Replace Money 07 DLX with MS Access

I have been toying with the possibility of replacing my Money 2007 DLX
with something home-made and kept in MS Access 03 or 07.  Quicken
would likely be my backup at this time.

I'm very competent with Access and VBA and willing to forego many of
the automated features that Money or Quicken would offer or bring them
online in a piecemeal fashion.  I'm most concerned with setting up a
system that maintains my15+ years of data so that it won't become
corrupted.  Access is one format that is likely to be around, that is
open and stable.  I was intrigued with XML which is MD's method.
However, I'm not convinced it is scalable.  I wouldn't be opposed to
Excel, but I haven't figured out a good way to handle split
transactions in Excel without adding a bunch of links which quickly
bloats the excel file.

I have searched the web, this group and other sources for people who
have tried to make a personal financial app from Access, albeit,
crudely.  I recall Dick Watson mentioning this in some of June 2009
posts and would be interesting in more.

Anyone have comments of completed work that they would like to share?
Again, I want to do this all in a self-contained mdb file so I don't
have bother with building executable code.
0
Joe
1/9/2010 4:38:04 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

Indeed, I've dabbled around with this at some length. I have two different
approaches to schema for the
transactions/accounts/payees/categories/classification. I've only dabbled
with Bills on the edges of the problem and thinking about it. The BIG area
that is largely untouched is any UI for day-to-day use. Basically my present
state is that I can import and "normalize" data extracted from Money via
customized reports. (Transactions in multiple currencies, Investments, and
Loan Transactions.) I can query an account register with running balance.

Daunting issues aside from just huge amount of development for a real usable
UI:

1) there is a LOT of data in Money that there is no way I've yet identified
to extract. (Account/category/payee/classification details, paycheck tab
information, and on and on.) The ways I've considered include coercing the
..MNY file to be readable with JET (apparently do-able but it looks pretty
ugly internally and has some stuff encrypted and so on) and using the
undocumented .DLL interfaces to let Money do the hard work here. I've
approached Microsoft from several different angles trying to get some tiny
amount of assistance here and they were, at its most polite, completely
unhelpful. (Though they helped Intuit do just that they claim helping open
that interface would somehow violate regulatory requirements or agreements
with FIs or some such. I think the bottom line is they just don't care about
all the data we have cranked into the thing over the years that is write
only in the present design and tool set.)

2) I've never figured out a good/simple way to produce Cash Flow Forecast
without writing a lot of code and this is the number one capability I'd have
to replace. There's probably a way, but it's a technology I don't possess.

3) I really like my v. 2 schema attempt a lot better than my v. 1 but am at
some sticky issues I haven't figured out how to solve. My v.1 is very much
like Money looks on the surface: Accounts and Categories are different
tables and transactions needn't balance. My v. 2 has some GNUcash inspired
ideas: Accounts and Categories are the same thing. Every transaction must
balance by itself. My issue--and I just haven't gotten back to it--is that
this seems hard to do for some types of investment transactions (Return of
Capital, for one.)

We can discuss more or, maybe better, outside the NG via email.

"Joe" <mizjd1991@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Anyone have comments of completed work that they would like to share?
> Again, I want to do this all in a self-contained mdb file so I don't
> have bother with building executable code.

0
Dick
1/9/2010 9:15:51 PM
One other comment: if you are willing to forego the bells/whistles, Money
won't stop working and all that will is downloaded transaction data and
quotes. This is a prime reason why I haven't put more effort into it.

0
Dick
1/9/2010 9:18:32 PM
On Jan 9, 1:18=A0pm, "Dick Watson" <littlegreenge...@mind-enufalready-
spring.com> wrote:
> One other comment: if you are willing to forego the bells/whistles, Money
> won't stop working and all that will is downloaded transaction data and
> quotes. This is a prime reason why I haven't put more effort into it.

Has anyone figured out a way to replace the market quote data?  I
think that's the biggest sticking point with using the product past
2010. Most banks I assume will continue to provide user-initiated OFX
downloads of transaction data; as long as I can minimize the amount of
typing, I don't mind having to go to a website and downloading a file
every month or so.
0
Frank
1/11/2010 8:46:57 PM
Read other posts from last 24 hours.

"Frank" <lawlerfa@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jan 9, 1:18 pm, "Dick Watson" <littlegreenge...@mind-enufalready-
> spring.com> wrote:
>> One other comment: if you are willing to forego the bells/whistles, Money
>> won't stop working and all that will is downloaded transaction data and
>> quotes. This is a prime reason why I haven't put more effort into it.
>
> Has anyone figured out a way to replace the market quote data?  I
> think that's the biggest sticking point with using the product past
> 2010. Most banks I assume will continue to provide user-initiated OFX
> downloads of transaction data; as long as I can minimize the amount of
> typing, I don't mind having to go to a website and downloading a file
> every month or so.

0
Dick

Money Plus Deluxe
My Money Plus Deluxe stopped working so I uninstalled the program and put in my disk and the following message comes up. "Setup was unable to install some of the components needed to run Money" When you go into control panel / add and remove programs Money shows it installed but it won't go any further. Does any one know what happend and how to fix? In microsoft.public.money, Thomas M <Thomas M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >My Money Plus Deluxe stopped working so I uninstalled the program and put in >my disk and the following message comes up...

Upgrading from Money 2002 #2
I have the original money 2002 that came with the computer and have never upgraded. Which is the best version to go to? More importantly, when I purchase and download the upgrade, will it go over the current program and update all the information that I currently have? Thanks and Happy New Year -- mfletcher The latest version in the US is Money+ aka Money 2008. Other geographies have different versions. Money keeps all your data in the .mny file not the program. When you install the new version it usually remembers where your .mny file was, makes a copy of it (for safety) and then up...

Cannot access by OWA
Hi there, we�ve two ex2k servers. First in domain 1 with internet connection. Second in subdomain, connected by a dedicated line. Both servers are in same org and site. When I try to access the second server by owa I can�t access the mailboxes there. That�s only possible on the first server (SSL security is enabled). Do I�ve missed to configure something? Thanks for any advice. JK Sorry, found it myself. Just have to configure the server as a frontendserver! "J. Kuenzel" <kuenzelj@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:OT3swrqLEHA.3696@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi the...

Access attachments don't work anymore
Outlook 2000's security update makes it impossible to receive MS Access .mdb or .mde files. But I need to do this to earn a living as an Access developer! Other than have the sender rename the file there must be a simpler way to override the security patch. Outlook Express let's you turn off this feature but OL 2000 has no such setting. (The feature is basically worthless anyway - any hacker would know you just rename the file, put your hacker code in it and send it. Access will open ANY file, regardless of what you name it!!) See if the information on the following page help...

frustrations with Access 2006
is anyone else frustrated with the number of time, when editing a project..., Access 2006 crashes, leaving behind a corrupt, un-repairable file (or somtimes just a corrupt form, never-the-less: frustrating)? short of going back to an earlier version of the program, does any one have ANY suggestions? thanks in advance... mark "Mark Kubicki" <mark.kubicki@verizon.net> wrote in message news:u7Pv4lHDIHA.4880@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > is anyone else frustrated with the number of time, when editing a > project..., Access 2007 crashes, leaving behind a corrupt, un-re...

Access, average several fields in one row
I have several rows of data in a field, I need to average all the entries in one row I have 12 fields for 12 months of data, I need the average of the sum of all non blank entries. For example 3 months completed, the solution in Excel is (field1+field2+field3)/3 I am looking for method to average the sum in Access One way if you can't change your data is to use a VBA function. I've posted one below. You would call it in a calculated field in a query. Assuming your field names are the abbreviated month names the expression might look like the following. Field: fRow...

Access 2007 Reports
I'm using an Access 2000 mdb (split ends) in Access 2007. I cannot up- convert because other terminals don't have Office 2007. It works as a database just fine except: When I try to change a (front end) report from the default printer to another specific printer in design view, page setup, it all LOOKS good except it does not save my changes upon return and goes back to the default printer. I never had this problem with earlier versions of Access and the specific printer in questions works fine with other apps and terminals. Any ideas people? Many thanks. JM This is a known prob...

Is store procedure always fast than Access linked table via ODBC?
I was assigned to upgrade one program from Access(using ODBC to connect to SQL 2000) to ASP.NET(using store procedure in SQL 2000). Finally, I tested them and found that ASP.NET is slower than Access. The mojority job of program is select some data from SQL 2000 tables, modify and then insert into some tables. Is store procedure always fast than Access linked table via ODBC? -- Message posted via http://www.sqlmonster.com Stored procedures don’t add any overhead and they can save compile time. It's the code in the stored procedure and the underlying tables / indexes that ...

IE8 can't access Microsoft Office site when all other browsers can
When trying to access the Microsoft Office page using IE8 I keep getting the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message. If I use any other browser (Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome) I have no problem accessing the page. This happens whether running in normal or No Add-on's mode. Despite how many people keep complaining about all the problems with IE8, neither the MVP's or Microsoft acknowledge that they exist. Asus P5E Intel E8400 Core2Duo 3.0GHz 4 GB PC2-6400 DDR2 Windows 7 Ultimate (with all the latest updates installed) NIS 2010 (all up to date)...

Unable to open Access 95 mdb in Access 97
Hi I am trying to open an old Access 95 mdb in Access 97...I didn't create it but someone who knew the database way back when said that a system.mda file was created for that particular database because it had a lot of personal info in it. (I am not familiar with mda files...the database folder also had a system.ldb file there as well...I deleted that file...but am unsure why it wasn't closed out to begin with) I was able to open Access 97 and repair it...but when I go to open it in Access 97...I get an Automation Error...Cannot find VEENLR3.hlp file. Do you think it may ha...

Office 07 locking up in Win7
I have just purchased two new HP computers with Windows 7 on them. I am running office suite pro 07. Office keeps locking up after. Sometimes task mgr will restart the program, sometimes I have to power off. Either way, work is lost! I have done system restore twice but have seen no improvements. Office worked fine the first two days then 34+ updates and now it doesn't. It also locks up if monitor goes to sleep and will not recover without a power down. -- Chris & Sam "Chris&Sam" <ChrisSam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:30...

test103 10-09-07
test This is the body of the article On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 21:57:49 -0700, mark.com wrote: >test This is the body of the article Please use microsoft.public.test.here for testing. If you're testing software to spam data to multiple newsgroups, please turn off your computer, carry it out to the dumpster, and throw it in. John W. Vinson [MVP] *And jump in after while you're at it* Pieter "John W. Vinson" <jvinson@STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote in message news:f0lng3h2i6ij3i7e6qu2rjtgk8j90pi5de@4ax.com... > On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 21:57:49 -0700, m...

Backup error Access Denied
I have been recieving the following error message for a while and can't figure out how to fix it. It is only happening on one mailbox. "Backup - \\MBMAIL\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes Access denied to file Jhon Doe [jdoe]Top of Information StoreSync IssuesServer FailuresMail Delivery (failure jdoe@xyz.com)." Help Please Can you access the mailbox from a mail client? If so, you can use mdbvu to look at the Top of the Information store folder, and delete the message in there. If you cannot access the mailbox, then I have seen it where some users think they are ...

Outlook Today
On the Outlook Today page the "Options" button does nothing. We're still runnning Win 98 SE2 with no immediate hopes of upgrading. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. david <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > On the Outlook Today page the "Options" button does > nothing. We're still runnning Win 98 SE2 with no immediate > hopes of upgrading. Any help would be appreciated. Thank > you. This question has been asked and answered 100,000 times (literally). SEARCH for the answer. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson ...

EmigrantDirect, wrong web address for online services (Money 2003)
Version: Money 2003 (I know, I know, I'll upgrade if I can ever get it to work correctly...) I used to be able to receive transactions from EmigrantDirect. However, as of last year, they changed their web address. The web address stored by Money is (https://cib-maintpg.ibanking-services.com/special/b321_maint.htm), which is no longer valid. Is there a way I can manually change the address, or guide Money to the right address? I have tried to go in through the browser in Money to download statements directly, but I can't seem to update the address so that automatic downloads...

Problem with 07 Office Pdf/Xps Add-in
Hello Despite having installed the 2007 Office SaveAs Pdf/Xps add-in, I have seen Mary Sauer's posting on this somewhere asking if it in the Add-in of the Office programmes. I do not see it any of the programmes even though I have reinstalled twice with genuine validation. Anything else I can do? Thks. Menk It's like a printer...you print to it. -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression "Menikos" <menikos88@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u2EEuVswIHA.4564@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hello > > Despite having installed the 200...

Access Outlook Add-in for Data Collection & Publishing won't load
I am trying to utilize the Collect Data via e-mail function and keep receiving the following error: "The Microsoft Office Access Outlook Add-in is disabled in Microsoft Office Outlook 2007. To collect data by using e-mail messages in Microsoft Access 2007, verify that this add-in is installed and enabled from within Office Outlook 2007." I have tried to remediate via the Trust Center/Add-in area in Outlook and don't see an add-in for Access (even though the error message says it is "disabled" it is nowhere to be found). I have tried to add it (I believe it is...

ok 09-30-07
dale jr where are you right ...

Money fails to match similar transactions, bug?
Money fails to automatically match, netiher does it want to allow me to manually match, similar looking transactions. I have a yearly bill from my service provider for 3 domains. I have 3 recurring transactions in bills and deposits that have exactly the same information, except the memo field is different, each for a domain. I downloaded 3 transactions, each supposed to match one of the 3 entries in bills and deposits. Money matches one transaction, but does not allow me to match the other two. It seems there is a logic bug that prevents money from matching more than one similar looki...

MS RMS vs RetailPro ?
Hi, does anyone know what are the major distinctions between RetailPro and RMS? Someone told me recently that RetailPro is much better and easier to customize. I have never seen it but I do find RMS to be a little difficult to customize and navigate around. We are looking to expand into few more retail operations and would like to make a decision on whether to continue with RMS or switch to something that we can fine-tune more to our operations. Thanks. Zorian, Can't tell you about the product, although the QuickBooks POS is a cut down version of it. I would _seriously_ check ...

MS Money does not go online
Hello, For some reason, when I start Money 2005, it does not go online. I do have the Work offline box cleared. It has worked fine for a long time - just stopped for no apparent reason about a week ago. I have not changed firewall configuration. ...

RE: How to access Hotmail in Outlook 2000?
Microsoft Knowledge Article 234704 "You cannot view Hotmail messages in Outlook 2000" http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q234704 SYMPTOMS Microsoft Outlook, unlike Microsoft Outlook Express, does not have an option to use Microsoft Hotmail e-mail accounts. The "Resolution" section provides a work around to access a Hotmail account. CAUSE Outlook does not support the integration of Hotmail e-mail accounts. RESOLUTION You can view your Hotmail e-mail in Outlook by creating a Hotmail folder and then associating a Web view of that folder that points t...

Can't use my MS Office
I have recently purchased the above software package. I have not registered my product, as I have been travelling and it has=20 been less than 3 weeks since purchasing and installing. I am not sure=20 if all of the office programs have been working, as the only ones I have = been using these past 3 weeks are Entourage and MSN Messenger. =20 This morning, I tried to use Word and it froze just after opening the=20 new document and I was only able to enter one letter. Then I tried=20 excel and it froze at the first cell inside the new book. Then I tried = to=20 re-open my previously working E...

our own exchange replacement
Hi, We want to do a development project where we replace part of EXCHANGE. That is, when outlook calendar tries to talk to EXCHANGE, we want it to talk to our software instead. Where would I look for either software libraries or protocol definitions that show what stubs, entries, ports etc. we need to provide. Thanks for any pointers. /Eric EricOsman@rcn.com ...