restoring an archived file from a burned cd

I archived a file by burning it to a cd.  Now it says it
can't access the file possible because it is a write
protected file or a read only file.

I have about 4 years of data on that file, and do not
wish for it to be completely lost.

Any suggestions?
0
djvjgray (2)
7/3/2003 5:15:58 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

Did you try copying the file to the hard disk and clearing the read only
flag first? Money cannot open a read only file.

"VJ" <djvjgray@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I archived a file by burning it to a cd.  Now it says it
> can't access the file possible because it is a write
> protected file or a read only file.
>
> I have about 4 years of data on that file, and do not
> wish for it to be completely lost.
>
> Any suggestions?

Export (transfer Text) to a text file.
I have a macro set up to transfer a table to a text file using a format spec. I have set up a table and a query to fill the table with the data that I want to export to a text file. All fields in the table are text fields. The data in one field came from a currency field from a table and was converted as follows: Insert into MyExportTable (chkamount) Select Format(nbrCheckAmount, "0.00") From MySourceTable When I export the table MyExportTable, the text field chkamount data gets truncated as if it were a real numeric field. For example 3.14 and 3.10 and 3.00 are stored l...

Code 17 Dup Record on file FA_Retirement_Mstr
V. 7.00g using the FA module only (not interfacing with GL) Retired 600+ assets. Un-retired to correct proceeds. Re-retired and the first 390 went fine, now every asset we try to re-retire gives us this error. What can we do? Thank you, Robert ...

Outlook 03 refuses to archive
I have a user, who is using Outlook 03 and it refuses to archive. And yes we have checked things such as modified date and all that. This is not the case when it comes to not archiving. We have tried another file, and that does not seem to work either. I am open for any suggestions to what else this could be. Only two things I could think is, a MS problem, possible repair/detect or update? Google indexing, does this play any role in the archiving process? Archiving to a new or old PST? If old PST, check item/size count. Maybe a mismatch where it is unicode mailbox but trying to arch...

filling cells with info from other file (unique id)
I like to know if its possible to get information from an excelfile and put this in another excelfile using a unique id-number. When I fill a cell in A-column with for example 12345, I want excel (or vbamacro?) to look in another file (xls\txt, or?) for 12345 and transfer the rowvalues to the corresponding columns in the worksheet I started with. Can anyone put me in the right direction how to do this? Is it some standard functionallityu of excel or is it something I have to program? Thnx --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You could use a VLOOKUP formula to extract data...

opening files #5
I am currently using publisher 98. Is there a patch and/or update that will allow me to open a publisher file made in a later version of the program. Whenever I try to open one it says cannot open files from another version. I have had no luck finding a patch to correct the problem. Thank you accessuser1308 <accessuser1308@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I have had no luck finding a patch to correct > the problem. That's because there is none. Upgrade to Publisher 2002 or 2003, or have the sender of the file Save As Publisher 98. -- E...

how can i change a linked sound file to become an embedded
i am trying to package up a powerpoint presenatation that contains an audio track - which is an mp4 file. Within the presentation the sound file is currently a linked file. I've tried using the 'package to cd' function but I can still not get the sound to work when i then put the cd into other computers. so how can i embed it instead? i've tried deleting the track, raising the 'sound size limit' to 6000 kb and resinserting it-but that doesnt work. the file is 5.3MB. My plan is to ultimately email the presentation - but it's vital that the s...

Cannot open file from earlier version
Can someone please help me....I created a Publisher file in Publisher 2003 and saved it both as a Publisher 2000 document and Publisher 1998 document so that I could work on it at home. I run Windows XP professional and work and Windows Home Edition at home. When I try to open the publication, Publisher tells me it cannot open from a previous version. I did some research and found out that it could be Norton Antivirus that was blocking so I changed the Norto around according to their suggestion. I shut down and restarted only to still be informed that Publisher cannot open file from a earl...

Load XLB File with worksheet?
I've set-up a customized menu and other options for a worksheet that functions as a form. I was able to save the XLB file with the customizations. How do I start the worksheet with the XLB file from a shortcut? I've tried a string like, P:\TESApps\CI\Estim1.xlb P:\TESApps\CI\estimatesCI1a.xls as the target in the shortcut but was only able to start Excel with the XLB file with no worksheet loaded.Is there a way to do this? THanks for your help ...

Can I attach an Excel file to a post?
My problem can only be properly understood by you actually seeing the worksheets Is there a way to achieve this? The group doesn't like to see attachments, partly because of virus potential, partly because of the download impact. Try and explain it, you might be surprised. If it is not clear, someone might then be prepared to exchange the file with you, off-group. -- --- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "SouthAfricanStan" <me@there> wrote in message news:%23izJHRkWHHA.4720@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > My...

Formatting A .CSV file
Hi All, This is more of a general question, probably not pertaining directly to excel, but worth a try. Any help would be appreciated. If I have a .csv file containing say 200,000 lines of data, which is the best way, or suggessted way to format it (eg add columns, format columns etc) in the same way that an excel macro formats an excel spreadsheet. I know you can import the file into excel and split is into multiple files, but that can be rather time consuming. Cheers, Ange Unless you're using xl2007, you're going to be limited to 64k rows/records/lines of data in that impor...

DPM 2010 Beta1
Is the backup option of encrypted files already implemented? All the backuped folders are empty; in DPM2007SP1 this works fine. Regards! Raffael Raffael, Can you please check if the encrypted files are sparse or reparse or case sensitive? These are unsupported file types. http://blogs.technet.com/askcore/archive/2008/05/29/data-protection-manager-what-is-a-consistency-check-and-what-could-cause-it-to-fail.aspx Thanks, GeethaKrishna [MSFT] ** As is provided without warranties and confers no rights ** "Raffael Kozerski" wrote: > Is the backup option o...

Default File Path in Workbooks.Open(FileName:="Filename")
Using XL 2003 & 97 If I use: Workbooks.Open(FileName:="myFile.xls") The file is not found But if I use: Workbooks.Open(FileName:="C:\Excel Files\myFile.xls") The world is beautiful. Even though this makes sense, I would like to have VBA code that assumes the path to the file: 1) that I wish to open next is, 2) in the same path as my active file. (I know that I could hard code it but I would like smart VBA code which looks for the second file in the same directory as the file that I have active - no matter what the directory path) What is the best way to writ...

Word 2008 created files not fully readable by PC Word (2007 or 2003) users
When I created word files on my mac using Word 2008, pc users that I send the file to are only able to view the first two pages upon opening. I get the same result when trying to open the files on my word 2007 version through my Mac using the Parrallel program to access the windows OS. Is there an update that I am missing to correct this issue? Well, it's impossible to answer your question since you haven't given any indication of what your present update level is � or what version of OS X you're using. What I can tell you is that 12.2.3 is the latest available, so if t...

M04 data file: can I export to Quicken and import it back ?
I may have a corrupt money data file and it seems my backup file has also got corrupted. I can open a new data file and one that was backed- up over 2 years ago but not the one from last weekend. Have tried the recovery steps outlined in microsoft suppport base, tried the salvage tool (quick repair seems to work but not Level 2 standard repair), upgrading to M07, a demo version of the "recovery for money" and also exporting to excel using the UltrasoftLink add-in but with no luck.. It seems the two options left to me are - 1. Can I import into quicken , hope for a miracle and if t...

Outlook 2003 .pst file
I have Outlook 2003 and I need to format my computer and will be reinstalling the same version, however I do not want to lose my current emails, address book etc., There has been a lot of talk about what method to use is the best, import/export just copying and I am not sure which one to use. I asked this question years ago and cannot seem to figure out how to find my posts to get my answer. http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm "sheila4typing" <sheila4typing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9679132A-9B08-4D04-AD21-216BE76D5B...

print file path and location in a footer
I would like to print the file path and default location in a footer on my file but the footer does not have the icon for this command how do i get this icon ? please Your only way is to upgrade to Excel XP (2002) or above. You can also put some code in your personal.xls and run it. The code below puts the full path and fie name into the right footer of the activesheet (Must be saved for the first time our their is no path!) Sub FileNameInFooter() Dim FName As String FName = ActiveWorkbook.FullName ActiveSheet.PageSetup.RightFooter = FName End Sub -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Ex...

how to transfer outlook email files to new user on pc
I am setting up a new user on pc using office professional 2003--what is best way to transfer a large number of emails in my account to the other account user on my pc thanks Rob Copy the .pst file with Outlook closed, and then Open Outlook and Choose Open from the File menu, then Outlook Data File... follow instructions... "rob a" <rob a@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8FD76AB2-9F2B-490B-AC2E-70AA1D486623@microsoft.com... >I am setting up a new user on pc using office professional 2003--what is >best > way to transfer a large number of emails...

How lock accdb file table?
I want to lock accdb file table . so anyone don't viable to link table On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 07:09:01 -0800, yousef <yousef_hp@yahoo.com> wrote: There is no way to lock an individual table. The closest you can get is "Encrypt with Password" on the Database Tools ribbon. This is for the database as a whole. -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I want to lock accdb file table . so anyone don't viable to link table You asked a "how" question ... and told us how you want to do it. If you mean "what", as in "I want to keep folks from ...

How to recover excel file that was closed without saving?
I was working in excel and wrongly I closed the excel file without saving the file. I wish to recover my workdone in excel workbook that was closed without saving. Please let me know the steps I need to follow for retrieving my data. Regards, Sorry but it's gone. You cannot recover it after doing what you have stated. Regards Ken................ ""JKhatavkar"" <"JKhatavkar"@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8FCEA3B3-A7E2-4F46-981C-F22506E7759C@microsoft.com... >I was working in excel and wrongly I closed the ...

Why can I not open an Excel Compound file with Office Excel xp?
I receive Excel files via e-mail from my head office that can't be opened with Office xp. As close as I can tell, these files are called "Compound Excel Files". I can't find any explanation of what a Compound File is and why I wouldn't be able to open it. In addition, when I notified the office, they cut out the pertinent information segment of the file and re-sent it. Surprisingly, I was able to open it. They claim they didn't change the format or program. There's information on compound documents in the following article: Using a Dual File Format i...

How to get the total no. of record in PM Payment Apply To WORK file (in Report Writer)
http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/2600/20100316recordcount.png Could you please advise me, in the Report Writer on how to get the total number of records in the PM Payment Apply To WORK file where this figure is need to be printed onto the report header. If there is any function that can get this figure or do I need to use any other script or SDK to achieve this requirement. Many thanks in advance. Hi, Create your own User Defined Report Writer function in dexterity to fetch the number of records in the table by using countrecords(table table_name) function. Now, crea...

My application shows up as "TODO: <File Description>" in Windows Firewall
Hi, I have a simple dialog based MFC application, which locates a hardware device on the network using UDP broadcast. When this program is run for the first time, Windows Firewall comes up and offers to unblock this program. However, the name of the program shows up as "TODO: <File Description>". I have filled all fields in the version resource. This problem only happens with the "Release" configuration. When I build the application with the "Debug" configuration, Windows Firewall displays the name of my application correctly. Any insights? Timur A...

restore one single file?
I have Vista Home Premium. I have been using Microsoft Backup & Restore for a few weeks. I am backing up to an external hard drive. My two questions are: (1) Can I restore a single file? (2) Or must I restore everything to get that one file? Charles Did a google search and the third item in the list held the answer. Took less than 45 seconds http://support.microsoft.com/kb/152563 "charles cashion" <cmcnuz@dunjas.com> wrote in message news:hi7lkv$hss$1@news.eternal-september.org... > I have Vista Home Premium. > I have been using Microsoft Back...

Restoring icon layout
Occasionally there's an event which causes my desktop icons to be rearranged and resized, such as plugging in a monitor with differnt characteristics. Is there a way to save the icon layout, size and other characteristics so that it can be easily restored when the original monitor is attached, rather than manually dragging each one back? -Bobbi There are many free utilities that will do this. I use IconRestore. http://download.cnet.com/Icon-Restore/3000-2072_4-10163499.html After installing, right-click on any folder on the desktop to save and restore desktop arra...

Cannot stop Open Office from being default program for .doc files