Report "Spending by Category" reflects charges but not credits

MS Money 2005

Successfully uploaded two years data.

While enjoying the pie chart graphs, I noticed that "Gifts" (expenditures)
reflected all charges from my credit card (for Gifts) but did not reflect the
return and credit received.

For example:

Gift Expense  CAMERA Purchase   $299.95
Gift Expense  Camera Return    ($299.95)

Net "Gift Expense"                -0-

If I look at the Pie Chart (and underlying details) "Gift Expense" is
$299.95 -but-

If I go through Banking>Categories>Detail Transactions
I see the Charge AND the Credit.  This is correcct!

In short, it appears that the Pie Chart is factory-setup to look at only
charges (debits) to "Gifts"?

Is there a way to correct the chart reporting?

TIA Dennis

0
Dennis (299)
12/10/2004 9:01:01 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

The spending by category report, by default has 'payments' on the type
option of the 'details' tab. This won't include the credits that you want it
to, and you'll need to change this.

--
Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money
http://money.mvps.org

or http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback especially
if it's a UK specific wish.

"Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> MS Money 2005
>
> Successfully uploaded two years data.
>
> While enjoying the pie chart graphs, I noticed that "Gifts" (expenditures)
> reflected all charges from my credit card (for Gifts) but did not reflect
> the
> return and credit received.
>
> For example:
>
> Gift Expense  CAMERA Purchase   $299.95
> Gift Expense  Camera Return    ($299.95)
>
> Net "Gift Expense"                -0-
>
> If I look at the Pie Chart (and underlying details) "Gift Expense" is
> $299.95 -but-
>
> If I go through Banking>Categories>Detail Transactions
> I see the Charge AND the Credit.  This is correcct!
>
> In short, it appears that the Pie Chart is factory-setup to look at only
> charges (debits) to "Gifts"?
>
> Is there a way to correct the chart reporting?
>
> TIA Dennis

0
glyn1 (1534)

Home screen report (Spending by category)
I've got my home page set up just the way I had it (after one of my RAID0 drives crashed, taking my Money file with it :,( ). Anyhow, the Spending by Category report shows expenses put on one of my credit card accounts in addition to my checking account. I only want it to show spending in my checking account. I've tried changing the report settings to not include the credit card account, and if I go to Reports -> Spending by Category, it does not show expenses from the credit card. I've even reinstalled Money. Does the Home Page report show all spending in all accounts ...

Money 2005 : "No Data To Display" shown in Spending by Category Graph
Hello, On the home page there is a section called "Spending by Category". This normally displays a distribution of my expenses accross catagories I've entered into the transactions. But in my case all I get is a display of the dates the graphy is for plus, a message in the graph area saying " No data to display" I have the catagorys filled in on all transactions. I've checked the dates of the transactions to see that all transactions between these dates have catagories filled in. But still no graph Any Ideas Thanks ...

Spending by Category on Home Page
Under the "My Money" home page, I have added the 'Spending by Category' item. However, it always says 'No Data to Display'. I can go into reports, select this report, select accounts/categories/date range, and see a pie chart, so I know the data is there. How do I configure the chart on the home page? tia, Bob M.. ...

Budget vs. Spending By Category
Is it possible to categorize expenses to the subcategory level (Leisure: Books and Magazines), but to run a report showing budgeted amounts vs. expendatures at the category level? While it can be helpful knowing where money is going to a more detailed level, the big picture can be much clearer at the category level. I can stay on track with my budget whether I am reading or watching movies any given month. Is this possible? I haven't found it here? John John Cunningham Silver Spring, MD John@221bBakerSt.org ...

Spending by Category... doesn't show subcategory
Money 2005 Deluxe I'm unable to show the spending by subcategory... the reports roll everything into the parent category... ideas? -- ---------------------------------------- -AC [MVP MCMS] www.andrewconnell.com www.andrewconnell.com/mvp Assuming Advanced Reports, Spending by Category report: Customize|Rows & Columns|By: Subcategories ??? "AC [MVP MCMS]" <swamplander@gmail.com> wrote in message news:uMZ$bU5YFHA.1964@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Money 2005 Deluxe > > I'm unable to show the spending by subcategory... the reports roll > everything ...

filtering spending by category pie chart
Is there a way to filter out a category in the spending by category pie chart? For example, I would like the reimbursed job expenses to not show up on the pie chart, since those expenses do not really indicate my spending habits/distribution. I found my own answer "Ken D" wrote: > Is there a way to filter out a category in the spending by category pie > chart? For example, I would like the reimbursed job expenses to not show up > on the pie chart, since those expenses do not really indicate my spending > habits/distribution. On Mar 6, 12:32 am, Ken D <Ken D...

Spending by Category #2
When I go to spending by category I have see a message that I have 1 transaction that is not assigned a category but when I click on "Assign a category" I get a prompt that says "You have no transactions for the item you selected" The amount is 20.00 I have searched for all transactions for that amount and there are only 4. 3 of them have seperate categories and one is a split category. How can I fix the message??? I've got a couple of transactions with the same problem and have had no luck resolving either of them. I'm also interested in a solution to resol...

Report "Spending by Category" reflects charges but not credits
MS Money 2005 Successfully uploaded two years data. While enjoying the pie chart graphs, I noticed that "Gifts" (expenditures) reflected all charges from my credit card (for Gifts) but did not reflect the return and credit received. For example: Gift Expense CAMERA Purchase $299.95 Gift Expense Camera Return ($299.95) Net "Gift Expense" -0- If I look at the Pie Chart (and underlying details) "Gift Expense" is $299.95 -but- If I go through Banking>Categories>Detail Transactions I see the Charge AND the Credit. This is correcct...

Spending by Category Report
I am using Money 2006 and trying to get a snapshot of my spending over the last 6 months by category. I am using the standard report for this, but for some reason I can't get it to show all my tranfers on the report. I have a lot of $ transferred each month to kids 529 accounts or IRAs and I want to see what my monthly "Grand Total" is including these transfers. I can't find any way to tell money to subtract these from the total in the reports. There is a "Transfer" category on the report, but the only thing it shows is a transfer for the principle paid o...

"Spending by category report"
Hey everyone, I am using Money 2004 Small Business and when I goto "Personal Reports | Income & Expenses | Spending By Category" and I try to "Customize..." the report there is 1 "Asset" account missing from the list! I have a loan account setup and I have the interest set to "Business | Interest Income"... unfortunately this income doesn't show in this list. Even when I pick the "Interest Income" category! It appears the problem is that the account in question is my list of "Accounts". I can't for the life of m...

Money 2005: "Spending by Category" says "No data to display"?
Hi all, On the Home tab under "Spending by Category" I see: 8/30/04 through 9/28/04 No data to display Well, I do have spending during that time frame. I imagine that the "Spending by Category" thingy is looking in the wrong account(s) and needs to be reconfigured. But I can't for the life of me figure out how -- when I right click it there's no "Customize" option or similar. Any ideas on how to fix this? P.S. I'm able to get data if I click the Reports tab and then "Spending by Category". It's only the "Spendi...

Spending By Category: Negative Expense
So I with drew $40 (Payee: Cash, Category:AutoMaint) and then I deposited $30 (done as a negative withdrawal, once again, Payee: Cash, Category:AutoMaint) and in my Spending by Category report only see's the withdraw of $40. I guess this is because it see's the negative expense for what it really is, a deposit. Any way to work around this in this report and show $10 as the net result? In microsoft.public.money, johnmohlengraft@gmail.com wrote: >So I with drew $40 (Payee: Cash, Category:AutoMaint) and then I >deposited $30 (done as a negative withdrawal, once again, Payee: Ca...

Spending by Category and Special Categories
I like the pie chart on the homepage, but I cannot get it to include anything in the "Special" Expense Categories. For instance, when I make a Credit Card Payment, Money records this as a Credit Card Payment: Financial Institution Name and logs it in the Register for that Credit Card and adjusts the balance. However, this payment does not show up on the spending pie chart because the chart does not allow you to pick from the "Special" Expense categories. If I change the spending category to Credit Cards, it shows on the chart, but does not associate with the credit c...

Spending By Category #5
When I am viewing My Money home with my customized layout I have "Spending by Category" open as a pie chart. However, I can't seem to get the pie chart to refresh every month. I don't want to keep track of my spending by categories for the entire year, just from a month-to-month basis. When I go to my reports tab then spending by category tab I can see it as "current month" but it does not show this "current month" in my home summary page. Any ideas to fix this? Thanks! ...

Spending by category #4
I have decided to start using some of the reports in Money 2007 and the first thing I noticed when I went to the spending by category report is that I have a Category for my Credit Card Payment and then the same amounts reported in the Categories for which the Credit Card Payment was made. As an example if I spent only 100 dollars all month, (don't I wish) and I paid for food with that 100 dollars and paid for it with my credit card and entered the transaction in the credit card account as "food". Then when I call up my spending by category report I show that I have spent ...

Spending by Category Report on Home Page
I have Customized my Spending by Category Report to not include Taxes and some other stuff (under the Reports tab). However, I also have the Spending by Category report show up on my Home Page. This report does not include the customizations I made under Reports, so it shows ALL categories. Anyone know how to make the Home Page report be the same as the other one? Thanks! Hi, The report on the home page is not customizeable. I believe this is rather meant to give you a general overview of your spending. Infact if you watch closely at regular intervals the all the homepage charts ...

Spending by Category Report.
I've customized the Spending by Category report to only include certain accounts, certain payees and certain categories. When the report is displayed on the screen, all is well. However, when I export the report to Microsoft Excel I get ALL payees, not the ones I've selected in the customized report. What am I doing wrong? Version? Edition? I export many customized reports to Excel and get what I expect. Not sure I've ever tried Spending By Category before now. But a quick test just now with M+Deluxe did exactly what I expected. "Aviator" <Aviator@discussions...

Spending by category
I'm using Money 2004 Premium. I'm trying to accurately capture how much I'm spending in each category, but am running into problems in a few areas: Scenario 1: Say I borrow 100 dollars from my savings account, and put it in my checking. The following month, I repay the money back into my savings account. This will make it look like I'm contributing more money to my savings account than I really am. It will appear that I contributed an extra 100 dollars to savings that month, when in fact, I borrowed the money from savings and am mearly paying the money back. An...

Transfers appear in Spending by Category?
How do I prevent account to account transfers from appearing in the Spending by Category in Money Plus Premium. I have put the transfers in the Category Credit Card Payments/Transfers, but they still show up on the pie chart. Help? -- Thanks See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=167. Convert them all to real Transfers and then delete, without mercy, the entirely stupid expense category "Credit Card Payments/Transfers". Note that I think you must be using Advanced Register to use real Transfers instead of the stupid expense category. That's a good thing. Essential * is jus...

Spending by Category pie chart
I have just started using Money2005 and have started setting up sub-categories. The Spending By Category pie chart insists on displaying the transactions at the sub-category level, which is completely useless, since I want to see what Categories (or even Category Groups) require the most funds.... Am I expecting something that isn't there? Am I not supposed to detail my spending so finely with sub-categories? Thanks, - Lutz Customize|Rows & Columns|Rows: Categories? "Lutz Kretzschmar [MSFT]" <lutzkr@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:fkqav01fkfsmjt4eh8rg...

Spending by Category
Hello all, I am using Money 2006. On the Home Page there is a chart that displays Spending by Category. This is great and I like it, however I would like it to ignore one of my accounts for it's display purposes. I have two checking accounts setup in Money. One is the checking account discovered online via money to which I have transactions auto download. The other is the checking account I use to enter my transactions manually. I would like the Spending by Category chart to calculate/display only transactions in my manually created checking account. Any idea how, or if, thi...

Spending by Category Report #2
I'm having trouble with the report. I have a category "Auto Expense" with subcategories for insurance, gas, maintenance, etc. On the report, I just want the total for Auto Expense to show up, not each of the subcategories. Under "Customize" and "Categories" tab, when I uncheck the subcategories and leave "Auto Expense" checked, nothing shows up in the pie chart. If I check each of the subcategories, then I get a separate slice in the pie for each of these. I want to see what my total automobile expenses are! Found my own answer. Customiz...

Spending by category #3
I am running Money 06 premium Most of my accounts are set up to update directly from my institutions. I like the convenience, but this forces them to be "Essential Register". One problem is that entries like a transfer show up as spending. Leaving it uncategorize doesn't help. These entries easily dwarf other real spending. Is there any way to exempt entries from spending? I wish I could have the convenience of "updating" with the flexibility of "Advanced Register." Is there any way to do this? In microsoft.public.money, rbike_monkey wrote: >I am r...

Money 2006 Small Business, Spending by Category Report
When I try to view the Spending by Category Report, there is no data shown. I am viewing for all dates. Every transaction in my check register has an assigned category. Why aren't they showing up in this report? It just says "No data to display". Thank you. ...

Innacurrate Spending by Category Report
For some reason, my spending by category report is not including many transactions . I checked and that Category (Food: Dining Out) is selected for the report, and the account with many of the transactions is also selected. Can anybody help? Try resetting the customization. Perhaps there's a text selection or a date range or something on one of the other tabs besides account and category. "Jeremy" <Jeremy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA4BE251-080E-41CA-A937-913343D6A487@microsoft.com... > For some reason, my spending by category report is not i...