Share database over home network?

I have a home network with both machines running Win XP and MS Money 2006. I
keep track of things on one computer, but now, with the computers networked
properly together through a router, I would like to share the database that
resides on one machine for the user of another machine to view and edit if
need be. Is this possible and if so, then how? How can I keep it secure in
the event that a hacker gets into one or more machines (have never had that
issue, but best safe than sorry)? Any other suggestions and whatnot with
this kind of setup? I plan on keeping a tally on about 5 accounts. Thanks
much.

0
askmefirst (29)
7/9/2007 8:17:06 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

Money files can be used over the network via a shared folder. But beware
that two Money applications accessing the file at the same time can cause
corruption since Money doesn't protect against it. You will also see some
performance impact using Money files over a network. Money makes LOTS of
small file reads and net latency has an impact here. As to security, this
seems like a much bigger issue than the Money file alone and should be
treated as such.

"Mark G." <askmefirst@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have a home network with both machines running Win XP and MS Money 2006.
>I keep track of things on one computer, but now, with the computers
>networked properly together through a router, I would like to share the
>database that resides on one machine for the user of another machine to
>view and edit if need be. Is this possible and if so, then how? How can I
>keep it secure in the event that a hacker gets into one or more machines
>(have never had that issue, but best safe than sorry)? Any other
>suggestions and whatnot with this kind of setup? I plan on keeping a tally
>on about 5 accounts. Thanks much.

Thanks for the info. Anyone else have more they can add? In this case, the
file database would never be accessed at the same time so I am thinking that
a chance of corruption is slim. In this case, wouldn't you agree?

message news:uvqrteiwHHA.4300@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Money files can be used over the network via a shared folder. But beware
> that two Money applications accessing the file at the same time can cause
> corruption since Money doesn't protect against it. You will also see some
> performance impact using Money files over a network. Money makes LOTS of
> small file reads and net latency has an impact here. As to security, this
> seems like a much bigger issue than the Money file alone and should be
> treated as such.
>
> "Mark G." <askmefirst@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I have a home network with both machines running Win XP and MS Money 2006.
>>I keep track of things on one computer, but now, with the computers
>>networked properly together through a router, I would like to share the
>>database that resides on one machine for the user of another machine to
>>view and edit if need be. Is this possible and if so, then how? How can I
>>keep it secure in the event that a hacker gets into one or more machines
>>(have never had that issue, but best safe than sorry)? Any other
>>suggestions and whatnot with this kind of setup? I plan on keeping a tally
>>on about 5 accounts. Thanks much.

0
askmefirst (29)
7/11/2007 7:03:47 AM
It's pretty easy to forget and leave one copy of Money running. I've done
it. Wasn't pretty. Be sure to have good backups.

But, yes, if you don't ever access the file--i.e., have Money running--at
the same time, the only issue should be performance and it's usually not too
bad, particularly on a wired full-duplex network.

> In this case, the file database would never be accessed at the same time
> so I am thinking that a chance of corruption is slim. In this case,
> wouldn't you agree?

Updating a database 08-22-07
Hello, I use to work with a database I created; I run this database in a little business of mine and I use to work in the database in my house. Usually I add new tables, forms, queries and reports in my house and then I go to my business and import the new things. But when I make too many changes it becomes complicated. Does anybody know some way to do this updating process in a better way? Thanks and Regards, Ibrahim -- Ibrahim You should be working with a split frontend/backend database. The backend databse has just your tables and would remain at work. The frontend database has al...

Student Log in network, Preview Report, then exit and log out
I set up single report 'rptStudent', a custom toolbar with print button. When student logs in network computer with student ID (like 881234567), I want: 1. my access start (I can put shortcut in startup) 2. automatically print preview rptStudent with student ID as criteria 3. when student close the print preview, it exits Access and logs off network automatically Can I use Dev Ashish's get user name: http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0008.htm ? How to put verything together? Thanks. found solution in http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0016.htm "Song Su" <csi...

Sharing and Solver
I have just discovered there is an issue if a Worksheet/Workbook is shared and you want to utilize Solver. It appears it can't be done. Is there some way around it? We have a large number of sheets going out to our managers and I am planning on teaching them how to use the What If tools like Scenarios and Solver ....and we also send them out shared to make merging their changes a breeze. Please help! Dave French "David French" wrote: > I have just discovered there is an issue if a Worksheet/Workbook is shared > and you want to utilize Solver. > It appears i...

edit variable length items in "Access" database tables
In my database table I am holding a variable length item in a database record; the item may be from two to six alphabetic characters long. Trailiing spaces pad the item where required. To print out the item in a report, the item itself is sandwiched between two fixed-length items separated by an oblique stroke, (forward slash): - ***/variable length/***. How can I suppress the trailing spaces in my variable length item when printing results ? Yours Sincerely, CHARLES WALKER Take a look at the RTrim function or even the Trim function. RTrim(SomeField) will trim trailing spaces off a...

cannot receive e-mails, network password is not working
Have you double checked the password to make sure it's still valid? "irisheyes" <irisheyes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF861D77-9CD0-46E3-835A-A17BF2701810@microsoft.com... > ...

Shared 2007 Workbook, 3MB, 15 users, locks up after 2-3 hours of u
I) Scenario: A 3Mb Excel 2007 workbook with a single tab sheet is shared between 10 to 15 users who make changes to unprotected cells only and save regularly after every change is made. Each user makes about 100 to 200 saved changed over an 8 hour shift and a time span of 2-3 weeks. Networked PCs have 2GB RAM with users accessing 3 to 5 other programs besides Excel (Outlook, Acrobat, LPS, Company Intranet site, Internet sites,...) II) Issue/symptoms: a. everything works smoothly for 1 hour or 2, then some users start to get the message that the sheet is locked and they need t...

Home Asset Account
I have a home asset account and an associated mortgage account. My house recently increased in value due to an appraisal and I added the value increase in the home asset account. Unfornately, it looks like I earned that money in my monthly report. BAsically, Money is treating the added valuation as income. How do I get around this isse? You don't. Why would you want to? Did you use some category that reports ass taxable income in the tax reports? "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5B330717-A63B-46EA-8E77-D3B719130A2F@microsoft.com......

Macro Error when moved Xcel Sheets from User's Home Dir to Networ
Hello Xcel spreadsheets Copied from User's Network Home Folder to Another Network Folder. copy \\network\home\userA\*x.s \\network\REPGROUP Getting "object variable or with block.." What else I need to copy, when copying from one network location to another. I reverted back to old way, still same problem Thanks Basheer Use FileCopy to copy files. -- Jim "Basheer" <Basheer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:744DF6C5-96B3-48B2-99AF-657487D87FCD@microsoft.com... | Hello | Xcel spreadsheets Copied from User's Network Home Folder to Another...

GP database recovery mode
Hi, It appears that database created by GP appears to be in 'Simple' recovery mode. Is this by design? It prevents backing up transaction logs. For the time being, I’ve disabled the job that (attempts) to do a transaction log backup, and set the full backup job to occur every 4 hrs. Is there any way I can backup the transaction logs too. Thanks, Sri Sri, GP databases are created using the Simple Recovery Model by default, not by design. Which means that you can always go back to SQL Server Management Studio and change the database recovery model to Full Recovery Model. Once...

drop down symbol and a database attached to it
I type in customer name every week in to a new worksheet( some times customers are not same as previous week) into a column. I like to know if there is a way to add a drop down symbol to each cell and a database of cutomer names, so that i can select the name from th list, thank for the help Data>Validation>Settings>Allow>List where you enter an equal sign and and a named range containing customer names, such as =MyCustomers OR refer to the range that holds the custimer names =M2:M100 OR list the names, each sparated by a comma and no spaces such as: sanik,Jim, etc. -- Greeting...

Share database over home network?
I have a home network with both machines running Win XP and MS Money 2006. I keep track of things on one computer, but now, with the computers networked properly together through a router, I would like to share the database that resides on one machine for the user of another machine to view and edit if need be. Is this possible and if so, then how? How can I keep it secure in the event that a hacker gets into one or more machines (have never had that issue, but best safe than sorry)? Any other suggestions and whatnot with this kind of setup? I plan on keeping a tally on about 5 accounts...

Shared Calendars not Displaying User Name
Outlook 2003 / Exchange 2003, both fully patched and running on XP Pro SP2. Shared calendars added under "Open a shared calendar". Header of calendars only displays "Calendar", not the username of the shared calendar owner. How can I get Outlook to display the username, please. At the moment I have multiple calendars open and they all are headed "Calendar". Not very useful :-( TIA, Bill http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2005/20050809.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for W...

i share my copmuter. how can i setup seperate new user account
hello. i want to setup a new outlook user account but i share my copmuter with another users Maybe asking in a newsgroup dedicated to Outlook would be better. sofia wrote: > > hello. i want to setup a new outlook user account but i share my copmuter > with another users -- Dave Peterson Connect to an Outlook newsgroup through.............. http://aumha.org/nntp.htm Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 05:39:01 -0700, sofia <sofia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >hello. i want to setup a new outlook user account but i share my copmuter >with anoth...

Excel version in Office Home & Student full featured??
I am thinking about buying H&S with Excel, but need to know if it has: All the functions in the full Excel version? Visual Basic for Excel, so I can write complex macros? I have some macros already written, and intend to buy a commercial app which plugs into Excel. Bob Yes, there is no difference -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "bobber" <bobber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EFFF9021-4A14-4213-A076-B977ADA75E2A@microsoft.com... >I am thinking about buying H&S with Excel, but need to know if it has: > > All the f...

saving to network drive
I am using excel 2003 from SBE. If I use Tools-Options-Security and set a password for encryption and read-only access then the workbook hangs when I try to save to a network drive (W2K3). If I remove the passwords then everything OK. ...

Utilities to repair public and private database
What utilities are out there to repair public and private database. My Information Store services will not start and I am not able to move mailboxes to another server. I have moved all the mdbdata to a backup directory and started the services fine, but I need to get all of that data back. I do not have a recent backup. There should be some utilities that are out there to fix a database. Thanks I use exchange 5.5 - and use eseutil and isinteg, isinteg offers a check without fix mode you can run first just to see how much destruction you are going to cause when you run it in repair mod...

Tried to record Database Wizard V2003
I've tried to record a macro of 'Database Wizard' and it is blank. It is possible to pass parameters to the wizard using VBA? Dave The Database Wizard is a Visio add-on and does not participate in Macro Recorded actions directly. -- Mark Nelson Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "dave" <shollas@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:uyqTjCCNFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I've tried to record a macro of 'Database Wizard' and it is blank. It is > possible to pass para...

Need to use a textfield with many rows for my database
Hi everyone, This is probably a universal problem since textfield is restricted to 255 bits. Now, I need to create a database (and form) that allows user to input a lot of text (a sort of "comment logg"). I'm sure there's a ready solution to this but I can't find it. Guess I need to use an external textfile... but how can I set it up so that the Form input ends up in the textfile, and the text itself can be loaded by queries? Kindly, Mikael Sweden Mikael A "memo" data type field can hold 65,000+ characters, where the text type is limited to 255. In my...

Headers on a Shared Workbook
We have a shared workbook on a network which is being accessed by two users. The workbook is not saved on either of the two computers who are accessing it. All of the changes that are being made in the workbook are being saved correctly so that each of the users sees the same changes. However, when one user changed and saved the header (file, page setup, header/footer tab) it did not show up on the other users computer. The header that was used prior to the save showed up. When both users open the file at the same time, they see different headers. How can one Excel file have two differe...

How do I import a database from excel 2003 to 2007?
The database is not too large, but important. I need to transfer it to Excel 2007 from 2003. Can this be done without losing data, or changing the format? If so, how? Obviously I am not very adept with Excel. Thank you for your help. Theresa, Start by making a backup copy of your 2003 format file, just in case. Open Excel 2007 and then open the 2003 file with it. It will open in "compatibility mode" meaning that it is treated as an Excel 2003 file with 2003's restrictions on rows, columns and other features. Use File | Save As to save the file in one of the native Exce...

Import POP3 database into Exchange
I had a secondary MX record on my domain (hosted externally) to handle messages that come in if/when I have my Exchange server (the primary MX record points here) down. The POP3 Connector was set to download from that (as a Global mailbox) every 15 minutes. Something failed (in the POP3 Connector), no messages were downloaded for some time, and now the mail file on the domain is so large (234 MB) that I could not log on via POP3 (even from a client) and had to simply download the file from the domain hosting service via FTP. Is there a way to emulate the action of the POP3 Connector lo...

Desktop Icon Accessing Network File
As the Excel file is buried several directories/folders deep in a network drive (P: in my network neighborhood), I was trying to create desktop shortcut icon so that I can open the network file directly by clicking the icon. But the icon properity indicates actually the icon file is pointed to a file in my C:\.. etc. Any changes I made to that file (icon) is not reflected in original file located in the the Netowrk drive. As the result, I need to re-save the changed file into the original network drive by laboriously going thru the network directories/folders etc. Is it possible to do what...

Network timekeeping
I have an application that will be acting as a time clock. It will be running simultaneously on multiple computers. What I'm interested in is accessing a central "master timeclock" computer (probably a computer running SQL Server since it will be the repository for the data ultimately). How can I make sure that all time is being accessed from this "master timeclock" computer? I'm not interested in millisecond or even second level of synchronicity. I just want to make sure that when a user logs his time on one computer, then goes elsewhere and logs a different t...

Dynamic Database Has No Space Available
I have Great Plains 8.0 the last service pack with SQL 2000 with the last service pack. The problem I'm having is my space available on the Dynamic Database say 0.00mb when i look in Enterprise Manager. How can I increase the space available? The Hard Drive has 90gb of free space available. Thanks in advance, Hi Kevin, Go to the Database properties in SQL Server then change the file-growth details to automatic and do not set a maximum size. Cheers, Vincent vong@scituscorp.com "Kevin" wrote: > I have Great Plains 8.0 the last service pack with SQL 2000 with the last ...

Could my ADODB connection be causing a network problem?
My employer's network is experiencing an unusual problem. An 8 mB write to the network drive takes about 8 seconds but reading the same file takes around 5 minutes. I'm wondering if the ADODB connection that I'm using (so that our parts room can log part issues to an access db) could be causing the problem? The db and the spreadsheet were created in Office 03 but the db is used nearly continuously in Office 07. The Spreadsheet is used nearly 24/6. I have included my code. Many many thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving Ted BTW There are 4 PC's (2-2007s...