Saga of trying to move to Quicken

The following is a series of lessons learned in attempting to use QIF to
move 13 1/2 years of data from Money Plus to Quicken. I purchased 2009 and
contacted Quicken support who provided Quicken 2004 and directions to use
QIF files to perform the conversion.

1) Make certain that you change all of your account names to be less than 15
characters.
2) Same for categories and classifications
3) If you use sub classifications they will go over combined with the
classification.  Quicken does not have sub-classifications.
4) export all of your accounts to separate files. In my case this is 80
accounts.
5) within quicken create all of the accounts using the same names as the
names in Money. Do not worry about starting balance as it will be a null
entry that does nothing.
6) when importing your files be careful that when accepting them that they
do not match other transactions. The matched transactions appear at the top
of the list.
7) I was unable to transfer loan accounts. Other problems, and no loans in
past 8 years resulted in me not working on trying to solve this issue.
8) Investment cash account was not transferred. Thus where I was entering my
employers match directly into the 403B accounts cash entry, it was dropped
and I had to enter it.  2 solutions were to
a) create a qif file with the entries (I did this by entering a few in the
quicken side and then exporting them and then using notepad to create the
file for entry with every entry), or
b) create a single annual entry of the total for the year.
9) the transfer from my checking account to the cash portion of my
investment account turned out in error. For example if the transfer was to
the XXX 403B then the entry in the checking account was to the category "XXX
403B (CA.." This had to manually be changed to [XXX 403B] to point to the
investment account instead of the category.
10) many transfers for unknown reasons ended up pointing to the wrong
accounts and had to be corrected.
11) the worst item was if the QIF file had a duplicate entry (2 identical
expenses on the same date) the second one was dropped. I found this when I
wrote checks to mine and my wife's Roth IRA. Knowing that I would often hit
the local oil change place twice in same day I checked it and found only 1
had moved across.

After 2 full days attempting this move to Quicken, I will definitely wait
for the converter and hope that it works.  If it does not then I guess I may
just leave old transactions in Money and start afresh with Quicken on a year
boundary.

Art McClinton

money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

"Art McClinton" wrote:

> The following is a series of lessons learned in attempting to use QIF to
> move 13 1/2 years of data from Money Plus to Quicken.

My experience was very similar. although I did not try Quicken 2004.  I was
having pretty good luck with a work-around for each problem I encountered
except for the payroll transfer into my 401k accounts and the ability to
import the cash portion of my 401k accounts.

I did not try Quicken 2004, which may have solved the import problem of my
401k but the operation was getting too tedious to continue.  I returned my
Quicken 2009 and will wait for the next release and hopefully a new converter.

I bought Quicken 2009 online at Intuit (a day before it went on sale).  I
had no problem with the return process.  The Intuit customer service rep
offered to assist with converting but I declined and asked for the return.
My credit card account was credited within week.
Curiosity forces me to ask both of you......  Why would you even want to
switch to Quicken, why not just continue using Money?  You already know
Money, Quicken is an unknown and will require a lot of time to learn and
adjust to.

The only thing you loose sticking with Money is automatic downloads after
1/31/2011.  You can still download everything manually which only takes a
few mouse clicks.  Of course if MSFT does not remove the activation
requirement (I believe they will be forced to) for Money Plus users, those
folks would have to import their data back into an earlier version of Money
at some point in the future (but at least Money's export/import routine
works perfectly).

Meantime, you are doing more work diddling with failed attempts to import
your data into Quicken than you would ever do manually importing downloads
into Money in 20 years.  :)

Plus Quicken is probably not as good a program overall as Money and Intuit
is probably worse than MSFT as a vendor, as least in my opinion based on my
experience over the past 20+ years with both companies.

Regards,

Bill Wood

0
w.wood (230)
7/4/2009 2:27:30 PM
Bill

My concern with staying with Money in the long run is the fact that Money
Plus may not work with new versions of operating systems. The issue of how
to install after Jan 2011 has also been discussed. I am not certain that the
authentication codes will work past that date. Even if they did, one would
need to figure out a way to install patches that are not available after
that date. Without those patches you will not be able to read your data
file. I use the manual download from most of my present accounts, but as has
been discussed elsewhere Fidelity (commercial not Net Benefits) only has
direct download and does not support manual downloads.

Although I had difficulties in converting, my experience did show several
features within Quicken that were easier to use that Money. Some were more
difficult and some just different. I am not going down the path of which
product or vendor is better.  They both appear comparable to me and I feel
that I could use either one to manage my money.

Art
"William R Wood" <w.wood@cox.net> wrote in message

> Curiosity forces me to ask both of you......  Why would you even want to
> switch to Quicken, why not just continue using Money?  You already know
> Money, Quicken is an unknown and will require a lot of time to learn and
> adjust to.
>
> The only thing you loose sticking with Money is automatic downloads after
> 1/31/2011.  You can still download everything manually which only takes a
> few mouse clicks.  Of course if MSFT does not remove the activation
> requirement (I believe they will be forced to) for Money Plus users, those
> folks would have to import their data back into an earlier version of
> Money at some point in the future (but at least Money's export/import
> routine works perfectly).
>
> Meantime, you are doing more work diddling with failed attempts to import
> your data into Quicken than you would ever do manually importing downloads
> into Money in 20 years.  :)
>
> Plus Quicken is probably not as good a program overall as Money and Intuit
> is probably worse than MSFT as a vendor, as least in my opinion based on
> my experience over the past 20+ years with both companies.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Wood

Actually my concern is having data in Money plus and then not being
able to get it out because my computer dies and I will not able to
reactivate on a new or fixed computer.

I'm still on Money 2007, although I bought Money Plus at the end of
2008 when I could still get a rebate on it.  I did one activation on a
laptop that had its motherboard replacedt, so I think I just have one
activation left.

So the worst would be that I upgrade to Money Plus while waiting for
the converter, then I need a new laptop or such.  I have about 30K
transactions, don't know when/if the converter will work, and if I
can't reactivate I might not even be able to run QIF export.

I'm hoping to hear something about removing limitations on activation,
but otherwise just annoyed with Microsoft.  They make new versions of
Money that no one wants to buy, and then complain that they can't make
money with the product.  Moneydance seems to be doing OK, with a small
fraction of the number of customers.

SS

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 07:27:30 -0700, "William R Wood" <w.wood@cox.net>
wrote:

>Curiosity forces me to ask both of you......  Why would you even want to
>switch to Quicken, why not just continue using Money?  You already know
>Money, Quicken is an unknown and will require a lot of time to learn and
>adjust to.
>
>The only thing you loose sticking with Money is automatic downloads after
>1/31/2011.  You can still download everything manually which only takes a
>few mouse clicks.  Of course if MSFT does not remove the activation
>requirement (I believe they will be forced to) for Money Plus users, those
>folks would have to import their data back into an earlier version of Money
>at some point in the future (but at least Money's export/import routine
>works perfectly).
>
>Meantime, you are doing more work diddling with failed attempts to import
>your data into Quicken than you would ever do manually importing downloads
>into Money in 20 years.  :)
>
>Plus Quicken is probably not as good a program overall as Money and Intuit
>is probably worse than MSFT as a vendor, as least in my opinion based on my
>experience over the past 20+ years with both companies.
>
>Regards,
>
>Bill Wood

Thanks for the data points. If they don't open their feature envelope
somewhat, notably sub-classification, I'm not sure I'll ever migrate.

"Art McClinton" <Art.McClinton@cox.net> wrote in message
> After 2 full days attempting this move to Quicken, I will definitely wait
> for the converter and hope that it works.

Not that I really care, but there are some brokers that have automatic
downloads, but do not have manual ones.  My Dreyfus account downloads
automatically, but has no manual option.  Not that this is a disaster as
they mail me transaction data, but it would be a problem if I had a lot of
transactions.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"William R Wood" <w.wood@cox.net> wrote in message
> Curiosity forces me to ask both of you......  Why would you even want to
> switch to Quicken, why not just continue using Money?  You already know
> Money, Quicken is an unknown and will require a lot of time to learn and
> adjust to.
>
> The only thing you loose sticking with Money is automatic downloads after
> 1/31/2011.  You can still download everything manually which only takes a
> few mouse clicks.  Of course if MSFT does not remove the activation
> requirement (I believe they will be forced to) for Money Plus users, those
> folks would have to import their data back into an earlier version of
> Money at some point in the future (but at least Money's export/import
> routine works perfectly).
>
> Meantime, you are doing more work diddling with failed attempts to import
> your data into Quicken than you would ever do manually importing downloads
> into Money in 20 years.  :)
>
> Plus Quicken is probably not as good a program overall as Money and Intuit
> is probably worse than MSFT as a vendor, as least in my opinion based on
> my experience over the past 20+ years with both companies.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Wood

0
Privacy1 (389)
7/5/2009 2:08:45 AM
Bill,
I have been reading the discussions here for the last month and I am
puzzled by something you said. "You can still download everything
manually which takes only a few mouse clicks". Maybe I am missing
something,  but.... I have 36 accounts that download each morning when
I open Money. These 36 accounts are with 13 different banks/logins
(some banks have a login for both my husband and myself). So it seems
to me, that if I lose the download capability, then I would have to
login to 13 different places each morning and click the manual
download. This is so much more work than simply clicking Update Now. I
don't know how I could keep up with everything we purchase on debit
and credit cards without the downloads. I have two college students
and my husband who purchase everything electronically. There is no way
I could manually know what to enter myself. With one click of the
button I have everyone's transactions in the correct accounts and most
always categorized. And because we buy EVERYTHING on a credit card to
get points and pay off each month, I may have as many as 15-20
transactions per DAY on just one of those accounts. And I probably
have at least 30-40 transfers of money between accounts every month
that download as well.

I guess I will be going to Quicken at some point, probably at the
beginning of the year if the import feature has been fixed... I have
around 40,000 transactions. I may be trying to run both systems for a
while until I am comfortable with Quicken.  So I am really interested
in knowing if Quicken has the same download capabilities as Money and
I'm following these posts to find out.

If I could prioritize Money for me, then it would be 1 ) Downloads so
I can keep up with all my transactions on a day to day basis 2)Cash
Flow so I can know when to transfer my money around 3) Bill Pay
(actually, that is what keep Cash Flow on tract.)

Just know that for some people, downloads are a big deal. :)

On Jul 4, 10:27=A0am, "William R Wood" <w.w...@cox.net> wrote:
> Curiosity forces me to ask both of you...... =A0Why would you even want t=
> switch to Quicken, why not just continue using Money? =A0You already know
> Money, Quicken is an unknown and will require a lot of time to learn and
> adjust to.
>
> The only thing you loose sticking with Money is automatic downloads after
> 1/31/2011. =A0You can still download everything manually which only takes=
> few mouse clicks. =A0Of course if MSFT does not remove the activation
> requirement (I believe they will be forced to) for Money Plus users, thos=
> folks would have to import their data back into an earlier version of Mon=
ey
> at some point in the future (but at least Money's export/import routine
> works perfectly).
>
> Meantime, you are doing more work diddling with failed attempts to import
> your data into Quicken than you would ever do manually importing download=
> into Money in 20 years. =A0:)
>
> Plus Quicken is probably not as good a program overall as Money and Intui=
> is probably worse than MSFT as a vendor, as least in my opinion based on =
my
> experience over the past 20+ years with both companies.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Wood

0
rhodesbiz (125)
7/5/2009 4:35:08 AM
Sharon,

I am very glad you posted.  Nice to hear from somebody who uses Money hard.

Please keep us posted on your success (or lack thereof) when you start using
Quicken.

We are retired now but we used to approach the volume of banks and
transactions that you are dealing with when our kids still lived at home.
We have 104 Money accounts at various banks/brokers, 46 still open, still
buy everything with a credit card to get cash back and pay the bills in full
every month.  All of our transactions are electronic, many auto debits and
credits to our checking accts, credit card statements many pages long, many
transfers between banks -only write maybe 4-5 paper checks a year.  We used
auto downloads for many years to collect this data.

So I know the value of auto downloads and understand why you like them.
But, personally, I would gladly go to 13 websites each morning to manually
download my transactions before I would switch to Quicken.  :)  And I would
instantly switch banks if any of them did not offer manual downloads.  I
formerly used Quicken and hated it.  I still use TurboTax and hate it (but
there is nothing to switch to).  Intuit is considerably more annoying than
MSFT, in my opinion.  So I ain't switching to Quicken unless and until I
hear from people like you who have switched and say it works as well as
Money.  I doubt that I will be hearing many Quicken endorsements from
credible, experienced Money users such as yourself, but who knows?   In
fact, I doubt that Intuit will ever come up with an import routine that
actually imports all Money data, even with MSFT allegedly helping them.

Like you I value Money's Cash Flow tool highly - that's how I know when to
transfer money around as well and whether we have any money to transfer!  :)
I also use Bills/Deposits (as you say, this is what feeds info to the Cash
Flow tool) and the Budget tool.  Could not live without these 3 crucial
reports and I seriously doubt that Quicken has anything to equal these core
Money features.

Still can't believe MSFT is putting us in this horrible position of
potentially loosing access to Money.  Hope you come up with a solution that
works well for you.

Regards

Bill Wood

On Jul 4, 10:27 am, "William R Wood" <w.w...@cox.net> wrote:
> Curiosity forces me to ask both of you...... Why would you even want to
> switch to Quicken, why not just continue using Money? You already know
> Money, Quicken is an unknown and will require a lot of time to learn and
> adjust to.
>
> The only thing you loose sticking with Money is automatic downloads after
> 1/31/2011. You can still download everything manually which only takes a
> few mouse clicks. Of course if MSFT does not remove the activation
> requirement (I believe they will be forced to) for Money Plus users, those
> folks would have to import their data back into an earlier version of
> Money
> at some point in the future (but at least Money's export/import routine
> works perfectly).
>
> Meantime, you are doing more work diddling with failed attempts to import
> your data into Quicken than you would ever do manually importing downloads
> into Money in 20 years. :)
>
> Plus Quicken is probably not as good a program overall as Money and Intuit
> is probably worse than MSFT as a vendor, as least in my opinion based on
> my
> experience over the past 20+ years with both companies.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Wood

0
w.wood (230)
7/5/2009 2:59:42 PM
Art/SS,

Yes the activation issue with M+ is the big problem for Plus users.  But
there are 2 solutions:

1) Revert back to any version of Money without an activation requirement
(M2007 on CD or any earlier version).  You can export all of your M+ data
into QIF files and then import that data back into any version of Money that
you like.  I know this works because I just did it (M+ back to M2002).

2) Wait for MSFT to remove the activation requirement.  I believe they will
be forced to remove activation and supply patches because plenty of folks
have important data in their Money files and they will scream if they can't
get to it after 1/31/2011 when their computer breaks or whatever.

If you already use a version of Money with no activation requirement (or
revert back) you can simply keep using it probably forever.  Money runs fine
on current versions of Windows (XP/Vista).  I am pretty sure Money will run
fine on Win7 but I can certainly continue to run XP on a separate computer
literally forever, may have to buy new parts or a new computer once in a
while but I can install XP and Money as many times as I want.  Heck, plenty
of folks are still running DOS and Win3.1 programs because they still work
great.

Art mentioned in his first post that he might leave his old transactions in
Money Plus and start fresh with Quicken at the beginning of a year.  Might
need to rethink that.  If your data is in M+ and MSFT does not remove the
activation issue you will not be able to get at that data if you need to
reinstall Money after 1/31/2011.  Plus loosing convenient access to your
historical data could be a real problem.  My Money file is like a diary of
my life and I could not imagine living without it.  And what if you get
audited right after your computer breaks and you can't get at your M+ file??
:)

Maybe one prudent strategy is to do nothing yet.  Just wait and see what
happens - we have 1.5 years to see if Intuit can actually develop an import
solution or whether MSFT drops the activation requirement and makes
permanent patches available.

Regards

Bill Wood

<sandstones@email.com> wrote in message
> Actually my concern is having data in Money plus and then not being
> able to get it out because my computer dies and I will not able to
> reactivate on a new or fixed computer.
>
> I'm still on Money 2007, although I bought Money Plus at the end of
> 2008 when I could still get a rebate on it.  I did one activation on a
> laptop that had its motherboard replacedt, so I think I just have one
> activation left.
>
> So the worst would be that I upgrade to Money Plus while waiting for
> the converter, then I need a new laptop or such.  I have about 30K
> transactions, don't know when/if the converter will work, and if I
> can't reactivate I might not even be able to run QIF export.
>
> I'm hoping to hear something about removing limitations on activation,
> but otherwise just annoyed with Microsoft.  They make new versions of
> Money that no one wants to buy, and then complain that they can't make
> money with the product.  Moneydance seems to be doing OK, with a small
> fraction of the number of customers.
>
> SS
>

> On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 07:27:30 -0700, "William R Wood" <w.wood@cox.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Curiosity forces me to ask both of you......  Why would you even want to
>>switch to Quicken, why not just continue using Money?  You already know
>>Money, Quicken is an unknown and will require a lot of time to learn and
>>adjust to.
>>
>>The only thing you loose sticking with Money is automatic downloads after
>>1/31/2011.  You can still download everything manually which only takes a
>>few mouse clicks.  Of course if MSFT does not remove the activation
>>requirement (I believe they will be forced to) for Money Plus users, those
>>folks would have to import their data back into an earlier version of
>>Money
>>at some point in the future (but at least Money's export/import routine
>>works perfectly).
>>
>>Meantime, you are doing more work diddling with failed attempts to import
>>your data into Quicken than you would ever do manually importing downloads
>>into Money in 20 years.  :)
>>
>>Plus Quicken is probably not as good a program overall as Money and Intuit
>>is probably worse than MSFT as a vendor, as least in my opinion based on
>>my
>>experience over the past 20+ years with both companies.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Bill Wood

0
w.wood (230)
7/5/2009 3:33:32 PM
Bill,

I read and noted with interest the laborious steps you documented to migrate
Money data to an earlier version. Many thanks for that information. My
"failsafe" version will be M2007 on CD. I suspect I know the answer to this
already, but is there no backwards compatibility with Money files that would
avoid the necessity to create loose QIF files for each and every account?
I know. Dream on. But even Outlook (which up until now has shown far less
regard for its end users than Money) has sacrificed backwards compatibility
with its data file only once among its countless versions.
--
Russ Valentine

> [...]
>>>few mouse clicks.  Of course if MSFT does not remove the activation
>>>requirement (I believe they will be forced to) for Money Plus users,
>>>those
>>>folks would have to import their data back into an earlier version of
>>>Money
>>>at some point in the future (but at least Money's export/import routine
>>>works perfectly).
>>>
>>>Meantime, you are doing more work diddling with failed attempts to import
>>>your data into Quicken than you would ever do manually importing
>>>downloads
>>>into Money in 20 years.  :)
>>>
>>>Plus Quicken is probably not as good a program overall as Money and
>>>Intuit
>>>is probably worse than MSFT as a vendor, as least in my opinion based on
>>>my
>>>experience over the past 20+ years with both companies.

0
russval (3097)
7/5/2009 9:00:59 PM
You know the answer to this already. It's been that way for 15 versions.

"Russ Valentine" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> is there no backwards compatibility with Money files that would avoid the
> necessity to create loose QIF files for each and every account?

Yeah, but whoever tried to move back until now? I was just hoping the
developers had tossed us a bone somewhere along the way.
--
Russ Valentine

message news:OxLViab$JHA.4692@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> You know the answer to this already. It's been that way for 15 versions.
>
> "Russ Valentine" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> is there no backwards compatibility with Money files that would avoid the
>> necessity to create loose QIF files for each and every account?

0
russval (3097)
7/5/2009 9:31:25 PM
"William R Wood" wrote:

> Curiosity forces me to ask both of you......  Why would you even want to
> switch to Quicken, why not just continue using Money?  You already know
> Money, Quicken is an unknown and will require a lot of time to learn and
> adjust to.

Be careful Bill, curiosity killed the cat :-)

I started using Money in 1998 when Andrew Tobias retired MYM.  I know Money
very well and had to adapt and find work-arounds for its short comings,
mostly in the budget section.  I assume Quicken will be better in some areas
and worse in others, which, to me, does not make either product superior to
the other.

> The only thing you loose sticking with Money is automatic downloads after
> 1/31/2011.  You can still download everything manually which only takes a
> few mouse clicks.  Of course if MSFT does not remove the activation
> requirement (I believe they will be forced to) for Money Plus users, those
> folks would have to import their data back into an earlier version of Money
> at some point in the future (but at least Money's export/import routine
> works perfectly).

One click download is a an important feature since either myself of my wife
can do this without remembering all of the URLs, usernames and passwords.  I
know there are helpers for this, such as Roboform, but the one click update
makes this process so much easier, which means we do it regularly.

What if the financial industry decides on yet another new format over the
current QIF/QFX?  There is no guarantee that an unsupported Money will be
able to do an import.  I would assume that Quicken will adopt any new format.

> Meantime, you are doing more work diddling with failed attempts to import
> your data into Quicken than you would ever do manually importing downloads
> into Money in 20 years.  :)

Lets say it takes 5 minutes longer to log into all my banks websites and do
a manual download and I do this 3 times a week.  This is 260 hours over 20
years.  This is a quite a bit more time than the weekend I spent trying to
convert my data.  My idea of using a computer is to save time.

> Plus Quicken is probably not as good a program overall as Money and Intuit
> is probably worse than MSFT as a vendor, as least in my opinion based on my
> experience over the past 20+ years with both companies.

To each his own.  With Quicken, there will still be an opportunity to make
it better (or worse).  With Microsoft, it will be in the future as it is now.

> Regards,
>
> Bill Wood

I believe I will have a successful conversion.  I was very close and since
my attempt, I have found some more information that would have helped me.
Even if Intuit does not create a good converter, some other third party could.

If another competitor comes to the forefront in the future, the conversion
from Quicken will be probably be easier than a conversion from Money.  Good
or bad, Quicken has the market share thus will have the most attention to
create conversion programs.

I plan to have my conversion done by the end of this year.  If not, I will
have until 1/31/2011.
Great reply.  Comments in line:

"NeverOutofTune" <NeverOutofTune@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "William R Wood" wrote:

> Be careful Bill, curiosity killed the cat :-)

I know, but my big mouth keeps getting me in trouble.  :)

> I started using Money in 1998 when Andrew Tobias retired MYM.  I know
> Money
> very well and had to adapt and find work-arounds for its short comings,
> mostly in the budget section.  I assume Quicken will be better in some
> areas
> and worse in others, which, to me, does not make either product superior
> the other.

I tried most personal finance programs and used Quicken exclusively for
years.  Q was the best in the early years but as I used it harder I found
major errors that could not be worked around so I switched to Money.  I have
discovered many bugs and limits in Money but no showstoppers.  Don't know
Q's current status but it might not be as you assume - some areas better,
some worse.  When I used Q, it could not perform basic functions or produce
accurate reports for my stock/options trading.  Money handled all functions
perfectly.

By the way, what problems do you have with Money's Budget Tool?  I think is
it virtually perfect and rely on it heavily.

> One click download is a an important feature since either myself of my
> wife
> can do this without remembering all of the URLs, usernames and passwords.
> know there are helpers for this, such as Roboform, but the one click
> update
> makes this process so much easier, which means we do it regularly.

I use Roboform to handle that issue.  But I admit that one click updates are
terrific and it killed me to loose that convenience when M2002 stopped
working.  When I switched to M+ this April, I got my 1 click updates back.
Loved it.  Now that I am back using M2002, I am again stuck with Roboform
and manual downloads.  Compared to switching to Quicken, I will take the
manual downloads.  :)  Reason, I will not give up Money's core features:
Bills/Deposits, Cash Flow tool, Budget Tool.  They are virtually perfect.

> What if the financial industry decides on yet another new format over the
> current QIF/QFX?  There is no guarantee that an unsupported Money will be
> able to do an import.  I would assume that Quicken will adopt any new
> format.

That would be a major problem.  I might be forced to switch to Q or
something else if all banks abandon QIF/OFX unless somebody came up with a
converter for the new format.  But I doubt that will happen anytime soon
since there are lots of Money users who will simply continue using older
versions of Money and lots users of other personal finance software
(Moneydance, GNU Cash, etc) who also rely on QIF/OFX.

> Lets say it takes 5 minutes longer to log into all my banks websites and
> do
> a manual download and I do this 3 times a week.  This is 260 hours over 20
> years.  This is a quite a bit more time than the weekend I spent trying to
> convert my data.  My idea of using a computer is to save time.

Good point.  I use that type of argument all the time.  My only defense is
that switching to Q is going to cause grief and since I cannot currently
know the exact sort or extent of that grief, I am sticking with M2002.  Plus
I am now retired so I can afford the extra time.  But busy people may not
have that luxury.

> To each his own.  With Quicken, there will still be an opportunity to make
> it better (or worse).  With Microsoft, it will be in the future as it is
> now.

Yes, to each his own.  But, knowing Intuit, I am very confident that they
will make Quicken worse.   :)  I vastly prefer the known quantity of Money
which does exactly what I want and love the idea that MSFT can no longer
screw it up.

> I believe I will have a successful conversion.  I was very close and since
> my attempt, I have found some more information that would have helped me.
> Even if Intuit does not create a good converter, some other third party
> could.

I really hope you do have a successful conversion.  I want to hear from
serious Money users how they like Quicken by comparison.

> If another competitor comes to the forefront in the future, the conversion
> from Quicken will be probably be easier than a conversion from Money.

Maybe but a smart competitor would be foolish to ignore the many Money users
who will remain so its likely that Money conversions would be available.

>Good or bad, Quicken has the market share thus will have the most attention
> create conversion programs.

Don't know about that.  As of right now, Intuit does not have a decent
import routine for Money files and never has.  That fact makes me wonder if
they will ever figure it out.  Moneydance, another competitor who would
benefit from picking up Money users, also lacks a working import routine for
Money files.

> I plan to have my conversion done by the end of this year.  If not, I will
> have until 1/31/2011.

True, waiting to see what comes along is probably a good idea.  After all
MSFT might relent and remove the activation requirement on M+ and otherwise
provide help for existing users to continue with Money indefinitely.

My bottom line position remains.  Why try to switch to Quicken when you are
already familiar and satisfied with Money?  Why not push MSFT to remove
activation and preserve downloads so that Money is usable indefinitely?

Another possibility.  Moneydance can somehow directly download bank
transactions I assume by emulating Money or Quicken.  If the MD developer
can figure that out, why can't someone come up with a utility add on for
Money that will allow the same thing after MSFT bails out of the download
business?  I'd buy that utility in about a half second.

Kindly let us know what happens if you do convert to Quicken.

Regards

Bill Wood

0
w.wood (230)
7/6/2009 12:29:07 AM
Bill,
Your Money use sounds VERY much like mine.

 I'm glad someone understands how hard this is going to be. I feel
like a Moneyholic... I don't think I can let go. :)

My current Plus version expires in September and I've already
purchased another Plus version (and activation key) to keep using it
until 2011. At some point though  (I'm thinking this October) I will
try to move my files into Quicken and try to maintain both Money and
Quicken for a while to see if I can even trust Quicken to keep up with
my needs. I use Turbo Tax too, but do not import my files from Money
into it.

I'm really upset with Microsoft too and have read almost everyone's
post here about the situation. I keep hoping that someone will step up
and purchase Money from Microsoft or they will let it become Open
Source and then it can REALLY be improved. I am an admin with a Moodle
Course Management Systems (open source) for a school system and it
amazes me that users can ask for improvements..... and then the
requests really are added to the next version.

I'll keep watching the forum here and post back my successes and
failures.... I'm sure there will be some of both.

Thanks,
Sharon

On Jul 5, 10:59=A0am, "William R Wood" <w.w...@cox.net> wrote:
> [...]
> > requirement (I believe they will be forced to) for Money Plus users, th=
ose
> > folks would have to import their data back into an earlier version of
> > Money
> > at some point in the future (but at least Money's export/import routine
> > works perfectly).
>
> > Meantime, you are doing more work diddling with failed attempts to impo=
rt
> > your data into Quicken than you would ever do manually importing downlo=
> > into Money in 20 years. :)
>
> > Plus Quicken is probably not as good a program overall as Money and Int=
uit
> > is probably worse than MSFT as a vendor, as least in my opinion based o=
> > my
> > experience over the past 20+ years with both companies.

0
rhodesbiz (125)
7/6/2009 3:07:37 AM
"William R Wood" wrote:

> By the way, what problems do you have with Money's Budget Tool?  I think is
> it virtually perfect and rely on it heavily.

Not sure when this happened but when Money came out with the three budget
types, Essential Budget, Advanced Budget, and Savings and Spending Budget,
the Advanced Budget, specifically income taxes, did not link correctly to the
Lifetime Planner, a feature I began to use heavily.  To remedy this, I found
the Savings and Spending Budget (SSB) worked better with the Lifetime planner.

The SSB is pretty straight forward but it does not link to the Bills
section.  It also has a problem if you reduce a budget item. The amount you
reduced would be added to the unallocated field and the amount of the major
budget category did not change.  I found a work-around in which I zero'ed out
the major category monthly amounts and when pressing enter during the edit,
it would complain and state the minimum it needed to be.  I would then enter
the minimum amount for each month which eliminated the unallocated amount.  I
got pretty efficient at this and since my budget only changes once a year,
the problem was minimal.  In previous versions, the budget was perfect.

> I use Roboform to handle that issue.  But I admit that one click updates are
> terrific and it killed me to loose that convenience when M2002 stopped
> working.

Maybe a combination of Roboform and an Autohotkey script could virtually
make manual downloads as simple as one click.

> That would be a major problem.  I might be forced to switch to Q or
> something else if all banks abandon QIF/OFX unless somebody came up with a
> converter for the new format.  But I doubt that will happen anytime soon
> since there are lots of Money users who will simply continue using older
> versions of Money and lots users of other personal finance software
> (Moneydance, GNU Cash, etc) who also rely on QIF/OFX.

It seems the QFX was well thought out.  I believe both Quicken and Microsoft
were part of the group effort to create the QFX format.  So, hopefully it
will be around for quite some time.

> True, waiting to see what comes along is probably a good idea.  After all
> MSFT might relent and remove the activation requirement on M+ and otherwise
> provide help for existing users to continue with Money indefinitely.

I have my doubts about MSFT relenting.   But I hope I am wrong because Money
does everything I need it to do and it does it without crashing and screwing
up the data.  During a few of my conversion tests, I had Quicken freeze up.
Another bug of Quicken 2009 Premium is that it will crash if you remove all
the built-in categories.  You have to leave at least one.

> My bottom line position remains.  Why try to switch to Quicken when you are
> already familiar and satisfied with Money?  Why not push MSFT to remove
> activation and preserve downloads so that Money is usable indefinitely?

I really don't want to switch but I want to make sure I am prepared if
forced to.  When the time comes (Intuit or someone has a converter), I will
be ready to try it out and run both programs with live data.

I bought Quicken only because they offered a 90 day return (which I
exercised) and had hoped for a fairly easy (2 - 4 hour) conversion.  As I got
into the conversion, the task became more daunting but I forged on until I
determined the effort was no longer worth the time (and no longer fun).  I am
a littled hard headed and love a challenge and I was convinced I could get
the conversion to work.  But alas, my bubble was burst and my tail is between
my legs.

One good thing from all this is that it forced me to clean up my Money file.
 I had many investments that I sold that would still show up in a "Portfolio
value by investment account" report with a balance of one or two cents.
Through some investigating I found I needed to get very granular with the
quantities (accuracy to five places to the right of the decimal) to get the
sold investment off the report.  I also merged a few of my redundant
categories, renamed others to be more meaningful and reconciled all my
accounts.

Now that I have a squeaky-clean Money file, I want to keep it!

Bill,

I have over 10 years in MS Money and while I agree that learning Quicken
will be cumbersome, there is one aspect of Money that you don't use and as a
result fail to incorporate everytime you tell people to keep using MS Money.

My wife and I use the bill pay functionality within MS Money and this will
no longer be available after 1/31/2010.  There are many advantages to paying
bills through Money.  First, it is one interface to use.  Second, it provides
reminders of when bills are due which prevents any of them from slipping
through the cracks and adversely affecting our credit score due to a missed
payment.  When paying the bills through Money the bills are noted as being
paid and when downloaded from the bank, MS Money automatically matches them
which means almost all bank account transactions are classified because it
uses the classifications from the bill pay.

MS Money allows us to be proactive in paying bills whereas your solution to
downloading transactions and classifying them is reactive in nature.

In other words, in addition to the activation issue, I have to weigh
changing to the bank's bill pay portal and away from the bill pay
functinoality provided within Quicken.

Please keep this in mind before you keep telling everyone that the only
thing they are losing is automatic downloads.

"William R Wood" wrote:

> Curiosity forces me to ask both of you......  Why would you even want to
> switch to Quicken, why not just continue using Money?  You already know
> Money, Quicken is an unknown and will require a lot of time to learn and
> adjust to.
>
> The only thing you loose sticking with Money is automatic downloads after
> 1/31/2011.  You can still download everything manually which only takes a
> few mouse clicks.  Of course if MSFT does not remove the activation
> requirement (I believe they will be forced to) for Money Plus users, those
> folks would have to import their data back into an earlier version of Money
> at some point in the future (but at least Money's export/import routine
> works perfectly).
>
> Meantime, you are doing more work diddling with failed attempts to import
> your data into Quicken than you would ever do manually importing downloads
> into Money in 20 years.  :)
>
> Plus Quicken is probably not as good a program overall as Money and Intuit
> is probably worse than MSFT as a vendor, as least in my opinion based on my
> experience over the past 20+ years with both companies.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Wood

0
mfogarty (16)
7/6/2009 3:25:01 PM
Good point, you are right, I definitely should have mentioned that.

But, I would also argue that Bill Pay is not the best solution and therefore
not an issue.  :)

Bill Pay beats old style manual pay of course but it requires setup and
monitoring work on your part and you retain the risk of late/missed payments
due to system failure (your's, ISP's or bank's).  I did try Bill Pay and it
works fine, but it is a distant second to the Autopay method I use.

I pay all of our bills electronically via ACH debit to our checking acct
(only used if creditor refuses to accept credit card payments) or automatic
charge to our credit card (most of our bills).  The advantages of  Autopay
over BillPay are huge.

1) Autopay is always free, some banks charge for BillPay.
2) The risk of late/missed payments is shifted from me to the creditor.  :)
3) Payments are always made on the due date, never early and often late,
giving me maximum possession time for my money upon which I am earning
interest.
4) All setup and monitoring work is done by the creditor, not me.
5) My credit cards pay us cashback awards on the gross amount of all bills
(we have collected thousands of dollars in cash back payments simply by
paying most of our bills with a credit card - we pay the card in full every
month of course).  We even pay the credit card bills by ACH autopay.
6) I don't need any special interface or functionality in Money or any other
software since the creditor must do all the work and I don't have to worry
about whether my banks support BillPay.
7) Some creditors give us a discount for autopay.  For example, my electric
company gives us a 2% discount.

And all of our bills are scheduled in Bills/Deposits so when I download our
bank and credit card transactions, Money automatically matches them and the
correct categories are automatically included in the register entry.  :)

Some folks fret about giving creditors authority to auto charge a credit
card or checking account.  There is no risk.  You are never responsible for
unauthorized charges so mistakes must be corrected by the creditor.  I have
been using Autopay for at least 15 years and no creditor has ever made a
mistake or entered an improper charge against my bank account or credit
card.  In fact I just turned 65 and now those thieves at AARP are auto
debiting my checking account for Medicare premiums.  But I save $2.00 per
month on the premium.  :)

Keep Money, dump Bill Pay!!  :)    Sorry couldn't resist.

Regards

Bill Wood

"mfogarty" <mfogarty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Bill,
>
> I have over 10 years in MS Money and while I agree that learning Quicken
> will be cumbersome, there is one aspect of Money that you don't use and as
> result fail to incorporate everytime you tell people to keep using MS
> Money.
>
> My wife and I use the bill pay functionality within MS Money and this will
> no longer be available after 1/31/2010.  There are many advantages to
> paying
> bills through Money.  First, it is one interface to use.  Second, it
> provides
> reminders of when bills are due which prevents any of them from slipping
> through the cracks and adversely affecting our credit score due to a
> missed
> payment.  When paying the bills through Money the bills are noted as being
> paid and when downloaded from the bank, MS Money automatically matches
> them
> which means almost all bank account transactions are classified because it
> uses the classifications from the bill pay.
>
> MS Money allows us to be proactive in paying bills whereas your solution
> downloading transactions and classifying them is reactive in nature.
>
> In other words, in addition to the activation issue, I have to weigh
> changing to the bank's bill pay portal and away from the bill pay
> functinoality provided within Quicken.
>
> Please keep this in mind before you keep telling everyone that the only
> thing they are losing is automatic downloads.

0
w.wood (230)
7/6/2009 7:05:00 PM
I have been playing around with converting from Money Plus to Q2008.

I found that making a lot of accounts in a test file is easy - Quicken will
import a QIF file of accounts and will create the accounts.  Thus, I have a
QIF file I created of all the accounts that I want to transfer.  That way,
if I start a new file, I can import one file and all accounts exist.  The
file format is:
!Account
NAccount Name1
TBank
^
NAccount Name2
TCCard
^
NAccount Name3
TInvest
^
NAccount Name4
TOth A
^

The lines starting with "N" are the account name and starting with "T" are
the account type (Bank = Savings or Checking, CCard = credit Card, Invest -
investment, and Oth A = Other Asset).  The header line !Account tells
Quicken to load account names.  I have found Wikipedia to be a help with QIF
format.

 - Ron

"Art McClinton" <Art.McClinton@cox.net> wrote in message
> The following is a series of lessons learned in attempting to use QIF to
> move 13 1/2 years of data from Money Plus to Quicken. I purchased 2009 and
> contacted Quicken support who provided Quicken 2004 and directions to use
> QIF files to perform the conversion.
>
> 1) Make certain that you change all of your account names to be less than
> 15 characters.
> 2) Same for categories and classifications
> 3) If you use sub classifications they will go over combined with the
> classification.  Quicken does not have sub-classifications.
> 4) export all of your accounts to separate files. In my case this is 80
> accounts.
> 5) within quicken create all of the accounts using the same names as the
> names in Money. Do not worry about starting balance as it will be a null
> entry that does nothing.
> 6) when importing your files be careful that when accepting them that they
> do not match other transactions. The matched transactions appear at the
> top of the list.
> 7) I was unable to transfer loan accounts. Other problems, and no loans in
> past 8 years resulted in me not working on trying to solve this issue.
> 8) Investment cash account was not transferred. Thus where I was entering
> my employers match directly into the 403B accounts cash entry, it was
> dropped and I had to enter it.  2 solutions were to
> a) create a qif file with the entries (I did this by entering a few in the
> quicken side and then exporting them and then using notepad to create the
> file for entry with every entry), or
> b) create a single annual entry of the total for the year.
> 9) the transfer from my checking account to the cash portion of my
> investment account turned out in error. For example if the transfer was to
> the XXX 403B then the entry in the checking account was to the category
> "XXX 403B (CA.." This had to manually be changed to [XXX 403B] to point to
> the investment account instead of the category.
> 10) many transfers for unknown reasons ended up pointing to the wrong
> accounts and had to be corrected.
> 11) the worst item was if the QIF file had a duplicate entry (2 identical
> expenses on the same date) the second one was dropped. I found this when I
> wrote checks to mine and my wife's Roth IRA. Knowing that I would often
> hit the local oil change place twice in same day I checked it and found
> only 1 had moved across.
>
> After 2 full days attempting this move to Quicken, I will definitely wait
> for the converter and hope that it works.  If it does not then I guess I
> may just leave old transactions in Money and start afresh with Quicken on
> a year boundary.
>
> Art McClinton

0
MSNews6426 (15)
7/7/2009 3:43:03 AM
Art,
Did you run into QIF imports where portions of a split are missing?  I have
run into that with payroll transactions.  The QIF file has all the parts and
pieces it should have for the transaction, but when the transaction is
imported, some of the transfer's are totally missing from the splits.  I
have been able to duplicate this with a sample QIF transaction that I
created.  It is really odd, and would make it very difficult to use QIF to
get to Quicken.

 - Ron

"Art McClinton" <Art.McClinton@cox.net> wrote in message
> The following is a series of lessons learned in attempting to use QIF to
> move 13 1/2 years of data from Money Plus to Quicken. I purchased 2009 and
> contacted Quicken support who provided Quicken 2004 and directions to use
> QIF files to perform the conversion.
>
> 1) Make certain that you change all of your account names to be less than
> 15 characters.
> 2) Same for categories and classifications
> 3) If you use sub classifications they will go over combined with the
> classification.  Quicken does not have sub-classifications.
> 4) export all of your accounts to separate files. In my case this is 80
> accounts.
> 5) within quicken create all of the accounts using the same names as the
> names in Money. Do not worry about starting balance as it will be a null
> entry that does nothing.
> 6) when importing your files be careful that when accepting them that they
> do not match other transactions. The matched transactions appear at the
> top of the list.
> 7) I was unable to transfer loan accounts. Other problems, and no loans in
> past 8 years resulted in me not working on trying to solve this issue.
> 8) Investment cash account was not transferred. Thus where I was entering
> my employers match directly into the 403B accounts cash entry, it was
> dropped and I had to enter it.  2 solutions were to
> a) create a qif file with the entries (I did this by entering a few in the
> quicken side and then exporting them and then using notepad to create the
> file for entry with every entry), or
> b) create a single annual entry of the total for the year.
> 9) the transfer from my checking account to the cash portion of my
> investment account turned out in error. For example if the transfer was to
> the XXX 403B then the entry in the checking account was to the category
> "XXX 403B (CA.." This had to manually be changed to [XXX 403B] to point to
> the investment account instead of the category.
> 10) many transfers for unknown reasons ended up pointing to the wrong
> accounts and had to be corrected.
> 11) the worst item was if the QIF file had a duplicate entry (2 identical
> expenses on the same date) the second one was dropped. I found this when I
> wrote checks to mine and my wife's Roth IRA. Knowing that I would often
> hit the local oil change place twice in same day I checked it and found
> only 1 had moved across.
>
> After 2 full days attempting this move to Quicken, I will definitely wait
> for the converter and hope that it works.  If it does not then I guess I
> may just leave old transactions in Money and start afresh with Quicken on
> a year boundary.
>
> Art McClinton

0
MSNews6426 (15)
7/7/2009 3:46:04 AM
Hi Bill,

You write:

>> But, I would also argue that Bill Pay is not the best solution and
>> therefore  not an issue.  :)

Sounds like the tail wagging the dog.  I suspect some have made a thoughtful
decision to use Bill Pay and not Apay - and those reasons don't go away
because of a threat to switch to another product.  For most bills, I
personally would rather risk a late bill and have control exactly when a
bill gets paid at the time it gets paid.

-- John

> [...]
>> missed
>> payment.  When paying the bills through Money the bills are noted as
>> being
>> paid and when downloaded from the bank, MS Money automatically matches
>> them
>> which means almost all bank account transactions are classified because
>> it
>> uses the classifications from the bill pay.
>>
>> MS Money allows us to be proactive in paying bills whereas your solution
>> downloading transactions and classifying them is reactive in nature.
>>
>> In other words, in addition to the activation issue, I have to weigh
>> changing to the bank's bill pay portal and away from the bill pay
>> functinoality provided within Quicken.
>>
>> Please keep this in mind before you keep telling everyone that the only
>> thing they are losing is automatic downloads.

John4384 (87)
7/7/2009 5:47:14 AM
I caught a glimpse of "JohnA" <John@spamguard-TheAtas.org> on Tue, 7 Jul
2009 01:47:14 -0400, writing in microsoft.public.money:

>-- John

One day you might like to try:
-- (space)
John (on the next line line)
--

 Erik
Hi John,  comments in line:

"JohnA" <John@spamguard-TheAtas.org> wrote in message
> Hi Bill,
>
> You write:
>
>>> But, I would also argue that Bill Pay is not the best solution and
>>> therefore not an issue.  :)
>
> Sounds like the tail wagging the dog.

Not sure what you mean by this?  I tried BillPay and it was way more work
and cost me big money (especially the opportunity cost of loosing credit
card cashback) compared to AutoPay so why should BillPay represent a reason
to switch to Quicken?

> I suspect some have made a thoughtful decision to use Bill Pay and not
> Apay - and those reasons don't go away because of a threat to switch to
> another product.

But what are the reasons?  I am not arguing, I am looking for information.

I am not married to any system and will adopt any new method that saves me
time and money.

> For most bills, I personally would rather risk a late bill and have
> control exactly when a bill gets paid at the time it gets paid.

Why?  Again, not arguing but I cannot see how BillPay gives me any useful
control that I don't already have with AutoPay.

As the bill payor I want the bill paid as late as possible so I can keep my
money in my hands earning interest as long as possible.  I certainly don't
want to pay anybody early.  With BillPay the latest I can pay a bill is the
due date.  But that forces me to monitor due dates which can and do change
month to month.  And if I initiate the bill payment, my money is debited
against my account instantly on the due date.  Bad for me because I cease
earning interest.  With AutoPay, my creditor initiates the payment on the
due date, which they have to monitor, but the bank processing time delays
the actual debit from my account for a day or two so I get a day or two
extra interest on every bill, every month, every year, which adds up over
time.  Plus many times the creditor is late initiating the payment giving us
even more extra interest.

Regards

Bill Wood

0
w.wood (230)
7/7/2009 1:02:13 PM

"William R Wood" wrote:

> > I suspect some have made a thoughtful decision to use Bill Pay and not
> > Apay - and those reasons don't go away because of a threat to switch to
> > another product.
>
> But what are the reasons?  I am not arguing, I am looking for information.
>
> I am not married to any system and will adopt any new method that saves me
> time and money.
>
> > For most bills, I personally would rather risk a late bill and have
> > control exactly when a bill gets paid at the time it gets paid.

Bill,

I'll give two great examples of why JohnA and I agree about the control issue.

First, when I moved from an apartment to a house I called the local electric
utility to transfer service.  At the time, I was on autopay like you and I
asked if that would continue or if I needed to restart it.  They told me to
pay my first month's bill at the new house via check and then to sign up
again for autopay.  So that's what I did.  What happened when I checked
online after I mailed my check?  They debited my account anyway!!  So I had
to stop payment on the check and then they charged me a bad check fee that
they wouldn't refund.

In the second instance, I had Directv at the apartment that was also on
autopay.  about a month before we moved I took it off of autopay and paid it
manually.  When I cancelled my service they assessed me an early termination
fee that they eventually waived a few months later.  If I had been on autopay
they would have drafted the $150 early termination fee and I probably never
would have gotten it back.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Obviously you have never dealt with a company that has erroneously debited
your accounts or you would not be using so many autopays.  It's damn near
impossible to get your money back.
0
mfogarty (16)
7/7/2009 1:42:01 PM

> "William R Wood" wrote:
>

> Not sure when this happened but when Money came out with the three budget
> types, Essential Budget, Advanced Budget, and Savings and Spending Budget,
> the Advanced Budget, specifically income taxes, did not link correctly to
> the
> Lifetime Planner, a feature I began to use heavily.  To remedy this, I
> found
> the Savings and Spending Budget (SSB) worked better with the Lifetime
> planner.
>
> The SSB is pretty straight forward but it does not link to the Bills
> section.  It also has a problem if you reduce a budget item. The amount
> you
> reduced would be added to the unallocated field and the amount of the
> major
> budget category did not change.  I found a work-around in which I zero'ed
> out
> the major category monthly amounts and when pressing enter during the
> edit,
> it would complain and state the minimum it needed to be.  I would then
> enter
> the minimum amount for each month which eliminated the unallocated amount.
> got pretty efficient at this and since my budget only changes once a year,
> the problem was minimal.  In previous versions, the budget was perfect.

Never upgraded beyond M2002 until last month and never tried Lifetime
Planner so I never saw those issues.

> Maybe a combination of Roboform and an Autohotkey script could virtually
> make manual downloads as simple as one click.

Thanks for the tip.  I will look into that if MSFT does not help us by
lifting the activation requirement and allowing direct downloads to continue
indefinitely.

> I have my doubts about MSFT relenting.   But I hope I am wrong because
> Money
> does everything I need it to do and it does it without crashing and
> screwing
> up the data.  During a few of my conversion tests, I had Quicken freeze
> up.
> Another bug of Quicken 2009 Premium is that it will crash if you remove
> all
> the built-in categories.  You have to leave at least one.

This is the exact type of hassle that I don't want to deal with.  Switching
to Q is going to cause everybody problems of one sort or another.  Money now
works perfectly for me so I don't want to be forced to switch.

> I really don't want to switch but I want to make sure I am prepared if
> forced to.  When the time comes (Intuit or someone has a converter), I
> will
> be ready to try it out and run both programs with live data.

I certainly agree with that strategy.  I just reverted back to M2002 from M+
to give myself maximun time to evaluate all options.  I can probably use
M2002 forever by simply maintaining a legacy system running XP Pro.  But if
MSFT or somebody makes it possible to use M+ I would switch to that just to
get the Nuke the Bills feature which M2002 lacks.  Otherwise M+ is virtually
identical to M2002 so I love it.  And if Intuit does make a converter that
works and I get credible reports that Quicken can duplicate Money's core
features (Bills, Budget, CashFlow, Reports) I will certainly try it.

> I bought Quicken only because they offered a 90 day return (which I
> exercised) and had hoped for a fairly easy (2 - 4 hour) conversion.  As I
> got
> into the conversion, the task became more daunting but I forged on until I
> determined the effort was no longer worth the time (and no longer fun).  I
> am
> a littled hard headed and love a challenge and I was convinced I could get
> the conversion to work.  But alas, my bubble was burst and my tail is
> between
> my legs.

Yes, I know the feeling.  A few years back I tried the same thing with
Moneydance.  I was determined to import my Money file into MD and I forged
on until my fingers were bleeding before I finally gave up.  Hardheaded is
my middle name.  :)  But then I decided to start an MD file from scratch
just so I could see how it worked with live data.  Created about 50 accounts
and used plug figures to match all my open account balances in Money as of
the beginning of a month.  Then started downloading and using MD and Money
side by side.  Did that for the best part of a year.  Total frustration.
Finally dumped MD.  Quirky, buggy, frequent updates which often added new
bugs, pitiful reports, far short of Money's ease of use and power.

That experience plus my prior use of Quicken years ago makes me very leary
of trying any new personal finance program especially when I know that Money
is near perfect and does everything I need.

> One good thing from all this is that it forced me to clean up my Money
> file.
> I had many investments that I sold that would still show up in a
> "Portfolio
> value by investment account" report with a balance of one or two cents.
> Through some investigating I found I needed to get very granular with the
> quantities (accuracy to five places to the right of the decimal) to get
> the
> sold investment off the report.  I also merged a few of my redundant
> categories, renamed others to be more meaningful and reconciled all my
> accounts.
>
> Now that I have a squeaky-clean Money file, I want to keep it!

Yes indeed, I just went through the exact same clean up when I reverted back
to M2002 from M+.  I bought M+ and it converted my M2002 file which was
getting slow due to Bill/Deposits and Budget issues.  Then I used Nuke the
Bills in M+ to get rid of old Bills and Budgets.  Recreated both and all was
perfect.  Then I reverted back to M2002 after the MSFT cancellation
announcement.  In the process of exporting all data and importing it back
into M2002 I came across Portfolio issues like you described and fixed them
all.   And you are right I also needed 5 decimal point accuracy to get my
quantities right and eliminate those one or two cent balances.  Now my Money
file is also squeaky clean and definitely want to keep it.  Plus with the
new super clean file M2002 is rocket fast, way faster than M+, I still can't
believe how well it works now.  Still another reason to stick with Money.

Regards,

Bill Wood

0
w.wood (230)
7/7/2009 2:05:32 PM
Ok, I read the examples and I probably don't understand them fully but as is
I don't feel that they support a case for BillPay.  :)

If you move from one house to another the electric company is not going to
double bill you - that's illegal.  If you paid the same bill with a check
that was also mistakenly paid by AutoPay, a call to the utility company
would resolve that mistake.  No need to stop payment on the check, simply
call them and ask them to hold the check until next month or give you a
credit against next month's bill.  Stopping payment on a check costs money,
your own bank charges you a fee and the recipient's bank charges another fee
when the deposit does not clear.  There is no way the utility company would
try to screw you, there was a mistake somewhere - they are all regulated by
a state agency and if a problem develops a call to that agency will resolve
it.

As to the DirectTV situation, why couldn't you simply call the company,
explain why you needed to cancel early and ask for a waiver of the penalty.
Most vendors will waive penalties (and obviously your vendor did).  If they
refused you could have cancelled Autopay on the spot and they could not have
debited your account anyway.  Any Autopay can be cancelled immediately -
call the creditor, ask to talk to a supervisor, tell them Autopay authority
is terminated effective immediately, then confirm your revocation of
authority by fax, email or letter addressed to that supervisor.  Your bank
will probably reverse any auto pay debited to your account dated thereafter
and you can complain to your local regulator of the cable/satellite TV
companies.

I have been using AutoPay/Direct Deposit for at least 15 years and have
started, stopped and restarted AutoPays/Deposits for various reasons
(moving, changing jobs, companies, etc) many times and never had a single
problem.

The bottom line is that your examples are unusual situations not business as
usual.  Under normal everyday conditions, Autopay makes me money with zero
work.  BillPay would make me work and cost me significant money.

So I still say, dump BillPay, keep Money!  :)

> I'll give two great examples of why JohnA and I agree about the control
> issue.
>
> First, when I moved from an apartment to a house I called the local
> electric
> utility to transfer service.  At the time, I was on autopay like you and I
> asked if that would continue or if I needed to restart it.  They told me
> pay my first month's bill at the new house via check and then to sign up
> again for autopay.  So that's what I did.  What happened when I checked
> online after I mailed my check?  They debited my account anyway!!  So I
> had
> to stop payment on the check and then they charged me a bad check fee that
> they wouldn't refund.
>
> In the second instance, I had Directv at the apartment that was also on
> autopay.  about a month before we moved I took it off of autopay and paid
> it
> manually.  When I cancelled my service they assessed me an early
> termination
> fee that they eventually waived a few months later.  If I had been on
> autopay
> they would have drafted the $150 early termination fee and I probably
> never
> would have gotten it back.
>
> An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
>
> Obviously you have never dealt with a company that has erroneously debited
> your accounts or you would not be using so many autopays.  It's damn near
> impossible to get your money back.

0
w.wood (230)
7/7/2009 3:39:54 PM
Yes I found that. But since it was a transfer to another account, when I
imported that account it resulted in entries in the checking account to
handle the transfer. Thus my pay check had all the various categories you
might see
Gross taxable Pay - xxx
Non-Taxable Pay - xxx
Various Tax Categories - xxx
Health insurance - xxx
Transfer to Savings account - xxx
Transfer to 403B (Contribution) - xxx

I found that the transfer to savings did not appear, but when I entered the
QIF for the savings file it then was listed as another transaction in the
checking account.

The transfer to 403B (contribution) account ended up going to the category
"403B (con" category. When I found this I was able to use the search and
replace to find all occurrences of the "403B (con" category and change all
of them to "[403B]". Note that it finds them in both the high level and the
split. I selected all and issued the replace. It gave a warning message that
it could only change the split entry. Of course that was what I wanted.

It appeared that I was able to work around it. It is no longer a single
entry, in some cases it ended up as 5 entries.

Art

ps - thanks for the clue on how to enter the accounts. I think that would
help tremendously as manually creating the accounts took a lot of time and
had to be very careful to enter the names exactly.

"Art McClinton" wrote:

> Yes I found that. But since it was a transfer to another account, when I
> imported that account it resulted in entries in the checking account to
> handle the transfer. Thus my pay check had all the various categories you
> might see
> Gross taxable Pay - xxx
> Non-Taxable Pay - xxx
> Various Tax Categories - xxx
> Health insurance - xxx
> Transfer to Savings account - xxx
> Transfer to 403B (Contribution) - xxx
>
> I found that the transfer to savings did not appear, but when I entered the
> QIF for the savings file it then was listed as another transaction in the
> checking account.
>
> The transfer to 403B (contribution) account ended up going to the category
> "403B (con" category. When I found this I was able to use the search and
> replace to find all occurrences of the "403B (con" category and change all
> of them to "[403B]". Note that it finds them in both the high level and the
> split. I selected all and issued the replace. It gave a warning message that
> it could only change the split entry. Of course that was what I wanted.
>
> It appeared that I was able to work around it. It is no longer a single
> entry, in some cases it ended up as 5 entries.
>
> Art

This is exactly where I stopped my conversion to Q09.  I knew that my
paycheck transfer to my 401k would go to a category and I could do a global
search and replace but I was uncertain that it would find all of them and I
was running out of time to test thoroughly.

But now I am glad I stopped because I had not done the thorough cleaning of
my money that I have since done.

How did you import your cash (contribution) portion of your 403B?

"mfogarty" wrote:

> Bill,
>
> I'll give two great examples of why JohnA and I agree about the control issue.

And in this corner, the tag team of ...

I agree with Bill about using Autopay.  I, too, have used it for countless
years.  It's free, painless to setup, and I (or my wife) never forget a bill.
 And I watch it like a hawk with a the downloads every few days.

Not every system works for everyone the same way.  What is important is that
you have a system that works for you.

I am a fanatic about budgeting, tracking to the penny, and squeezing every
ounce of interest out of my money.  I have a sister who use the envelope
system.  She keeps various envelopes with money in them for each bill.  She
then takes the envelope of money to whoever she owes or to the bank to make a
deposit so she can write a check or get a money order.  To maintain order at
family get-togethers, we have an agreement to never discuss money handling.

"NeverOutofTune" wrote:
> Not every system works for everyone the same way.  What is important is that
> you have a system that works for you.

I couldn't agree more.  If you like to use auto pay and it simplifies your
life, then by all means do so.  My issue is that Bill keeps telling everyone
to keep using MS Money because the only thing they lose is auto downloads.
He is of course assuming that the activation issue is solved because if it
isn't he recommends stockpiling PC parts so that we can run XP or Vista in
perpetuity.

He doesn't understand that some of us are not retired and don't spend an
hour a day in MS Money.  I can track every dollar(including cash) I have
spent over the past 10 years, but there are sometimes that I go a month or
two without reconciling accounts and then I catch up all at once.  Auto pay
only works if the user, like you "watch it like a hawk with a the downloads
every few days."  Some of use other features available in the application to
manage and control our financial lives that will be affected by the 1/31/2011
date.

Like you said, "Not every system works for everyone the same way.  What is
important is that you have a system that works for you."

I agree and wish that everyone would take the same approach before providing
advice to others.

0
mfogarty (16)
7/8/2009 2:54:01 PM

> "Art McClinton" wrote:
>
>> Yes I found that. But since it was a transfer to another account, when I
>> imported that account it resulted in entries in the checking account to
>> handle the transfer. Thus my pay check had all the various categories you
>> might see
>> Gross taxable Pay - xxx
>> Non-Taxable Pay - xxx
>> Various Tax Categories - xxx
>> Health insurance - xxx
>> Transfer to Savings account - xxx
>> Transfer to 403B (Contribution) - xxx
>>
>> I found that the transfer to savings did not appear, but when I entered
>> the
>> QIF for the savings file it then was listed as another transaction in the
>> checking account.
>>
>> The transfer to 403B (contribution) account ended up going to the
>> category
>> "403B (con" category. When I found this I was able to use the search and
>> replace to find all occurrences of the "403B (con" category and change
>> all
>> of them to "[403B]". Note that it finds them in both the high level and
>> the
>> split. I selected all and issued the replace. It gave a warning message
>> that
>> it could only change the split entry. Of course that was what I wanted.
>>
>> It appeared that I was able to work around it. It is no longer a single
>> entry, in some cases it ended up as 5 entries.
>>
>> Art
>>

> This is exactly where I stopped my conversion to Q09.  I knew that my
> paycheck transfer to my 401k would go to a category and I could do a
> global
> search and replace but I was uncertain that it would find all of them and
> was running out of time to test thoroughly.
>
> But now I am glad I stopped because I had not done the thorough cleaning
> of
> my money that I have since done.
>
> How did you import your cash (contribution) portion of your 403B?

I had to manually recreate it.  I first tried exporting a QIF file from
Money declaring the account as not an investment account. That created a QIF
file that had the cash (contribution) section of the 403B, however Quicken
refused to import it. Then I went into Quicken and manually entered 2 cash
entries into an empty investment account and exported it. I then took that
QIF file and manually created the full file with all the information and
imported it.

Art

Bill, Sharon,

Thanks a lot for your discussion thread - I could find answers to some
questions that have been sitting in my mind ... basically contemplating and
trying to decide whether to move to QUICKEN. Please please do respond with
your experiences with the software. Guess I will continue for sometime with
MONEY (really love it!). Dont have so many acccounts so should be able to
download manually - it is pretty quick ...only that one has to login to the
accounts.

Thanks again!

Pat

"Sharon" wrote:

> [...]
> > > 1/31/2011. You can still download everything manually which only takes a
> > > few mouse clicks. Of course if MSFT does not remove the activation
> > > requirement (I believe they will be forced to) for Money Plus users, those
> > > folks would have to import their data back into an earlier version of
> > > Money
> > > at some point in the future (but at least Money's export/import routine
> > > works perfectly).
> >
> > > Meantime, you are doing more work diddling with failed attempts to import
> > > your data into Quicken than you would ever do manually importing downloads
> > > into Money in 20 years. :)
> >
> > > Plus Quicken is probably not as good a program overall as Money and Intuit
> > > is probably worse than MSFT as a vendor, as least in my opinion based on
> > > my
> > > experience over the past 20+ years with both companies.

0
pat6918 (191)
12/21/2009 4:33:01 PM
FWIW, I usede Moneycentral until it went kablooey with the new
version.  So I converted from Moneycentral to Money to Quicken 9.  As
far as I can tell, everything converted just fine.  I don't see
anything missing or any duplicated transactions.

The only thing that bothers me is that Quicken just takes so damn long
to update prices at the end of the business day.  It eventually gets
there, but I guess I don't like waiting.

The interface is a bit klunky.  I keep having to seaqrch for the right
menu to do things, but maybe Q10 worked them out.  Haven't tried it so
I don't know.

James

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 08:33:01 -0800, Pat
<Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> > transactions per DAY on just one of those accounts. And I probably
>> > have at least 30-40 transfers of money between accounts every month
>> > that download as well.
>> >
>> > I guess I will be going to Quicken at some point, probably at the
>> > beginning of the year if the import feature has been fixed... I have
>> > around 40,000 transactions. I may be trying to run both systems for a
>> > while until I am comfortable with Quicken.  So I am really interested
>> > in knowing if Quicken has the same download capabilities as Money and
>> > I'm following these posts to find out.
>> >
>> > If I could prioritize Money for me, then it would be 1 ) Downloads so
>> > I can keep up with all my transactions on a day to day basis 2)Cash
>> > Flow so I can know when to transfer my money around 3) Bill Pay
>> > (actually, that is what keep Cash Flow on tract.)
>> >
>> > Just know that for some people, downloads are a big deal. :)

0
James4888 (3)

Trying to reference a workbook worksheet from a cell content
It is hard to explain what I am trying to do in the subject line: I have two workbooks: One is "Building Methods" The other is "Costs" I have a formulas in the Building Methods workbook that needs to look up a value in the Costs workbook, but the particular sheet it needs to look up the costs from has to be gotten from a cell in the Building Methods worksheet. For instance here is the formula that works: =IF(G14="ax",'[Costs.xls]2278'!$D$14,"") The problem is that I need the "2278" to be picked up form cell G4 rather than be specif...

Trying to purchase Money home and business 2008 from outside the US
When I click on buy this product, it takes me through to a payment screen for US and Puerto Rico residents only - how can I purchase this outside the US??? In microsoft.public.money, Oli Johnson wrote: >When I click on buy this product, it takes me through to a payment >screen for US and Puerto Rico residents only - how can I purchase this >outside the US??? Some have posted success with using a US address. Some have said that the credit card not having a US address was a problem, and others have not had a problem. It's peculiar. I wish there were a better solution. It is n...

Trying to find out if I'm hacked.
I am a new Exchange 2003 admin and I'm trying to find out if my sever has gotten hacked. Here are the symptoms: 1. I am getting odd emails from senders liked Bounced Mail and stuff, saying that I've been sending out massive amounts of spam 2. My server is emailing me alerting me that store.exe is allocating more memory than normal. Here is what I have done this far: 1. Checked my server's queue to see if there are bunch of items, there are none. 2. Run my virus scan program several time and found nothing. So on the surface things seem ok, we are still sending and receivi...

move files and folers option
I had to perform recovery on my computer and after doing so, when I right click on a file or folder the option to move or copy to is gone. I cannot move files or folders from another location. Also cannot transfer from cd or flash drive to computer. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me! On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 13:56:01 -0800, B.J. <BJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I had to perform recovery What does "perform recovery" mean? Exactly how did you do this? > on my computer and after doing so, when I right > click on a file or folder ...

How can I move an investment to a different account?
I have a few accounts in my portfolio; each has a number of investments (no investment appears in more than one account). I want to move an investment (all the buys, sells, dividends etc. for a stock or fund) from one account to another. In 2004 I was able to do this by opening the account online and simply dragging the investment from one account to the other. Now, the only way I find to accomplish the task is to laboriously edit each transaction within the investment. There has to be a simple way to move the entire investment from one account to another. Any thoughts? You want there ...

Money to Quicken Conversion Successes
Please add to this post your successes of conversion from Money to Quicken. Provide as much detail as possible. -- Greg I have had success only because I have run a report in Money Plus of all transactions beginning with 1/1/2009 to date and manually entered them in Quicken 2009 in order to continue downloading data without interruption. My Money+ subscription ends in early August 2009. My plan then is to eventually capture all 20,000+ of the remaining transactions and export them under QIF using various scenarios and utilizing MoneyLink to provide any information I may need in the ...

Keyboard Shortcut for moving between Worksheets
Is there a keyboard shortcut for moving between worksheets (within the same workbook)? I am constantly going between my keyboard and mouse for this functions.... Thanks, Mike Mike, ctrl+ page up and page down -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "mjcoco" <mjcoco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:718956B2-44CD-4578-B95E-91C162D18A99@microsoft.com... > Is there a keyboard shortcut for mov...

can't move workbook down
The top of my workbook (with the title bar)is hidden underneath the top of the "excel" window. I tried using Alt+ space to bring up the move dialogue box, but that only will move the excel window, leaving the title bar of the workbook still unaccessable. Is there any way to move the workbook window w/o the mouse? thanks. what happens if you do windows ?arrange -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "JayD" <scatman@jazzy.org> wrote in message news:1118758939.360335.110880@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > The top of my workbook (with the title b...

Moving Exchange from one server to another #2
I have a Exchange 5.5 server in Domain1 named Company1. A new server with Exchange 2000 on Domain2 needs to get the Pub & Priv .edb files from Cmpany 1. Both domain servers are Win 2K but the company name is different for Domain2 server. I used eseutil and isinteg, but Domain2 won't mount the .edb files because of wrong company naming. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Doug Sanders On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 04:12:51 GMT, "Doug Sanders" <Doug6@earthlink.net> wrote: >I have a Exchange 5.5 server in Domain1 named Company1. A new server with >Exchange 2000 ...

Sheet moves at print time, loos fine at preview
When I preview the spread sheet the vertical relationship between the spreadsheet and the header looks fine, no space, but after I print it there is extra space between the header and the spreadsheet. What causes this? What am doing wrong? Thanks, Erich Check your left margin to see if all the row numbers are sequential. You may have accidentally decreased the row height on row 2 and yo can't see the space in print preview, but it's there when you print. If that's the case, select the whole row, right click and select Ro Height to adjust the height -- DataCollecto ---------...

Getting error message when trying to delete email in Inbox
I get the following error message when I try to delete an email message in the Inbox: "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." I have tried restarting Outlook and rebooting my computer and I still get this message. Email is piling up in my Inbox because I cannot delete it. Any help on how to get around this problem would be much appreciated. ...

Trying to user laptop as SQL Server
I loaded the MSDE (SQL Server7) on my laptop (logged in as a network user). I restart the computer (not connected to the network and no password for windows. Just cancel). My SQL Server Service Manager starts running. I double click the SQL Query Analyzer and choose Windows authentication and local as well as i try the name of the laptop as name of the SQL Server. i click ok and get the following error. UNABLE TO CONNECT TO SERVER KOMAZA:(this is the name of my laptop) Server:Msg 18452, Level 16, State 1 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user '(...

Exc 2k
Hi, I was wondering if the operation below would be reasonnable ": Install a new brand new exchange server restore from another server the Mailbox Store Update through LPAD the AD to reflect the changes Seems to be working on some users in test lab. but in prod ? Thanks, Chris ...

Move Partial Data from One Column to Another
I am looking for a way to take 5000 lines of data in Excel and take th last 6 digits of the data and move it into another column. For Example: Take the last 6 digits and move to next column Data 1 Data 2 435490870985430984 | 430984 234083209842309820 | 309820 432958739287193872 | 193872 542389034098430945 | 430945 With over 5000 lines to move I need an automated process so that i does not need to be done manually, any help or ideas would be greatl appreciated -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Are the numbers of the same length (...

Moving SSIS 2005 packages from test to prod.
Hi, in the near future we will be implementing a test environment for our SSIS packages. We would like to be able to minimize the amount of code changes that take place when doing the move from test to production. Is there any funtionality within SSIS 2005 to search and replace the server name and database for an entire package? Or is there a way to parameterize the server name and database so that we just only change the value of the parameter? -- Thanks! - Jim On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 14:11:16 -0700, jam772 <jam772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, in ...

2007 Uninstall- 2005 won't start, &PPC? Go Quicken? >-( HELP!
Moving money 2005 file to new Vista system- decided good time to try Money 2007, right? So I backup 2005 .mny file on separate system, online and on flash. download 2007 and heed the warning that the file created cannot be opened in an older version (not much of a "trial" eh?). Honestly, can't tell that I'm even using a different program. Not inclined to pay $30 for something I can't even discern as new except for the "2007" in the title bar, I uninstall, and reinstall my 2005 onto the system. Get the old unaltered back up file and restore it. Does...

Help with: A program is trying to access address book
I still can't get this dialog box to stop popping up. Currently Running Incredimail Outlook add-on and Mailfrontier v4.x. Any help would be greatly appreciated. -- **:::::>>:��:*�`����`*:��:<<:::::** .��~ �L�AzZ� W�A��L ~��. **:::::>>:��:*�`����`*:��:<<:::::** {��} WrOnG NuMbEr RoCoCcO, yOu .��~ �L�AzZ� W�A��L ~��. ..��~ �L�AzZ� W�A��L ~��. <nospam@here.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b02c40957db440f9896b4@news.newsgroups.ws>... > I still can't get this dialog box to stop popping up. > Currently Running Incredimail Outlook add-on an...

Move mailbox problem #2
Hi We are moving mailboxes from a 5.5 server to 2003. Most are fine. We have one mb whose contents have been moved but any empty mb with the same name was left on the old server. Over the weekend new mail went to the old mailbox. The user can use both mailboxes by changing their outlook profile. They are happy to lose the 'weekend' mail fomr the old mb. Can I just delete it or should I do something else? Cheers Mike "Mike Varley" <mike@notdisclosed!!.com> wrote: >Hi > >We are moving mailboxes from a 5.5 server to 2003. Most are fine. We have >one mb w...

emails being moved to Badmail
Server is Exchange 2000 SP3. One of our mailboxes is having all of the mail sent to it being delivered to the Badmail directory. What's weird is if you have the mailbox open in Outlook, you can see it hits the inbox, then a few seconds later it disappears. Message tracking shows it hits the Categorizer, then gets thrown to Badmail. With Diagnostics Logging turned on, I see Event ID 350 from the Exchange Store Driver: Function HrGetBinary( ... IMMPID_EMP_ORIGINAL_P1_RECIPIENT_LIST ...) failed with error 800300fd when setting original envelope recipients on messsage . Earlier postings i...

Try this critical update from the MS Corporation
--mynytfne Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="eeiohlompjnh"; type="multipart/alternative" --eeiohlompjnh Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="cmfdyavg" --cmfdyavg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft User this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to help maintain the security o...

how do I set up publisher to do a tri fold booklet?
how do I set up microsoft publisher to do a tri fold booklet (on A4 paper)? Ed looks left. Ed looks right. No-one is there. Furtively, Ed picks up a note from incompetent fletch <incompetent fletch@discussions.microsoft.com>. On it is written: > how do I set up microsoft publisher to do a tri fold booklet (on A4 > paper)? Use a template? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm Hi incompetent fletch (incompetent fletch@discussions.microsoft.com), in the news...

move graphic line
Hi, I have lines places. I want to identify lines by clicking on them. Many onLButtonDown I can scan the array of all the lines and see whose vertex is nearer and get the line.but this may not be correct always. How about mouse sticking in between the two vertexes, suppose I want to move the line. Thanks lee You should see the Drawcli tutorial in MFC sample projects. Vaclav <yang__lee@ausi.com> p�se v diskusn�m pr�spevku news:1145621555.899624.64140@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > I have lines places. I want to identify lines by clicking on them. > Many onLButton...

Moving Office 2007 settings from an XP machine to a Windows 7 ma
Recently built a new machine, and want to move settings (including customizations and outlook rules, mailboxes and accounts) to the new machine. As noted in the title, the old machine is an XP Pro box, the new machine is running Windows 7. I’d rather not move macros and add-ins all at once (something is causing a problem and I’d like to install one at a time), but the Outlook set up and little tweaks (e.g., customization changes, style sets) will be a PITA to redo manually. I found a dizzying array of answers via Google, but none seemed to apply. Wasn’t there a built-in too...

Trying to use autobudget in Money
I can't resolve a problem I am having with MS Money's autobudget function. There is a full year's transaction shown in my checking account records, but all the income and expense categories and subcategories show "no income" or no expense "amount 0.00." No help on this in the Money Help file, on line, or in a book entitled "Microsoft Money 2004." How do I get autobudget to reflect what I can see in the checking account (and in cash flow, bills & deposits, etc.)? Thanks for any help. The only two things I can think of are: 1 - ensure th...