Proper use of categories in invoicing?

I am a freelance web developer.  I use Money to print and track my
invoicing.  Being a freelancer, I often have a wide variety of clients:
there is a continual influx of new clients, as well as a stable of regular
clients.

The regular clients often bring their own clients with them, and in this
case, my role is only to develop the site.  As a result, I will often send
out 10 or 20 invoices to one of these regular clients over the course of a
year, covering work that I may have done on 20 or 30 sites.

As it is now, I can sort for invoices to the REGULAR CLIENTS, but I cannot
search/sort for invoices to SUB-Clients, e.g., let's say I do work for
RegularA in building a site for their ClientA.  My invoice would be directed
to RegularA, but I have no way to find all invoices that covered charges to
ClientA (or at least that I can find).

Am I missing something here?  Or am I simply trying to hit a fly (my
application) with a sledgehammer (Money)?  Would I be better off using some
other application?

--
Murray

money 28651 articles. 7 followers. Follow

In microsoft.public.money, Murray wrote:

>The regular clients often bring their own clients with them, and in this
>case, my role is only to develop the site.  As a result, I will often send
>out 10 or 20 invoices to one of these regular clients over the course of a
>year, covering work that I may have done on 20 or 30 sites.
>
>As it is now, I can sort for invoices to the REGULAR CLIENTS, but I cannot
>search/sort for invoices to SUB-Clients, e.g., let's say I do work for
>RegularA in building a site for their ClientA.  My invoice would be directed
>to RegularA, but I have no way to find all invoices that covered charges to
>ClientA (or at least that I can find).

You could add a classification for the sub-client. Then reports can
be customized to select data for a given sub-client.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
7/5/2004 5:09:00 PM
Cal:

Thanks for that suggestion.  Is that the phrase I would look for in the help
index -> add classification?

--
Murray

> In microsoft.public.money, Murray wrote:
>

> >The regular clients often bring their own clients with them, and in this
> >case, my role is only to develop the site.  As a result, I will often
send
> >out 10 or 20 invoices to one of these regular clients over the course of
> >year, covering work that I may have done on 20 or 30 sites.
> >
> >As it is now, I can sort for invoices to the REGULAR CLIENTS, but I
cannot
> >search/sort for invoices to SUB-Clients, e.g., let's say I do work for
> >RegularA in building a site for their ClientA.  My invoice would be
directed
> >to RegularA, but I have no way to find all invoices that covered charges
> >ClientA (or at least that I can find).
>
> You could add a classification for the sub-client. Then reports can
> be customized to select data for a given sub-client.

In microsoft.public.money, Murray wrote:

>Thanks for that suggestion.  Is that the phrase I would look for in the help
>index -> add classification?

I would just enter "classification" into the Ask Money box of Help
for information on Classifications.

Accounts&Bills->Categories&Payees->Classification1 or
Accounts&Bills->Categories&Payees->Classification2 should get you to
Add Classification -- assuming you do not already have two
classifications.

Note that you can have subclassifications within a sublassification.
So you might want to make the sub-customers as subclassifications
under the respective super-customer.

You might also want to make an extra copy of your file to experiment
with to see what works best for you.

0
via_newsgroup (13114)
7/5/2004 7:14:50 PM
> You might also want to make an extra copy of your file to experiment
> with to see what works best for you.

I may not be much good at much else, but I'm good at making these extra
copies! 8)

Thanks much Cal!

--
Murray

> In microsoft.public.money, Murray wrote:
>

> >Thanks for that suggestion.  Is that the phrase I would look for in the
help
> >index -> add classification?
>
> I would just enter "classification" into the Ask Money box of Help
> for information on Classifications.
>
> Accounts&Bills->Categories&Payees->Classification1 or
> Accounts&Bills->Categories&Payees->Classification2 should get you to
> Add Classification -- assuming you do not already have two
> classifications.
>
> Note that you can have subclassifications within a sublassification.
> So you might want to make the sub-customers as subclassifications
> under the respective super-customer.
>
> You might also want to make an extra copy of your file to experiment
> with to see what works best for you.

How do i sort contacts using more than one catagory ?
I am trying to create lists which have contacts sorted by more than one catagory. So including contacts that are linked to two or more specific catagories. Can this be done, if so how? thanks "samong" <samong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01E99022-AB21-487B-9365-2E66BB0C3F1B@microsoft.com... >I am trying to create lists which have contacts sorted by more than one > catagory. So including contacts that are linked to two or more specific > catagories. Can this be done, if so how? The Category field is non-sortable because it is a multi...

population pyramids using bar charts with a secondary axis
I have a problem that I had given up as unsolvable, but after recently learning about secondary axes, I've made encouraging progress. However, I'm stuck on the last step(s), and I'm hoping that someone will have some suggestions. My organization has been producing reports that contain population pyramids. In the past, all of their reports have been printed, so it didn't matter that in order to get the desired look, they had to use two charts slightly overlapping each other. However, we are getting to the point where we would like our charts to be available online for download....

Using OLE DB in MFC Project
Hi, I have developed an MFC application. I now want to add database functionality to it. I have had a look at the various database technologies and have decided to try using direct OLE DB rather than ADO as it is faster. However I have noticed that in tutorials it is recommended to use the wizards in an ATL project. As i have said before my application has been written in MFC. I was wondering how easy it is to add direct OLE DB to my MFC application. I would appreciate suggesstions on how i can manage this, Thanks In Advance Macca ...

Excel 2000 running on Windows XP SP2 does not properly open CSV fi
The same file opened in using Excel 2000 running in Windows 2000 Pro open properly. The rows and columns are formatted properly. The same Excel 2000 opening the same CSV file but on Windows XP SP2 will not properly format the rows and columns. Hi check your regionals ettings in Windows ('Start - Control Panel') I'd suspect you have different column delimiters specified (comas versus semicolons for example) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Oscar" <Oscar@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4985F8F5-5D33-425E-989C-65529CE63D05@mic...

Custom Reports Using MS Access?
Ran across a thread where Glen Adams suggested using MS Access to create custom reports instead of Crystal Reports. But Glenn never said where to point Access to obtain the needed information to create the reports. Glenn, if you are watching can you give us some more info on how to use Access to create a report? I'm not Glen... I think you would use ODBC... to connect to the RMS database. Then use Access to connect via ODBC... Marc Wagner www.gmroii.net "Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0df801c46ea7$d79b00b0$a601280a@phx.gbl... &g...

Word 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have created several files in Word 2008 using templates (.dot) files previously used with Word 2003/2007. Unfortunately, my customer keeps receiving an error when opening the new file I create. The new file (created in .doc format) has some hidden data that is pointing to the template folder on my Mac. The error looks like: Could not open: 'user:Libarary:Application Support:Microsoft:Offce:User Templates:template.dot My customer can fix this error by using the remove hidden data tool inside Office 2003, but that&...

How can I change the program used when following a hyperlink
I have a database which uses hyperlinks to take me to a set of image files, gif & jpeg. I have recently moved to Firefox. If I click on a link to a gif file it opens in Firefox, but if I do the same for a jpg it persists in using IE. The file association for jpg files on the computer are to Photoshop. But I prefer opening the links in the browser as I am only viewing, not editing, the files Anyone got any ideas JimR Use a button that when clicked calls this code (pass in the value on the hyperlink field): Public Sub OpenWebPage(url As String) Dim browser As Vari...

Invoices
Hi, I am using Excel to produce invoices for my son. The one I have made up works well - Just insert "Prce per item, and Number, then total price and tax are calculated by using formulae. The only thing that slows the job is that I have to put in the customers address. There are only about 40 of them, and I have them listed. Is there any way I can use "Auto Complete" to insert the Address after I put in the name ? Or should I put the name/add in a database and impot them ? Thanks for any help Gordon Hi Gordon i've put together a sample workbo...

Shared Contacts Master Categories question
I need to have 50 users on Outlook/Exchange specify a number of contacts that need to be exported to another system. I had my Exchange admin give me shared access to each of the mailboxes in question. My plan was to go through each set of contacts, and add a new category to the master categories for each user. When I got the the second contact, the keyword identifier was already there! It looks like Outlook/Exchange is allowing me access to the correct contacts, but is using my master category list. How can I access and update each users category master list? Isn't this kept ...

counting using multiple criteria
Hi, I have a problem for which I can't seem to find a working solution. On the one hand I have a vertical table with employee names, the number of years they have been with the company, and all this sorted by the employee's age (in years). This table will be updated from time to time, and as such it doesn't have a fixed length. On the other hand I have a table which shows the number of employees in a particular age category (-20, 21-25, 26-30, etc) horizontally, and the number of years they have been with the company (again in groups: 0-5 yrs, 5-10 yrs, etc) vertically. ...

keeping footer from resizing when using the fit to page function
How do I keep the footer from shrinking in excel when i use the "fit to page" option for my worksheets. I'd like it to stay the same size no matter what the font of the worksheet is. ...

Database using Access 2.0
Our church purchased Church Windows software. When we asked if we could import our members from our existing database Greentree CDMS they said we couldn't because CW is an Access 2.0 database and we don't have that software. What would be the benefit of still using Access 2.0 for software development? Thanks, Linda Hi Linda I doubt there are many new programs being written in Access 2. It was a great piece of software, and many databases were writing using it. I don't know Church Windows, but I am guessing that it was written back in the Access 2 days (around 1994), ...

scripting adding obj-users and mdb-use-defaults to exchange 5.5 users
I have successfully created a script for creating exchange 5.5 users. I can't however, figure out how to add the assoc-nt-account to the obj-users [pseudo attribute] or set MDB-Use-Defaults to True :-( Can anyone offer advice on how to do this [other than generate a CSV file and use the exchange admin tool to import it]? Thanks Wayne ...

Use Datedif but for future dates
I have a formula for identifying years, months, days from a past date to now. DATEDIF(C6,NOW(),"y")&" Y, "& DATEDIF(C6,NOW(),"ym")& " M, " & DATEDIF(C6,NOW(),"md") & " D" I'd like a formula that can produce the same format (years, months, days) between now and a future date. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Bart Hi Bart Try this with the date in A2 =IF(TODAY()<=A2,DATEDIF(TODAY(),A2,"Y") & " y " & DATEDIF(TODAY(),A2,"ym") & " m","-"&...

Creating opportunity using CRM api
Looking for an example of how to load the crm api to create an opportunity using C#. I'm way new to this and have downloaded the CRM 3.0 sdk but not sure how I access the information it contains. What I'm hoping to find is an example of creating an opportunity with just the necessary information so I can build on it from there. I appreciate any help! Hi Jeffa When you install the SDk you will notice there is a help file in the installed directory of the SDK, I think it is crmsdk3_0.chm Open the helpfile and search for create, there are lots of examples let me know if you get s...

Printout Method
In building a form to allow users to print a "blank form" I've constructed as an Access Report, I'd like the user to be able to select the number of copies to print. It looks like the PrintOut Method would be a good choice for this, but I'm not smart enough to know quite how to get the "Copies" argument to get its input from the textbox on my form, where the user will enter the number of copies they'd like to print. Suggestions? -- Thanks, Croy Does the report have a record source? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP If I have helped you, please help...

Use of user's group with W2000
Two things: 1-If no MVP can answer a question, someone should tell the questioner so he/she can move on. Frustration is high enough without being ignored. 2-It is grossly unfair that I can't post questions because I have W2000 and am limited to Explorer6. I can't even get to this page. Microsoft should not squeeze us out of the loop. (I borrowed a friend's computer with XP and explorer7 to write this and to post my unaswered question.) ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for th...

Using Regular expressions in Excell 2007
I have code written in excell 2003 where I use Regular Expressions 'heavily'. In Excell 2003 you had to import the RegExp library to be able to use it. Is Regular Expressions part of VBA in Excell 2007? or do you still need to import the RegExp library? Same as in Excel 2003, the library is part of IE not Excel or VBA. -- HTH Bob "ncunha" <ncunha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7EF31D63-6C38-451B-9CEF-2E091DA7B2E7@microsoft.com... >I have code written in excell 2003 where I use Regular Expressions > 'heavily'...

how to use "barcode" in excel 2000??
Dear all, i would like to set up an inventory system for recording the stuff. previously, i have a long table of data in excel. i need to do some tasks: 1)print the barcode out for each item 2)scan the barcode for checking the inventory. i have no idea how to start, install barcode fonts? what i have to buy and do i need to write "MARCOS"? Please help me! manymany thanks. gg It depends on how you intend printing the labels. If you're wanting simple all in one solution, 'Bizfonts' (http://www.bizfonts.com/) ca help. Another way is to use a 'bar code module (ht...

How do I create an A3 size document using Windows 7
A3 is not listed in the pre-set schedule of document sizes in Windows 7 (unlike previous versions of Windows). How do I create such a document using Windows 7? Does your printer support A3? Word/Windows will display the paper sizes supported by the default (or currently active) printer. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "A3 documents in Windows 7" <A3 documents in Windows 7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F2647F06-5560-41A6-9C2F-462E6198C989@microsoft.com... > A3 is ...

Use specific printer for reports in view mode
I designed a report using printer HP5000 PLC6 and the paper size is A3 in landscape. When I open the report in my laptop and I want to show the report in my resentation, it can not showed all contents of the reort, just a hals is shown, my question is how can we assign this printer to this reprot when I open it, although I do not need to print it, this is just for my resentation. My printer default in mypc is lHP desckjet 690c -- H. Frank Situmorang Might try installing the printer driver for the HP5000 PLC6. Might try suing the printer "Microsoft Office Document Image Writer&qu...

PO Receipt and Invoice Match
In what GP table is a PO Receipt and the matching Invoice Number stored? Thanks! Bryan Banner, Look in POP30300 AND POP10300. Regards, -- Mohammad R. Daoud MCP, MCBMSP, MCTS, MCBMSS Mob: +962 - 79 -999 65 85 Great Package For Business Solutions daoudm@greatpbs.com http://www.greatpbs.com http://mohdaoud.blogspot.com/ "Banner" wrote: > In what GP table is a PO Receipt and the matching Invoice Number stored? > > Thanks! > > Bryan Banner, Look in POP30300 AND POP10300. Regards, -- Mohammad R. Daoud MCP, MCBMSP, MCTS, MCBMSS Mob: +962 - 79 -999 65 85 Great P...

Formula Not Working Properly
I have the formula below and have tried copying it down column in macro. It will calculate the first cell "Q2" properly, but copies the same calculation from Q2 to all other cells. If I click in the formula and then the check mark to the left of formula, it calculates properly in the cell. How can I make it calculate properly from the macro? Also the range will change with each import to the worksheet the macro is applied to. How can I write the macro to apply to all cells in column Q where there is data in other columns in formula? Range("Q2").Sel...

Using conditions in WF Sales Processes
I'm creating a workflow process that I am trying to implement in MSCRM. The problem is that within each Stage, I have activities that should be dependent on the completion of the previous activity. The easiest way to solve this is to go beyond the 5 step Sales Process and create a new Stage for each successive activity. However, in the Sales Process tab this is quite unsightly. I've tried using a normal manual WF as a subprocess to the Sales Process WF. This works, but it gives me 2 problems: 1. The WF Subprocess does not appear in the Opportunity Sales Process Tab. The customer want...

Will pay for need help and occasional advise on using excel ....
"sorry if this is off post ...will be my last" Thx in advance for your help and interest. i am an independant oil and gas consultant and have a fair amount of computer experience but, am absolutely lost when it comes to data bases .... i found a database online (in .php format) that contains names, addresses, phone numbers, fax numbers and email addresses of companies and people within the oil and gas industry ... i want to be able to utilize this db in excel so i can sort certain companies or people and use excels "mail merge" system to send them emails. ...