Transfer combined investment transactions to multiple new accounts

In Money 2005 Deluxe, I have an investment account (with related cash
account) with about two years of transactions. This mutual fund account (TRP)
uses a separate account number for each mutual fund holding so that when I
upgraded to Money 2005 and set up on line services for this account it
downloaded each mutual fund investment as a new account.  I can't merge all
of these duplicate accounts in Money as it only allows you to merge one time
so I then transfered (using copy) all my investment transaction from the
combined existing account to each of the new individual investment accounts.
I then deleted all transactions in the old combined investment account.  Now
I have a combined old cash account that I need to copy to the new investment
cash accounts but I don't know what impact this will have on my other
accounts.

Is there a good safe way to get the combined accounts (both investment and
related cash account) into the new separate accounts without messing up data
in all my other accounts?
0
Keefer (13)
11/9/2004 2:09:01 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

I did not get a reply to my post yet so thought I would post my procedures to
those of interest.  I got a response from Microsoft that this is generally
the only way to split out a combined investment account.

Backgound:  TR Price uses a separate account number for each mutual fund
owned so that when Money 2005 downloads transactions it does so for each
account number separately (and actually creates the new accounts in Money).
I had all my TR Price funds in a single combined account. The only solution I
came up with to get this combined account into separate accounts (about seven
accounts)is as follows:

1) Set up each of the new separate accounts.

2) For each investment transactions in the old combined account I copied the
transaction to the appropriate new account.
This created a duplicate investment cash transaction in the old combined
investment cash account since that copy was still looking to the old combined
account for the offset cash account.

3) Edited each duplicate cash transaction in the combined account to change
the account to the new sparate account.

4) Then for cash transfers out of the old combined investment cash account
to a nonrelated checking account, I needed to copy each tranfer out from the
combined account to each of the new accounts effected by this transfer.

5) Then I went into each of the new investment cash accounts and edited the
amounts so that it they would agree with the amount edited into it from the
old combined accounts.

(With five years of transations involving the seven mutual funds it was very
tedious and required balancing back to my statements from TR Price to ensure
that I had not missed a transaction.)

6) When I was satisfied I had got all transactions in the appropriate
account I then deleted the old combined account.

7) Lastly, I now had duplicate transactions in my checking accounts to which
the funds were originally transfered to from the old combined investment cash
account.  I identified these by looking at all transactions categorized in
the Transfer to (from) deleted accounts using the Money category lookup.  I
deleted these duplicates in the checking account and verified that my
non-related checking accounts were in balance.  Hint, watch for splits in the
checking account deposit transaction and only delete the transactions within
the split that came from the deleted combined account.

Whew!  What a process.  Makes me tired just writing down what I had to go
though......

"Keefer" wrote:

> In Money 2005 Deluxe, I have an investment account (with related cash
> account) with about two years of transactions. This mutual fund account (TRP)
> uses a separate account number for each mutual fund holding so that when I
> upgraded to Money 2005 and set up on line services for this account it
> downloaded each mutual fund investment as a new account.  I can't merge all
> of these duplicate accounts in Money as it only allows you to merge one time
> so I then transfered (using copy) all my investment transaction from the
> combined existing account to each of the new individual investment accounts.
> I then deleted all transactions in the old combined investment account.  Now
> I have a combined old cash account that I need to copy to the new investment
> cash accounts but I don't know what impact this will have on my other
> accounts.
>
> Is there a good safe way to get the combined accounts (both investment and
> related cash account) into the new separate accounts without messing up data
> in all my other accounts?
0
Keefer (13)
11/13/2004 11:31:01 PM
This would be very easy if entered manually. I know that may not help.

"Keefer" <Keefer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I did not get a reply to my post yet so thought I would post my procedures
> those of interest.  I got a response from Microsoft that this is generally
> the only way to split out a combined investment account.
> Whew!  What a process.  Makes me tired just writing down what I had to go
> though......

Watch Accounts
I've set up a watch account to use as a model for an investing strategy I'd like to try. In doing so, I want to be able to track theoretical purchases and sales of individual stocks. I want to track sales and realized gains on my Account Summary window, so I've customized my view to do that. After entering a purchase, the stock shows up just fine on my account summary, but after I sell all shares, it no longer shows up so I'm not able to track realized gains. How can I get Money to continue to display the stocks I no longer "own" in my watch account? a w...

multiple flyers per page?

Removing multiple users from Outlook

Receipt not in Item Transaction Inquiry
I have a client that uses project accounting. They have received against a purchase order. The receipt shows up in the Purchase Receipts Inquiry, but does not show up in the Item Transaction Inquiry. What could be causing this? ...

Multiple stacked bar charts

Transferring control of CClientDC to CDC
Hi, I have a class MSWinDisplayManager which I want to take a CClientDC device context so that it's member functions can perform drawing routines on it. I want the class to have it's own CClientDC member which all the methods have access to draw on. My constructor looks like this: MSWinDisplayManager::MSWinDisplayManager(CClientDC& win) { private_win.attach(win); } This is called by the user like: CClientDC dlg(this); MSWinDisplayManager wdm(dlg); then I want to do things like: wdm.drawCars(); The problem I have is that private_win isn't getting control of the device ...

Converting Opportunity to Account

OLK 2k7

Setting up a new e-mail account

Multiple Simultaneous Outlook Sessions

Single click selects multiple cells

Archiving Projects in Project Accounting
Has anyone found a way to archive closed projects? Thanks. ...

printing multiple copies of Sigel GmbH

Receiving Transaction Entry #2

Macro

Outllok 2003 reply with wrong account
Howdy - I have Outlook 2003. For some reason my new pc has started doing the same thing as my previous one. I have 5 email accounts. When a person sends me an email to my default account and I reply, it comes from another account. In theory (and it did until the last couple of days) it should come from the account I received the email in.... I change the smtp settings on the accounts as I travel a lot, but other than that I haven't changed anything that I know of to cause this - anyone had the same problem, or better yet - know how to fixt it???!!! Thanks in advance Ron ...

Re-enabled user account cannot log in
In trying to troubleshoot and issue in CRM where I had multiple user accounts for a single ADUC user, I tried disabling and re-enabling a user's account. But even after re-enabling the account the user cannot log in now. The error message says that it is disallowed when he tries to browse to the CRM server. Please help, I need to get this user account working again asap. Joel ...

Integration Transactions Pls help
Can anyone let me know how much time does the integration manager takes to upload a 10,000 lines(SOP) into GP There are two methods of importing SOP transactions. One uses the SQL optimized adapter and one does not. The method used depends upon the data you would need to map. There are some fields and business logic not available with the SQL adapter. But, assuming you are using the SQL adapter, you should be able to import 10,000 transactions in about 60 minutes or less. If you are using the other one, start it and go home for the night. It will take hours. If you have some reso...