Something destroying Money data

My MS Money 2007 software was working fine, and then a few months ago,
there were transactions missing.  I went for backups, and it seemed
every time I opened a MOney file there were fewer transactions--it was
truly weird.  Thinking a file had been accidentally deleted, I used a
file recovery program and retrieved file and backup - also no data.

So I just put the whole thing aside and out of mind, but tried again
today and searched all partitions for mny and mbf files..  Same
result, if anything fewer transactions.   Is there some virus or other
malware that eats Money files?

I guess I can download again from bank and credit cards, but what a
hassle.

0
whoozit (13)
1/8/2009 12:19:51 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, whoozit@gmail.com wrote:

>My MS Money 2007 software was working fine, and then a few months ago,
>there were transactions missing.  I went for backups, and it seemed
>every time I opened a MOney file there were fewer transactions--it was
>truly weird.  Thinking a file had been accidentally deleted, I used a
>file recovery program and retrieved file and backup - also no data.

Make sure the View on the register(s) is set to show all
transactions.

Do not "Archive".

>So I just put the whole thing aside and out of mind, but tried again
>today and searched all partitions for mny and mbf files..  Same
>result, if anything fewer transactions.   Is there some virus or other
>malware that eats Money files?
>
>I guess I can download again from bank and credit cards, but what a
>hassle.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
1/8/2009 12:41:38 AM
On Jan 7, 4:41=A0pm, Cal Learner-- MVP <via_newsgr...@please.tnx> wrote:
> In microsoft.public.money, whoo...@gmail.com wrote:
> >My MS Money 2007 software was working fine, and then a few months ago,
> >there were transactions missing. =A0I went for backups, and it seemed
> >every time I opened a MOney file there were fewer transactions--it was
> >truly weird. =A0Thinking a file had been accidentally deleted, I used a
> >file recovery program and retrieved file and backup - also no data.
>
> Make sure the View on the register(s) is set to show all
> transactions.
>
> Do not "Archive".
>

> >So I just put the whole thing aside and out of mind, but tried again
> >today and searched all partitions for mny and mbf files.. =A0Same
> >result, if anything fewer transactions. =A0 Is there some virus or other
> >malware that eats Money files?
>
> >I guess I can download again from bank and credit cards, but what a
> >hassle.

I had checked the VIew on both credit card and checking account.
Today I opened it again, ade sure I had all transactions for all
dates--and there were all the transactions back to 2005.  I don;t
understand what happened  But I'm backing up the file to my external
hard disk right now.
0
whoozit (13)
1/8/2009 6:21:06 PM
In microsoft.public.money, whoozit@gmail.com wrote:

>I had checked the VIew on both credit card and checking account.
>Today I opened it again, ade sure I had all transactions for all
>dates--and there were all the transactions back to 2005.  I don;t
>understand what happened  But I'm backing up the file to my external
>hard disk right now.

Cool. While your adrenaline is running, I suggest you review your
backup policies. Here is what I would suggest:

In M07: Tools->Settings->BackupSettings
I suggest checking
 x Automatically backup my Money file every time I close Money
  Save in [a place on your hard drive ]
   x Ask me before backing up each time*
   x Compress Backup Files
   Keep only the _20_most recent backup files [adjust to taste]

 x Perform scheduled backups every _14_ days
  Save in [a USB flash drive location]
   x Ask me before backing up each time*
   x Compress Backup Files
   Keep only the _2_most recent backup files [adjust to taste,
    but Money 2007 does not automatically trim to USB as it should
    --fixed in Money Plus]

Then periodically, perhaps once per month or more, copy your latest
backup (uniquely named by Money) to a CDR.  With XP, this can be a
copy and paste operation.  Otherwise use the burning software that
came with your CDR drive.

I strongly suggest use of a USB Flash drive rather than floppies.
They are bigger, so you don't have to swap media to back up.  Plus
they are much more reliable (but not failure-proof).

* The reason I have Money ask me, is that I don't want to back up
each time I exit.  If I went into Money 5 times in a day, I would
not want to back up 5 times, nor would I want to delete 5 other
backup files.  You will be given the choice to BackUpNow or to
Postpone. Also, for USB flash drive, it gives you a chance to plug
in the drive if it is not already plugged in.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)

add a data label
How do i add a data label for my y-axis on a line graph created in word? I presume the Word chart has been created with MS Chart? If so Double-click to activate the edit mode for the chart, then choose Chart, Chart Options, Data Labels.. If the chart is an Excel Object then you use the same steps. -- Cheers, Shane Devenshire "dragonfly" wrote: > How do i add a data label for my y-axis on a line graph created in word? ...

Data Validation using List (But needs unique list in drop down lis
Hi all, In sheet 1, column A is my title name while column B is person name. Sheet 1 is my database where i do data entry in this. In sheet 2, contains my query page. In cell A5, i uses data validation - list, on this cell. Say in sheet 1 : column A column B XXXXXXX Mr A YYYYYYYY Mr A ZZZZZZZZ Mr A AAAAAAA Mr B WWWWW Mr C DDDDDDD Mr C But In sheet 2, cell A5, I saw in the drop down list as follows: Mr A Mr A Mr A Mr B Mr C Mr C But i want to see this in cell A5 instead (Unique name that is) : Mr A Mr B Mr C ...

Overwriting data
I have a macro set up to submit data from an entry point on one worksheet into a database on the other. Basically, I enter the info on the first worksheet, hit submit, and it transfers it to the second worksheet. My question is, how do i make it skip to the next line on the second worksheet so that it logs all the submits rather then overwriting the previous? Thanks! -- na This will get you to the cell just below the last populated cell of column A: Application.Goto Reference:="R65536C1" Selection.End(xlUp).Select Selection.Offset(1, 0).Select (You could get this row into a ...

microsoft money #10
I tried to open Money on my computer (version 2003) The original page was replaced by Microsoft. How did this happen? How to I get my original files? What "original page"? What makes you say it "was replaced by Microsoft"? Have you tried opening your original files? (Money File|Open or double-click on them from Windows Explorer.) "DR support" <DRsupport@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AB8D2DDB-8EA1-4665-A875-D19A468B19AA@microsoft.com... >I tried to open Money on my computer (version 2003) The original page was > replaced by Mi...

Something wrong with the site???
Why are none of the post from yesterday or today showing up?! On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 18:58:01 -0800, QB <QB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Why are none of the post from yesterday or today showing up?! It's a problem with the Microsoft webpage. It's been reported and hopefully is fixed, or will be soon (I did see your post!) Note that the forum is NOT the same as the webpage. The webpage is just one of many ways to see the posts on the Newsgroup. Another (better, IMO) method is to use a "Newsreader" - I use Agent (www.forteinc.com), or you can use Outlo...

Conditional format that higlights differing data on two worksheets
I have a workbook that contains a worksheet for a single week of any given month and in the sheet I have an individual's time reported for each day of the week. I have a second workbook that contains an individual's time reported by each day for the entire month. I would like to compare the two to determine if there is a mismatch and highlight those cells. The logic goes something like this: (1) I need to match person A in column C of workbook1 to the same name in column C in workbook2. (2) I then need to match the date of the month on workbook 1 & 2 for person A in step #1. (3)...

Skip blank or N/A in data analysis
Hi, I try to do data analysis (such as regression) to two data columns X ~ Y. Under some condition, some of the Y values are blank or (#N/A). When I do X-Y chart, those points are ignored. However, when I select the same columns to do regress or any other data analysis, I got the error saying "Input range containing non-numeric data". I don't want to put any number like 0 for those to distort my result. I just want to ignore or skip those N/A data. Is there a way I can do it without removing those data? Because the N/A location depends on a variable (a condition). I ...

Money 2004 Upgrade Problem
I've been using Money 2003 small business. When I put in Money 2004 Standard it converted my files to 2004. I want the full small business functionality but now cannot open my files in 2003. The error reads: "Money cannot locate '(file name)' or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read-only file or you do not have permission to change it or your disk drive is write protected." I know the file is not read-only and is not open in another program. I also have the permission to change files on my computer. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do? I'm prett...

Migrating data from ACT to CRM (how to get at act! data)
I intend on using the DMF to migrate data to CRM. The question I have is how do I get at the underlying database that ACT uses. I see the MS excel file for ACT has table and field mappings but I need to do some specialized SQL. I can't seem to figure out though how to get into the SQL database where the ACT information is stored. How do I log into that database? Thanks! -Elie From my days working with ACT, I thought the databse was built around Microsoft Access. If indeed the databas is SQL then you should be able to get your SQL DBA to grant you access to the SQL Database. -- Rgds...

Data Analysis Plus Add-In
My Data Analysis Plus add-in has disappeared. I had it installed at one time, but now it is gone. I've attempted to reinstall the add-in several times and rebooted each time, but to no avail. Running XP Pro and Office Pro software. Any ideas? Thanks, MJ You probably have done this but .... have you looked at Tools/Addins . there is a Browse button in case Excel cannot find it ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

How do you replace old data with new data without creating a new .
I have existing pivot tables and I want to replace the data source worksheet with new data and the pivot tables update with the new information. I have replace the data source but the pivot tables didn't update. Hit the "Refresh Data" in the pivot table toolbar (looks like an exclamation point) -- Regards, Dave "Dena" wrote: > I have existing pivot tables and I want to replace the data source worksheet > with new data and the pivot tables update with the new information. I have > replace the data source but the pivot tables didn't update. So...

Move Data From Vertical to Horizontal
How do I get my speadsheet to move from vertical meaning: Name Type Hours Bob Regular 80.00 Bob OT 10.00 To look like this: Name Regular OT Bob 80.00 10.00 If anyone can help PLEASE comment. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You can create a pivot table to summarize the data. There are some instructions and links here: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm For ...

publisher: 4 Millions Domains data with Category
Successfull Internet and Direct Marketing products on www.promotionsite.net * NEW * DOMUS Domains Toolkit Fall 2004 - Unique on the Net 4 Millions "Whois" Domains data with Expiration Date and Category*. Ultimate Version (October 2004) - Our best rate starts from US *$149*. A wonderful tool for Internet and Direct Marketing. Available in Basic, Advanced and Full Editions. It contains a domain database with 4 millions *FRESH* October 2004 New records .com, .net, .org. 4 Gigabytes MS Excel data zipped on CD-Roms/Dvd. Compression 3:1. MS Excel or Text tab del...

Exporting global data from a DLL to an EXE
Hi, I have a "Win32 Application" and I must use some global data defined(and initialized) in a DLL linked to the Application. As suggested by MSDN,I have exported this global data from the DLL in this way: - In the DLL, I have used the keyword DLLEXPORT - In the EXE I have used the keyword DLLIMPORT But when I run the EXE the application crashes! The problem is that, in the EXE, the imported global data are all equal to zero and the application doesn't see the initializationsdone in the DLL! Does someone know where is the problem? Thanks to All. M Micheles, I don&#...

Import data from Money 2002 to Excel
Hi, I'd like to import some transactions history from Money 2002 into Excel. Does anybody know how I can do this? Thx. In microsoft.public.money, Nick wrote: >Hi, > >I'd like to import some transactions history from Money >2002 into Excel. Does anybody know how I can do this? Prepare a report in Money and right-click into it. You can copy and paste or choose Export.... For more sophisticated information access, search Google for Moneylink. ...

Data Entry
I know that you can go to tools/options/edit to change the next cell after you enter. I would like to go across the row instead of down the column. Is there any way to make that selection just for a workbook, . The change seems to be global until you change the preference again. Thanks, one way is to add this code in your sheet code Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 1).Activate End Sub play with it. Cesar Zapata John wrote: > I know that you can go to tools/options/edit to change the next cell after > you enter. I would like to ...

pie-charting non-numeric data
I would like to chart and graph responses to a survey that are non-numeric in nature, such as a bar graph for "yes" and no" responses to a question. Or in particular a pie chart that shows how many people picked option "P" vs. "K", "J" or "N". For the pie chart I have a column of data cells, each containing one of the four letters. In short, how do I accomplish charting and/or graphing non-numeric responses? So you have a column of Yes/No or P/K or J/N? Construct a pivot table of this range, and you can produce counts of each value...

Exract Data And Error Msg
ERROR MSG: Microsoft Excel cannot determine which row in your list or selection contains column labels which are required for this operation I can’t figure out why: The names of my Columns are as follows: ITEM QTY DAYS TOTAL I formatted them as Text. How do I make Excel know they are column labels and furthermore… I am composing an invoice for my rental business. I have set up a sheet with all the items that I rent. The cost of each item is determined by the number of items time the number of days rented. I would like to extract, to a separate location,(sheet 2) only the items that we...

How do you import data from one Excel document to another?
Hey everyone, I work at a school and I'm trying to update their attendance reports from hand written to excel, but I'm running into several problems. For one, I need it to be able to calculate how many "Ab"s (absents) there are in the worksheet (for the individual student's attendance page). And THEN, I need to have the sum show up on a completely new document (for the overall attendance report). Is that possible? I've fooled around with data importing and several other things, but I'm just too new at this. If what I'm asking is possible, can anyone he...

Copy & Paste Data from Web into Excel
When I do the above & use Vlookup for numerical data the numeric data is not recognised, although some data are in another excel workbook. How can I sort the data from the web so that I can do a proper vlookup What looks like a numeric field is actually text. This trick often works: In an empty cell enter the value 1 and copy it Select the offending numbers and use Edit/Paste Special->multiply Delete the cell with the 1 Best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "Kelvin Pakaree" <k.pakaree@credcor.co.za> wrote in mes...

trouble changing data type
I am running MS Access 2007 on Windows XP Professional 2002 (SP2). I need to change the data type of a single field in a table containing just over 1.4M records in order to link it with another table and run a Make-Table Query, but Access is telling me I do not have enough memory to change the data type. I have 1GB of RAM and a Pentium 4, 2.79 GHz processor. Am I out of luck based on the equiptment I am working with, or is there a way around this? Much appreciated. -- Kevin Philadelphia, PA First backup your database. Next Compact and Repair. Third add the new field datatype. C...

data labels disappear from graph when i close the worksheet
I have added datalabels to a bar graph. But they go away when i close the worksheet despite having saved the changes. Could any one elt me know why this is happening? Thanks ...

Time entered (and handled as data) in simple minutes and seconds.
Using Excel 2003. How can I get Excel to display and handle entries for duration in minutes and seconds only (without having to enter a 4'30" entry as 0:04:30)? I have gotten as far as getting it to display as "04:30.0", but all I need is single digit minutes (data on this spreadsheet will never go over 9:59) and double digit seconds (and to be able to enter them simply as in "4:30"). I couldn't find that as an option in the ones listed for time in the cell format dialogue box. Right now I have to enter 0:04:30 in order to get it to work right. Is t...

addressing envelope from data input form
I don't know where to start to try this. I have the following fields that make up the entire address: Fname Lname Fname2 Lname 2 Address City, State Zip Is there any way to "push a button" on a form and have it print an envelope for that record? Thanks in advance for any help. -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com Have you thought of using an MS template as a starting point? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT101172481033.aspx Dave Eliot wrote: >I don't know where to start to try this. > >I have the following fields ...

Changing font size in data validation drop-down lists
In Excel 2003, I created the value list on a separate worksheet and labled the range so I could use it in the data validation wizard on a different worksheet. The list is working fine; however, the font size in the drop-down list is too small to comfortably read. So far, I have tried: Making the font in the list larger. Formatting larger font size in the active cell with the drop-down button And, creating the list on the same worksheet. All three remedies have not increased the size of the font in the drop-down list. Suggestions are welcome. Great Optimism, Dutch Driver There is n...