Quicken R 5 update : Money converter handles long transaction memo's (no truncation) better

Dick .. I posted this in an older thread and I am not sure you will ever
see it.  In the post you indicated that memo's was a show stopper for
you so I am posting this again in a new thread in hopes that you see it.

Dick ... with the new R 5 release of Quicken one of the updates to the
converter is that Memos in Money that are longer than 64 characters are
copied in full to a NOTE in the Quicken transaction.  The memo is still
truncated in Quicken memo but if you review the note you see the
complete/full Money Memo.

I have validated this somewhat in the new R5 release ... however, there
seems to be some transaction memos that this does not happen for; but by
far most of my truncated memos can now be fully seen in the Quicken note.

Hope this helps.  I find this update/change very good!
0
John
1/18/2010 11:06:18 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

On 1/18/2010 6:06 PM, John Smith wrote:

> Dick .. I posted this in an older thread and I am not sure you will ever
> see it. In the post you indicated that memo's was a show stopper for you
> so I am posting this again in a new thread in hopes that you see it.
>

> Dick ... with the new R 5 release of Quicken one of the updates to the
> converter is that Memos in Money that are longer than 64 characters are
> copied in full to a NOTE in the Quicken transaction. The memo is still
> truncated in Quicken memo but if you review the note you see the
> complete/full Money Memo.
>
> I have validated this somewhat in the new R5 release ... however, there
> seems to be some transaction memos that this does not happen for; but by
> far most of my truncated memos can now be fully seen in the Quicken note.
>
> Hope this helps. I find this update/change very good!

Thanks for posting.  I'm glad the Converter is being updated to handle
issues that early adopters ran into.

However, this creates a tough situation for some of us that converted to
Quicken at version R1, R2.  I'm now facing the specter of having to
reinstall Money Plus, possibly deal with re-activation headaches,
manually enter 3 months' worth of transactions in Money (M+ online
services timebombed for me in mid-October 2009), re-prep my M+ file for
conversion, re-convert to Quicken, and go through the post-conversion
cleanup, to benefit from the R3, R4, R5 updates.

If I do go down this road, I'll probably keep Money Plus installed (I
left it behind with Windows 7 Release Candidate when Windows 7 RTM
shipped) and do parallel entry for the next 6-12 months.

--
Scott Tyler
agent_scotty-at-hotmail-dot-com

FWIW  ... I just did a clean install of Win 7 (64) and I was able to
activate Money again and download the updates without any problems.

Scott Tyler wrote, On 1/18/2010 6:09 PM:
> On 1/18/2010 6:06 PM, John Smith wrote:
>>
>> Dick .. I posted this in an older thread and I am not sure you will ever
>> see it. In the post you indicated that memo's was a show stopper for you
>> so I am posting this again in a new thread in hopes that you see it.
>>

>> Dick ... with the new R 5 release of Quicken one of the updates to the
>> converter is that Memos in Money that are longer than 64 characters are
>> copied in full to a NOTE in the Quicken transaction. The memo is still
>> truncated in Quicken memo but if you review the note you see the
>> complete/full Money Memo.
>>
>> I have validated this somewhat in the new R5 release ... however, there
>> seems to be some transaction memos that this does not happen for; but by
>> far most of my truncated memos can now be fully seen in the Quicken note.
>>
>> Hope this helps. I find this update/change very good!
>
> Thanks for posting. I'm glad the Converter is being updated to handle
> issues that early adopters ran into.
>
> However, this creates a tough situation for some of us that converted to
> Quicken at version R1, R2. I'm now facing the specter of having to
> reinstall Money Plus, possibly deal with re-activation headaches,
> manually enter 3 months' worth of transactions in Money (M+ online
> services timebombed for me in mid-October 2009), re-prep my M+ file for
> conversion, re-convert to Quicken, and go through the post-conversion
> cleanup, to benefit from the R3, R4, R5 updates.
>
> If I do go down this road, I'll probably keep Money Plus installed (I
> left it behind with Windows 7 Release Candidate when Windows 7 RTM
> shipped) and do parallel entry for the next 6-12 months.

0
John
1/19/2010 12:49:09 AM
Well, that's better. Lossless conversion is a must. But I see some issues:
I'm suspecting that Q "memo" is roughly analogous to what goes in the memo
of a check (though why 64 characters is a question as no check will hold
that much) and Q "note" is similar to something like "Flag". But I collected
the data as the same thing in Money "Memo". It's great that nothing will be
lost. It's less great that it'd wind up duplicated, at least partially, in
two columns. (Non-normalized is the database engineering term.) I suppose
you could view the converted data as a breakpoint in time and retain it the
way it was converted and then use Memo and Note as suitable in the future.
But this would complicate reporting and data mining forever. One other
question: does a Q Note apply at the "root transaction" level (like an M
Flag) or can one be added to every element of a split transaction (like M
Memos)?

On another front: I have several work processes in the course of a year
that, as I do them today, require MoneyLink to get transaction data into
Excel. Is there any similar capability in Q? Even a report exported might
work if they export to Excel a lot better than Money does.

"John Smith" <JohnSmith@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Dick ... with the new R 5 release of Quicken one of the updates to the
> converter is that Memos in Money that are longer than 64 characters are
> copied in full to a NOTE in the Quicken transaction.  The memo is still
> truncated in Quicken memo but if you review the note you see the
> complete/full Money Memo.

0
Dick
1/19/2010 3:27:45 AM
On 1/18/2010 7:49 PM, John Smith wrote:

> You make a good point ... I was also thinking the about waiting even
> longer for an improved Quicken Converter and I am at R 5!
>
> FWIW ... I just did a clean install of Win 7 (64) and I was able to
> activate Money again and download the updates without any problems.

When I try to activate Money Plus, I'm getting a message that my key has
expired.

I emailed Support through the website link posted in another thread, and
hopefully they can get me going again.

In the meantime, during the 60 days I have until the activation grace
period expires, I'm bringing my old Money file up to date from October
2009, and will go through the M-to-Q conversion again.  Hopefully there
are no more big Quicken conversion updates I'll want after my 60 days
passes.

--
Scott Tyler
agent_scotty-at-hotmail-dot-com
0
Scott

HotFixes
How do I find out what Exchange hotfixes have been applied to an Exchange 5.5 (SP4) server (running on Win2k)? Is there a utility I can run to detect them? Or are they listed in the registry (in a common location hopefully)? thanks Clay Hilton yes if you check in the add/remove programs ,you should see all the hotfixes listed there .They will have a Q number appended . >-----Original Message----- >How do I find out what Exchange hotfixes have been applied to an Exchange >5.5 (SP4) server (running on Win2k)? Is there a utility I can run to detect >them? Or are they lis...

Quicken file conversion problems
I'm trying to test out the new 2004 by importing my quicken file throught the initial Wizard. Only problem it I get the following error message: Your Quicken file could not be converted. Money could not convert your Quicken file. You might have run out of disk space or system memory. Try closing other programs and making sure the disk you are copying your file to has enough space. Then try converting the file again. Can anyone help? TIA In microsoft.public.money, Scott wrote: >I'm trying to test out the new 2004 by importing my >quicken file throught the initial Wiz...

Money: Err Msg: Path Has Not Been Properly Set Up
please help.... Microsoft Money. The path is not properly set up in the registry or has been moved after running Money's Setup. Please re-install Money. Otherwise, Money may not be able to run properly. re-instal wont help deleting registry entry dasn.t help. windowx xp sp2 Ms Money 97 (v.5.0) .. Are you using an administrator account to run the software? -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://registe...

Money 2005 #50
Trying to restore my date from old xp computer to new vista computer. Loaded program ok, set the path to new location, am logged on with admin rights, when i try o restore says cannot open file. Have not had this on other computers? Need ideas? Thx how did you transfer your *.mny file? If you used a CD or DVD your file becomes read only. You have to manually go into to Windows Explorer and change it back to read/write. -- Peace, BobJ "meg85" <meg85@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FDA84068-4797-4B43-B215-750D689F8F35@microsoft.com... > Trying to re...

Money Central Portfolio #2

Exchange 5.5 to 2003 upgrade issue 3

loan amortisatio chart not updating
Hi, I use MS Monet 2007 premium. I have created a loan amortisation account which breaks up my monthly instslment into pricipal and interest. The loan commencd from 7 October 2005 and is for a period of 5 years. The problem is that the loan account does ot show any loan instalments beyond 7 October 2006 (exactly 1 year after the commencement). Why is this happening. Why is the account not updating with instalments which have been debited to my account after 7 October 2007. Please help. Were you depending on downloaded transaction data for this account? Did the download link br...

How do I setup an SMTP gateway / smart host for Exchange 5.5 internet bound mail
My current setup has a Windows NT 4.0 Exchange 5.5 server setting on our company LAN behind a Microsoft ISA Server. The Exchange server's Internet Mail Connector binds to (I assume this is the proper terms) port 25 on the ISA server for inbound and outbound Internet Mail. Our company has finally upgraded to a new Cisco Pix Firewall which we are able to setup a DMZ on. The suggestion by our ISP is to setup an SMTP gateway in the DMZ and have our internal Exchange server send mail to it destined for the Internet. I am aware that most of the work for making the connections from the SMTP ...

I added time update permisssion to my limited user acct. but it does not work. When I try, the time synchonization is greyed out. How can I get it to work. Thanks. On Apr 4, 12:33=A0pm, Mint <chocolatemint77...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I added time update permisssion to my limited user acct. but it does > not work. > When I try, the time synchonization is greyed out. > > How can I get it to work. > > Thanks. Is this Windows MCE SP2? What method did you use to add time update permission to your limited user account? Does your unlimited user accou...

Can't receive EMail #5

Backing Up Outlook #5
How do I backup copies of all mye-mail folders? Hod do I backup all my contacts within the address book? Hello, You can do a total backup of your Outlook PST file using a back up program in Outlook. To download the ad in go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx? FamilyId=8B081F3A-B7D0-4B16-B8AF- 5A6322F4FD01&displaylang=en If you have trouble email me at outlook@theblueedge.net Chris >-----Original Message----- >How do I backup copies of all mye-mail folders? Hod do I >backup all my contacts within the address book? >. > "Damon" <damo...

Converting date from an external source
I am having an issued with converting a date from external data source. the data has the timestamp in the general date form mm/dd/yyyy 00:00:00. I want to convert the date to mm/dd/yyyy format so when i run a query for a single day it will return the data for that date, I can currently return the data but i have to set the parameter in the mm/dd/yyyy 00:00:00 format, i want to simply return the data by setting the parameter in the mm/dd/yyyy format Don't confuse how data is stored with how it is presented. As long as you import the date into a field defined as a Date data type, you...

Excel 2002 converts 'S' to 0 when pasting from Clipboard
I came across the following problem: I copied some tabular data from IBM Personal Communications into the clipboard (yes, I am still a user of good old 3270 applications). Then I pasted the data into Microsoft Excel 2002 and all cells containing a 'S' became a '0' (number zero). Next I did some tests and found out that every single uppercase 'S' that is transferred to Excel using copy/paste is translated to '0'. This would not happen with other letters or with words containing an 'S'. Using 'Paste special' I can choose to insert my Clipboard a...

How do I import from LotusOrg 6.0?Import command only has 5.0
I am trying to import my calendar data from Lotus Org V6.X. Under the file command, it will only import from V5.X. Does anybody have any help for me since I would like to convert to Outlook from Lotus Organizer. Don Kiamie donalbert@mindspring.com In news:32C8F514-3EA5-4802-B1A4-F9C66E77293A@microsoft.com, DonAlbert <DonAlbert@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > I am trying to import my calendar data from Lotus Org V6.X. Under > the file command, it will only import from V5.X. Does anybody have > any help for me since I would like to convert to Outlook from Lotus > ...

reading and displaying memo fields
I got an ODBC database with a memo field. Now I use a CRecordSet in VC6 to read the database with CLongBinary for the memo field. After reading 18 fields he's out of memory. Is there a way to use CString instead of CLongBinary, cause it's only text in the memo fields (I already tried, but then I get an error message that the database could not be read)? Or is there a way to read all other fields first and only read the memo field when the user choose a specific item in the database? Thank you for helping me! ...

Excel Running Wild After Update
I ran the Office update via Auto Update. Word and Powerpoint seem fine but Excel attemtps to open every compatible file (and a few that aren't) when I start it up. After it overdoses on files it fails and closes. Any ideas on what to do other than reverting to an older version, pre-update? Wild guess: Look in Applications:Microsoft Office 2004:Office:Startup:Excel: . Are there a bunch of random files in there? I think Excel would try to open anything in there on launch. On 3/23/06 9:04 AM, "Jeff Fread" wrote: > I ran the Office update via Auto Update. Word and Powe...

Epay transactions
Greetings: I would like a clarification as to the method of payment for an Epay transaction. When I set up the transaction a notation appears that states the payment will be to the address provided. Question: Does that mean that the payment will be sent by mail or will it be made electronically? ...

Outlook 2000 client Connection TimeOut w/ Ex5.5 server???
Hi, we have a really intriguing issue that started recently. Outlook users, when clicking on an item in the Mailbox, will get the message "Can't open this item. The operation could not be completed because of an error on the network. Try to log on to the network again, and then repeat the operation." The user will click OK, and usually will be able to open the same item in one or two attempts. The Envrionment: Ex5.5 SP4, Outlook 2000. It is ONLY the Windows98 users that is seeing this message, on NT and W2k stations, there's this occassional hour-glass when we click on an ...

Assistance with ESEUTIL ans ISINTEG on Exchange 5.5
Folks, I need to perform some maintenance on a exchange 5.5 server. My users are complaining about speed, etc... First, GOOD BACKUP! Second, Take down all MS Exchange services Third, I want to run "ISINTEG -s EXCHANGE -FIX" correct? This will hopefully fix ant integrity issues. I am told to run it over and over until it comes up clean.. Once the integrity check is clean... Fourth, I run these three: eseutil /d /ds eseutil /d /ispriv eseutil /d /ispub If all goes well... Finally, startup MS Exchange services.. This is my plan. Any suggesstions? Comments? 1) GOOD BA...

How do I print a SINGLE POSTCARD on 5.5x4.25in stock?
I have a preprinted postcard that is 5.5" x 4.25". A standard postcard. I cannot for the life of me to get Publisher to print on this cardstock!! It keeps thinking the page is "LETTER 8.5x11". I have NO problems getting 4 cards (multiple addresses) to print on one page. But now I have the cards pre-printed and just want to mail-merge an address list onto them. How do I set this up? Because apparently, using the post card template of 5.5x4.25 (or even the 6x4) doesn't do it!!!!! Thanks for any insight. Jeff Jeff, File, PRINT SETUP Here select your stock si...