Separate transactions being merged when importing QIF file

I downloaded a QIF file from my bank dating back to 01/01/2004. When I
imported this file into Money 2005 the balance was way off compared to the
bank's website. In comparing each tranaction I noticed some were missing in
Money. Each group of missing transactions were all on the same day and for
the same amount. Also, for each group one transaction would be in Money and
the others missing (ex. There are 5 transactions according to the bank but
only 1 shows in Money). I opened the QIF file in Notepad and can see the
multiple transactions that were missing in Money. Based on this information I
am assuming that Money merged these similar transactions. How do I fix this?
0
Crites (2)
2/23/2005 3:47:06 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Chris Crites <Chris
Crites@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I downloaded a QIF file from my bank dating back to 01/01/2004. When I
>imported this file into Money 2005 the balance was way off compared to the
>bank's website. In comparing each tranaction I noticed some were missing in
>Money. Each group of missing transactions were all on the same day and for
>the same amount.

I assume that each also had the same payee (line that begins with P
in the QIF file).

> Also, for each group one transaction would be in Money and
>the others missing (ex. There are 5 transactions according to the bank but
>only 1 shows in Money). I opened the QIF file in Notepad and can see the
>multiple transactions that were missing in Money. Based on this information I
>am assuming that Money merged these similar transactions. How do I fix this?

At this point, enter the missing transactions by hand. QIF
statements use an aggressive duplicate-elimination algorithm when
imported as a statement. The source of this is the theory that
people will enter at least some of the transactions by hand, or that
successive QIF files will include the same transaction. So
additional transactions that look identical are ignored.

Money could have made an exception if the apparent duplicates were
in the same QIF file, but it doesn't.

If you import as a recovered account, Money will turn off the
duplicate-elimination checking. However at this point, re-importing
that way would produce duplicates.  So enter the duplicates
manually.

OFX files are more sophisticated, and do not have this problem. In
OFX each transaction from a given institution have a transaction ID
that is unique. So Money knows whether it has seen that transaction
already or not, and does not have to resort to a duplicate-removal
algorithm.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
2/23/2005 4:43:04 PM
Thank you for your response Cal. This issue was such a big deal because I was
starting from scratch in Money but wanted the history from my bank so I could
start creating a budget and determine my spending habits.

Unfortunately my bank does not support OFX files.

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, Chris Crites <Chris
> Crites@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I downloaded a QIF file from my bank dating back to 01/01/2004. When I
> >imported this file into Money 2005 the balance was way off compared to the
> >bank's website. In comparing each tranaction I noticed some were missing in
> >Money. Each group of missing transactions were all on the same day and for
> >the same amount.
>
> I assume that each also had the same payee (line that begins with P
> in the QIF file).
>
> > Also, for each group one transaction would be in Money and
> >the others missing (ex. There are 5 transactions according to the bank but
> >only 1 shows in Money). I opened the QIF file in Notepad and can see the
> >multiple transactions that were missing in Money. Based on this information I
> >am assuming that Money merged these similar transactions. How do I fix this?
>
> At this point, enter the missing transactions by hand. QIF
> statements use an aggressive duplicate-elimination algorithm when
> imported as a statement. The source of this is the theory that
> people will enter at least some of the transactions by hand, or that
> successive QIF files will include the same transaction. So
> additional transactions that look identical are ignored.
>
> Money could have made an exception if the apparent duplicates were
> in the same QIF file, but it doesn't.
>
> If you import as a recovered account, Money will turn off the
> duplicate-elimination checking. However at this point, re-importing
> that way would produce duplicates.  So enter the duplicates
> manually.
>
> OFX files are more sophisticated, and do not have this problem. In
> OFX each transaction from a given institution have a transaction ID
> that is unique. So Money knows whether it has seen that transaction
> already or not, and does not have to resort to a duplicate-removal
> algorithm.

0
Crites (2)
2/23/2005 8:15:13 PM
In microsoft.public.money, Chris Crites <Chris
Crites@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thank you for your response Cal. This issue was such a big deal because I was
>starting from scratch in Money but wanted the history from my bank so I could
>start creating a budget and determine my spending habits.
>
>Unfortunately my bank does not support OFX files.

Well next time you do two ATM withdrawals on the same day, make them
for different amounts. If you have two cups of coffee on the credit
card, make them at different shops, or have a differently-priced
item. ;-)

>"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:
>
>> In microsoft.public.money, Chris Crites <Chris
>> Crites@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I downloaded a QIF file from my bank dating back to 01/01/2004. When I
>> >imported this file into Money 2005 the balance was way off compared to the
>> >bank's website. In comparing each tranaction I noticed some were missing in
>> >Money. Each group of missing transactions were all on the same day and for
>> >the same amount.
>>
>> I assume that each also had the same payee (line that begins with P
>> in the QIF file).
>>
>> > Also, for each group one transaction would be in Money and
>> >the others missing (ex. There are 5 transactions according to the bank but
>> >only 1 shows in Money). I opened the QIF file in Notepad and can see the
>> >multiple transactions that were missing in Money. Based on this information I
>> >am assuming that Money merged these similar transactions. How do I fix this?
>>
>> At this point, enter the missing transactions by hand. QIF
>> statements use an aggressive duplicate-elimination algorithm when
>> imported as a statement. The source of this is the theory that
>> people will enter at least some of the transactions by hand, or that
>> successive QIF files will include the same transaction. So
>> additional transactions that look identical are ignored.
>>
>> Money could have made an exception if the apparent duplicates were
>> in the same QIF file, but it doesn't.
>>
>> If you import as a recovered account, Money will turn off the
>> duplicate-elimination checking. However at this point, re-importing
>> that way would produce duplicates.  So enter the duplicates
>> manually.
>>
>> OFX files are more sophisticated, and do not have this problem. In
>> OFX each transaction from a given institution have a transaction ID
>> that is unique. So Money knows whether it has seen that transaction
>> already or not, and does not have to resort to a duplicate-removal
>> algorithm.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)

Appending Excel data into an Access table while inserting the file name
I have a loop in an Access 2003 database that appends records from multiple Excel files within a given directory. The name of each Excel file cycles through one variable (ImpFileName) as its records are imported, but I also need to add the Excel file name to each record. I wanted to assign the value of ImpFileName to the DefaultValue property of the FileName field in the table as part of the DoWhile loop, but something is wrong with my syntax. My code is below, but only works if I comment out the line that assigns the DefaultValue property. Any help would be much appreciated! Dim tdf...

PST file >2GB
I have a use with a PST file >2GB. I ran the inbox repair tool, but failed. THe MS knowledgebase also recommends bulletin Q296088S which uses file 2gb152.exe. However, I can not download this executable. I get an error that the site or link is bad and it times out. Anyone has any idea how where else I can get a copy? Check this site: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.htm -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the...

using hyperlink to open image file from a button
I use the hyperlink function to open an image file on the hard disk whose address is contained in a cell. But can I get this to attach to a button using a macro or can I open a file whose address is contained in a cell in some other way. I used a button from the Forms toolbar and placed it on my worksheet. I assigned it this macro: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim BTN As Button Dim testStr As String Dim myCell As Range With ActiveSheet Set BTN = .Buttons(Application.Caller) Set myCell = ActiveCell Set myCell = .Cells(BTN.TopLeftCell.Row, "A&...

show date file updated?
Can I have a field that automatically shows the date when the file was last updated? You can use code like Sub LastSaveTime() With ThisWorkbook If .FullName <> vbNullString Then .Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value = _ FileDateTime(.FullName) End If End With End Sub This will put the last saved date and time into cell A1 on Sheet1. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel, 10 Years Pearson Software Consulting www.cpearson.com (email on the web site) "Chris Hughes" <Chris Hughes@discu...

Merge/connect cells without loss of data?
Hi everyone, stupid question I did not find an answer for even after a long search: I have an Excel table with cells which contain fax numbers. One cell i a row contains the dialling code, the next cell in this row contains th fax number. For a series-letter I created with Word, these two cells have to b merged into ONE, so Word can read the fax number including the diallin code in "one piece". So, for example, I merge A1 ("040") with B1 ("636465"), the resul should be A1 ("040636465"). But the standard procedure to merge/connec cells in Excel only ...

Do I need to run this process in separate thread?
I have a C# project with one form. A single button starts a process, and it runs for about five minutes, iterating through a number of tests. During that time, the form blanks out (turns gray) and, if I click on the form, the title box reads (Not responding). When the process is finished, it returns. On the form, I have placed a label, and the underlying code puts the value of the current iteration so I can watch its progress from 1-N iterations. However, as the form blanks out, I can't see the values increment. I suspect that I should run the process on a separate threa...

Cannot Direct Email via Mail Merge from the Outlook Client
Has anyone had a problem where the Organization Setting of Direct Email = 'Yes' and the Bulk Email service is running, but the Outlook Client still throws the popup warning that Direct Mail is turned off? Does something else need to be set? ...

.csv import privacy setting
i am trying to import a csv file into my calendar. the csv file has "FALSE" listed for the privacy setting. i thought changing it to TRUE would tag all of the events as private, but that did not seem to work. what needs to be done to import all as private? thanks! I'm not sure.... but you can import, use a table view (like all appointments) add the modified field and private field - right click on the private field and choose Group by. Drag appointments between the private: no and private: yes group. The Modified field helps you identify the items you import...

ofc files
Hi, I have been using Money from ver 2003 and I have been downloading transactions in ofc files and it worked (i.e. imported to my account in Money) fine in 03 and 04. Now I have just upgraded my 2004 to 2005 and M05 wouldn't recognize (i.e. associate them in explorer) my ofc files. I've pointed the ofc files to be opened with mnyimprt.exe and it still doens't work. Any solution? Thanks. My understanding is thatMoney 05 doesn't support OFC downloads. -- Michael Gordon MVP "Ken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:050901c4a5b7$e6531...

Changing a text name within a cell based on file name
Hello, I wonder if it is possible to change a cell contents based on the file name. For example I am using Excel file 2003 in my workbook sheet 1 in cell A2 it is populated with a text field - company name "Zenith Manufacturer" and in cell A3 has the company location text field "Tampa Florida" I have about 50 reports. The file name on one report can be Sch88 (Zen) or Ex 1 (Zen), etc. All of the 50 reports have unique names, but has the same identifier within the parentheses (Zen). Here is my problem I have to duplicate the same 50 reports with a different compan...

Importing access db into sql
Hello, I am new to this. I am not sure to post here or sql so I am starting here first. I am hoping someone can tell me on how to best handle a current access db (2007) and import to lastest sql 2005. There is no current sql database except to run Moss2K7. Are there any known issues or is it not a good idea to import. Please help. The database is growing and I am afraid that it will slow down performance of access. Infopath forms are pulling data from access as well. "Kerri" <kerri@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OB9fp$AcIHA.1376@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... &g...

Mail Merge Question
Using Office 2003 I have a Word doc merging with some data in XLS. In the xls field, I have chosen the currency format and it looks fine. (ex. $125.75) When I merge it in Word, it comes over as 125.75 and I have no idea how to tell it to use the format I have set up in xls. Please help.! Thanks in advance. Phil Debra Dalgleish posted this to a similar question: There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you: Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/assistance/HA011164951033.aspx And if you prefer the old Mail Me...

Unable to open/expand the file menu
When in Word I am unable to open/expand the file menu. It just highlights the word "File" but nothing happens when I click on it. All other menu's work just fine. I have ran a detect/repair but that did not work. Any help would be appreciated. Go to Tools > Customize > Toolbars. Select "Menu Bar" in the list and click the Reset button. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. butter wrote: > When in Word...

using Money 98 files under Windows 7 Home Premium?
Hello, I have a friend who I have just moved onto Windows 7 Home Premium. He has some Money 98 , .mny, files. I understand that Microsoft has stopped support for Money? How can he access these files? He still has Money 98 on his old PC - can he open the files with this and save them in another form which he could access under Windows 7? Cheers Geoff In microsoft.public.money, Geoff wrote: > > >I have a friend who I have just moved onto Windows 7 Home Premium. > >He has some Money 98 , .mny, files. I understand that Microsoft has >stopped support ...

Import more than one .csv file into the same Excel file.
I have several .csv files which were created by saving data from Word forms. I want to be able to import all the files into the same Excel file. I have used the Get External data, Import text file commands to import the first, but this is not available to import the second. If I choose the Edit import option it replaces the row of data I already have from my first import. I am using Excel 2003. Why dont you merge the .csv files together using MS- DOS copy command. --Copy all .csv files to a single folder (say c:\temp\) --From command line type the command copy c:\temp\*.csv c...

Balances on Customer Import
We are in the final stages of changing over to RMS HQ and I have successfully imported our customers into the customer table and the balances match our previous accounts. However, when I try and generate a statement to see that the balances are being read, I am getting the error A10: has a balance discrepancy. Accounts Receivable indicates a balance of €0.00. The last closing balance indicates a balance of €1,457.45 as of 15/09/2007 I have looked at the accountreceivable table and see that there is a balance field in it. Can someone please advise me as to how I complete the impor...

Timesheet import timeout for ONLY ONE USER
Anyone have any ideas here? I've got only one user who is timing out when attempting to import a timesheet into My Tasks. A vast majority (everyone else including me) says "works fine for me". This user has cleared temporary cache, restarted IE, and rebooted his PC, but same result. Thanks, Andy Novak UNT Andy, Have you perhaps checked if the user can do this on another PC, have the user log in with his own account on another PC, if it then works it is a corrupted IE on the users PC -- Andre Venter Technical Consultant UMT South Africa MCP MCSE 2000...

Restoring a calendar file
I accidentally syncronized my new handheld to my desktop with a setting that said have all data on the handhelp overlay the data on the desktop. I lost all my calendar settings and contacts. I did copy the directories to other locations and was able to copy and paste the contact list back into the primary on on my desktop, but I can't find a way to do the same thing for calendar. I have tried deleting the primary calendar and renaming the other directory - Outlook won't let me do that. Also can't copy/paste like I did with Contacts. Anyone out there have a solution? ...

Open multiple file cause excel to freeze
Hi all I'm using several files each using external links to applications like Reuters 3000 Xtra and Bloomberg. When I open each files separatly, I'm asked to refresh the links and the file opens without problem. If I open two or three of this file, Excel freezes on the opening of the last one. I have to kill the process in order to close Excel. These files are used by many of my users, some have Reuter and Bloomberg, some have only reuter or Bloomberg, and some have none. Here is what I noticed : There are freezes only if the user does NOT have Bloomberg installed, but, there...

Great Plains should use Transaction Processing in SQL Server
This concerns Great Plains version 7.5 on MS SQL Server 2000 SP3. Day before yesterday a brief electric power outage occurred exactly while a user was posting a batch of invoices in PM. The database server and other network components were on UPS and did not fail in any way, but the workstation PC doing the posting was not on a UPS and it rebooted. This left the invoice batch in a sort of "half posted" state. In fact there was resulting damage in both the PM and GL areas of the database, because we have the system set up to post through in detail to GL. We first attempted...

Location of files
Hi There Apart from managing the files via Tools --> File Centre in POS 2009 is there any way we could locate them via explorer? Also one feature in RMS was that we could share all files from one location on share drive for multiple registers or managers... Is this still possible in POS 2009. Any comments will be appreciated. -- Cheers Topi POS 2009 stores all those files in the database so to answer your question no you can not view the files via WinExplorer. Having said that because the files are store in the database the files will automatically be shared with all registers ...

How do I print all file names from a folder in Publisher?
In Publisher, I have a listing of about 100 files and I would like to print the listing of those files. Is there a way of doing that? put the list in a textbox, then push the print button? why do you want to do this specifically in pubisher anyway are you going to make a fancy printout? "Leb Steve" <Leb Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3121C24F-8581-4861-B67C-C7615EA9D3CC@microsoft.com... | In Publisher, I have a listing of about 100 files and I would like to print | the listing of those files. Is there a way of doing that? Leb Steve wrote: &g...

Appending Date to File Name Syntax Question
Using WinXP and Access2K2 In the following 'on click' event in visual basic a text file is produced and sent to a file folder. The file name is always the same. I'd like to be able to append the current date to the file name ending up with as an example; "ADIF_11032007.adi", or whatever date it happens to be at the time of the report. My code so far: Dim stDocName As String Dim MyDate As String MyDate = Date 'Selects which report to use based on queries for each report If optQSL = 1 Then stDocName = "rptADIF_eQSL" Els...

117769 files with .onetoc2 extension to delete !
I have accidentally create an astronomical number of files while using Microsoft Office OneNote for the first time ... and it was the last time All those files have the same name "OneNote Table Of Contents.onetoc2" and they are located in the directory D:\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music... and all the sub folders. How should I delete all those files? Is there a command to do it via ms dos ? Thanks in advance -- mistert > I have accidentally create an astronomical number of files while using > Microsoft Office OneNote for the first time Myomy ...

.bat file from outook 2007 in windows 7
Hi, I tried many ways of executing a .bat file attachment from outlook 2007 in windows 7. I tried the registry ( Level1Remove) option , tried with the outlook tool and did a research on this isssue. But still i am not able to run a .bat file attachment from outlook 2007 in Windows7. This works in Xp with Outlook 2007.Is this a permanent change in Windows 7? Is there any way to allow bat file to run from outlook 2007 in windows 7? ...