Recording a merger where new shares are issued?

I was holding 185 shares of TCPL.   TCPL merged with NOVA.     After the
merger I was awarded 37 new shares of NOVA (based on a 1 for 5
consolidation).  I continued to hold the 185 shares of TCPL but, after the
merger unit value of each share was, of course, lower.

The company issued a statement deeming the "Adjusted Cost Base"'  of the
newly issued NOVA shares  @27.85 each.

How should I represent this transaction in Money 2006?

0
911DAVE (18)
5/5/2007 9:06:02 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, 911DAVE wrote:

>I was holding 185 shares of TCPL.   TCPL merged with NOVA.     After the
>merger I was awarded 37 new shares of NOVA (based on a 1 for 5
>consolidation).  I continued to hold the 185 shares of TCPL but, after the
>merger unit value of each share was, of course, lower.
>
>The company issued a statement deeming the "Adjusted Cost Base"'  of the
>newly issued NOVA shares  @27.85 each.
>
>How should I represent this transaction in Money 2006?

Keep an extra copy/backup of your file in case you want to undo
something.

You could try a Spin-off, which is what you are describing. A bug
might make this not work.

From an account register,
MoreInvestingTasks->RecordASpecialActivity->RecordASpin-off

Answer the questions. If it crashes Money, you will want to do
something else. You should still be able to open Money if it
crashes, but just not have the spinoff implemented. If it does not
crash, that would be nice.

Spin-off works better in Money 2007, but that has its own bug if you
used Buy transactions (which would be the normal case vs AddShares).
That bug has a workaround tho. The Money 2007 workaround is to make
a compensating transaction in the cash transactions register.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
5/5/2007 9:37:50 PM
This solution looks promissing, Sir, but when I am in the account register
the only options I have under "More Investing Tasks" are
   - transfer and account
   - record a split
Do I need to tweak another setting somewhere?

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, 911DAVE wrote:
>
> >I was holding 185 shares of TCPL.   TCPL merged with NOVA.     After the
> >merger I was awarded 37 new shares of NOVA (based on a 1 for 5
> >consolidation).  I continued to hold the 185 shares of TCPL but, after the
> >merger unit value of each share was, of course, lower.
> >
> >The company issued a statement deeming the "Adjusted Cost Base"'  of the
> >newly issued NOVA shares  @27.85 each.
> >
> >How should I represent this transaction in Money 2006?
> >

> Keep an extra copy/backup of your file in case you want to undo
> something.
>
> You could try a Spin-off, which is what you are describing. A bug
> might make this not work.
>
> From an account register,
> MoreInvestingTasks->RecordASpecialActivity->RecordASpin-off
>
> Answer the questions. If it crashes Money, you will want to do
> something else. You should still be able to open Money if it
> crashes, but just not have the spinoff implemented. If it does not
> crash, that would be nice.
>
> Spin-off works better in Money 2007, but that has its own bug if you
> used Buy transactions (which would be the normal case vs AddShares).
> That bug has a workaround tho. The Money 2007 workaround is to make
> a compensating transaction in the cash transactions register.

0
911DAVE (18)
5/5/2007 10:13:01 PM
In microsoft.public.money, 911DAVE wrote:

>This solution looks promissing, Sir, but when I am in the account register
>the only options I have under "More Investing Tasks" are
>   - transfer and account
>   - record a split
>Do I need to tweak another setting somewhere?

Perhaps you are using Standard vs Deluxe or Premium.

If you are in the US, you might consider Money 2007 Deluxe. You can
get a fairly inexpensive retail disk at Sams, Walmart, Costco and
probably more places without rebate.

>"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:
>
>> In microsoft.public.money, 911DAVE wrote:
>>
>> >I was holding 185 shares of TCPL.   TCPL merged with NOVA.     After the
>> >merger I was awarded 37 new shares of NOVA (based on a 1 for 5
>> >consolidation).  I continued to hold the 185 shares of TCPL but, after the
>> >merger unit value of each share was, of course, lower.
>> >
>> >The company issued a statement deeming the "Adjusted Cost Base"'  of the
>> >newly issued NOVA shares  @27.85 each.
>> >
>> >How should I represent this transaction in Money 2006?
>> >

>> Keep an extra copy/backup of your file in case you want to undo
>> something.
>>
>> You could try a Spin-off, which is what you are describing. A bug
>> might make this not work.
>>
>> From an account register,
>> MoreInvestingTasks->RecordASpecialActivity->RecordASpin-off
>>
>> Answer the questions. If it crashes Money, you will want to do
>> something else. You should still be able to open Money if it
>> crashes, but just not have the spinoff implemented. If it does not
>> crash, that would be nice.
>>
>> Spin-off works better in Money 2007, but that has its own bug if you
>> used Buy transactions (which would be the normal case vs AddShares).
>> That bug has a workaround tho. The Money 2007 workaround is to make
>> a compensating transaction in the cash transactions register.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
5/5/2007 10:30:33 PM
Thank you, Cal.  Actually I am in Canada but I'll check out those Big Box
stores for any deals of the sort you mentioned.

I did find a workaround on the Microsoft site and it involved using the
Return of Capital transaction.   Curiously it did not affect the % annual
compound return.  If you cosider the spin-off as a dividend it does affect
the %annual return.

Any thoughts on this apparent anomaly?

"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:

> In microsoft.public.money, 911DAVE wrote:
>
> >This solution looks promissing, Sir, but when I am in the account register
> >the only options I have under "More Investing Tasks" are
> >   - transfer and account
> >   - record a split
> >Do I need to tweak another setting somewhere?
>
> Perhaps you are using Standard vs Deluxe or Premium.
>
> If you are in the US, you might consider Money 2007 Deluxe. You can
> get a fairly inexpensive retail disk at Sams, Walmart, Costco and
> probably more places without rebate.

> >> Keep an extra copy/backup of your file in case you want to undo
> >> something.
> >>
> >> You could try a Spin-off, which is what you are describing. A bug
> >> might make this not work.
> >>
> >> From an account register,
> >> MoreInvestingTasks->RecordASpecialActivity->RecordASpin-off
> >>
> >> Answer the questions. If it crashes Money, you will want to do
> >> something else. You should still be able to open Money if it
> >> crashes, but just not have the spinoff implemented. If it does not
> >> crash, that would be nice.
> >>
> >> Spin-off works better in Money 2007, but that has its own bug if you
> >> used Buy transactions (which would be the normal case vs AddShares).
> >> That bug has a workaround tho. The Money 2007 workaround is to make
> >> a compensating transaction in the cash transactions register.

0
911DAVE (18)
5/23/2007 9:19:00 PM
In microsoft.public.money, 911DAVE wrote:

>Thank you, Cal.  Actually I am in Canada but I'll check out those Big Box
>stores for any deals of the sort you mentioned.
>
>I did find a workaround on the Microsoft site and it involved using the
>Return of Capital transaction.   Curiously it did not affect the % annual
>compound return.  If you cosider the spin-off as a dividend it does affect
>the %annual return.
>
>Any thoughts on this apparent anomaly?

As anomalies go, it is middling.

>"Cal Learner-- MVP" wrote:
>
>> In microsoft.public.money, 911DAVE wrote:
>>
>> >This solution looks promissing, Sir, but when I am in the account register
>> >the only options I have under "More Investing Tasks" are
>> >   - transfer and account
>> >   - record a split
>> >Do I need to tweak another setting somewhere?
>>
>> Perhaps you are using Standard vs Deluxe or Premium.
>>
>> If you are in the US, you might consider Money 2007 Deluxe. You can
>> get a fairly inexpensive retail disk at Sams, Walmart, Costco and
>> probably more places without rebate.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)

Office XP Exel
Scenario: User's A,B, C, and D all have access to an excel XLS on a 2003 server. Users A & B have modify rights, users C&D only have read rights. If user A updates the file, the general tab in properties reflect the exact time the file was modified. After user A saves and closes the file, user D goes in. The changes are there, but in the properties general tab, the modify date in an old date (probably the actual creation date). Is this normal ? Any idea's ? ...

File share cannot be reached on Windows 2008 SBS via VPN
I have a problem with VPN connection to one server (Windows 2008 SBS). I can ping the server through VPN but I cannot reach file share from the server and RDP also not working. BUT I can see other shares and RDP on an other computers in the same LAN (single subnet). That specific server is connected with only one network adapter to the network. This server is the DC, DHCP, DNS, VPN, Exchange with the IP address: 192.168.17.2. The default GW is the router (to internet) : 192.168.17.1. Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 VPN is using the local DHCP. The firewall is switched off. What can...

Sql to find record in a hierarchical chain
Hi, lets say I have a table with 2 fields: myTable Field 1 - ref Field 2 - parentRef Now in the structure there could be numerous chains until you get to the top of the hieratchy (where the ref field = parentRef field). ie ref parentRef 111 222 222 333 333 444 444 444 so in this 444 is top of the chain (there will be many other records as well that are nothing to with 444 and are part of their own hierarchy). So how do I easily relate 111 to 444. Ie how do i find the ultimate top parent for a given 'ref' field. Hope anyone can give me some pointers ...

Excel template issues
I have a user that has a excel template on his network home dir NW 5.1 Server he says that after he creates a new file from that template - he goes to open and it tells him read only access running Excel 2000 thanks ...

New message opens up behind outlook window
Everytime I click new in my inbox to open a new message, the new message pops up behind the main oulook window. does anyone know how to make this stop? ...

New to Mail Merge
So I am checking to see if I can merge a list of names(roughly 450) into a template in Publisher that will be used a name plate of sorts. I also want to include years of services in the template, i.e. John Smith 12 years of service. Is this possible and what is the easiest route? Yes it is very possible in Publisher. There is a lot of help here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH100502901033.aspx If you decide to use Publisher there is a registry fix that will be beneficial. http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/registryfix -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvp...

How to share same email a/c on 2 pc
I have linked 2 pc via Windows Small Office network. How to let these 2 pc share the same email a/c in Microsoft Outlook. Plse provide solution in detailed steps as I am a novice. Operating syste=xp outlook version 2003 Thanks "Christine" <centrol@singnet.com.sg> wrote in message news:hop8fj$7la$1@reader01.singnet.com.sg... > I have linked 2 pc via Windows Small Office network. > > How to let these 2 pc share the same email a/c in Microsoft Outlook. > > Plse provide solution in detailed steps as I am a novice. > > Operating sys...

O2003 New Toolbars Saved Where?
I have XP with O2003 on one computer. Just got a new computer with W7 and installed O2003. I copied over the "outcmd.dat" file and I can see my data (e.g. views) so I know its using the correct "outcmd.dat" file. However two custom toolbars I created are not shown nor are they in the customized toolbar list. Are custom toolbars saved in a different location? Thanks Shawn On Jul 24, 6:22=A0pm, srm <s...@primatech.com> wrote: > I have XP with O2003 on one computer. Just got a new computer with W7 > and installed O2003. I copied over the "outcmd.dat" ...

Public folder issue, "messaging interface has returned an unknown error"
I'm running a SBS2003 domain and just added a public folder and a customized form for entry into the public folder. All of our clients (all XP Pro, Outlook 2003 with all updates) can get to that folder and use the form without any difficulty except for one. On one computer I get the classic "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." error message. I have tried a repair install, no change. I have tried making a new profile, no change. I have tried adding / removing his PST file (currently he's not even using a pst file...

Setting Outlook settings to new server
We are in the process of moving mailboxes to a new server. Is there a utility or ad policy to automatically configure outlook to point to the new exchange server? Instead of manually configuring the users outlook profile. On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:15:01 -0800, Rich <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We are in the process of moving mailboxes to a new server. Is there a utility >or ad policy to automatically configure outlook to point to the new exchange >server? Instead of manually configuring the users outlook profile. If you are moving the mailboxes in the same org vi...

How to add new entity?
Hi. I'm now researching the customization abilities of MS CRM 1.2. So I have a small task, which I'm not able to accomplish with SDK. The main question is how to add additional entity to CRM? I need to add entity "Pets", and dictionary "PetTypes". Pets should be linked with Contacts (1:M). Pets should have 3 attributes: - Name (string of 150 chars), - Type (value from PetTypes dictionary), - Description (string of 1000 chars) PetTypes should have 3 entries: "Cat", "Dog" and "Parrot" I expect that i...

Error creating new task
Error .. "Could not complete operation. One or more parameter values are not vaild" ...

A first look at the new Office Snapin for MSCRM
http://blogs.msdn.com/jstraumann -- John [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of any included script or code samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm. ...

Middle mouse button does not always open in new tab anymore
Hi! I am experiencing the problem that when I click with the middle mouse button on a link (for example google search results) it does not always open it in a new tab anymore. In about 20% of the cases it takes over the current tab instead. The same problem is explained here in german: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.de.internetexplorer&tid=cd463718-8df6-4ee4-9e8a-9ee527837f83&cat=&lang=de&cr=DE&sloc=&p=1 But since there was no answer found so far I decided to take it to the next level (english c...

Terminal Servers in Cluster - Login/Profile Issues
Hello Gurus, Currently I am having an issue with logins and profiles as per details below. Server/Network Configuration Details: 1 X Windows Server 2008 Std FE 64bit (DC) 2 X Windows Server 2008 Ent 32bit Terminal Servers User Profiles are Roaming and exist in: \\SBSERVER\Profiles on the Domain Controller and C:\Users\ on the Terminal Servers. Approx 50 users. Problem Description Error messages when logging in the terminal servers: Your roaming profile is not synchronized correctly with the server. Windows will load your previously-saved local profile instead. See the pre...

New Static IP
SBS2003R2 We'll be moving our office this coming weekend. We will be getting a new static IP from our ISP (I tried to get them to let us keep our existing one but they said that would take "an act of God"). Our mail is delivered to our server after being filtered for spam by McAfee. Our server is configured to only allow mail from McAfee's range of IP address and an internal IP for a "scan to email" device. In an effort to make this move as smooth as possible I'll be calling McAfee in advance of this move and setting up a "ticket number"...

Issue with Loan Accounts
Hi Everyone, I have been having this issue for a while - but just now trying to figure out what's happening. I have several loans (including car, equity, etc.) which I have set up on Money 7. Sometimes the interest and principle are calculated correctly - but more often, the entire sum of the payment is allocated to principle (as viewed in the account register). I've check to insure that the loan is set up okay - and it looks okay to me. Any ideas what's happening to me? Any help appreciated. Thanks. Patrick Hi, I was really hoping someone would respond to this. My ...

How to copy aQuery to a new Table?
I have a database in a Table, a report based on that same Table and a Query based on that Report. After two months or so I like, after some new data input, to save the Table into a new Object Table. What is the best way for the Report and Query to follow the new Table whitout recreating the original Report & Query? Thankyou for your comments. I use MS Office Access 2007. Joe T >>I have a database in a Table, a report based on that same Table and a Query based on that Report. Your phrasing is wrong when it comes to the elements of an Access database. A dat...

"could not fetch new headers " ERROR
i get the error " could not fetch new headers in the inbox of IMA server.The operation was cancelled ", while using my outlook 2000 o win98se mach. config: smtp/imap thro internet mail a/c option pl try to provide solutions to it. the error message pops up say every 5 min whenever outlook is on. thnks n regards gir ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com aggiridharan <aggiridharan.149yy0@outlookforum.com> wrote: > i get the error " coul...

exchange 5.5 will not keep new server name.
We have exchange 5.5 in enviroment where windows server 2003 is setup along with active directory and active direcitory intergrated zone which is replicated to other servers. Problem: I enter the Exchange Server Name followed by the mailbox name then I select the button [CHECK NAME] In the exchange server name field after entering the new exchange server name the old exchange server name is displayed instead. This only happens in office 2003 professional and not in office 2000 professional "old exchange server name" How did you go about changing the name of the server...

Multiple Language Issues
Hi all, Has anyone successfully manually updated a non-English supported 5.5 to 2003? (The reason for the manual update was a broken admin account.) Mail and contacts were all exported to PST files, and then imported to 2003. However, although the text of the messages is fine (English and Russian), the text for contact names and message subjects gets gorched if they contained any Russian text. Does anyone know the correct sequence to follow to take messages and contacts in Russian (or other languages) from 5.5 to 2003, while retaining the non-English subject lines and contact names? ...

Excel for Customer History Records
Hello, can anyone direct me to an existing template that can be used to track customer enquiries and feedback. It needs an efficient way of recording follow up & response conversations. In a standard workbook layout if you type loads of text into a column (say 'follow up' for instance), it pushes all the rows so far down the spreadsheet it quickly becomes unwieldy. If anyone can help I could e mail an example of what we're using now (awful) and after having a chuckle at our expense maybe you can suggest something more appropriate. We're running 2003. Many thanks --...