Restore Accounts Memo?

With Money 2006, I have restored my backups and found that this new file does
not have my carefully annotated "Memo" field. Very disappointing.

So is this just the way it is, or can I change a setting to include the memo
field as part of the backup? I have checked the horrible help documentation
with no answers.

Its hard to beleive that MS would include a backup function and not include
this important user input - on the other hand MS does do odd things now and
then :)

Thanks,

Steve

0
fogdrip (3)
4/20/2008 7:00:00 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, fogdrip wrote:

>With Money 2006, I have restored my backups and found that this new file does
>not have my carefully annotated "Memo" field. Very disappointing.

If you are talking about a Register view, Ctrl+T is a toggle between
multi-line and single line mode.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
4/20/2008 7:24:16 PM
Thanks Cal--

But no, the view isn't the issue, the comments under Memo are just not there
:(

Steve

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, fogdrip wrote:
>
> >With Money 2006, I have restored my backups and found that this new file does
> >not have my carefully annotated "Memo" field. Very disappointing.
>
> If you are talking about a Register view, Ctrl+T is a toggle between
> multi-line and single line mode.

0
fogdrip (3)
4/20/2008 8:04:00 PM
This is the first report of such a thing here.

Did you change from Advanced to Essential Register somewhere along the way?

Why were you restoring from a backup in the first place? Was it a "known
good" backup?

Was the backup made with, say, a different version and/or edition that what
you were using to restore it?

"fogdrip" <fogdrip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> With Money 2006, I have restored my backups and found that this new file
> does
> not have my carefully annotated "Memo" field. Very disappointing.
>
> So is this just the way it is, or can I change a setting to include the
> memo
> field as part of the backup? I have checked the horrible help
> documentation
> with no answers.
>
> Its hard to beleive that MS would include a backup function and not
> include
> this important user input - on the other hand MS does do odd things now
> and
> then :)

In microsoft.public.money, fogdrip wrote:

>Thanks Cal--
>
>But no, the view isn't the issue, the comments under Memo are just not there
>:(

I don't remember anybody posting that before.

You might try a quick or level 2 file repair.

Also see if you have the backup file one earlier than the one that
you restored and try that. If you do, don't restore to the default
location, but rather Browse to your Documents and pick a different
name. That way you will not overwrite the most recent file.

While you are thinking of backups, you might increase the number of
backups that are retained.

You could also do a Tools->FindAndReplace to do a text search for
something you should expect to find in a memo. That would show
whether the info is there but not displaying somehow.

Also consider booting into safe mode, and see if you see the memos.
If so, consider getting a different video driver.

>Steve
>
>"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:
>
>> In microsoft.public.money, fogdrip wrote:
>>
>> >With Money 2006, I have restored my backups and found that this new file does
>> >not have my carefully annotated "Memo" field. Very disappointing.
>>
>> If you are talking about a Register view, Ctrl+T is a toggle between
>> multi-line and single line mode.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
4/20/2008 8:58:13 PM

"Dick Watson" wrote:

> This is the first report of such a thing here.
>
> Did you change from Advanced to Essential Register somewhere along the way?
>
> Why were you restoring from a backup in the first place? Was it a "known
> good" backup?

Dick -

Bingo!

I had changed briefly from Advanced to Essential to change a credit limit on
a credit card. That was the backup I must have restored from.

I choose a earlier backup and this one had the memo annotations. Actually,
when I looked at the file size I could have guessed – the size difference
between the full backup and the “Essential” one was substantial!

Anyway, things are back as they should be. Thanks to both Cal and Dick for
their help on this irritating problem – Thanks guys!

Steve

0
fogdrip (3)