Quicken charges for what Money did for free?

Hello all;

I've been using Money for years and am sadly switching over to Quicken
2010 deluxe.  I saw that most everyone was "ok" with the change so i
went ahead and moved everything over.  I bank with Chase and was
grandfathered to pay bills with no cost.  I used Money to pay bills
and everything was great.

Now it seems that to pay bills in Quicken but it seems I need to use
Quicken Bill Pay and they want $9.95 a month!  Basically all I want
Quicken to do is send bill pay instructions to Chase, since they do
not charge me a monthly fee to pay bills.

is this possible?  if so, how -- I can't figure it out at all and have
searched without success.  If it's not possible are we just victims of
the lack of competitiveness, or was Microsoft offering this service
for free all along a reason for their downfall?

Thanks in advance for any help... I'm so discouraged by this so far
and need answers or help.

Regards,

MW

0
MW
1/3/2010 7:59:29 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

On 1/3/2010 2:59 PM, MW wrote:
> Hello all;
>
> I've been using Money for years and am sadly switching over to Quicken
> 2010 deluxe.  I saw that most everyone was "ok" with the change so i
> went ahead and moved everything over.  I bank with Chase and was
> grandfathered to pay bills with no cost.  I used Money to pay bills
> and everything was great.
>
> Now it seems that to pay bills in Quicken but it seems I need to use
> Quicken Bill Pay and they want $9.95 a month!  Basically all I want
> Quicken to do is send bill pay instructions to Chase, since they do
> not charge me a monthly fee to pay bills.
>
> is this possible?  if so, how -- I can't figure it out at all and have
> searched without success.  If it's not possible are we just victims of
> the lack of competitiveness, or was Microsoft offering this service
> for free all along a reason for their downfall?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help... I'm so discouraged by this so far
> and need answers or help.
>
> Regards,
>
> MW

Quicken Bill Pay is analogous to MSN Bill Pay, it's a pay service for
users that don't have access to free/lower-cost bill pay directly
through their bank.  Unless there are differences in the services
available to Quicken vs Money, you shouldn't need to use Quicken Bill
Pay if you weren't using MSN Bill Pay.

In moving from Money to Quicken, my bill pay through TD Bank with
Quicken works just as well (and just as free) as it did with Money.

If Quicken uses a different server and/or different setup information to
connect to Chase than Money did, it may not be picking up the free
billpay privileges associated with your Chase account in Money.

I have a Chase credit card, and there was something in my online profile
(through my browser, not Money or Quicken) that I had to click through
to make online services work with Money/Quicken.  When I first moved to
Quicken, I had issues with that Chase card, and had to click through
that option again to get Quicken working.

At another point I had an error with that Chase card in Quicken, and had
to completely remove and restore online services for that card to get it
working with Quicken again.

Hopefully you're able to get fixed.

--
Scott Tyler
agent_scotty-at-hotmail-dot-com

Let me give you a general thought to ponder: one of these two is still
tenuously in the business of selling personal finance management software
but find it the least profitable of their business ventures. The other one
is running away from this business and its customers as fast as they
reasonably can, having long since given up trying to close a business case
to do otherwise.

"MW" <peccator@gmail.com> wrote in message
> If it's not possible are we just victims of
> the lack of competitiveness, or was Microsoft offering this service
> for free all along a reason for their downfall?

0
Dick
1/3/2010 10:51:52 PM
OK... ironically my wife figured it out.  I guess Quicken is going to
take some getting used to.  Boy was this confusing.  I bet there are a
lot of folks paying Quicken to do what their bank could do cheaper.

Anyway, now it seems that when a bill is due (reminder) I have to hope
out to the online center to pay it rather than just pay it from the
reminder screen.  Who knows, maybe my wife will figure that one out
too!

Thanks for the response.

Also Dick... you comment does not bode well for the end user of
personal financial software.  Two main players; one getting out of the
business, the other not over profitable with it.  Sounds like we'll
all be going back to checkbook registers and pencils someday.

Regards,

MW

On Jan 3, 4:40=A0pm, Scott Tyler <agent_scotty-at-hotmail-dot-com>
wrote:
> On 1/3/2010 2:59 PM, MW wrote:
>
> Quicken Bill Pay is analogous to MSN Bill Pay, it's a pay service for
> users that don't have access to free/lower-cost bill pay directly
> through their bank. =A0Unless there are differences in the services
> available to Quicken vs Money, you shouldn't need to use Quicken Bill
> Pay if you weren't using MSN Bill Pay.
>
> In moving from Money to Quicken, my bill pay through TD Bank with
> Quicken works just as well (and just as free) as it did with Money.
>
> If Quicken uses a different server and/or different setup information to
> connect to Chase than Money did, it may not be picking up the free
> billpay privileges associated with your Chase account in Money.
>
> I have a Chase credit card, and there was something in my online profile
> (through my browser, not Money or Quicken) that I had to click through
> to make online services work with Money/Quicken. =A0When I first moved to
> Quicken, I had issues with that Chase card, and had to click through
> that option again to get Quicken working.
>
> At another point I had an error with that Chase card in Quicken, and had
> to completely remove and restore online services for that card to get it
> working with Quicken again.
>
> Hopefully you're able to get fixed.
>
> --
> Scott Tyler
> agent_scotty-at-hotmail-dot-com

0
MW
1/3/2010 11:40:06 PM
Actually that is not true, if you just hit the Enter button on the right
side of the Bill reminder screen it gives you the dialog box to
confirm/edit your payment details and submit enter.

Just relax and work with it for awhile.  Search under Dominick on this
forum, I have given 2 very detailed reports of my conversion to Quicken
from a long time Money user. Overall I am very happy with the switch,
and it's just great to have a vendor that's actually adding features to
the product.  My reports on here show what I like/dislike moving from
Money, but in summary there is nothing that I use that I have lost in
the switch. (Your mileage may vary as I don't use some things like
budgeting).

On 1/3/2010 6:40 PM, MW wrote:
> OK... ironically my wife figured it out.  I guess Quicken is going to
> take some getting used to.  Boy was this confusing.  I bet there are a
> lot of folks paying Quicken to do what their bank could do cheaper.
>
> Anyway, now it seems that when a bill is due (reminder) I have to hope
> out to the online center to pay it rather than just pay it from the
> reminder screen.  Who knows, maybe my wife will figure that one out
> too!
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> Also Dick... you comment does not bode well for the end user of
> personal financial software.  Two main players; one getting out of the
> business, the other not over profitable with it.  Sounds like we'll
> all be going back to checkbook registers and pencils someday.
>
> Regards,
>
> MW
>

> On Jan 3, 4:40 pm, Scott Tyler<agent_scotty-at-hotmail-dot-com>
> wrote:
>> On 1/3/2010 2:59 PM, MW wrote:
>>
>> Quicken Bill Pay is analogous to MSN Bill Pay, it's a pay service for
>> users that don't have access to free/lower-cost bill pay directly
>> through their bank.  Unless there are differences in the services
>> available to Quicken vs Money, you shouldn't need to use Quicken Bill
>> Pay if you weren't using MSN Bill Pay.
>>
>> In moving from Money to Quicken, my bill pay through TD Bank with
>> Quicken works just as well (and just as free) as it did with Money.
>>
>> If Quicken uses a different server and/or different setup information to
>> connect to Chase than Money did, it may not be picking up the free
>> billpay privileges associated with your Chase account in Money.
>>
>> I have a Chase credit card, and there was something in my online profile
>> (through my browser, not Money or Quicken) that I had to click through
>> to make online services work with Money/Quicken.  When I first moved to
>> Quicken, I had issues with that Chase card, and had to click through
>> that option again to get Quicken working.
>>
>> At another point I had an error with that Chase card in Quicken, and had
>> to completely remove and restore online services for that card to get it
>> working with Quicken again.
>>
>> Hopefully you're able to get fixed.
>>
>> --
>> Scott Tyler
>> agent_scotty-at-hotmail-dot-com

0
Dominick
1/11/2010 12:33:25 PM
I do think the future is grim on this score. It's all about the money. Users
won't spend what good software costs and the banks and FIs are only
interested if they can make a business case usually involving "monetizing
the relationship" somehow. Ad delivery or whatever. They don't really care
how they do it and whether it helps users better manage their finances is
not a concern of theirs at all.