Serious problem with Money Plus Deluxe

I have about 17 years worth of investment data in my Money file along with 
several years of credit card and checking account data.  All of the 
investment transactions have been entered manually; the credit card and 
checking account data is downloaded online. Stock prices have been updated 
daily over at least the last dozen years.  On Friday, after entering a bunch 
of new transactions which were accepted normally and shutting Money down, I 
tried to open my file again.  After I entered my login info, Money gave me 
the memo that it had "encountered a problem and was shutting down."  I ran 
the Salvage utility on the file using both quick repair and normal modes.  
Neither found an error and the file still would not load.  I restored to the 
previous day's version which worked fine.  However, adding two or three 
transactions caused the problem to reoccur.  It doesn't seem to matter what 
transactions I enter or in which investment account; the problem reoccurs.  
Thinking that my file had perhaps gotten too large, I removed the checking 
and credit card accounts into a seperate file.  I also manually deleted a 
bunch of old price quotes that I no longer needed.  None of this helped.  I 
also uninstalled and reinstalled my Money program.  Still no luck!  I have 
never run into a problem like this in all the years and versions of Money I 
have used.  Help!!!!
0
Wally (164)
6/28/2009 4:54:01 AM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

5 Replies
554 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 14

Weird, I never heard of a problem like this.  How old is your version of M+? 
Could it be expired?  I don't know what happens when a Money version
expires.  Never heard of a file size or transaction limit.  My file contains
about 20 years of data with all types of accounts including lots of
investment transactions and I never had any such problem.

Do you have older backups that you could try?  If the file is now corrupt,
your prior day's backup might also be corrupt.  I like to keep backups that
are at least weeks or a few months old.  I'd rather have to bring an older
file up to date than have a corrupt file overwrite all of my backups.  I
also backup my working file since I don't really trust Money's backups
completely.

I guess its possible that your login procedure is the problem.  I have never
used a password or login and do not use automatic downloads.  Dont trust
MSFT or Yodlee or anybody.  If nothing else works you could export all of
your data into QIF files and then import them back into a new Money file,
that is a lot of work but I am pretty sure that will fix any problems.

I assume there were no changes to your computer hardware or software setup
recently that could be causing the problem - virus or something wierd like
that.

Make sure you do not mess with all of your backups.  Use extra copies of
your file to experiment with.  And wait until you hear from the MVPs or
other experienced posters before trying anything radical.  Somebody might
have seen this problem before.

Good luck.

Regards

Bill Wood




"Wally" <Wally@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0A482EAB-3278-4763-996B-2A2E88299CD1@microsoft.com...
>I have about 17 years worth of investment data in my Money file along with
> several years of credit card and checking account data.  All of the
> investment transactions have been entered manually; the credit card and
> checking account data is downloaded online. Stock prices have been updated
> daily over at least the last dozen years.  On Friday, after entering a
> bunch
> of new transactions which were accepted normally and shutting Money down,
> I
> tried to open my file again.  After I entered my login info, Money gave me
> the memo that it had "encountered a problem and was shutting down."  I ran
> the Salvage utility on the file using both quick repair and normal modes.
> Neither found an error and the file still would not load.  I restored to
> the
> previous day's version which worked fine.  However, adding two or three
> transactions caused the problem to reoccur.  It doesn't seem to matter
> what
> transactions I enter or in which investment account; the problem reoccurs.
> Thinking that my file had perhaps gotten too large, I removed the checking
> and credit card accounts into a seperate file.  I also manually deleted a
> bunch of old price quotes that I no longer needed.  None of this helped.
> I
> also uninstalled and reinstalled my Money program.  Still no luck!  I have
> never run into a problem like this in all the years and versions of Money
> I
> have used.  Help!!!!



0
w.wood (230)
6/28/2009 10:59:29 AM
In microsoft.public.money, Wally wrote:

>I have about 17 years worth of investment data in my Money file along with 
>several years of credit card and checking account data.  All of the 
>investment transactions have been entered manually; the credit card and 
>checking account data is downloaded online. Stock prices have been updated 
>daily over at least the last dozen years.  On Friday, after entering a bunch 
>of new transactions which were accepted normally and shutting Money down, I 
>tried to open my file again.  After I entered my login info, Money gave me 
>the memo that it had "encountered a problem and was shutting down."  I ran 
>the Salvage utility on the file using both quick repair and normal modes.  
>Neither found an error and the file still would not load.  I restored to the 
>previous day's version which worked fine.  However, adding two or three 
>transactions caused the problem to reoccur.  It doesn't seem to matter what 
>transactions I enter or in which investment account; the problem reoccurs.  
>Thinking that my file had perhaps gotten too large, I removed the checking 
>and credit card accounts into a seperate file.  I also manually deleted a 
>bunch of old price quotes that I no longer needed.  None of this helped.  I 
>also uninstalled and reinstalled my Money program.  Still no luck!  I have 
>never run into a problem like this in all the years and versions of Money I 
>have used.  Help!!!!

Copy your backups to other media so that you will have an extra
copy.

In Internet Explorer delete your browser temporary files with
Tools->InternetOptions->Delete->DeleteFiles.

I would restore a backup from earlier than that-- maybe a week ago.
Do not restore to the "default location", but rather choose a new
name in your Documents folder. Then go to
Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
(GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList


Once inside the restored file, I would do a
File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2.  and then do a
File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 1.

If that does not do it, I would contact Microsoft Money support.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
6/28/2009 1:59:03 PM

"Wally" wrote:

> I have about 17 years worth of investment data in my Money file along with 
> several years of credit card and checking account data.  All of the 
> investment transactions have been entered manually; the credit card and 
> checking account data is downloaded online. Stock prices have been updated 
> daily over at least the last dozen years.  On Friday, after entering a bunch 
> of new transactions which were accepted normally and shutting Money down, I 
> tried to open my file again.  After I entered my login info, Money gave me 
> the memo that it had "encountered a problem and was shutting down."  I ran 
> the Salvage utility on the file using both quick repair and normal modes.  
> Neither found an error and the file still would not load.  I restored to the 
> previous day's version which worked fine.  However, adding two or three 
> transactions caused the problem to reoccur.  It doesn't seem to matter what 
> transactions I enter or in which investment account; the problem reoccurs.  
> Thinking that my file had perhaps gotten too large, I removed the checking 
> and credit card accounts into a seperate file.  I also manually deleted a 
> bunch of old price quotes that I no longer needed.  None of this helped.  I 
> also uninstalled and reinstalled my Money program.  Still no luck!  I have 
> never run into a problem like this in all the years and versions of Money I 
> have used.  Help!!!!

Oddly enough I have just encountered the same problem.  I'm using Microsoft 
Money 2006 Standard (Canadian edition) on both my work (Vista) and home (XP) 
computer.  I have a number of bank, investment and loan accounts set up.  I 
ran into exactly the same problem yesterday - I tried to restore my backup at 
work and received the "shutting down" message.  I restored my previous backup 
and through the process of elimination determined that I seem to have hit 
some sort of limit of transactions on my investment accounts.  I was able to 
add transactions (mutual fund buys and sells) up to a limit in the one 
account that I originally encountered the error with.  Then adding ANY other 
transaction would cause my backup to be "non-restorable".  I tried adding a 
new transcation to my bank account and that worked fine.  Then I tried adding 
a new transaction to a DIFFERENT investment account and that failed as well. 
The investment accounts are not really that large - I have 5 or 6 set up and 
the largest has maybe 10 pages of transactions (about 8 years worth).  But it 
appears as if I am stuck since I cannot add any new transactions to any 
investment accounts without this error popping up the next time I start Money.
0
Bryan1 (123)
7/22/2009 2:11:01 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Bryan wrote:

>

>
>Oddly enough I have just encountered the same problem.  I'm using Microsoft 
>Money 2006 Standard (Canadian edition) on both my work (Vista) and home (XP) 
>computer.  I have a number of bank, investment and loan accounts set up.  I 
>ran into exactly the same problem yesterday - I tried to restore my backup at 
>work and received the "shutting down" message.  I restored my previous backup 
>and through the process of elimination determined that I seem to have hit 
>some sort of limit of transactions on my investment accounts.  I was able to 
>add transactions (mutual fund buys and sells) up to a limit in the one 
>account that I originally encountered the error with.  Then adding ANY other 
>transaction would cause my backup to be "non-restorable".  I tried adding a 
>new transcation to my bank account and that worked fine.  Then I tried adding 
>a new transaction to a DIFFERENT investment account and that failed as well. 
>The investment accounts are not really that large - I have 5 or 6 set up and 
>the largest has maybe 10 pages of transactions (about 8 years worth).  But it 
>appears as if I am stuck since I cannot add any new transactions to any 
>investment accounts without this error popping up the next time I start Money.

I suggest you open any file you can, such as Sample.mny.
In XP, you can do that by going to your Money install folder
and right-clicking Sample.mny, and choosing Open.
Go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
(GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList.
Close Money.

Then open the problem file once or twice.

Then Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplayOptions and Remove the
Investment Performance module. If you still have a problem, remove
everything. If the problem goes away, you can add things back if
the crash does not happen.
0
via_newsgroup (13114)
7/22/2009 3:36:37 PM

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, Bryan wrote:
> 
> >
> 
> >
> >Oddly enough I have just encountered the same problem.  I'm using Microsoft 
> >Money 2006 Standard (Canadian edition) on both my work (Vista) and home (XP) 
> >computer.  I have a number of bank, investment and loan accounts set up.  I 
> >ran into exactly the same problem yesterday - I tried to restore my backup at 
> >work and received the "shutting down" message.  I restored my previous backup 
> >and through the process of elimination determined that I seem to have hit 
> >some sort of limit of transactions on my investment accounts.  I was able to 
> >add transactions (mutual fund buys and sells) up to a limit in the one 
> >account that I originally encountered the error with.  Then adding ANY other 
> >transaction would cause my backup to be "non-restorable".  I tried adding a 
> >new transcation to my bank account and that worked fine.  Then I tried adding 
> >a new transaction to a DIFFERENT investment account and that failed as well. 
> >The investment accounts are not really that large - I have 5 or 6 set up and 
> >the largest has maybe 10 pages of transactions (about 8 years worth).  But it 
> >appears as if I am stuck since I cannot add any new transactions to any 
> >investment accounts without this error popping up the next time I start Money.
> 
> I suggest you open any file you can, such as Sample.mny.
> In XP, you can do that by going to your Money install folder
> and right-clicking Sample.mny, and choosing Open.
> Go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
> (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList.
> Close Money.
> 
> Then open the problem file once or twice.
> 
> Then Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplayOptions and Remove the
> Investment Performance module. If you still have a problem, remove
> everything. If the problem goes away, you can add things back if
> the crash does not happen.
> 

Thanks for the quick reply!  Your solution got me back up and running again. 
 It was in fact the "Investment Performance" module on the home page that was 
causing the problem when I added any new investments.  Just the action of 
adding the module (with an additional investment transaction already in the 
ledger) would cause Money to evaporate from my screen without even an error 
message!  Anyway, I can certainly live without that module for the time being.

Thanks again.
0
Bryan1 (123)
7/22/2009 5:27:01 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Money 2005 & currencies
I'm considering Money 2005. Can anyone give some info on how assets and accounts in different currencies are handled. Are exchange rates downloaded and used for reporting? Thanks, Patrick I saw an update option somewhere under Tools/preferences or options. I think currencies are updated when you start M05 and synchronize (if it works one day :-) ) >-----Original Message----- >I'm considering Money 2005. > >Can anyone give some info on how assets and accounts in >different currencies are handled. Are exchange rates >downloaded and used for reporting? > &g...

GDI Problem with Excel and two colour fill effect charting
Over the last few months I have had the same problem in excel with all charts where I've used a two colour fill effect for either a data series or background. When I use this feature the entire chart is only viewable in black and white and excel takes a long time to actually draw the chart. However if I print the chart or even copy and paste into powerpoint all the colours are as they should be. The mpeg moviw below shows how excel draws an example chart when the chart sheet is activated http://www.paperlessbooks.co.uk/barchart_example.avi and to see how excel prints to pdf see the pdf...

problem with Like "*" & ([Forms]![Main]![txt_exis_pt_name]) & "*"
Please help everything works well till i put in the Like "*" & ([Forms]![Main]![txt_exis_pt_name]) & "*" Using Like "*" & ([Forms]![Main]![txt_exis_pt_name]) & "*" broke the code for all the other single relationship record criteria that bring back 1 record how can I fix it? When I say it broke it what I meant it brings back the same record when I test for 1. case_nbr 2. med_rec and the other single row record but the name works correctly. When I take out Using Like "*" & ([Forms]![Main]![txt_exis_pt_n...

Problems and more problems with exchange 2003 sbs
Today I reboot the our server, this is the first occasion after install a patch (that the windows has downloaded automatically) before few days. In 1 hour i received a message that the C: drive is full (yesterday I has 7GB free space) . surprised and checking the problem, I receive in my workstation a message that the outlook is not conected to the server. I seen that the mdadata folder has same hundreds of logs of 5MB size!!! After I move a lot of them to another location the exchange fill the free space with new logs...I change the configuration to make a circular logs and i moved a few hu...

Contacts Problem
Hi All I've imported my contacts from Outlook Express and they appear fine when you use the Icon on the bar on the left, but when I click 'new' and try to add a contact from the icon next to the 'to' line the 'contact' folder is empty as is the Outlook Address Book. Many thanks in advance xool --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.554 / Virus Database: 346 - Release Date: 20/12/2003 Look at your Folder View. It looks to me like you've created more than one Contacts Folder. -- ...

Exchange 2003 edb problems
Hi. I am having problems with one of our Exchanges. It recently stopped working and the event log pointed at the problem being the database hitting the 16Gb limit. Looking at the Priv1.edb and stm files the are adding up to 16Gb but online defraging only seems to show 150mb of white space. If I add up all the mailboxes including deleted items however, it only comes to 5Gb. I tried an offline defrag but it only reduced the stm file by the expected 150mb. Having deleted as many un-necessary emails as possible, I have reset the deleted item retention to 0, and changed the maintenan...

XMLA .NET connection problems
Hi, After install msxml 4.0 and XMLASDK 1.1, i proceed to configure the datasource.xml file, as follow: <DataSource> <DataSourceName>FoodMart 2000</DataSourceName> <DataSourceDescription>Microsoft Analysis Server 2000 on local machine</DataSourceDescription> <URL>http://localhost/xmla/msxisapi.dll</URL> <DataSourceInfo>Provider=MSOLAP.2;Data Source=md001144</DataSourceInfo> <ProviderName>Microsoft XML for Analysis</ProviderName> <ProviderType> <TDP/> <MDP/> <DMP/> </ProviderType>...

Outlook 2007 & CRM Outlook client (V3C), problem tracking appointm
Hello, I'm currently using Outlook 2007 with the latest CRM Outlook client (V3C). I have no problem adding emails to CRM with Outlook, but when I try to create a new appointment, the CRM section does not appear in the ribbon. After creating the appointment, if I highlight it in the calendar view and click on the "Track in CRM" button on the Outlook toolbar, I get the following message "This item type is not valid for promotion to Microsoft CRM". If I go back in my calendar to an earlier appointment that was created when I was using Outlook 2003, then everythi...

Warning: Money 2007 Deluxe
I thought I would try 007 out and so downloaded it. It looks very much the same as 2006 but it may have been faster. The new simple budget thing is pretty stupid, as is the hype MSN story about it. Hasn't anyone ever heard of 'pay yourself first' budgeting?? I digress. I left the program and tried to start it up again. It wants a password??? I don't use a password. The file it was trying to open was at the end of a very long pathname so I don't know what it was trying to open, but have to assume it was the one that was just converted from 006. But I don't use a p...

Look up Address problems!
Hi I wonder if anyone can help with this problem. I have imported a number of Accounts into our CRM system. All is working fine except that I cannot link an invoice or delivery address to an order or quote using the lookup address! I imported the accounts originally using the administrator account. If I logon to the CRM as myself and then create an order/quote (that has the orignal account owner as the administrator) and use the look up address, this works fine! I get the primary account address returned. If I then create an account as myself and then try to create an order/quote and use ...

MAcro Problem (probably easy)
I'm trying to record and run a macro that copies the format, colors an a graphic from another excel report. I start the macro recorder, the open the workbook, copy, switch workbooks, paste all, then switc workbooks, close the graphic source workbook, and stop the recorder. When I run the macro, it gives me an error like it can't open the othe workbook. Any tips -- bludovic ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bludovico's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1480 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/sho...

money 2007 in vista
is money 2007 compatible in vista i had laptop die so bought new one with vista i installed money in computer it work for about one week now it says problem with program i reinstalled same thing it wont start In microsoft.public.money, eric wrote: >is money 2007 compatible in vista i had laptop die so bought new one with >vista i installed money in computer it work for about one week now it says >problem with program i reinstalled same thing it wont start Be sure that your Money and backup files are moved to a spot that you will have full privileges to, such as within the use...

Can not get MS Money Premium to connect to internet after KB searc
I can not log into the Windows Live ID because Money will not connect to the internet. I am running Win XP SP2 on Tablet(Pro version) with IE 7 and have upgraded and reset ie7. I have gone through KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891338/ and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899935/ from Cal Learner's previous posts. However, these have not worked and I cannot get to use Windows Live ID since it will not connect. I also reinstalled Money again, but not available. Anyone have any ideas? I know this has been a running problem, but I want to use the Live ID process so my bank info wi...

Money 2002 #33
Im trying to do what should be a VERY simple task. I run a small home-based business and recently moved. I need to change my address which will be printed on my invoices. Can't seem to find the right place. Can anybody help?? Thanks a lot. ...

Microsoft Money 2004 Chase Credit Card
I have 2004 Microsoft Money. However, since JPMorgan Chase split off into Chase, I am unable to choose Chase as a bank. The people at Chase said that Microsoft would be able to do this for me... but I do not know how to do that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. In microsoft.public.money, rjb wrote: >I have 2004 Microsoft Money. However, since JPMorgan Chase split off into >Chase, I am unable to choose Chase as a bank. The people at Chase said that >Microsoft would be able to do this for me... but I do not know how to do >that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. A...

Area Pages Display Problems
When I launch GP and select any series, for example, Financial. The area page on the right provides varios categories. In the Financial Area page, one of the Category is Cards and then underneath cards it has Financial (To the the left of Financial there is a + or - icon) and then Financial has several access items such as account, checkbook, etc. The problem I am running into is when I click on the + icon it expands the category properly and changes the icon to - correctly. Then when I click on the minus icon it shrinks the category, but instead the of changing the icon to + it chan...

Problem Opening Outlook XP
I was having a few small problems with outlook xp so I uninstalled the whole office suite. After uninstalling I cleaned everything refering to "office", "outlook" in the registry (windows xp professional w/sp2) with jv16 PowerTools 2006. Then I reinstalled Office XP. Everything works except, when opening outlook I get the message "Failed to register a VB Script DLL. Reinstall or run Regsvr32.exe Vbscript.dll to self register.". Then outlook closes. I have registered vbscript.dll successfully and still the error. I have un/reinstalled several times now and still t...

Big Problem! How to overload operator delete?
Big Problem! How to overload operator delete? According to C++ standard, "A deallocation function can have more than one parameter."(see 3.7.3.2); however, I don't know how to use an overloaded delete operator. Let me use an example to illustrate this: /********************************************************/ #include <new> #include <iostream> using namespace std; void operator delete(void* p, const nothrow_t&) { cout << "Hello" << endl; } // (1) void operator delete(void* p, int a, int b) { cout << "World" <&...

Sorting Problems
I am trying to sort numerically a column with a mix of numbers and text: 1 2 3 (36 hrs) 4 5 (19 hrs) 12 13 (6 hrs) but this is what I end up with: 1 2 4 12 13 (6 hrs) 3 (36 hrs) 5 (19 hrs) Any help? If you split the data into two columns--one column for the number portion and one column for the parenthetical portion, you can sort by that first column. In fact, you don't even need that second column! One way to do that is to insert a column to the right of the original column. Then select that column Data|Text to columns delimited by spa...

Problem in displaying the chart
Hi all, Good evening. I am facing one problem at creating chart. This is my coding. Charts.Add ActiveChart.ChartType = xlBarClustered ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Data").Range("A5:E6"), PlotBy:= _ xlRows * ActiveChart.Location Where:=xlLocationAsObject, Name:="Cost"* With ActiveChart .HasTitle = True .ChartTitle.Characters.Text = _ "5 Time Predictability of Design and Construction" .Axes(xlCategory, xlPrimary).HasTitle = False .Axes(xlValue, xlPrimary).Has...

Publishing Problems
When i try publishing form changes, it's now giving an error the server has never spit out before: Publish completed with errors. Please see event log for details. xxxxx: ***Error*** Failed to download XSL template files from Web Server ----------- The Event Log said the following: ----------- Web Excpetion status = ProtocolError HttpGet Error Unauthorized : The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized. , StackTrace : at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.CheckFinalStatus() at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult) at System.Net.HttpWebRequest....

Recipient Policy Problem/Question
I seem to be having a problem with my recipient policy automatically creating e-mail addresses. I have two recipient policies set up: Default Policy (Priority Lowest) SMTP - domain.com (default) SMTP - domain.local X.400 Other Domains (Priority 1) SMTP - all of my other domains In the default policy the filter says "(mailnickname=*) ", and the filter is blank for the other domain policy. I want the domain.com, domain.local, and the X.400 addresses to be automatically created, but they are not. All domains, in both policies, have the check box selected nex to them. Why is this ...

Out of office reply
I am trying to make an out of office reply. I know how to create the rule, however I do not have any templates. When I tried to make a template I do not have the option to save as.... a template. I have tried to manually save it in the correct folder, however it does not allow me to get to that folder via save as... I have Outlook 2007 Thank you for any help or suggestions! ...

Problems opening Outlook 2003 #2
I click on the office outlook 2003, it says "configuring outlook accounts", then I get the message, "your microsoft exchange server is unavailable" ( retry, work offline, cancel). I try the work offline tab then a box comes up saying, " unable to open your default email folders, your profile is not configured. I try to configure my profile and something i am doing is not right. Please help. What do I do? Thank you for your help with this problem. Keith Are you trying to connect to an Exchange server? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to ...

VLookup problem...help pls...urgent
Hi, I have wriiten the following code. Private Sub btnPastCommentsActivityList1_Click() Dim dt As Date dt = txtOldDateOfEntryMonth1.Value + "-" + txtOldDateOfEntryDay1.Valu + "-" + txtOldDateOfEntryYear1.Value 'dt = Format(dt, "dd/mm/yyyy") MsgBox dt ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Activity_Database").Activate Range("B6").Select txtOldComments.Value Application.VLookup(cmbInitiativeDescription.Value, Range("C6:Z9999") 18, False) And Application.VLookup(dt, Range("B6:Z9999"), 18, False) End Sub I have got three columns. On...