Quicken 2005 Conversion

Does anyone have an answer to this conversion from
Quicken 2005 to Money 2005, money says can't find all the
quicken files? Based on what I have read, a lot of
problems with Money2005,in spite of a lot of reviews that
placed Money over Quicken. I might just stay with
Quicken,
0
anonymous (74722)
9/23/2004 10:42:26 PM
money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

>Subject: Quicken 2005 Conversion
>From: "kentalk" anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com
>Date: 9/23/2004 6:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time
>
>Does anyone have an answer to this conversion from
>Quicken 2005 to Money 2005, money says can't find all the
>quicken files? Based on what I have read, a lot of
>problems with Money2005,in spite of a lot of reviews that
>placed Money over Quicken. I might just stay with
>Quicken,

Why in the world would you buy Quicken 2005 and now want to switch to Money
2005? I would suggest you learn all about both products BEFORE you buy. JMHO.
Steve
0
sjcohen730 (458)
9/23/2004 10:50:12 PM
AFAIK you can't convert Q2005 to M2005. Again AFAIK they haven't changed the
golden rule that Money version x will only convert Quicken version x-1.

--
Regards
Bob Peel,

For UK tips & fixes see
For wishes or suggestions see
or for UK wishes http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback

"kentalk" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have an answer to this conversion from
> Quicken 2005 to Money 2005, money says can't find all the
> quicken files? Based on what I have read, a lot of
> problems with Money2005,in spite of a lot of reviews that
> placed Money over Quicken. I might just stay with
> Quicken,

0
Bob_Peel9435 (194)
9/23/2004 11:04:43 PM
Why would you want to go to Money 2005?? It's a mess!

Please, tell us why you don't like Quicken 2005 so I can
stop being obsessive about M05!

0
anonymous (74722)
9/24/2004 12:41:05 AM
I've been using using MS Money for 5+ years and just
bought version 2005 but plan to take it back. I'm going to
give Quicken a try.
0
anonymous (74722)
9/24/2004 1:39:27 AM
In article <12d101c4a1d7$5467b5e0$a301280a@phx.gbl>,
Glenn <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>I've been using using MS Money for 5+ years and just
>bought version 2005 but plan to take it back. I'm going to
>give Quicken a try.

Oh my god.  The very voice of doom.

I have been using Quicken since October 1995, but I have ordered Microsoft
Money Premium 2005.  Quicken has been going down hill for years.  The
two issues that collectively exhausted my patience are

1.  In Quicken 2004, when I run a report for rate-of-return on my
investments, half or more of my securities display a rate of "N/A,"
which means that Quicken could not compute a rate.  Apparently, this
bug is not fixed in Quicken 2005.  Computing a rate-of-return is such
a basic feature for an accounting package.  The fact that Intuit did
not repair this problem after a year indicates to me that this company
is not worth dealing with, as a customer.

2.  Starting in Quicken 2005, Intuit has deprecated the use of .qif
files for importing financial data from banks, brokerages, and so forth.
Quicken 2006 will not accept .qif files at all.  Instead, financial
institutions will be forced to use a proprietary ".qfx" format that
earns Intuit a royalty.  I don't expect all of the businesses that I
deal with to play along with this scam.  Neither will I.

I am aware that Microsoft Money has quality issues of its own.  Yet, I
will try the 2005 version.  I'd really like to know if MS Money can fix
its own bugs and improve its quality as the years go by.  I am convinced
that Intuit is moving in the opposite direction.  If MS Money is going
down hill as well, I'll have to switch to an open source product like
gnucash.  Then I can fix the bugs myself.
--
David Arnstein
arnstein+usenet@pobox.com

As far as Money 2005, I upgraded my data without any hitches and the program
works just as well as the previous version with a nicer interface.  I know
there have been issues here with the supported financial institutions
advertised, but I don't really see any problems with the quality of the
program itself.

--

regards,
Michael Abbaticchio

"Glenn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been using using MS Money for 5+ years and just
> bought version 2005 but plan to take it back. I'm going to
> give Quicken a try.

0
nospam6185 (535)
9/25/2004 3:34:42 AM
Money is a much tighter product.  Quicken is mish-mosh of good ideas bound
together with Elmer's Glue.  IMO 2003 was fork in the road where Quicken
choose the wrong path.  2002 was a really good version.  All downhill from
there.

--

regards,
Michael Abbaticchio

"David Arnstein" <arnstein@panix.com> wrote in message
> In article <12d101c4a1d7$5467b5e0$a301280a@phx.gbl>,
> Glenn <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>I've been using using MS Money for 5+ years and just
>>bought version 2005 but plan to take it back. I'm going to
>>give Quicken a try.
>
> Oh my god.  The very voice of doom.
>
> I have been using Quicken since October 1995, but I have ordered Microsoft
> Money Premium 2005.  Quicken has been going down hill for years.  The
> two issues that collectively exhausted my patience are
>
> 1.  In Quicken 2004, when I run a report for rate-of-return on my
> investments, half or more of my securities display a rate of "N/A,"
> which means that Quicken could not compute a rate.  Apparently, this
> bug is not fixed in Quicken 2005.  Computing a rate-of-return is such
> a basic feature for an accounting package.  The fact that Intuit did
> not repair this problem after a year indicates to me that this company
> is not worth dealing with, as a customer.
>
> 2.  Starting in Quicken 2005, Intuit has deprecated the use of .qif
> files for importing financial data from banks, brokerages, and so forth.
> Quicken 2006 will not accept .qif files at all.  Instead, financial
> institutions will be forced to use a proprietary ".qfx" format that
> earns Intuit a royalty.  I don't expect all of the businesses that I
> deal with to play along with this scam.  Neither will I.
>
> I am aware that Microsoft Money has quality issues of its own.  Yet, I
> will try the 2005 version.  I'd really like to know if MS Money can fix
> its own bugs and improve its quality as the years go by.  I am convinced
> that Intuit is moving in the opposite direction.  If MS Money is going
> down hill as well, I'll have to switch to an open source product like
> gnucash.  Then I can fix the bugs myself.
> --
> David Arnstein
> arnstein+usenet@pobox.com

0
nospam6185 (535)
9/25/2004 3:37:47 AM

I want to switch .. I've been a quicken user for years and
they fail miserably in the one area most important to me,
namely using it to download and register all of my
transactions. Many of my financial institutions require
cumbersome seperate download processes to get info to
quicken format, and then quicken is horrible at matching
transactions properly. I end up spending tons of time
correcting mistakes that *are the reason I wanted the
program in the first place*. Also, I've been a beta-tester
for a number of years, and even so, I don't like their
answers about this problem.

Also, I find the program FAR too complex and cumbersome to
use in many instances for the basic financial stuff I want
to do
0
flash23 (2)
9/25/2004 7:38:59 PM
Also, one last comment for any MS people --

GET A QUICKEN 2005 CONVERTER BUILT! You miss many potential
converts if you can't. It's the main reason I havent
converted before - I always end up on the most recent
version of quicken before the most recent ver of Money
comes out, and I can't convert then..
0
flash23 (2)
9/25/2004 7:40:22 PM
Don't expect a Q05 converted before M06 is released.  Microsoft only
released a Quicken converter in mid-product cycle once that I can remember
and that was several years ago.

I assume you either don't have a Quicken 2004 backup, or you're not
interested in entering a month's worth of transactions again?

--

"WikkiWikki" <flash23@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Also, one last comment for any MS people --
>
> GET A QUICKEN 2005 CONVERTER BUILT! You miss many potential
> converts if you can't. It's the main reason I havent
> converted before - I always end up on the most recent
> version of quicken before the most recent ver of Money
> comes out, and I can't convert then..

0
bollar (385)
9/25/2004 8:28:18 PM
Since the respective versions upgrade at a time very close to one another,
why not just delay your upgrade of Q briefly until M is out, then you can
try both (assuming trial versions) and decide.

How is Microsoft supposed to create a conversion utility for a version of
Quicken that doesn't exist at the time Money is released? Do you expect
Intuit to provide them an advance copy?
--
Chris Cowles,
Gainesville, FL

"WikkiWikki" <flash23@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Also, one last comment for any MS people --
>
> GET A QUICKEN 2005 CONVERTER BUILT! You miss many potential
> converts if you can't. It's the main reason I havent
> converted before - I always end up on the most recent
> version of quicken before the most recent ver of Money
> comes out, and I can't convert then..

0
NoSpam1246 (979)
9/25/2004 10:10:04 PM
When planning to convert, you need to skip the upgrade of your current
product that year.  The competing product will only convert data from the
previous year.  My experience has, been the conversions are never really
good enough, so you end up doing a lot of manual labor.

Although, I never really attempted to convert back to Quicken ....... ;)
Anyone reading between the lines should pay attention to that last statement
I made.

--

regards,
Michael Abbaticchio

"WikkiWikki" <flash23@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Also, one last comment for any MS people --
>
> GET A QUICKEN 2005 CONVERTER BUILT! You miss many potential
> converts if you can't. It's the main reason I havent
> converted before - I always end up on the most recent
> version of quicken before the most recent ver of Money
> comes out, and I can't convert then..

0
nospam6185 (535)
9/26/2004 6:14:21 PM
It's not a month of transactions.. I want to preserve the
entire history on my accounts, registers, etc., and just as
importantly, the accounts and details themselves.

And before anyone says one can export this from quicken,
one has to export (unless I'm mistaken, which is quite
possible) individual accounts, which forces importing of
individual accounts, which leads to errors and matched
register transactions NOT matching. And I don't believe one
can export into Q04 format once on Q05. Oh, and have a
backup of Q04? No, once I upgrade to a new version and make
sure the data files transfer properly, I don't save old
versions. They are of little use once the information
becomes dated.

The advice from Michael in regards to skipping a year for
updating quicken if planning a conversion would work, but
that's obvious and not a solution. And from a competetive
point of view, if you are selling Money and want Quicken
users to convert over, one of the first things they might
want to do is import their Quicken data to see a) how
painful the process is, and b) to then actually be able to
try out Money and see how it works with real accounts and
transactions.

There is no reason why MS (or any other company for that
matter) cannot work on an import utility seperately from
development of their main releases.

0
anonymous (74722)
9/27/2004 10:18:13 PM
Indeed.

My point was that if you had a Quicken 2004 backup, you could easily update
that file to Money 2005 and you would only have to reenter the transactions
you previously entered in Quicken 2005.

While I think a Q05 converter before M06 comes out would be great, my
understanding is that the process is not trivial.  Of course if Intuit
published their file specification, that might save some time.

> It's not a month of transactions.. I want to preserve the
> entire history on my accounts, registers, etc., and just as
> importantly, the accounts and details themselves.

0
bollar (385)
9/28/2004 1:16:59 AM
Richard Bollar wrote in <OxgCcjPpEHA.3896@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>:

>Indeed.
>
>My point was that if you had a Quicken 2004 backup, you could easily update
>that file to Money 2005 and you would only have to reenter the transactions
>you previously entered in Quicken 2005.
>
>While I think a Q05 converter before M06 comes out would be great, my
>understanding is that the process is not trivial.  Of course if Intuit
>published their file specification, that might save some time.

The thing is, Microsoft could do the same thing Intuit does and base
the converter around a saved native report.  Quicken can output every
transaction (including itemized splits) to a tab-delimited file.  It
would be child's play for the Money team to write an import program
that processed this file.  Quicken imports Money data by reading the
XML transaction list created by a Money report.

It's not necessary to reverse engineer the internal database format.
0
info7138 (79)

Data table
One of our accountants has a .123 file I've converted to Excel, but I'm having major problems with the data table. I've never used a data table before, so that could be the reason for my troubles; I've looked at every article I can find trying to solve this problem. The input cell used in the ..123 file references a cell on another sheet that is a Weekly Sales Projection, used in 3 formulas when the variables are recalculated. When I try referencing that cell as the Column Input cell, I get an error "Input cell reference is not valid." The first formula used...

Does anyone receive the the Studio 2005 via MSDN subscription?
I know the Studio.NET 2005 has been released for some time. I have MSDN subscription. But I do not receive the new update yet. Does anyone receive the the Studio 2005 via MSDN subscription? I am also waiting and I havent received it either. Did you try downloading it? I am guessing its available there. ---------- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com "kathy" <yqin_99@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1132673000.292159.325120@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I know the Studio.NET 2005 has been released for some time. I have MSDN > subscription. But I do not receive the new...

Eliminating extra tables during XSD to DataSet conversion
Converting an XML schema to a DataSet is very easy under .NET. However, the DataSets that I get after the conversion is done are rather messy. The problem is that the schema is organized into sections, and for every enclosing tag .NET creates a runt table with nothing in it but an auto-generated ID and a link to the parent table. While I do get all of the tables I want, I also get a dozen other spurious tables like the one I described. I've tried messing with IsDataSet="false" and looking for examples on the Web and in this group, but almost all of the examples show IsDataSet=...

Lead conversion #2
We get hundreds of leads from trade shows and filter them by region. Some regions we are not interested in and wish to disqualify them in bulk. How to do this? -- Ashley Langston CRM Manager On Jun 3, 3:48=A0pm, Ashley Langston <AshleyLangs...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > We get hundreds of leads from trade shows and filter them by region. =A0S= ome > regions we are not interested in and wish to disqualify them in bulk. =A0= How to > do this? > -- > Ashley Langston > CRM Manager Here's an article from Microsoft about bulk adding leads to marketing list...

Upgrading from Money SBE 2004 to SBE 2005
Hi, Do I have to uninstall the old money version first before installing the new one, or can I just install the new one and it will automatically detect and upgrade accordingly? 2nd question: If my business is selling insurance products, how do I classify them under the products listing? How do I track commissions? Thanks. A1: the latter works fine. Can't help with Q2. "Huang Qiliang" <HuangQiliang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7E0337B-90D1-4E60-AC85-07FCC5A8D8C7@microsoft.com... > Do I have to uninstall the old money version first before in...

UPC data conversion
We receive Excel documents which contain information regarding the barcode number (item lookup codes) from our suppliers. Currently we import this information by copy and pasting the item lookup code into the relevant fields. Does anyone know of either a add-in or otherwise available to purchase that would allow for the data to be converted automatically. FYI: all the data involves Matrix creation with two (size and colour) you couldnt do better than talk to Davidson Richard, the data management utility does just what you want, and much more! saves us hours and hours of data inputt...

Money 2005 activation?
I'm considering upgrading but don't agree with what product activation means to me as a customer. Nevertheless, I don't want to get into any arguments over the ethics. What I want to know is does the Money 2005 product I can purchase on CD use product activation? I checked out Microsoft's site as well as the product box doesn't say it does...even though I recall an older version did. That's precisely why I didn't upgrade at the time and can't believe Microsoft would dump the 'feature.' Anyone know? Rick. -+--- rpali@alienshore.com http://www.alienshor...

Quicken 2007 again
Does the new version of MS Money convert from Quicken 2007? Correctly? Quicken is moving to 2009 so, based on previous posts, I would assume MS would actually be in the process of getting the Quicken 2008 conversion going. I don't see any new info, however, on the 2007 conversion actually working. I tried a trial once several months ago so that is not an option now. They've tended in the past to release a converter for the version of Quicken released in the year PRIOR to the version of Money released. (E.g., M06 imported Q05...) They aren't releasing a new version of Money ...

Customer Names and Adresses in Microsoft Money 2005 Small Business
I have about 70 customers with names and adresses in my Microsoft Money 2005 Small Business program. How do I print out a list of the names and adresses of the customers? It should be easy but is not obvious. Good question. It does not seem to be possible in money 2000 for either. "Dennis_H" wrote: > I have about 70 customers with names and adresses in my Microsoft Money 2005 > Small Business program. How do I print out a list of the names and adresses > of the customers? It should be easy but is not obvious. Okay...I am going to answer my own post because I figured...

MS Money 2005 backup question
In MS Money 2005 standard version, when you want to backup tp a 3 1/2 floppy it does not offer to overwrite the file which would be particularly handy to do since it unfortunately requires 2 discs unlike any previous versions I have used. I think that is pretty lame. So it seems, unless I missed something somewhere, you have to format or delete the current file before using the same discs again. Is there a fix for this somewhere or, has a newer version got this squared away? A goof in M2005 I guess! No fix available except an upgrade to M2006. BTW floppies are not really reliable fo...

Upgraded to 2005 Deluxe, where are my transactions?
Hi, I just upgraded to 2005 Deluxe. After the install, I opened my .mbf file and Money told me that it converted my file. So, I want to make sure it imported everything correctly and it didn't import anything. My bills that were in my previous version aren't there and non of my bank accounts that I had years of entries for. Where did my account information go? Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, "Craig M." <Craig M.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >I just upgraded to 2005 Deluxe. After the install, I opened my .mbf file >and Money told me that ...

Importing Quicken 2008 Files
I just downloaded Money Plus Premium and tried to import my Quicken 2008 file. I tried the conversion tool but still no luck. I do understand the like year Money and Quicken files won't allow you to convert. So I guess my question is will Microsoft be updating Money anytime soon so I'll be able to convert my Quicken 08 file into Money Plus? Please help anyone. Arron I don't think anybody here knows. IF they did, they probably wouldn't be at liberty to say. Personally, I wouldn't be holding my breath. "Arron" <Arron@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

TRowePrice or Ameritrade in Money 2005
Does these both work well with Money 2005? Are they both good brokerages? John wrote in <vcmdnXgwObb1KMXcRVn-rw@comcast.com>: >Does these both work well with Money 2005? >Are they both good brokerages? > I've used TRowePrice for years with no complaints, but I'm no Warren Buffet. Money 2005 has been screwing up my investment balances though. It used to work great with Money 2002. They are both reputable firms. At the present time, I am unable to download any of my Ameritrade account data with Money 2005. From a few other reports, Ameritrade is not working with ...

publisher 95 to 98 opening or conversion
while I tried the suggestion recommended the files still would not open I turned off Norton Anti virus and still received the error message that publisher could not open files from a different version any other suggestions? What version Windows do you have? It could be a printer issue, Publisher saves all printer information within each publication. If you have Windows XP, turn off the printer spooler. Control panel, Administrative tools, services, click print spooler, click stop. If you don't have Windows XP, try opening the files in safe mode. If all this fails, send the files to ...

Restoring Money 2005 #2
This is my last resort before scrapping the program. I have used Microsoft Money since around 2000. I have just had a new PC built and I am at the stage where I am pulling my hair out with restoring my back up file having spent around 4 or 5 hours solid. This palavour has happened before when I have had any changes like new hard drives etc, eventually after some cursing and swearing it eventually works. I get the following message: Money can't locate c\program files\microsoft money 2005\money etc, or cannot open it possibly because it is a read only file etc etc. Why can't yo...

Routines or functions to do conversions
I do a lot of conversions of different types most frequently involving measurements, for example from square meters to square feet, gallons to cubic feet, etc (sometimes involving unusual measures such as Chinese mu, a measure of area). Are there any functions or routines to do conversions? Also, if I keep constants such as SFPerM2 (square feet per square meter), is there an easy way to make them quickly accessible to all my spreadsheets or new spreadsheets? Thanks for any help Huck Excel has a Convert Function in the Analysis Toolpak. I use a handy utility called Converter, f...

File Conversion #4
Is there a way to convert a .pm6 file to .pub You can try a copy and paste if you have both programs. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "Matthew" <Matthew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:24958DF5-73D3-47E5-A416-2DD5DF990328@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to convert a .pm6 file to .pub I have a big problem. I had my computer wiped and couldn't find my original word disc. I downloaded a free MS word 2007 trial. found my 2003 discs and installed. can write new doc...

MS Money Standard 2005
Hello, My mny file and my most recent backup mbf are corrupted and can't be repaired or restored. My most recent prior backup is from May 3rd. I need to repair either my recent backup or my mny file desperately. Can anyone recommend a money file repair company; or better yet point me to a money file specification so that I can fix it myself. I'm a programmer so I'm willing to get into the file and remove the offending transaction or bytes. I can't help but think that this has something to do with the most recent windows update. I understand the corruption of the mn...

Outlook 2007 hosed by SQL Server 2005
Hi. I've been running the Office 2007 Beta for awhile and needed to uninstall SQL Express and install full-blown SQL Server 2005 on my laptop for development reasons. After doing so, Outlook 2007 is completely hosed. It will run, but I cannot open any emails. I can highlight them and save them as HTML or text, but if I try to open one, Outlook freezes. I've run Office diagnostics and it finds nothing major, just the fact that Office 2003 is still installed (but does not work properly, of course). I installed the Office 2007 refresh yesterday, it did not help. I need to get Outlook wor...

Money Uk change to Quicken 2009
Just bought last weak Quicken 2010 to have an oppotunity to make my home finance, when money stops quote updating in the near future Working with money for more than a decade in a very sufficient way, it was very hard to change to quicken 2010. Money was simple and efficient. As Quicken is new to me, it is difficult to get the overview as fast, as I had it with money. But after several days using it, I get used to it. I was not able to transfer my investment accounts to Quicken, so I did it all, account by account manually. Today I am happy to have an alternative to money, but I would pr...

Final week - 2005 Excel User Conference - Ft. Worth, Texas
This is the last week for registration. Don't miss this opportunity to participate in the first Excel user conference - www.ExcelUserConference.com. In Ft. Worth, you will get to meet some of the regular posters and learn from some of the lists most respected members. All registrants from these last two weeks are entered into a drawing for Joseph (Exceltip.com) Rubin's book - "F1 Get the Most out of Excel". http://www.exceltip.com/pl-f1_index I look forward to seeing everyone in Texas!! -- Damon Longworth Don't miss out on the 2005 Excel User Conference Sept 1...

Going back to Quicken
Well I've exhausted my efforts with MS Money. I gave it 4 months and can't find but a single feature that I like (The home page).. Everything else I dislike and find harder to use than Quicken. 1) MSM is repeatedly downloading a transaction from my bank that has already beeen downloaded, matched, posted, and cleared.. It started this last month and I tolerated it.. Made another payment to the same payee thinking it might clear up and it did so for a couple days then it's back again.. downloading the same transaction every time I update. Never had this problem with Qu...

A new conversion problem...
Not too long ago I posted with a couple of questions about converting Access 97 to 2000... at the time I got some help and thought all was well... more fool me, now other people here are coming to me for help... Currently I'm attempting to convert an access '97 file ... I've created a new database and imported all the fields ... everything works fine in '97 So I copy my new database to a local drive... the file is 825 Meg the partition on the Local drive is 4 Gig. When I attempt to convert the file either by opening it from explorer or by choosing the tools from Access it ...

Quicken Money Data Converter
Spent a little more time experimenting with the Quicken Data Converter. I selected most of my bank accounts. The total export entries are 7609 items. I unselected some of the accounts. The Money export files are good, including all the transactions with the accounts I selected. But the Quicken conversion/import has been very poor. Blame it on Quicken data converter. It does not import all the transactions. It is impossible to reconcile/balance the many accounts over the past many years. It is going to be month-long project :-( I'll stick with my plan. I may check it several months ...

Money 2005 update #3
Everytime I start Money, I get a message that an update is available, and if I install the update, after the installation is complete and I try to open my Money file, I get an error message saying a phone number could not be found. The only way to recover from this is to remove and reinstall Money 2005 from the original disk, skip running the update when I restart Money, and then open the backup copy of my Money file. What do I need to do to be able to use the Money 2005 update? Try using the sample file. Navigate to sample.mny and double click on it. Money will then download the upd...