, but I would like to add a stacked column to the graph without losing the other side by side columns. Debbie - You need a stacked-clustered column chart. This page has links that show how to accomplish such a chart. Most likely you'll have to rearrange the data and make a new chart. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Debbie wrote: > I have a complet...

When I send message using CRM it doesnt sync to my Sent box in exchange
I am using the email router. Exchange 2007 - server 2008 - CRM 4.0 When I send it, it sends the email out, however it doesnt show in my sent box. THe CRM Email Router is set and no errors when I test/publish. any ideas? I think you send the email in Outlook, Track in CRM and the email will be created in CRM. Outlook cannot 'catch' the mail sent by CRM. "Mike San Filippo" wrote: > I am using the email router. Exchange 2007 - server 2008 - CRM 4.0 > > When I send it, it sends the email out, however it doesnt show in my sent > box. > > THe CRM Emai...

Money 2004-unable to export OFC file upon installation of Money2004 Deluxe
We have used a trial version of Money 2004 and were able to export our bank's account information into an hbexport.ofc file prior to importing it into our Money program. Since installing Money 2004 Deluxe since our trial version ended we have not been able to save the exported OFC file. We will submit the export history information as usual, but then a dialog box flashes rapidly on the screen and closes before we can tell the program where to save the file to be imported into our money program. We believe it is a changed configuration problem, but haven't been able to correct the di...

Using Brightmail to filter out Sober?
Has anyone figured out a good filter for Brightmail to keep Sober from clogging my users inboxes? I have blocked *@fbi.gov and *.cia.gov but still get a good amount of sober coming in, I have also blocked a few subject lines, but some such as "Your Password" and what not are pretty common and I would not like to block them. I could not find a place to block a certain size/name of attachment or I would use that. Copy and paste this into a text file and import it to your Brightmail "Custom Filters" It should pick up any sober viruses still coming in, (US Version) # Brigh...

Appending tables using VBA
Hello, Say for example I have two huge tables I want to append together, out of the 200 fields, 190 of them have exactly the same name and will be mapped to exactly the same place, but the rest 10 do not have the same name although they do have a corresponding mapping to the target table (say field: "Last Name" mapped to field name "LName" and so on), now, one way to write the SQL string is of course to map the field one by one, but is there anyway I could just write out the mapping of the 10 fields that are different and save the work to write out the mapping of the rest 1...

Is it possible to use the mouse wheel to scroll horizontally?
I have a large excel document, and I wish to know if it is possible to scroll using the mouse wheel horizontally across the page, instead of the default vertical down the page? You can using tilt wheel..Make sure from Control Panel you have enabled horizontal scrolling with tilt wheel . -- Jacob "Diabolo_Devil" wrote: > I have a large excel document, and I wish to know if it is possible to scroll > using the mouse wheel horizontally across the page, instead of the default > vertical down the page? ...

New Money 2006 Premier, how to renew Experian and Gainskeeper accounts?
With my Money 2005 Premier I signed up for the one year service of Experian and GainsKeeper. I upgraded to Money 2006 Premier, but now my Experian and Gainskeeper accounts are expired. How do I re-activate my one year subscriptions associated with my new Money 2006 premier product? Pieter Before you do renew, can you tell us if you are satisfied with the service. I was not satsified. It was/is clumsy to set up and they do not do mutual funds. I have not yet been able to manuallly input all of my buys and sells fo the year into their website. And the automated download of my M06 ...

Money 2004 slow startup
Has anybody experienced slow Money startup.I mean Money interface is open ,but then I will have to wait another few minutes until it responses for scrolling and changing screens etc.I checked it on two of my computers and still the same result. BTW I had the same situation last year with Money 2003 so I just stayed with 2002 version.Now I upgraded to 2004 and this delayed startup is a little annoying. In microsoft.public.money, vasyl lavryshyn wrote: >Has anybody experienced slow Money startup.I mean Money interface is open >,but then I will have to wait another few minutes until it...

false NDR message using POP3 Connector
I have an internal domain setup using Exch 2003 to something like "ourdomain.net" We have an external (web host) mail server called "publicdomain.com" I have myemail@ourdomain.net in Exchange, and setup a pop3 connector to retrieve mail from publicdomain.com and deliver to my mailbox. Internal (exchange to exchange via outlook 2003) works flawlessly. When I send email it works perfectly (sender sees myaddress@publicdomain.com) when someone outside SENDS to myaddress@publicdomain.com, I receive the message OK, and the sender receives a NDR as follows: Reporting-MTA: ...

Making Money on Line
<HTML> <HEAD> <META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft DHTML Editing Control"> <TITLE></TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <P>wow I just found this site <A href="http://www.a1yes.com/100k">www.a1yes.com/100k</A> that shows you how to make $100,000 a year. It comes in a&nbsp;book and six tapes and is called the $100,000 For Life Program. <A href="http://www.a1yes.com/100k">www.a1yes.com/100k</A>&nbsp;</P> </BODY> </HTML> ...

solutions manual for Elementary Statistics Using The Graphing Calculator 9 Ed by MILTON LOYER
Do you suffer from a tough class? Are you looking for instructor solutions manual to do your homework? Just send me email with its name and edition and I may be able to help you in low price! It is my list, however if you don't find it here don't give up because it is only a list of some. Please , DO NOT REPLY HERE , instead send me email to : cartermath(at)gmail(dot)com instructor's,solutions,manual,for,A,Course,in,Modern,Mathematical,Physics,b= y,Peter,Szekeres instructor's,solutions,manual,for,A,First,Course,in,Abstract,Algebra, (7th,Ed.,,John,B.,Fraleigh), instructor...

CRM Outlook Client 3.0
Since installing the Outlook client my Exchange server has been running close to 99% of the CPU. If I disable the addin then everything runs fine. It seems to be only 2 specific users creating the problem. I've tried one of the user on a clean install on another PC and still have the same issue. If I run Outlook in Cache mode than it is the clients CPU and hardrive that are extremely busy. I've open a case with Microsoft over 2 weeks now and have yet to get a resolution. Hoping someone out there has an idea. We're using Outlook 2003 SP2, Windows XP SP2 Also same issue runni...

Printing Deposits
Posting again with my email address. There is a print option on the deposit transaction entry, but I can't find the way to actually print them. Can anyone help? ...

Error ID 1016 (Network Compromise)
I've been going through my event logs, and starting two days ago, I've seen domain users showing up in Error ID 1016 with the following message: domain\username has logged on to domain\username's mailbox and is not the Primary WinNT account. It would suggest that someone is reading someone else's mail. However, it's rampant- I'm receiving the error from multiple users accessing multiple mailboxes. It does not coincide with a backup and I've never seen the message prior to two days ago? What on earth is this? Additionally, I had a strong password (just changed it)...