upgrading from Money 99 to Money 2003

I successfully install Money 2003, but when I try and
open my existing Money 99 .mny file the program hangs and
eventually gives me an error message as follows:

Microsoft Money has encountered a problem and needs to
close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

What is wrong?

Thanks,
Chuck
0
cshoupe (2)
12/31/2003 4:04:19 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

Can you create a new Money file or open any other Money files? If so, (and I
suspect this to be the case), your file probably has some corruption.  Try
using the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;182608

Since you just upgraded, you have several options, including going back to
99 and repairing the file there.

"Chuck Shoupe" <cshoupe@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
> I successfully install Money 2003, but when I try and
> open my existing Money 99 .mny file the program hangs and
> eventually gives me an error message as follows:
>
> Microsoft Money has encountered a problem and needs to
> close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.
>
> What is wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Chuck

0
bjclarinet (489)
12/31/2003 3:06:48 PM
Your post finally pushed me over the edge to write a new FAQ item that
should be up on the web shortly:
---
Q): I thought Money files were supposed to be upward compatible. How come
Money[new] crashes when upgrading my Money[old] data file?
     [Relevant to Money2003 (v.11) and up]

A): Most users find the file upgrade process painless. Beginning with M03, a
significant number of users don't. For these users, a range of outcomes from
Money just crashing to misleading error messages about the file being
read-only to missing data in the upgrade file result instead. The exact
reasons for this are unclear, but it would appear that the upgrade code has
become much less tolerant to "damaged" files. (Here a "damaged" file means a
file that has somehow become inconsistent with itself or not conforming to
the "normal" structure. Here "somehow" generally seems to be by Money
itself, though things like End Task when the CPU shows 100% use by Money and
the application is reported as not responding "just because" Money is slow
and non-responsive may also be factors.)

The workarounds identified include:

- Many users have found success by running the msmoney -s repair technique
on the original data file from the original version then upgrading the
repaired file. For people who have nothing left of the original version
besides a set of backup floppies, this is not an option.

- Using the salv.exe repair tool from the newer version or from Microsoft
Support on the data file before upgrading then upgrading the repaired file.
As above, this method does not work with .MBF files or with .MBF files
spread across multiple floppy disks.

(For more information of the repair tools and file corruption in general,
see "I think my file has been corrupted. How do I tell? What do I do then?")

- Some users have found/and or been advised by Microsoft Support that an
intermediate upgrade through, say, M02, first solved the problem. Of course,
finding a CD of M02 can be difficult.

- Some users have ended up resorting to QIF Export/Import to get the data
out of the old version and into the new version as a better choice than
losing all of their data completely. This is a last resort.

- Some files that could not upgrade in M03 can upgrade in M04.

Note that several of these methods do not apply if all you have is backup
floppies or files. This is one reason that we always recommend upgrading by
moving the entire original .MNY data file rather than going through the
backup/restore process.

Finally, note that it is probably a good idea to confirm your installation
of the new version of Money is good before going down any of these paths. To
do this, open the Sample data file located in the Program Files\Microsoft
Money directory or try to create a new file.

"Chuck Shoupe" <cshoupe@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
> I successfully install Money 2003, but when I try and
> open my existing Money 99 .mny file the program hangs and
> eventually gives me an error message as follows:
>
> Microsoft Money has encountered a problem and needs to
> close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.
>
> What is wrong?

Thanks for your help, but so far nothing has worked.  I
still have a working Money99 on another computer.  I am
able to install Money99 on this computer and open my .mny
file.  I ran the "c:\program files\microsoft
money\msmoney.exe" -s before upgrading to M03 but that
didn't help.  When I tried to run salv.exe it
said "Invalid database".  My next step is to uninstall
M03 and re-install M99, then run the "c:\program
files\microsoft money\msmoney.exe" -s and then try and
upgrade to M02.  I'll let u know if that works.  If u
have any other ideas, please post them or email me.

Thanks!
Chuck

0
cshoupe (2)
12/31/2003 9:55:28 PM
I am having the same problem trying to read a Money 99
file and upgrade to Money 2002.  Have 2 computers - one
came with 99 and CD, and the other recent came with Money
2002 (no CD) Don't want to lose all the data and
settings.  Only option I can see is to remove Money 2002,
load Money 99 on the new computer and read the file.

Overall, concerned with continuing with 99, especially
since there have been so many mew releases after.
Originally started with Money 95 and upgraded to Money
99,  lost couple years data in the process.

All suggestions appreciated.
-Thanks
Pat

0
Taxifrum (1)

Outlook 2003 News

Money Plus not Updating Quotes

Outlook 2003 #79

Help Required

Canadian Mergers 2003

Outlook 2003 with XP SP2

Filters in Excel 2003

Changing font in Money 2004 register?

Outlook 2007 Calendar -> Outlook 2003

PDA-Outlook 2003

Merge code issues with Publisher 2003

Money 2004 Debt Planner #2

Word 2003: Will it work on Windows 7 Pro

Excel 2003